How to: Locate and Recharge AC 2007+ S80
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

How to: Locate and Recharge AC 2007+ S80

Over the past year, my AC has been losing it's cool. I ended up finding the leak using some soapy water. It was the schrader valve on the high side port. I pressed it in slightly and it hissed. The leak then stopped. I tested it with soapy water, and no more bubbles. EASY FIX!

I looked high and low for the low side port, but couldn't find it! A parts diagram on the VOLVOPARTSWEBSTORE and TASCA Parts sites showes that there was a service port for the low side, but it was behind the firewall. I did some investigating today. There is a low side port on the S80 V8's. It's located under the window cowl. To access the port, pull out the push tabs as pictured below, remove the rubber seal along the cowl, and lift it up.

Close all valves on the manifold gauge and adapters. Connect the service adapters to the low and high ports, making sure they are in the CLOSED position before connecting. Once they are hooked up, open the ports on the adapters, open the hose-end side and you will get a reading on the manifold gauges. Turn on the car and have the AC run, with recirculation ON and the fan on high. Have someone step on the gas and hold the RPM at around 1800. The readings will fluctuate a bit and then settle at a reading.

My readings were fairly low.

Based on the ambient temp and the chart below, I needed to add R134A to bring the low side PSI up to spec.

Here is the set-up.

I closed the low port manifold valve and connected my R134A can. After piercing the can and opening the can valve, I pressed in the bleed valve above the Yellow line to purge the hose. I then slowly turned on the low side manifold valve and let the compressor suck in the freon. I kept watching the gauge, periodicaly closing the low side manifold valve to get a better reading. The system ended up taking about 1/4 can. After I was happy with the readings, i closed the manifold valves, the freon can valve, and the valves on the service ports. I then disconnected the service port adapters and capped the service ports. Below is a reading after I recharged the system.

Hopefully this guide will help you out. There are many how-to's on Youtube, specifically by Ericthecarguy and Chrisfix. They go into far more depth than I do, but hey, I found that low side port!!

THE HIGH PORT MANIFOLD VALVE WAS NEVER OPENED DURING THIS PROCEDURE
      Last edited by ieatglue; 07-12-2016 at 02:11 PM.
      Horsepower is how fast you hit a wall. Torque is how far you take that wall with you

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

So, do you need this set up or can you just measure and fill via the low pressure port, using like an AC PRO? Is there a reason in VIDA it says to "only fill with refrigerant on the high pressure side service value" for my 08 S80 T6? Granted it said the same for my 06 XC90 2.5T and I successfully filled only via the low pressure port.

I just used AC Pro succesfully. It is my speculation that filling only from the low pressure port makes it difficult to maximize pressurization. When the system is low, the refrigerant fills easily at first, but goes much slower as pressure builds. I could not reach the top end of the green zone on the AC Pro dial. After running the AC a bit, I was able to add more refrigerant a week later and fill all that I had. It was still at the lower end of the green zone. I am OK with that since the blower is cold enough. The whole process took 1 tall can and 1 small can.
      Last edited by blindkarma; 06-13-2017 at 11:58 AM.
      2008 Volvo S80 3.2, Sport and Climate packages, Barents Blue.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

One trick for filling on the low side is to keep the can in a bath of warm water. This helps keep the refrigerant at a temp where it boils into a vapor.
      2009 S80 V8 Executive Electric Silver/Sandstone Beige
      2007 XC90 V8 Savile Grey/Anthracite Black

Previous Vehicles 2004 XC90 2.5T, 2003 XC70

Quote Originally Posted by percavman View Post
      One trick for filling on the low side is to keep the can in a bath of warm water. This helps keep the refrigerant at a temp where it boils into a vapor.
      Thanks, I'll have to try that next time. It might be tricky since the instructions say to hold the can upside down while rotating side to side.
      2008 Volvo S80 3.2, Sport and Climate packages, Barents Blue.

Some one make this a sticky please. This is a really good write up. My 07 S80 leaks freon and every 1-2 years I have to take it to get it charged.

I have some questions. On the schrader valve are you saying that after you pushed in the pin and let it go the leak stopped?

Also, what is the "hose end side" you refer to in the third paragraph. Excuse my ignorance, just trying to learn.

Quote Originally Posted by blindkarma View Post
      I just used AC Pro succesfully. It is my speculation that filling only from the low pressure port makes it difficult to maximize pressurization. When the system is low, the refrigerant fills easily at first, but goes much slower as pressure builds. I could not reach the top end of the green zone on the AC Pro dial. After running the AC a bit, I was able to add more refrigerant a week later and fill all that I had. It was still at the lower end of the green zone. I am OK with that since the blower is cold enough. The whole process took 1 tall can and 1 small can.
      This is consistent with my experience filling my XC90 via the low pressure port. I also used an AC PRO and the initial reading was in the low range. After about half the can, it read midway in the full (green) range, but as I continued to empty the can, it did not raise the pressure reading. There was no cold air at all when I started so I did not feel there was a risk of overcharging.

Gr8 write up
      Janet Jackson is truly 'UNBREAKABLE'. My heartbeat. LOVE you for LIFE JANET!!!

I just did a full vacuum/recharge of my system because I had broken a line going to the condenser when replacing my radiator. I used almost about 12oz cans. I went with the arctic freeze brand. The first can went in no problem. The second one took a while. I placed the can in hot water and it did seem to help raise the can pressure. The third one was taking forever. I ended up slightly opening then quickly shutting the high side port, and that seemed to get the can to start working again. I filled the Freon by weight. AC works flawlessly now!
      Horsepower is how fast you hit a wall. Torque is how far you take that wall with you

12. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements