Epic Six Thousand Mile Family Road Trip of US National Parks - pic and video heavy - Page 3
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
      This thread is probably able to sell more cars than any Volvo commercial! If you are not already on the Volvo payroll, you should at least get some Volvo sponsorship for this trip. My build is already locked in but If I had seen this before I would have found a way to afford air suspension. Great thread! Keep the pics coming
      2017 XC90 T6 momentum+ Magic Blue Amber/charcoal OSD

2005 S40 T5 White/grey

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by BKOD View Post
      This thread is probably able to sell more cars than any Volvo commercial! If you are not already on the Volvo payroll, you should at least get some Volvo sponsorship for this trip.
      Well said. I am about to buy "another" one, after went thru this post!!

Awesome trip!!

Quote Originally Posted by BKOD View Post
      This thread is probably able to sell more cars than any Volvo commercial! If you are not already on the Volvo payroll, you should at least get some Volvo sponsorship for this trip. My build is already locked in but If I had seen this before I would have found a way to afford air suspension. Great thread! Keep the pics coming
      Funny... if they want to pay me, I'm happy to take it in brake pads and tires. Haha.

Quote Originally Posted by alex.us View Post
      Well said. I am about to buy "another" one, after went thru this post!!

Awesome trip!!
      Big thanks!

So as we headed across TX back east, the highlight of the day from El Paso to San Antonio was an 80mph speed limit again and these impressive road cuts.

That, and this awesome automatic hotel pancake maker! I've not seen one this cool before.

(There's just not much out in west TX to get excited about)

Finally, we made it to the Alamo! We didn't take a tour this time around, but my 10 yr old was happy to tell us all about what she had learned in school this past year.

Last edited by GeoJoe; 07-28-2016 at 08:52 PM.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I'm still ecstatic about my Bursting Blue choice, but that red looks pretty amazing, too.

Someone has to say it: was Pee Wee's bicycle in the basement?
      2017 T5 Momentum+, Osmium Gray, Amber Leather, B&W, Vision.
      2005 Tacoma S5 4x4, Silver, 130K miles strong.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaxxon View Post
      I'm still ecstatic about my Bursting Blue choice, but that red looks pretty amazing, too.
      It's red hot! Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by badcyclist View Post
      Someone has to say it: was Pee Wee's bicycle in the basement?
      Large Marge sent me, but no I didn't find it there.

After a 650 mile day from Alamogordo, TX to San Antonio in 100+ degree heat the whole way, we drove another 550 mile day to New Orleans. Two back-to-back 9 hour days on the road could have really sucked. But with the seats, the automatic cruise control, great tunes and a cool family, the miles and hours just ticked away.

Welcome to Texas! Check out some hill country driving towards Austin.

Keep the posts coming, they are great!

Quote Originally Posted by norbtx View Post
      Welcome to Texas! Check out some hill country driving towards Austin.

Keep the posts coming, they are great!
      Next time though TX has to be via Austin. That 's a cool town. Reminds me of Athens, GA. Great music, food and fun college towns.

Anyway, we went on though New Orleans and I didn't get a single pic of the Volvo, but we did stop at Cafe du Monde for some beignets.

Last edited by GeoJoe; 07-30-2016 at 07:15 AM.

So we're full of fried dough and powdered sugar, riding with a strong cup of coffee and as we're headed through Mississippi, some dumb ass towing a boat in a construction zone thinks that it's better to drive in the emergency lane.. AND THROWS UP A BIG CHUNK OF GRAVEL right at us. We hear a big WHACK and I knew we'd been hit. I just wasn't sure where.... and then as quick as it happened, the glass began to crack.

What I didn't know was how bad it really was until we got to Orange Beach, AL and pulled in the Waffle House (that's right, we're in the south again!)

The good thing is that it didn't get the paint or body at all and this is as much as it's spread (for now.) The bad thing is that XC90 windshields are on national backorder with no ETA at this time.

Last edited by GeoJoe; 07-29-2016 at 09:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GeoJoe View Post
      The bad thing is that XC90 windshields are on national backorder with no ETA as this time.

Ouch! So close to home too!
      MY2017 XC90 T8 R Design * Bursting Blue * Carbon Fiber * Vision * Convenience * Booster

Quote Originally Posted by snow4me View Post

Ouch! So close to home too!
      I know! It really sucked that after 5600 miles this crap happened. It really brought a downer to an otherwise outstanding road trip experience.

Other than the windshield, I have to disclose that I did hit a few more things along the way.

• I ran over a squirrel in Yellowstone (really, really felt bad about that one)
      • I hit a bird in UT. (They seem to be suicidal in some parts of the US)
      • Someone's hubcab and the wire ring that holds it in place came flying out in front of me one evening in TX. I swerved to avoid the hubcap in time but nailed the ring.

Once I got back and washed her from top to bottom, I noticed that one of my horizontal grill slats is cracked.

I'm not sure if it was the bird or the hubcap ring that cracked the grill. It's unnoticeable but needs to be glued or repaired another way - or replaced. No other scratches or dents!

Anyway, now we wait on SafeLite. My dealer went ahead and ordered two windshields with a critical status.

Cool

Update to wrap up this thread. Safelite came out today! New OEM windshield is in and looks like new again.

Check out the technology behind the glass.

So all is great again, except for this camera speed trap in Sioux Falls. Had a bill for $100 waiting on me in the mail when I got home. No points, no insurance issues, they just want my cash. 75 in a 65 zone. I thought that town was kinda cool until now.

My red XC90 still looks hot, even in black and white.

Last edited by GeoJoe; 08-08-2016 at 03:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GeoJoe View Post
      Update to wrap up this thread. Safelite came out today! New OEM windshield is in and looks like new again.

Check out the technology behind the glass.

So all is great again, except for this camera speed trap in Sioux Falls. Had a bill for $100 waiting on me in the mail when I got home. No points, no insurance issues, they just want my cash. 75 in a 65 zone. I thought that town was kinda cool until now.

My red XC90 still looks hot, even in black and white.

lol black and white XC90

You don't want too many of those black and white pics, do you? :P
      MY17 - XC90 D5 R-Design - Bursting Blue Winter with HUD/Xenium/Family/Heated Rear Seats/Seven Seat Comfort. Polestar

glad you got it fixed!
      MY2017 XC90 T8 R Design * Bursting Blue * Carbon Fiber * Vision * Convenience * Booster

Inspirational road trip!! Thank you!

This entire thread is so inspirational!!

Taking my 2016 XC90 R design in Bursting Blue around the country next summer towing our new (to us) camper (picking up next week).

Trip planning is a BEAR of an effort!! All the places I want to go would require 60 days, but I only have 42 days. What to skip - this thread helped me figure out what NOT to skip

While getting my tow hitch installed yesterday I had a loaner (2016 XC90) that was not the R design. I was shocked at how much better the R design seats are than the regular seats!! I couldn't imagine thousands of miles in the regular seats. For anyone comparing, you must sit in the seats of both and go around a corner. Regular seats you slide around! R design seats - you are not moving one bit - heavenly.

Thank you GeoJoe for posting so much of your trip and sharing your experiences!!

Quote Originally Posted by Pableau View Post
      This entire thread is so inspirational!!

Taking my 2016 XC90 R design in Bursting Blue around the country next summer towing our new (to us) camper (picking up next week).

Trip planning is a BEAR of an effort!! All the places I want to go would require 60 days, but I only have 42 days. What to skip - this thread helped me figure out what NOT to skip

While getting my tow hitch installed yesterday I had a loaner (2016 XC90) that was not the R design. I was shocked at how much better the R design seats are than the regular seats!! I couldn't imagine thousands of miles in the regular seats. For anyone comparing, you must sit in the seats of both and go around a corner. Regular seats you slide around! R design seats - you are not moving one bit - heavenly.

Thank you GeoJoe for posting so much of your trip and sharing your experiences!!

WOW!

Thanks for the kind words and I'm glad to hear that you've found the thread helpful and informative. You're right about the seats, they are amazing.

And as far as what to see, and what to skip... there's just so much out there, that it's tough to go wrong. This is the great thing about road trips, and especially in the USA!

Many thanks for this awesome thread! Great color for the car! I'm jealous as it's only available in this R version. I would have bought the R but it doesn't come with heated steering wheel...

Quote Originally Posted by theclutch View Post
      Many thanks for this awesome thread! Great color for the car! I'm jealous as it's only available in this R version. I would have bought the R but it doesn't come with heated steering wheel...
      Glad you liked the thread! Funny thing about the R Design steering wheel... when I put it in off road mode, I could have sworn that the wheel was warming up. Maybe it was the grip I had on the wheel, but even my wife noticed that the wheel was warmer around the 10 and 2 positions when in off road mode.

Hey all... we've decided to sell this XC90 - here's the ad if anyone is interested.

http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthr...13#post5276513

If you don't mind my asking, what prompted the decision to sell?

If you don't mind my asking, what prompted the decision to sell?
      Looking for more towing power. If it's just me, towing a car is no big deal. If I have four people, an extra set of track wheels, jack, tools, etc... it seems a big much for a 4cyl engine.

Here's what I was going for...

Cool; thanks.

Wonderful story, probably the best real review I've ever read. Sorry to hear the Volvo is going. I'm okay with the 4 cylinder, considering the electric future is near.

need to get a Trackhawk for your track car. imho
      just some cars...but for this forum:
      2016 Onyx Black Metallic XC90 T6 Inscription w/Amber
      Convenience, Vision, B&W, 4C Air, Climate, Center Booster, Protection Package
      Added: P*, PAII, Mudguards, Roof Rack, Volvo Designer Edition Roof Box, Cargo liner

I consider the number of cylinder thing to be mostly an emotional one.
      Anyway, since I now have a 5-cylinder, I will have to hand in only one

Who knows; maybe GeoJoe is moving to a Tesla Model X with zero cylinders...

Who knows; maybe GeoJoe is moving to a Tesla Model X with zero cylinders...
      Or this

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/...r-elon-musk%2F
      2017 XC90 T8 Inscription (OSD) · Black & amber · B&W · Vision · Convenience · Air suspension · Heated rear · s/w update 05/17/17

That should be able to handle an extra set of track tires.

Thanks for sharing your trip! Nice photos and great looking car.

I would love to get a Model X, or even Tesla's larger future version... but range anxiety is real.

Prob getting a Q7.

FYI... sold!

see ya in the funny papers...

See Volvo, one more reason to reconsider and add another bigger capacity engine, even if at first it's the real Polestar engine in the S60. Maybe GeoJoe wouldn't be leaving us now :-(

I thought you'd go for a Range Rover or new Discovery or Merc G500 since those have reasonable horsepower and seem suitable for everyday use.

Best wishes to you Joe and thanks for the insightful posts you've contributed
      ------
      T8 Inscription - With almost all bells and whistles, bar leather on dash and upper fascia - Regretting not having them

Please come back to tell us how your make it out with your future ride.
      ---------------------------------------------
      2017 XC90 T5 Momentum Plus, Vision, Convenience, Climate, 7 Amber Seats, 20's, Invi-hitch

36. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3