It's time to make some changes to my '99 V70 T5M - Page 2
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
    Results 36 to 70 of 375
    1. #36
      Senior Member JRL's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 2003
      Location
      Devon PA
      Posts
      58,279
      Oh, I'm sure it will be nice but nice and good craftsmanhip is not s substitute phrase for:

      "I'm not going to touch this one," It runs so nice and smooth that I plan to drive it to the occasional Saturday shopping, dinners on Saturdays, and church on Sundays.
      Last edited by JRL; 08-08-2016 at 02:15 AM.
      Email: jrl1194(at)aol.com
      If the subject is car purchase related please use jrl1194(at)gmail.com
      2007 V70 2.5T White/Oak 108K miles, new daily driver
      2000 V70R wife's. Won't sell, now near 141,000 miles and still near perfect!
      2000 S70 GLT SE 30,005 MILES, A time capsule! JUST SOLD.

    2. Remove Advertisements

      Advertisements
       

    3. #37
      Member
      Join Date
      Aug 2008
      Location
      Scottsdale, AZ
      Posts
      1,903
      Quote Originally Posted by JRL View Post
      Oh, I'm sure it will be nice but nice and good craftsmanhip is not s substitute phrase for:
      "I'm not going to touch this one, It runs so nice and snoothly that I plan to drive it to dinners on Saturdays and church on Sundays".
      Well at least it's returned to weekend duty now that I have my S60 Rdesign as my DD. And it's not like it was void from OEM modifications when I got it from you. Times change as do needs and now I need to play with my toys. Time for you to let go of how you had the car set up. It's been close to 5 years now.
      '98 V70 T5 (Auto) Currently 427,000 miles on car, now my daughter's.
      '99 V70 T5 M Purchased from JRL: 207,000 miles. future mods coming
      2013 S60 T6 Rdesign Mine
      2016 XC60 T6 Rdesign Wife's

    4. #38
      Bob, am I reading this correctly that your rude originally came with cloth interior? Never seen a T5 with that...


      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      -Paul
      '98 V70 T5M, M56H, Signal Red(601)/Light Beige(3960); IPD susp, ARD Green tune
      SOLD '98 S70 T5M

    5. Remove Advertisements

      Advertisements
       

    6. #39
      Member
      Join Date
      Aug 2008
      Location
      Scottsdale, AZ
      Posts
      1,903
      Quote Originally Posted by 98v70t5man View Post
      Bob, am I reading this correctly that your rude originally came with cloth interior? Never seen a T5 with that...


      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Yes, they had cloth inserts in the middle of the seat. I think Jim had swapped in some SE seats if I'm not mistaken. I'm much happier with all custom leather.
      '98 V70 T5 (Auto) Currently 427,000 miles on car, now my daughter's.
      '99 V70 T5 M Purchased from JRL: 207,000 miles. future mods coming
      2013 S60 T6 Rdesign Mine
      2016 XC60 T6 Rdesign Wife's

    7. #40
      Member Penguin's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2006
      Location
      Reno, NV
      Posts
      1,309
      Quote Originally Posted by 98v70t5man View Post
      Bob, am I reading this correctly that your rude originally came with cloth interior? Never seen a T5 with that...

      Here's a photo of the back seat. They are the original seats.

      Last edited by Penguin; 08-09-2016 at 06:47 PM.
      2015.5 V60 Polestar BSM #46 (SOLD)
      2014 XC60 R-Design Passion Red/Off Black, OSD, Savini BM7, lowered, swaybar, Koni FSD
      2006 V70R 6M
      ElecSilver/Nordkap, 18" Pegs, Bell FMIC
      2004 S60R 6M TiGrey/Nordkap, 18" Ti Pegs, Bell FMIC, IPD Stage II, Eibachs, Quaife LSD

    8. #41
      Senior Member JRL's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 2003
      Location
      Devon PA
      Posts
      58,279
      No leather, no moonroof, but with dual, power heated seats.
      They are very comfy
      A "base" T5 but the cosmetics were SO nice when I bought it (and I don't care about a moonroof) I had to make it my own driver!
      Email: jrl1194(at)aol.com
      If the subject is car purchase related please use jrl1194(at)gmail.com
      2007 V70 2.5T White/Oak 108K miles, new daily driver
      2000 V70R wife's. Won't sell, now near 141,000 miles and still near perfect!
      2000 S70 GLT SE 30,005 MILES, A time capsule! JUST SOLD.

    9. #42
      Member
      Join Date
      Aug 2008
      Location
      Scottsdale, AZ
      Posts
      1,903
      Quote Originally Posted by JRL View Post
      No leather, no moonroof, but with dual, power heated seats.
      They are very comfy
      A "base" T5 but the cosmetics were SO nice when I bought it (and I don't care about a moonroof) I had to make it my own driver!
      Seats are still heated, very comfy, wish it had a moonroof but that's minor, and now I need to make it my own driver!
      '98 V70 T5 (Auto) Currently 427,000 miles on car, now my daughter's.
      '99 V70 T5 M Purchased from JRL: 207,000 miles. future mods coming
      2013 S60 T6 Rdesign Mine
      2016 XC60 T6 Rdesign Wife's

    10. #43
      Member andyb5's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 2009
      Location
      Troy, NY
      Posts
      2,360
      Quote Originally Posted by 300+_T5R_855 View Post
      Slowly ramping back up.
      Glad to hear it!!
      1999 V70 R -- Silver/Charcoal. M66, SteveO tune, 996TT Brembos, CX Racing coilovers, and more. Always a work in progress...
      2000 V70 R: The new project

    11. #44
      Member
      Join Date
      Aug 2008
      Location
      Scottsdale, AZ
      Posts
      1,903
      Quote Originally Posted by 300+_T5R_855 View Post
      Slowly ramping back up.

      Turbo looks good!
      Thanks CJ, I'm continuing to collect everything I anticipate needing. The closest parts store is a 40 minute drive, so I'm ordering up all new hardware for everything I'm planning to touch. The car goes to the body shop on Sept. 5 for the bumper replacement, so anything major will wait until that is completed. First thing will be to recharge the AC for the drive to the shop. Fresh R134 arrived yesterday and I've located my AC manifold and vacuum pump.
      '98 V70 T5 (Auto) Currently 427,000 miles on car, now my daughter's.
      '99 V70 T5 M Purchased from JRL: 207,000 miles. future mods coming
      2013 S60 T6 Rdesign Mine
      2016 XC60 T6 Rdesign Wife's

    12. #45
      Member b2fkb0's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 2010
      Location
      Kalamazoo, MI
      Posts
      1,261
      Go Bob go! Enjoy your car and build it your way. The Midwest VCOA show added a performance category for "performance" cars this year to acknowledge the enhancements being made by enthusiasts to these p80 cars. Can't wait to see more!
      00 V70R Emerald, 98 v70R saffron, 98 v70r black, 04 v70xc nautic, , 06 xc90 v8 gunmetal, 83 242 Group A med blue metallic, 82 242 DL, 2006 s40 t5a, s40t5m awd RED, s40t5m awd Black, 04 s60r silver.
      Sold-98V70Rm silver, 93 245 silver, 98v70xc sandstone, 96 855r black totaled/parted, 96 855r white, 98 xc70 olive, 99 s70r, 05 s40 t5m (x2) silver, 94 854 na turquoise:

    13. #46
      Member
      Join Date
      Aug 2008
      Location
      Scottsdale, AZ
      Posts
      1,903
      Located a used R bumper in excellent shap, as new are not to be had. The body shop can take care of any blemish when they paint it..
      '98 V70 T5 (Auto) Currently 427,000 miles on car, now my daughter's.
      '99 V70 T5 M Purchased from JRL: 207,000 miles. future mods coming
      2013 S60 T6 Rdesign Mine
      2016 XC60 T6 Rdesign Wife's

    14. #47
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Feb 2015
      Location
      Seattle
      Posts
      44
      You made a comment on my post that I have one very red wagon; that's true, and you have a very white one as well that looks great. I like the idea of the painted mudflaps. I wonder if I should order one more can of red....

    15. #48
      Member SonicBlueR's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 2010
      Location
      Newtown, CT
      Posts
      4,016
      I bought a new primed R bumper from Tasca last summer for under $300 I think


      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      06 Sonic/Nordkap MT SR with 18" Anthracite Pegs |63K Miles

      00 Laser/Charcoal 2 Tone AT VR 16" Anthracite Satellites/ 17" Pegs |201K Miles

      99 S70 N/A

    16. #49
      Member ScottishBrick's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 2014
      Location
      Connecticut
      Posts
      6,450
      Quote Originally Posted by SonicBlueR View Post
      I bought a new primed R bumper from Tasca last summer for under $300 I think


      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      http://www.tascaparts.com/volvo/v70/...e=bumper-cover

      Primered. Red, laser blue and black R bumpers are still avaliable
      1999 V70 T5 - Emerald/Graphite M56H - 119k - The Garage Queen
      1999 V70 T5 - Pewter/Graphite AW42 - 241k - The Daily
      1995 945 Turbo - 425k, 1994 945 Turbo - 234k, 1993 945 Turbo - 318k

    17. #50
      Member SonicBlueR's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 2010
      Location
      Newtown, CT
      Posts
      4,016
      The laser isn't. They couldn't get it back when I got mine


      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      06 Sonic/Nordkap MT SR with 18" Anthracite Pegs |63K Miles

      00 Laser/Charcoal 2 Tone AT VR 16" Anthracite Satellites/ 17" Pegs |201K Miles

      99 S70 N/A

    18. #51
      Quote Originally Posted by ScottishBrick View Post
      http://www.tascaparts.com/volvo/v70/...e=bumper-cover

      Primered. Red, laser blue and black R bumpers are still avaliable
      I'm new to Tasca, and I can't figure out how to find an R bumper for my 98 V70...all the bumpers look the same.

    19. #52
      Member JaredR's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 2014
      Location
      Boston, MA
      Posts
      6,030
      Quote Originally Posted by hrh98 View Post
      I'm new to Tasca, and I can't figure out how to find an R bumper for my 98 V70...all the bumpers look the same.
      The bumpers that say V70 R are the ones you need. The illustration is kind of crappy.

    20. #53
      Member
      Join Date
      Aug 2008
      Location
      Scottsdale, AZ
      Posts
      1,903
      Quote Originally Posted by ScottishBrick View Post
      http://www.tascaparts.com/volvo/v70/...e=bumper-cover

      Primered. Red, laser blue and black R bumpers are still avaliable
      Thank you, Thank you, was able to cancel the used bumper, and a new skin has been ordered from Tasca!
      '98 V70 T5 (Auto) Currently 427,000 miles on car, now my daughter's.
      '99 V70 T5 M Purchased from JRL: 207,000 miles. future mods coming
      2013 S60 T6 Rdesign Mine
      2016 XC60 T6 Rdesign Wife's

    21. #54
      Member SonicBlueR's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 2010
      Location
      Newtown, CT
      Posts
      4,016
      You're welcome
      06 Sonic/Nordkap MT SR with 18" Anthracite Pegs |63K Miles

      00 Laser/Charcoal 2 Tone AT VR 16" Anthracite Satellites/ 17" Pegs |201K Miles

      99 S70 N/A

    22. #55
      Quote Originally Posted by ScottishBrick View Post
      ...maybe a custom R wheel wrap in 3960 tan.
      ScottishBrick - what is this? Picture? You referring to a slip-on cover available in factory color? I've got the 3960 too. My orig steering wheel cover is faded.
      -Paul
      '98 V70 T5M, M56H, Signal Red(601)/Light Beige(3960); IPD susp, ARD Green tune
      SOLD '98 S70 T5M

    23. #56
      Member LloydDobler's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 2007
      Location
      Littleton, CO
      Posts
      6,736
      Just wanted to update, my Hilton tune is done now and my car runs better than ever before. Hilton did something no other tuner did with me. He gave active feedback telling me my wastegate was not set right, and I adjusted it until it made good data logs rather than dialing it up to a set psi. Turns out at my altitude I need around an 8 psig base setting. He also identified that my MAF was going bad. Then he pointed out that my ARD aluminum intercooler wasn't doing its job. Turns out it's just an ebay POS. After all that, I told him I didn't like the throttle response, it felt like an on-off switch at light throttle, and the next tune file had it all smoothed out. Now I can idle in traffic in 1st gear without lurching the car, and I can launch perfectly smooth.

      Never mind that the thing holds boost from 3000 all the way to 5500 RPM. Something none of my other tunes have done. Dude is the best.

      Once your car has this much torque though, you will absolutely need a quaife LSD. Just do it.
      Last edited by LloydDobler; 08-25-2016 at 12:29 AM.
      2003 C70 T5M Convertible - Eibachs, Koni FSDs, Enkei RSF5s, OBX downpipe, Snabb intake, RIP kit, & drop-in intercooler, Quaife LSD, 19T, Green Giants, 22 psi Hilton tune.
      2006 V70R M66 - Sonic Blue/Nordkap, 2.4 T5 motor, Pure Turbos Hybrid, Snabb intake & intercooler, IPD oval exhaust, JZW tune.
      1966 122s - Collectible project, restoration and many mods on the way.

    24. #57
      Member ScottishBrick's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 2014
      Location
      Connecticut
      Posts
      6,450
      Quote Originally Posted by 98v70t5man View Post
      ScottishBrick - what is this? Picture? You referring to a slip-on cover available in factory color? I've got the 3960 too. My orig steering wheel cover is faded.
      A redline goods recover of the wheel not a slip on cover.


      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      1999 V70 T5 - Emerald/Graphite M56H - 119k - The Garage Queen
      1999 V70 T5 - Pewter/Graphite AW42 - 241k - The Daily
      1995 945 Turbo - 425k, 1994 945 Turbo - 234k, 1993 945 Turbo - 318k

    25. #58
      Member
      Join Date
      Aug 2008
      Location
      Scottsdale, AZ
      Posts
      1,903
      Quote Originally Posted by LloydDobler View Post
      Just wanted to update, my Hilton tune is done now and my car runs better than ever before. Hilton did something no other tuner did with me. He gave active feedback telling me my wastegate was not set right, and I adjusted it until it made good data logs rather than dialing it up to a set psi. Turns out at my altitude I need around an 8 psig base setting. He also identified that my MAF was going bad. Then he pointed out that my ARD aluminum intercooler wasn't doing its job. Turns out it's just an ebay POS. After all that, I told him I didn't like the throttle response, it felt like an on-off switch at light throttle, and the next tune file had it all smoothed out. Now I can idle in traffic in 1st gear without lurching the car, and I can launch perfectly smooth.

      Never mind that the thing holds boost from 3000 all the way to 5500 RPM. Something none of my other tunes have done. Dude is the best.

      Once your car has this much torque though, you will absolutely need a quaife LSD. Just do it.
      Great feedback, thank you. I'll have to see what's left in my wallet before attacking the LSD, because it will most likely also entail SM flywheel, appropriate clutch and PP.
      '98 V70 T5 (Auto) Currently 427,000 miles on car, now my daughter's.
      '99 V70 T5 M Purchased from JRL: 207,000 miles. future mods coming
      2013 S60 T6 Rdesign Mine
      2016 XC60 T6 Rdesign Wife's

    26. #59
      Member JaredR's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 2014
      Location
      Boston, MA
      Posts
      6,030
      Quote Originally Posted by Rsterns View Post
      Great feedback, thank you. I'll have to see what's left in my wallet before attacking the LSD, because it will most likely also entail SM flywheel, appropriate clutch and PP.
      Can't you just use a 850R clutch and SM flywheel in this car? That shouldn't be so terribly expensive that this happens.



    27. #60
      Member andyb5's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 2009
      Location
      Troy, NY
      Posts
      2,360
      Quote Originally Posted by JaredR View Post
      Can't you just use a 850R clutch and SM flywheel in this car?
      Sure he can use the SMF/850 R combo but that's another $300+ on top of the $1000+ for a LSD and another couple hundred in bearings, seals, fluids, etc. It's not a cheap upgrade!

      And that's on top of the cost of the rest of the upgrades Bob is doing, which aren't cheap either.
      1999 V70 R -- Silver/Charcoal. M66, SteveO tune, 996TT Brembos, CX Racing coilovers, and more. Always a work in progress...
      2000 V70 R: The new project

    28. #61
      Member
      Join Date
      Aug 2008
      Location
      Scottsdale, AZ
      Posts
      1,903
      Well, she went to the body shop today to get the tow dolly damage repair taken care of. Also, a few more goodies arrived today.

      '98 V70 T5 (Auto) Currently 427,000 miles on car, now my daughter's.
      '99 V70 T5 M Purchased from JRL: 207,000 miles. future mods coming
      2013 S60 T6 Rdesign Mine
      2016 XC60 T6 Rdesign Wife's

    29. #62
      Member LloydDobler's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 2007
      Location
      Littleton, CO
      Posts
      6,736
      I'll be interested to know what you think of the FSDs. I have them on both my cars and I love them. My favorite thing that's easily noticed is how much they kill the brake dive. Like you get to a stop and the nose of the car does not rebound at all, it stayed flat the whole time. Basically doing what they say, damping firm on slow inputs but soft on quick inputs.
      2003 C70 T5M Convertible - Eibachs, Koni FSDs, Enkei RSF5s, OBX downpipe, Snabb intake, RIP kit, & drop-in intercooler, Quaife LSD, 19T, Green Giants, 22 psi Hilton tune.
      2006 V70R M66 - Sonic Blue/Nordkap, 2.4 T5 motor, Pure Turbos Hybrid, Snabb intake & intercooler, IPD oval exhaust, JZW tune.
      1966 122s - Collectible project, restoration and many mods on the way.

    30. #63
      Member JaredR's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 2014
      Location
      Boston, MA
      Posts
      6,030
      Quote Originally Posted by LloydDobler View Post
      I'll be interested to know what you think of the FSDs. I have them on both my cars and I love them. My favorite thing that's easily noticed is how much they kill the brake dive. Like you get to a stop and the nose of the car does not rebound at all, it stayed flat the whole time. Basically doing what they say, damping firm on slow inputs but soft on quick inputs.
      I wish there was a load leveling FSD...........

    31. #64
      Member
      Join Date
      Aug 2008
      Location
      Scottsdale, AZ
      Posts
      1,903
      Quote Originally Posted by LloydDobler View Post
      I'll be interested to know what you think of the FSDs. I have them on both my cars and I love them. My favorite thing that's easily noticed is how much they kill the brake dive. Like you get to a stop and the nose of the car does not rebound at all, it stayed flat the whole time. Basically doing what they say, damping firm on slow inputs but soft on quick inputs.
      I've been a fan of FSD's for some time now. I put a set on my '98 after 200K miles of Bilstein HD's and was instantly a fan. The '99 currently has Koni Yellows with H&R springs. The yellows are OK but don't have what it takes to dampen the frequency of a washboard dirt road.
      '98 V70 T5 (Auto) Currently 427,000 miles on car, now my daughter's.
      '99 V70 T5 M Purchased from JRL: 207,000 miles. future mods coming
      2013 S60 T6 Rdesign Mine
      2016 XC60 T6 Rdesign Wife's

    32. #65
      Member washdup's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 2007
      Location
      Ventura County, CA
      Posts
      2,099
      Washboard may be too much even for FSDs, but hopefully an improvement over the yellows.
      1998 V70 T5m @172k miles; 18t, turboback, Quaife LSD, Koni FSD/Eibach, IPD sways, SNAAB intake, ARD Blue, green injectors, etc., 50% E85
      1995 850 Turbo Sold at @168k miles.
      2004 V70R 6mt SOLD for the '98 plus mod money.

    33. #66
      Member JaredR's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 2014
      Location
      Boston, MA
      Posts
      6,030
      Quote Originally Posted by Rsterns View Post
      I've been a fan of FSD's for some time now. I put a set on my '98 after 200K miles of Bilstein HD's and was instantly a fan. The '99 currently has Koni Yellows with H&R springs. The yellows are OK but don't have what it takes to dampen the frequency of a washboard dirt road.
      I don't know how anyone (or any car, for that matter) could survive 200k of Bilstein HDs. My T-5R was really not happy about ~50k of them. I'd love to try some FSDs at some point, but, right now, I'm really liking the way the 100% stock setup handles Boston roads and am looking forward to getting to use the load leveling next week.

    34. #67
      Junior Member whitev70r's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 2003
      Location
      Vancouver, BC
      Posts
      559
      Stunning, beautiful, and elegant! Subscribed.

      May I have first dibs when you want to move to P2 or P3?
      98 V70 AWD - lowered on TME springs, Koni, IPD ECU, Volvo Dual Exhaust ... RIP
      05 V70 AWD - Got tired of the high rear end sticking up. SOLD
      98 V70R AWD - Bilstein touring fronts, Eurosport Tuning Dual Exhaust, lowered. SOLD
      05 V70 2.5T Sport Edition - current baby.
      09 Suzuki Gladius 650cc

    35. #68
      Member
      Join Date
      Aug 2008
      Location
      Scottsdale, AZ
      Posts
      1,903
      Quote Originally Posted by whitev70r View Post
      Stunning, beautiful, and elegant! Subscribed.

      May I have first dibs when you want to move to P2 or P3?
      Thank you for the morning smile, I'll consider it, but I recommend that you don't hold your breath.
      '98 V70 T5 (Auto) Currently 427,000 miles on car, now my daughter's.
      '99 V70 T5 M Purchased from JRL: 207,000 miles. future mods coming
      2013 S60 T6 Rdesign Mine
      2016 XC60 T6 Rdesign Wife's

    36. #69
      Junior Member whitev70r's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 2003
      Location
      Vancouver, BC
      Posts
      559
      Quote Originally Posted by Rsterns View Post
      Thank you for the morning smile, I'll consider it, but I recommend that you don't hold your breath.
      I'm good for now, just picked up an 05 V70 2.5T. I used to drive a 98 white V70AWD and longed for the V70 T5 in white! Did everything I could afford to get it up to T5/R specs.

      But yours ... great car in that generation! Props man. I'd buy it (if I could afford it) as a collector.
      98 V70 AWD - lowered on TME springs, Koni, IPD ECU, Volvo Dual Exhaust ... RIP
      05 V70 AWD - Got tired of the high rear end sticking up. SOLD
      98 V70R AWD - Bilstein touring fronts, Eurosport Tuning Dual Exhaust, lowered. SOLD
      05 V70 2.5T Sport Edition - current baby.
      09 Suzuki Gladius 650cc

    37. #70
      Member
      Join Date
      Aug 2008
      Location
      Scottsdale, AZ
      Posts
      1,903
      Right now the car is at the body shop getting it's new front bumper. In the meantime, I took a closer look at the 19T I'm going to use and wasn't real happy with the amount of shaft radial movement I was getting, so it's now apart and cleaned, just waiting for my new ARD billet compressor wheel and matching turbine wheel which should be here in a day or two. Car should be back on Wednesday and I can start taking next steps.

      '98 V70 T5 (Auto) Currently 427,000 miles on car, now my daughter's.
      '99 V70 T5 M Purchased from JRL: 207,000 miles. future mods coming
      2013 S60 T6 Rdesign Mine
      2016 XC60 T6 Rdesign Wife's

    38. Remove Advertisements

      Advertisements
       

    Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast