Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Wow, any news/rumors?

First

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Good move by Swedespeed to create these two new sections.

As I recall saying before, here we are in mid 2016 and I somewhat surprised about the lack of any information or even any confirmed spy shots of any of the SPA 60 series cars (yes I've seen the thread in the News/Rumours Section but I think opinion is divided as to what it is). I thought the original timetable for the 60 series was the XC60 appearing in early-mid 2017. Certainly thought we would be some well advanced spy shots by now. With all of the recent news about the 40 Series I'm beginning to wonder if Volvo are prioritising the 40 Series at the expense of the 60 Series.

Tony

I don't know if they even have a finished prototype yet, these are the last on the list of new cars, 2019 at the earliest
      Email: jrl1194(at)aol.com
      If the subject is car purchase related please use jrl1194(at)gmail.com
      2007 V70 2.5T White/Oak 108K miles, new daily driver
      2000 V70R wife's. Won't sell, now 139K miles and still near perfect
      2000 S70 GLT SE 30,005 MILES, A time capsule!

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I was told by someone in the know I will likely be able to lease an SPA XC60 next June or by the end of the lease extension Volvo Cars Financial Services offers those waiting for a new order.

Or in other words, XC60 should launch next year.

The V40 is actually last on the list for replacement now, I believe. The XC40 was accelerated, but V40 is not the same priority.
      Current: 2015 V60 T6 AWD R-Design | Electric Silver / Nubtex | Platinum eBLIS Tech HFS [Long-Term Review Thread]
      Future: 2017 V90 T6 AWD XC | Osmium Grey / Charcoal | Convenience Bowers&Wlkins gHUD 4C+Rear Air Suspension [Long-Term Review & Microblog Thread]
      Past: 1995 Volvo 854 T-5R | 2001 Volvo V70 XC 2.4T AWD | 2007 Volvo XC70 2.5T AWD

Quote Originally Posted by matt1122 View Post
      I was told by someone in the know I will likely be able to lease an SPA XC60 next June or by the end of the lease extension Volvo Cars Financial Services offers those waiting for a new order.

Or in other words, XC60 should launch next year.

The V40 is actually last on the list for replacement now, I believe. The XC40 was accelerated, but V40 is not the same priority.
      Did I miss the concept shots of the XC60 then? Why would they show V40 and XC40 concepts and not the XC60 first? Or again, did I miss these when they were shown?

2008 S40 Barents Blue
      2011 S80 Electric Silver - RIP
      2013 XC60 Electric Silver

They don't need a concept for 60 series. The 2014 concept cars were designed later than XC90 anyways.

Just make XC60 remotely like the XC Coupe concept and it will win.

Quote Originally Posted by goVolvo View Post
      They don't need a concept for 60 series. The 2014 concept cars were designed later than XC90 anyways.

Like the original S60 Polestar was like the 2015.5 Polestar, you mean?

Or the S90 was like the concept?

Volvo management has said that the 90, 60 and 40 series will be distinctly different in appearance. I think they should've shown /something/ by now.

2008 S40 Barents Blue
      2011 S80 Electric Silver - RIP
      2013 XC60 Electric Silver

Quote Originally Posted by JRL View Post
      I don't know if they even have a finished prototype yet, these are the last on the list of new cars, 2019 at the earliest
      The 60-series was supposed to after the 90-series, then the 40-series near 2019, making the XC90 the oldest in the line-up. I have a slide somewhere that Volvo presented. Perhaps things have changed.
      chris@swedespeed.com | instagram.com/swedespeed
      2013 C30 Polestar - #141/250 -
      Rebel Blue, 6MT, Climate, RearVision camera
      2016 XC90 R-Design T6 - Passion Red, air suspension, B&W, Vision, Convenience, Polestar
      2015.5 V60 T6 R-Design Platinum - Rebel Blue, snabb intake, do88 FMIC, KPAX exhaust, KW V3 coilovers

The 40-series concepts were launched to highlight the new platform, just like the concept Coupe, Estate, and XC Coupe.

It had not been shown off at all so far, and with the first model due in production next year (XC40) they have started trying to build interest and let the world know it's coming.

The SPA platform has already been shown off in the three concepts I mentioned above. The 60-series cars will be launched as the models roll out. We were told not to expect concepts for any other SPA vehicles.

This has been expressed in a numbers articles I've seen in the past year and posts here on SS by people who work for Volvo or otherwise seem to know what's going on long before the rest of us would through other sources.
      Current: 2015 V60 T6 AWD R-Design | Electric Silver / Nubtex | Platinum eBLIS Tech HFS [Long-Term Review Thread]
      Future: 2017 V90 T6 AWD XC | Osmium Grey / Charcoal | Convenience Bowers&Wlkins gHUD 4C+Rear Air Suspension [Long-Term Review & Microblog Thread]
      Past: 1995 Volvo 854 T-5R | 2001 Volvo V70 XC 2.4T AWD | 2007 Volvo XC70 2.5T AWD

While I'm pleased to read several informed comments here still pointing toward a 2017 release of the XC60, my surprise at the lack of pictures of prototypes running around remains. I compare this situation with that of BMW's next generation X3. It also is looking at a mid-late 2017 release and for several months now we've seen multiple examples of both heavily and lightly camouflaged next gen X3s. Just this morning some photos of the expected X3M performance variant running around the Nurburgring. We've even seen interior spy shots of the new X3's dash. But nothing on the new XC60.

Tony

Quote Originally Posted by chris@swedespeed View Post
      The 60-series was supposed to after the 90-series, then the 40-series near 2019, making the XC90 the oldest in the line-up. I have a slide somewhere that Volvo presented. Perhaps things have changed.
      May we see that slide?

Quote Originally Posted by chris@swedespeed View Post
      I was told a long time ago (maybe a year or two?) that Volvo was considering ways to develop the new 40-series alongside the 60-series without compromising the quality of either product.

I believe the CMA platform cooperation between Geely and Volvo ended up yielding the solution.

When I was told this, I was told that Volvo wanted to not only let the XC40 ride on the XC90's momentum before it died down, but that they also felt bringing out the XC40 sooner would increase the brand's momentum and help build serious cachet as a purveyor of luxury crossovers. It was viewed as something that must be done if at all possible, and as a potential way to greatly improve profitability of the CMA platform since the compact crossover segment is performing so well right now.

I don't remember if I posted something about this before, or if I decided not to because when I was told it I didn't know if I could trust the person feeding me this info or if they were just making it up.

More recently, I've been reading that the V40 may still be the last vehicle to be replaced despite the XC40's accelerated developing. Expanding upon this, I've developed a theory of my own. I believe it's possible - just possible - that the XC40 development team is going to be revealed to be the same team that is going to develop the entire lineup for this new Geely brand. This way, the new brand could truly ride on Volvo's (potential) success with the XC40 and come into the game not as an unknown but as a team that had already proven they were capable of developing a winning product.
      Last edited by matt1122; 05-22-2016 at 10:51 PM.

The forum title is now "SPA 2018-". Is it a hint 60 series will be in 2018?

The design timeline: XC90 -> XC Coupe Concept -> XC60, so 60 does not need more concept cars.
      Don't know if S90 is later or earlier than Concept Coupe though.

Still the biggest issue with new Volvo models is that they are introduced to soon. Way before anything is available for the consumer. By the time it is the momentum is gone and the attention is gone.

Latest examples, S90, V90, Polestar parts. XC90 took it's time also.
      '17 Volvo S60 Polestar '15 XC60T5 Polestarised '15 Polestar V60 '13 C70T5 Polestar optimised

The forum title is now "SPA 2018-". Is it a hint 60 series will be in 2018?
      I believe it's probably referencing MY2018.

Don't know if S90 is later or earlier than Concept Coupe though.
      Based on what Thomas Ingenlath has said, the S90's final design was modified based upon feedback he received regarding the concept coupe.

So it sounds like it was done, then the coupe was revealed, then they made a few changes to make it closer to the concept.

Quote Originally Posted by Johann View Post
      Still the biggest issue with new Volvo models is that they are introduced to soon. Way before anything is available for the consumer. By the time it is the momentum is gone and the attention is gone.
      I'm just guessing, but Volvo is favoring opening up orders and giving people something to wait for over announcing closer to the release date and leaving them waiting long enough to say "well, I guess I'll just buy an Audi."

I was told a long time ago (maybe a year or two?) that Volvo was considering ways to develop the new 40-series alongside the 60-series without compromising the quality of either product.

I believe the CMA platform cooperation between Geely and Volvo ended up yielding the solution.

When I was told this, I was told that Volvo wanted to not only let the XC40 ride on the XC90's momentum before it died down, but that they also felt bringing out the XC40 sooner would increase the brand's momentum and help build serious cachet as a purveyor of luxury crossovers. It was viewed as something that must be done if at all possible, and as a potential way to greatly improve profitability of the CMA platform since the compact crossover segment is performing so well right now.

I don't remember if I posted something about this before, or if I decided not to because when I was told it I didn't know if I could trust the person feeding me this info or if they were just making it up.

More recently, I've been reading that the V40 may still be the last vehicle to be replaced despite the XC40's accelerated developing. Expanding upon this, I've developed a theory of my own. I believe it's possible - just possible - that the XC40 development team is going to be revealed to be the same team that is going to develop the entire lineup for this new Geely brand. This way, the new brand could truly ride on Volvo's (potential) success with the XC40 and come into the game not as an unknown but as a team that had already proven they were capable of developing a winning product.
      It seemed reasonable to me. Just look at how popular small SUV's are in China with the news saying it will surpass the US to become the largest luxury car market the strategy make sense to me.

I agree! Just add two doors!

Rebel Blue, the new red! Intro & Updates Link
      Current: '15 V60 T6 3.0 AWD RD Plat | '15.5 XC60 T6 3.0 AWD Ocean Race Plat
      Prior: '15 S60 T6 3.0 RD Plat

I'm wondering if the new SPA 60-series launch will coincide with the completion of the South Carolina assembly facility?
      '83 242 Burgundy w/B230FT, '06 V50 Barents T5 AWD, '10 S40 Ice White T5 AWD,
      '12 C30 Ice White T5 R Design w/Polestar, and '13 C30 Rebel LE #189/250
      ALL MANUAL TRANSMISSIONS

Manual Volvos for Life

Quote Originally Posted by Bmo Pete View Post
      I agree! Just add two doors!

No! I want a 3 door XC coupe on SPA. More room for my shoulder, elbow & legs. Plus a backseat plausible for 3 kids in a pinch if it's 60-sized.

CMA might work, but only later in life once kids are driving themselves. And that's a long way off...
      2004 XC90 2.5T AWD - BSR ECU upgrade, ViVA strut bar conversion, IPD sway bars/end links/subframe bushing inserts, OE 336mm front rotors, Nokian WRG3. 175K miles and counting
      2011 Sienna AWD - wife + 3 kids (incl. twins). 85K miles and counting (down)
      XC Coupe PHEV - waiting patiently (and expecting a very long wait)

The 3 door will never happen. Volvo would sell maybe 5 per year.

Remember this cool near upscale Isuzu 3 door; indeed a concept show car practically put right into production? Younger folks, like myself at the time, were very keen on this "tricked-out" 3 door sport ute, but we couldn't afford the price. The same fate would await a 3 door XC.

Quote Originally Posted by Bmo Pete View Post
      The 3 door will never happen. Volvo would sell maybe 5 per year.

Remember this cool near upscale Isuzu 3 door; indeed a concept show car practically put right into production? Younger folks, like myself at the time, were very keen on this "tricked-out" 3 door sport ute, but we couldn't afford the price. The same fate would await a 3 door XC.

I don't think you're wrong, I just hope you are...
      2004 XC90 2.5T AWD - BSR ECU upgrade, ViVA strut bar conversion, IPD sway bars/end links/subframe bushing inserts, OE 336mm front rotors, Nokian WRG3. 175K miles and counting
      2011 Sienna AWD - wife + 3 kids (incl. twins). 85K miles and counting (down)
      XC Coupe PHEV - waiting patiently (and expecting a very long wait)

Me too. Plus Isuzu was Isuzu. Not exactly a trusted or desirable brand.

Me too. Plus Isuzu was Isuzu. Not exactly a trusted or desirable brand.
      Actually back then it was. There were about a million Troopers and Rodeo's running around the US at the time. Few yuppie families could resist the Trooper mid-size SUV fashion. Then came the roll-over controversy.

Maybe it was in some places, but I don't remember it that way. I was also young, though, so my perception may not have reflected adult perception.

I remember people calling the Acura SLX an overpriced Isuzu and not having a lot of respect for it.

Then again, they were the people driving X5's to school.

Borås / sweden

Quote Originally Posted by medels View Post

Borås / sweden
      Wish he has a passenger that can shot more pics.

Wish he has a passenger that can shot more pics.
      It's only a question of time until we have higher resolution pictures. So far it is amazing to see that these are really XC60 and not XC90 prototypes. Though they look very similar at first sight, the shape of the hatch is slightly different, and the side windows seem to be less upright.

Hope to see it this out year!

Hope to see it this out year!
      What do you define as "out"? Understand its to be officially revealed at the Paris Car Show in October with on-sale dates not until well into next year.

Pleased we have finally seen some "confirmed" shots of the new XC60.

Tony

For me it is more about looking than driving one. The next car I'd buy is V90CC. XC60 will be for my kid several years away.

Sent from my N9130 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by brissim View Post
      Understand its to be officially revealed at the Paris Car Show in October with on-sale dates not until well into next year.
      Don't you think that's a bit too soon? There's the S/V90 R-Design and the V90CC yet to be unveiled and the production for those starts around mid November.

Anyway here's more pictures;

2011 Volvo S60 D5 AWD Flamenco Red *SOLD*
      1997 Volvo S90 Nautic Blue

Quote Originally Posted by ElectroNoire View Post
      Don't you think that's a bit too soon? There's the S/V90 R-Design and the V90CC yet to be unveiled and the production for those starts around mid November.
      For the S90 (and the XC90 as well!), it took 6 months from the body-clad production prototypes to the presentation. If the same applies to the XC60, it will be presented in December. For the presentation of the R-Design and Cross Country versions of the S90/V90, there will be enough time until then.

I like to see that Volvo is increasing its development of new models, so that they can reach their goal of the XC90 being their oldest car in 2019. Currently, there are three protypes being tested at the same time (early XC40 mule, V90CC and XC60). In China, S90L as well.

Looks like it might look more like the Concept XC.

based on this

Quote Originally Posted by ElectroNoire View Post

You are probably correct. To be honest I'd forgot the V90CC is yet to be officially unveiled. So we might not even see the XC60 launched this year. But thankfully - with the emergence of these photos - things seem on track with the XC60 for a mid 2017 on-sale date.

Tony

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast