SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Which front wheel hub and bearings not made in China?

10K views 23 replies 11 participants last post by  avenger09123 
#1 ·
Have choice of Moog, Timken, F.A.G. If anybody has bought one recently, are any of them labeled as made in China? Any other other brands to consider?

#9 · (Edited)
OEM brand is SKF, as I recall. IMO, whatever brand has the longest warranty probably has the best product. The duration of the warranty (basically) indicates the confidence the company has in their products, and you can guarantee that their confidence is based on a statistical analysis of the product's lifespan, aka 95% of wheel bearings last 2 years, 50% last 3 years, 25% last 5 years, etc. It may be the only true indication of quality, outside of the mystique that 'branding' causes.

SKF has a 3 year warranty and so does MOOG, but MOOG is about 1/2 the cost. MOOG is an american company and has been around 100 years.
Not a MOOG guy, just sayin'.

#14 ·
IMHO, OEM Volvo wheel bearings are cr@p. Just changed my 4th wheel bearing of 4 and I'm starting to hear noise on the 1st of 4 that was changed about 8 years ago. Shouldn't wheel bearings last longer?! I've never owned a car where I had to change so many.

#17 ·
Added anytime. I would think they would be applicable to the rear on an AWD. Not sure how the axle is shaped back there since I don't have one. If you order Volvo bearings both shields will come in the box. Not shown in the Volvo parts breakdown for the rear though so who knows. Maybe you can tell us when you do them?

#23 ·
My MOOG Wheel bearing Hub assemblies for my 2004 Ford Mustang are made in Korea. Korea stamped on the assembly. I bought the MOOG after inspecting others. MOOG has sealed bearings. Others had open un-sealed bearings. Other brands may have sealed bearings but they could be made in China. I bought a pair at NAPA and upon inspecting one was sealed and made in Taiwan (stamped), and the other was un-sealed and it did not say where it was made. Those both had the same NAPA parts number. I returned them and then did my research and went with the MOOG bearings. Go to the MOOG site and reach out to them to see if yours would be made in Korea or Taiwan also.

I try to avoid "Cheap-China" whenever possible. Not only is quality lesser, but those jerks use low-paid, child, and slave labor, even when they outsource to Malaysia and other 3rd world depressed countries. Bastards!

#24 ·
Will say Timken is the go-to for quality in upgrading a Harley's terrible china bearings...
Currently have F.A.G. in the car though, doing great the last 50-60k.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.