Bike rack ideas
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Thread: Bike rack ideas

Question Bike rack ideas

Anyone have any suggestions for a bike that mounts to the trunk deck before I go overpay at REI? Only need it to hold one bike. Can't find much online for the C70.
      2013 Volvo C70 T5 Polestar | Ember Black, 18" MIDIR, Brown Leather, Fully Loaded
      Past: 2011 Volvo V50 T5 | Gray, black leather, custom rims

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I think that may be because of the way the decklid operates (both ways). Some liability in there suggesting a bike rack will "fit" the C70. Either way, if you do get one, please be careful and check clearances so you know what the decklid will and won't do with the rack installed ... and I'd love to see pics .

I do own a rack which is supposed to fit the trunk lid (Eckla Grizzly, but that's a German product which doesn't seem to get exported). But I don't dare to use it, since it already messed up the paint on my old C70.
      Since I don't expect anything standing on the lid to be paint friendly, my personal plan is to get a trailer hitch and a rack for that.
      Last edited by Olstyle; 07-04-2016 at 12:34 AM.
      C70 I 2.0 -> C70 II T5 -> the Moon?

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I just take mine apart and put a blanket on the seats. NP..

I think you can also attach a hitch to it

But the trunk deck.. oye SARIS?

http://www.bikehub.co.za/forum/topic...er-bike-racks/

check out the g35/37 coupe. I would windshield mount on a short trip, np

Bike rack ideas

we already had a hitch mount yakima 4 bike rack so i decided it'd be nice to be able to bring a couple of bikes on a romantic weekend getaway with the wife. bought a hitch, self installed easily like the ones we've had on a legacy wagon, odyssey and prius. no cutting of bumpers or anything, maybe had to drop the muffler, can't remember.

wouldn't recommend it.

the hitch doesn't stick out far enough for the bike rack to clear the bumper. i bought an extension, and while that gives bumper clearance, it's a jiggly-mess. just didn't look right with 2 bikes and a rack dangling and bouncing around way out there. driveways or speed bumps were spine tingling/nerve wracking. not romantic at all. took it off after that 1 trip. waste of $150. lesson learned.

if we plan to be sporty, better to take any of the other cars
      Last edited by jschinito; 07-04-2016 at 07:14 PM.
      2008 C70 GT - Black/Black/Nordic Oak
      Shark Tune - GoVo ECU Spacer - Ford e-Focus Mount - Koni FSD - Elevate SwayBar - Massive Camber Arms - Centric Rotors - Akebono Pads - Nokian Z-Line 235/45/18 - Mods4cars SmartTop - Llumar/Madico Tint - E46 Bi-Xenon Retrofit w/ZKW-R Lens Morimoto XB35 - LED Int/Ext/Halos - Fryalip - Fumoto Valve

Just realized I never tried my saris on my C70. As you can see, it won't fit due to the antenna.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Quick Brick View Post
      I think that may be because of the way the decklid operates (both ways). Some liability in there suggesting a bike rack will "fit" the C70. Either way, if you do get one, please be careful and check clearances so you know what the decklid will and won't do with the rack installed ... and I'd love to see pics .
      I completely agree. I'd obviously be smart about the rack being taken off for operation of the top. I think I found a few models that may work. Thule has one that should reach.

Quote Originally Posted by socal_C70 View Post
      I just take mine apart and put a blanket on the seats. NP..
      I think you can also attach a hitch to it
      But the trunk deck.. oye SARIS?
      Yes, the trunk deck model. To only be on when transporting a bike, and definitely removed before operating the top. I like the hitch idea, I've seen them, but I want something less destructive to curb appeal. The bike I got, a Scott e-Sub Tour is a heavy giant urban bike, wouldn't fit in the seat if I tried. And that's top down/up.

Quote Originally Posted by Socalc70 View Post
      Just realized I never tried my saris on my C70. As you can see, it won't fit due to the antenna.
      Thanks for trying. I completely forgot about that shark fin. I'll have to definitely rethink the plan here and measure it.

Quote Originally Posted by jschinito View Post
      we already had a hitch mount yakima 4 bike rack so i decided it'd be nice to be able to bring a couple of bikes on a romantic weekend getaway with the wife. bought a hitch, self installed easily like the ones we've had on a legacy wagon, odyssey and prius. no cutting of bumpers or anything, maybe had to drop the muffler, can't remember. wouldn't recommend it.
      the hitch doesn't stick out far enough for the bike rack to clear the bumper. i bought an extension, and while that gives bumper clearance, it's a jiggly-mess. just didn't look right with 2 bikes and a rack dangling and bouncing around way out there. driveways or speed bumps were spine tingling/nerve wracking. not romantic at all. took it off after that 1 trip. waste of $150. lesson learned.
      if we plan to be sporty, better to take any of the other cars
      I live a few miles from the trail heads of my favorite spots, I'd probably consider something else on longer distances. I appreciate the advice, I'm not really for the hitch anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by Olstyle View Post
      I do own a rack which is supposed to fit the trunk lid (Eckla Grizzly, but that's a German product which doesn't seem to get exported). But I don't dare to use it, since it already messed up the paint on my old C70.
      Since I don't expect anything standing on the lid to be paint friendly, my personal plan is to get a trailer hitch and a rack for that.
      Thanks for the input.
      2013 Volvo C70 T5 Polestar | Ember Black, 18" MIDIR, Brown Leather, Fully Loaded

Quote Originally Posted by socal_C70 View Post
      http://www.bikehub.co.za/forum/topic...er-bike-racks/
      check out the g35/37 coupe. I would windshield mount on a short trip, np
      This would be epic. Hahaha

Quote Originally Posted by redneckitengineer View Post
      Scott e-Sub Tour is a heavy giant urban bike, wouldn't fit in the seat if I tried. And that's top down/up.
      yea, i really had to do some surgery on my mtb. Both wheels, seat post, handle bars and stem had to come off. and i had to wrap all the pedals and chains so it would not grease or scratch the leather. Took me an hour to get the thing in each time. And yea top down.. normally I enjoy the attention not this time

And then afterwards, washing all those darn towels and blankets cause the bike was dirty

So now yea I just ride local trails/roads or get picked up.

That suction cup one is a talon model. I've never seen one on the road.. And they only model it with high end light weight bikes https://www.seasucker.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Socalc70 View Post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      I have been using this http://www.saris.com/product/bones3 rack and it works like a charm easy to setup and take out (Takes me around 8 minutes to do it)

Quote Originally Posted by diefe88 View Post
      I have been using this http://www.saris.com/product/bones3 rack and it works like a charm easy to setup and take out (Takes me around 8 minutes to do it)
      I'm digging yours. Can you take a photo of it on and send it to me? I'd appreciate it. I like how it'll sit on the bumper lip.

Actually got my SuperJoeII (something like that) at REI a few years back. Only used it twice on the C70s(one time on the ragtop, one time on the '08). Tried the back seat a couple of times...only with the road bike, never the MTB. Kind of a pain; but very secure! Installed a Curt hitch on the '11 but only used it twice. Stuck out far enough to drag the garage entry apron when pulling in forward, would NOT clear the apron to back in! Used my bike rack twice with that and now it sits in the garage...didn't bother switching the hitch to the '13. No easy answer, I'm afraid(for me, the FIAT 500L is the bike transporting vehicle for the past year or so. The XC60 was an expensive but nice alternative for a few years ).

Carpooling with a friend might be the best answer.
      Current: '13 C70 Caspian Blue 2015 FIAT 500L Lounge Grigio Chiaro...until Volvo brings the XC40 to the States!!!
      Previous Volvos[/I]: '11 C70 Ice White;
      Polestar ,'10 XC60 T6 Electric Silver; '08 C70, '07 XC70, '04 V70', '04 C70, '01 S40, '80 242 GT '72 145

I'm digging yours. Can you take a photo of it on and send it to me? I'd appreciate it. I like how it'll sit on the bumper lip.
      Unfortunately I can't, I don't have the car with me anymore.
      The advantage is that the bones 3 has 2 arms for the top and the antenna sits in the middle of them.
      The only con that I have is that the side fasteners slide all the way back in the trunk and start touching the taillight. I was always afraid it might put a lot of pressure and break them, it was never the case though.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Sitting at the airport in Portland, flying home with the new bike. I guess I'm going to have to install the hitch. The more I talk to people around the trunk based models and scratches, the more I don't want it. It doesn't help I bought a bike that weighs 50lbs. Oh well. Anyone have any ideas what a hitch would cost?

Volvo doesn't offer one for the C70's, so you'll have to go with an aftermarket hitch. Not sure who would make one...
      2012 C70 T5 A - Polestar Tune, Elevate downpipe, VIVA Performance exhaust, JR filter, GoVo ECU spacer, 19"x8.5" Polestar Rep wheels, H&R spacers, Volvo OEM lip spoiler, Heico front spoiler lips
      2005 V50 T5 M AWD - Passion Red/Graphite T-tec, sport pkg, Volvo body kit
      1998 S70 T5 M - Black/Graphite, 239whp/317wtq on old setup, List of mods

Not for the North American market, and you can't mount a bike rack on that type of European hitch.
      2012 C70 T5 A - Polestar Tune, Elevate downpipe, VIVA Performance exhaust, JR filter, GoVo ECU spacer, 19"x8.5" Polestar Rep wheels, H&R spacers, Volvo OEM lip spoiler, Heico front spoiler lips

Quote Originally Posted by rj240 View Post
      Not for the North American market, and you can't mount a bike rack on that type of European hitch.
      Volvo even sells the rack:
      http://accessories.volvocars.com/en-...1/T5/Automatic
      Of course I don't know which parts are directly sold in the US, but at least via import there are the hitch as well as the rack (and there used to be a combination offer on both).

Volvo even sells the rack:
      http://accessories.volvocars.com/en-...1/T5/Automatic
      Of course I don't know which parts are directly sold in the US, but at least via import there are the hitch as well as the rack (and there used to be a combination offer on both).
      Sorry, I should have been more precise. North American bike racks don't mount on that type of Europe hitch.

Sorry, I didn't realize that there even are an European and an North American way of towing(-hitches).

It looks as if the Europe model has the ball built in where as US has the square hole and peg design for whatever size ball or accessory. I'll call my local dealer in the morning and see what they say. Worst case I get an aftermarket one. Or I just never ride away from home, lol.

Bike rack ideas

bought mine on amazon. around $150
      easy to install (just need to lower exhaust). but again, i don't really recommend a hitch-mount bike rack on our car...
      Last edited by jschinito; 07-27-2016 at 02:37 PM.
      2008 C70 GT - Black/Black/Nordic Oak
      Shark Tune - GoVo ECU Spacer - Ford e-Focus Mount - Koni FSD - Elevate SwayBar - Massive Camber Arms - Centric Rotors - Akebono Pads - Nokian Z-Line 235/45/18 - Mods4cars SmartTop - Llumar/Madico Tint - E46 Bi-Xenon Retrofit w/ZKW-R Lens Morimoto XB35 - LED Int/Ext/Halos - Fryalip - Fumoto Valve

Sitting at the airport in Portland, flying home with the new bike. I guess I'm going to have to install the hitch. The more I talk to people around the trunk based models and scratches, the more I don't want it. It doesn't help I bought a bike that weighs 50lbs. Oh well. Anyone have any ideas what a hitch would cost?
      I missed the comment about the 50# bike on my first read!!! FIFTY POUNDS??? Is it an EBike? a tandem??? Dang! My 29er pushes 30# and I think it's a SLUG !!!

As I mentioned somewhere, we installed a Curt hitch on the '11 and used a Saris rack with good results...just didn't use it very often with the XC60 then RDX parked in the same garage. Pretty sure our hitch was under $120 installed. I'd be hesitant to put a 50# bike on a trunk rack on our vehicles.
      Current: '13 C70 Caspian Blue 2015 FIAT 500L Lounge Grigio Chiaro...until Volvo brings the XC40 to the States!!!
      Previous Volvos[/I]: '11 C70 Ice White;
      Polestar ,'10 XC60 T6 Electric Silver; '08 C70, '07 XC70, '04 V70', '04 C70, '01 S40, '80 242 GT '72 145

Quote Originally Posted by coachrick View Post
      I missed the comment about the 50# bike on my first read!!! FIFTY POUNDS??? Is it an EBike? a tandem??? Dang! My 29er pushes 30# and I think it's a SLUG !!!

As I mentioned somewhere, we installed a Curt hitch on the '11 and used a Saris rack with good results...just didn't use it very often with the XC60 then RDX parked in the same garage. Pretty sure our hitch was under $120 installed. I'd be hesitant to put a 50# bike on a trunk rack on our vehicles.
      So I bought an eBike. Scott eSub Tour and it's about 44lbs to be exact. I really appreciate the help it gives when crawling up a steep TN hill. I ended up for now just taking the front wheel off and stuffing it on blankets in the backseat and the trunk.

Here's what I've been doing.

Last edited by redneckitengineer; 10-12-2016 at 05:43 PM. Reason: Photo Link Fixed

That's how I got my bike from the dealer in the old C70 (also a great way to transport a table). But I still like the II too much.

The frame fits just so. The wheels had to go in the back

My dealer offers a "leisure package" consisting of the hitch, mounting the hitch and a bike rack. I think one if these days I'll buy that.

The frame fits just so. The wheels had to go in the back

My dealer offers a "leisure package" consisting of the hitch, mounting the hitch and a bike rack. I think one if these days I'll buy that.
      how long did it take you to get the bike wrapped and in there?

My road bike takes me about 30 minutes.

15 minutes the first time (actually I took out the middle part of the bench after taking the photo), 5 minutes on the way back. But I think I made new dents in the sidepockets, so being a bit more thorough is advisable.

Got the Hitch installed today. This is how the back locks afterwards and the rack for it.

And installed with me new bike:

Not the cheapest solution but working great. I can still open the top and the trunk, going 130kph or above is no issue at all.
      Last edited by Olstyle; 04-12-2017 at 01:02 AM.

35. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements