C70 Trunk Lift Yellow Button Issue-
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

C70 Trunk Lift Yellow Button Issue-

Hi SwedeSpeed!

Finally got my hands on a 2011 Ember Black C70 Platinum Edition. Very nice ride.

The only flaw I've got so far (eeek) is the Yellow Top Lifter button in Trunk appears to do nothing.
      Worse, when I push it- (if the top is down) I get an error on the console stating "Top Malfunction, See Manual"

I can then lift the top back up which operates just fine- and if I leave the car the sensor seems to mellow out.

Ultimately the top mechanism seems to work great, just gets pissed off and does not function when I press the yellow button in the trunk.
      Is that controlled by some separate motors/sensors?

Lord knows any roof work is $$$$. So I figured I'd inquire here first.
      Not sure if anyone has had much problems with that little Yellow button before?

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Kind of sounds like a sensor issue to me. There are a bunch of sensors that tell the car the position of the roof, and if anything is not where expected you get that kind of message, which protects the roof from crashing into things and causing damage. Is it possible that the fold down trunk divider isn't seated securely? Maybe something stuck in the catch? I know that if it's not down and latched the top will not fold, but if you were trying to get something in or out of the trunk it could have popped loose after it was folded. Maybe wishful thinking, because this is likely a dealer only diagnosis.
      2016 S60 Inscription T5 AWD Platinum w/Climate and BLIS Osmium Grey/Soft Beige
      2007 c70 T5 Magic Blue
      Previous:
      2013 S60, 2003 xc70, 2002 v70, 1998 s70

And also welcome and congrats on the car!
      2016 S60 Inscription T5 AWD Platinum w/Climate and BLIS Osmium Grey/Soft Beige
      2007 c70 T5 Magic Blue
      Previous:
      2013 S60, 2003 xc70, 2002 v70, 1998 s70

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I agree, a reading from one of the sensors is probably inhibiting the roof from unlocking and lifting up to allow access. The dealer should be able to read off which sensor is causing the issue, and hopefully it just needs an adjustment or re-calibration...
      2012 C70 T5 A - Polestar Tune, Elevate downpipe, VIVA Performance exhaust, JR filter, GoVo ECU spacer, 19"x8.5" Polestar Rep wheels, H&R spacers, Volvo OEM lip spoiler, Heico front spoiler lips
      2005 V50 T5 M AWD - Passion Red/Graphite T-tec, sport pkg, Volvo body kit
      1998 S70 T5 M - Black/Graphite, 239whp/317wtq on old setup, List of mods

I hope you have emptied the trunk of EVERYthing. In my case I found objects can move in transit and roll against things that impede normal operation. Granted this is normal up/ down and not the storage feature you mention.
      When you say "I can lift the top back up" I assume you mean using the console switch to re-erect the top in the normal way. I am unaware of any way to physically lift the top while stored in the trunk in order to access the spare well, for example. I have seen no mention of this specific issue on the forums I have visited.

Welcome and hope to read your pixels regularly
      Last edited by tarhoosier; 06-28-2016 at 12:11 PM.

i find it really hard to get stuff out the trunk once the roof is up.

But +1 on being empty and objects moving around.

The trunk is quite empty, but I'll take a look and see if any sensors or latches can be noted.
      I -will- get the error that the top can't go down if the cargo item isn't in place.

However, with the cargo plastic in place, I receive no notices or sounds- the button (while lit) simply does no function, nor seems to make any noise.
      It is only when I go back to the front of the car I notice the error.
      I've seen the function work at the dealership on another car. I suppose if I can't troubleshoot it myself I can have it brought in soon enough.

Thanks! Please keep me posted if you see or have read anything in the past.

-G

I have just now remembered that on my 2011 when I lift the folded roof to access the trunk it rises nicely but when I push the yellow button to lower, it drops with startling speed (keep hands and objects out of the way) and then I hear noises and movement in the apparatus for several seconds as it returns to lift ready status (I presume). Is it possible that the "down" mechanism has not fully completed the cycle, thus the "up" will not operate? I think others will agree that the down process has additional noise and movement than the lift process.
      Once the top has been erected fully is there any sign of chafing, rubbing or any unnatural contact apparent on the roof or weather stripping? The roof can be examined in the service position, which means partially erected.

Quote Originally Posted by tarhoosier View Post
      I have just now remembered that on my 2011 when I lift the folded roof to access the trunk it rises nicely but when I push the yellow button to lower, it drops with startling speed (keep hands and objects out of the way) and then I hear noises and movement in the apparatus for several seconds as it returns to lift ready status (I presume). Is it possible that the "down" mechanism has not fully completed the cycle, thus the "up" will not operate? I think others will agree that the down process has additional noise and movement than the lift process.
      Once the top has been erected fully is there any sign of chafing, rubbing or any unnatural contact apparent on the roof or weather stripping? The roof can be examined in the service position, which means partially erected.
      Mine too slams down really hard. What you hear is the hooks turning into position to secure the roof in place ones it's down in the trunk. There is one on each side. I have the smarttop module and I realized I am able to see the whole process up close from start to finish. Get somebody else to hold the button and have a good look to see if anything looks out of place or out of line when opening/closing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by grt2106 View Post
      Hi SwedeSpeed!

Finally got my hands on a 2011 Ember Black C70 Platinum Edition. Very nice ride.

The only flaw I've got so far (eeek) is the Yellow Top Lifter button in Trunk appears to do nothing.
      Worse, when I push it- (if the top is down) I get an error on the console stating "Top Malfunction, See Manual"

I can then lift the top back up which operates just fine- and if I leave the car the sensor seems to mellow out.

Ultimately the top mechanism seems to work great, just gets pissed off and does not function when I press the yellow button in the trunk.

hi,
      I have the same problem with my 2011 C70, when i push the yellow button ( top down) I get the same error...I have a friend with DICE/VIDA and it seems to be a malfunction at "sensor hall number 3" at my car

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by grt2106 View Post
      Hi SwedeSpeed!

I found this:
      http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=253197

It refers to inside the trunk luggage lights but also diagnoses using the connector for the yellow button.

Quote Originally Posted by tarhoosier View Post
      I found this:
      http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=253197

It refers to inside the trunk luggage lights but also diagnoses using the connector for the yellow button.
      Will take a look when I get back to the car.

I had sensor hall #3 replaced in my 2008 a few months ago to remedy the same issue. Was about $213 for the sensor and labor if I remember correctly.

Had the hall sensor replaced which removed the error but then required a 'calibration'.
      Apparently after Calibration, the load assist button now does not generate an error, nor does it work.

If I try to press it with the top up, my display screen says "Top Fully Up". With the top down, no error- nor no trunk lift (load assist) working.
      Apparently no errors are present when using diagnostic tool.

My mechanic is a bit stumped, and I'm a couple hundred dollars in already. Any thoughts / suggestions?

This might be completely stupid, but I had an issue with the interior lighting and had to check a bunch of fuses to actually find the one that was causing the issue. Apparently sometimes a blown fuse can cause another electrical issue somewhere else. I read on other forums that it can cause weird electrical issues. Review them one by one, maybe you find something.

Quote Originally Posted by Socalc70 View Post
      This might be completely stupid, but I had an issue with the interior lighting and had to check a bunch of fuses to actually find the one that was causing the issue. Apparently sometimes a blown fuse can cause another electrical issue somewhere else. I read on other forums that it can cause weird electrical issues. Review them one by one, maybe you find something.

I'll give it a look. The only other thought is that I've got the SmartTop module, and somehow when the calibration process went through it could have been an issue. I'm not sure how the Lift Assist is calibrated, I was only told this was done.

Anyone know where the fuses related to this may be, or what the calibration process in shop is like?

Out of curiosity, did you ever resolve this issue? And if so, what was it?
      2012 C70 T5 A - Polestar Tune, Elevate downpipe, VIVA Performance exhaust, JR filter, GoVo ECU spacer, 19"x8.5" Polestar Rep wheels, H&R spacers, Volvo OEM lip spoiler, Heico front spoiler lips

Quote Originally Posted by rj240 View Post
      Out of curiosity, did you ever resolve this issue? And if so, what was it?
      Unfortunately I haven't yet... still troubleshooting before I take it to Volvo to check for a recalibration.

Turns out Id seldom use the feature I guess.

:\

Thanks for the update!

Sent from my STV100-3 using Tapatalk

23. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements