Heico XC60 Project has begun - Page 2
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
      Quote Originally Posted by Ocean Racer View Post
      The Heico product is fully supported by Heico, tunable and does not affect Volvo's warranty. TDI box voids warranty if detected.
      Admittedly, it is very expensive but the figures are genuine and not inflated like other products on the market.(TDI box)
      I'm impressed none the less! I'm beginning to explore options for a tune for my XC60 as well, but I'm not sure if it's within reach since I'm out here in Korea. I wish there were other tunes we could obtain by flashing from the OBDII port ala the VW community, but it's a small market, that's for sure.
      Current: 2015 XC60 T6 AWD | 2017 Pacifica Limited
      Past: 2008 Saab 9-3 Vector Convertible: Sold 2014 | 2003 Audi A4 1.8TQM: Sold 2010 | 2006 Triumph Daytona 675: Sold 2008

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Good god I miss your XC70R

2006 XC70 70k - Ruby Red/Graphite - "Wichita" | 2011 Mazda3 S GT 28k - Black/Black - "Corey"
      2007 XC70 57k - Black/Graphite - "Springfield" | 2011 Tacoma 12k - Green/Sand - "Timber"
      2013 XC70 35k - Black Stone/Off-Black - "Rolf"

not inflated like other products on the market.(TDI box)
      Didn't notice much difference with the TDI box? I couldn't find many reviews other then diesel stuff
      02 V70 2.4T - EST exhaust/Elbrus 18x8s/Conti DW/Eibach/Koni FSD/Polk Audio/Boston Acoustics/Infinity ---- for sale
      13 XC60 T6R-Design-Ice White-IPD exhaust-Soon:do88 intercooler
      15 Chrysler 200c ---- Mopar Tech

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by BellevilleV70 View Post
      Didn't notice much difference with the TDI box? I couldn't find many reviews other then diesel stuff
      I think people are noticing a decent difference with the TDI box but Ocean is implying the numbers may be a tad optimistic. I have no idea one way or the other, and am mainly concerned with whether it would at least be enough to get my P* enhanced T6 into the high 12s while also remaining safe enough not to blow up my motor. Ideally it would even pass the diagnostic portion of the Massachusetts annual inspection without having to undo everything.
      2011 S60 T6 with Polestar tune
      13.1 at 101 mph

Current mods: KW V3 coilovers, DO88 fmic, Ferrita downpipe, Powerflex "race" torque mount inserts, more to come...

When you think about it, Polestar optimisation in the T6 with K16 is at 14.5psi and only getting 242kw / 330hp

Both Heico and TDI box say boost on their tune is set to 18psi.

Without any hardware changes, I fail to see how TDI box can get an additional 40kw / 54hp. Impossible.
      02 XC70 R PROJECT TERRÄNGKÖRNING LANDVAGN
      04 V70R PROJECT LANDBARGE
      11 XC60 R-DESIGN PROJECT HEICO

When you think about it, Polestar optimisation in the T6 with K16 is at 14.5psi and only getting 242kw / 330hp

Both Heico and TDI box say boost on their tune is set to 18psi.

Without any hardware changes, I fail to see how TDI box can get an additional 40kw / 54hp. Impossible.
      I'm not saying you're wrong, but to play the devil's advocate, at least consider the fact that adding boost isn't the only thing that makes more power. Controlling the tapering-off of boost (holding it longer), running more aggressive timing, pushing more or less fuel, narrowing a safety margin to within a short-n-curly's width of detonation, etc...these are some typical ways tuners get more power with a given hardware setup, assuming the turbo and fuel system has a high enough ceiling and the induction and exhaust are adequately free-flowing to make more power than the stock tune allows for. A lot of times turbocharged cars aren't anywhere near their full potential on the factory tunes, and big gains can be had with just a reflash because their stock tunes were super conservative for a variety of reasons (reliability, leaving power on the table for use in heavier or higher-priced applications with the same motor, meeting fuel economy or emissions targets, preserving the transmission, etc.). I'm not sure if this is or isn't one of those situations, but it's worth keeping in mind that the hardware may not be the limiting factor if the software is keeping numbers artificially low. Besides, a 4 psi bump is pretty substantial even without factoring-in timing and fueling changes. Dunno if the car can actually produce those numbers with stock turbo, exhaust, intakes, etc., but hopefully it's not too far off.
      13.1 at 101 mph

Current mods: KW V3 coilovers, DO88 fmic, Ferrita downpipe, Powerflex "race" torque mount inserts, more to come...

Bunn,
      You're right on most of what you have written but I'm not new to tuning nor how power is made from boost.
      Have a look at what gains other cars are 'apparently' making with this TDI box and you'll see a consistent pattern across all of them. Engines and engine management systems vary greatly, not to mention displacement and turbo size yet all show identical results in gains. What does that tell you.
      Last edited by Ocean Racer; 03-14-2017 at 04:46 AM.

Bunn,
      You're right on most of what you have written but I'm not new to tuning nor how power is made from boost.
      Have a look at what gains other cars are 'apparently' making with this TDI box and you'll see a consistent pattern across all of them. Engines and engine management systems vary greatly, not to mention displacement and turbo size yet all show identical results in gains. What does that tell you.
      Fair enough, and I certainly didn't mean to infer that you were a tuning nOOb. I probably know a lot less about this platform than you do.
      13.1 at 101 mph

Things have started to heat up a little.

New Ferrita 3.5" performance downpipe has arrived.
      Polestar bi-modal exhaust next.

18049526_10158556600320298_399812537_o.jpg
      Last edited by Ocean Racer; 04-30-2017 at 04:05 AM.

Awesome! Can't wait to see more updates.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
      2016 XC60 T6 AWD Platinum/Inscription - Full bolt ons (Snabb air intake & turbo pipe, Do88 Intercooler, Viva Hybrid Turbo, Ferrita downpipe, IPD exhaust catback, H&R Springs), Stage 3 Hilton Tune: Dual JL Audio 10" stealth subs & 750Watt amp

Looks good. Wonder if you will see any gains from it. Does it have a hi-flow cat on it?
      2015 XC60 R-Design
      2005 G35 -modified

Things have started to heat up a little.

New Ferrita 3.5" performance downpipe has arrived.
      Polestar bi-modal exhaust next.

Just remember the spacer goes "post cat"...
      2014 XC60 Platinum Package, W/Polestar Optimization, Polestar suspension + Feritta down pipe & Kpax GT6 Exhaust, IPD Sway bar and HD end links, Snabb Intake & K & N drop in and a bunch of other aesthetic if not expensive little goodies.
      2015 BMW 428i Xdrive Cabriolet W/Executive, Driver Assistance, Premium Packages and Dinan power tune.

Do you need an O2 spacer in order to not throw a CEL with the ferrita downpipe?
      I'll need a new cat momentarily
      Quote Originally Posted by Stewie5148 View Post
      Just remember the spacer goes "post cat"...

Yes you do. It goes on the rear o2 sensor - the good news is that is the easier one to get to.

2016 XC60 T6 AWD Platinum/Inscription - Full bolt ons (Snabb air intake & turbo pipe, Do88 Intercooler, Viva Hybrid Turbo, Ferrita downpipe, IPD exhaust catback, H&R Springs), Stage 3 Hilton Tune: Dual JL Audio 10" stealth subs & 750Watt amp

The spacer (located in the top end in photo) will be relocated to the correct bung during installation

Any updates and/or pics?

Quote Originally Posted by tunedxc60 View Post
      Any updates and/or pics?
      Downpipe goes in on Thursday.

A recent pic..

Last edited by Ocean Racer; 05-15-2017 at 09:28 PM.

So much dismantle for a downpipe!

any comparison pictures of stock to new pipe?
      2015 XC60 R-Design
      2005 G35 -modified

Allow me to jump in. This is a side by side comparison of my stock 3.0T S60 T6 downpipe with the Ferrita one. The big design improvement seems to be the removal of the close-coupled cat near the flange that connects the dp to the turbo. Not only should that make the dp less restrictive, but it should also help slow moving exhaust flow (at low rpm or steady cruise) accelerate faster at throttle tip-in when you decide to accelerate, which would spool the turbo more quickly. So whether or not it makes peak power, it makes the turbo spool faster for less lag and crisper throttle response. Removing the close coupled cat should also reduce EGTs allowing your car to keep running strong without the ecu having to dial back timing to stave off detonation as tends to happen when EGTs climb. Close coupled cats are good for cold start emissions, but bad for repeatable power due to their tendency to heat up quickly.
      Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Bunnspeed View Post
      Allow me to jump in. This is a side by side comparison of my stock 3.0T S60 T6 downpipe with the Ferrita one. The big design improvement seems to be the removal of the close-coupled cat near the flange that connects the dp to the turbo. Not only should that make the dp less restrictive, but it should also help slow moving exhaust flow (at low rpm or steady cruise) accelerate faster at throttle tip-in when you decide to accelerate, which would spool the turbo more quickly. So whether or not it makes peak power, it makes the turbo spool faster for less lag and crisper throttle response. Removing the close coupled cat should also reduce EGTs allowing your car to keep running strong without the ecu having to dial back timing to stave off detonation as tends to happen when EGTs climb. Close coupled cats are good for cold start emissions, but bad for repeatable power due to their tendency to heat up quickly.
      Well said.
      Plus the new downpipe is much lighter - almost half the weight as the ugly factory downpipe.

What's your take on the sound and performance? You are running the KPAX exhaust, right? I'm eager to hear your feedback and perhaps an exhaust video.

What's your take on the sound and performance? You are running the KPAX exhaust, right? I'm eager to hear your feedback and perhaps an exhaust video.
      About 25% more turbo spool / intake noise.
      Turbo spools quicker and XC is definitely faster.
      I did time an impressive low 5 second 0-60 with my OBD gauge tool, fully laden on my way back from work.
      Still running factory exhaust. I'm getting the Polestar bi-modal exhaust soon.

Very impressive! With all of my mods I am around 5.5 - can't seem to crack that barrier.

Very impressive! With all of my mods I am around 5.5 - can't seem to crack that barrier.

I STILL think, the exhaust and downpipe size is too small( on available over the counter stuff) on these. Look at that downpipe, whats that after the cat, 2.5 in ? Why would they not make it the same size as right off the turbo??The whole system should be at least 3in. I have no plan to mod mine much, but if I was going to tune it/better intercooler ,etc, and shoot for 400hp, the FIRST thing would be a custom 3in at the very minimum. I was VERY disappointed to see the IPD system I paid large cash for was the same size as stock. If I'd paid more attention, and noticed that, I wouldn't have bought it. I Would have just put a good muffler on it.Has anyone ever put a pressure gauge just after the turbo to see what the back pressure is?? I would be VERY curious to see what it is. I know everything is a compromise somewhat, but I can't believe the small size on these parts and systems.
      02 V70 2.4T - EST exhaust/Elbrus 18x8s/Conti DW/Eibach/Koni FSD/Polk Audio/Boston Acoustics/Infinity ---- for sale

I STILL think, the exhaust and downpipe size is too small( on available over the counter stuff) on these. Look at that downpipe, whats that after the cat, 2.5 in ? Why would they not make it the same size as right off the turbo??The whole system should be at least 3in. I have no plan to mod mine much, but if I was going to tune it/better intercooler ,etc, and shoot for 400hp, the FIRST thing would be a custom 3in at the very minimum. I was VERY disappointed to see the IPD system I paid large cash for was the same size as stock. If I'd paid more attention, and noticed that, I wouldn't have bought it. I Would have just put a good muffler on it.Has anyone ever put a pressure gauge just after the turbo to see what the back pressure is?? I would be VERY curious to see what it is. I know everything is a compromise somewhat, but I can't believe the small size on these parts and systems.
      I'm also not crazy about that y-pipe section at the end of the downpipe, which is a split that bolts up to the reversed y-pipe section of the catback, which then comes back together for a single pipe, then splits yet again for the 1-pipe-in, 2-pipes-out muffler. So basically the turboback goes: 1 pipe into 2 pipes into 2 pipes into 1 pipe then back to two pipes. That might help manage sound but it cannot be efficient from a power standpoint.
      13.1 at 101 mph

Quote Originally Posted by Bunnspeed View Post
      I'm also not crazy about that y-pipe section at the end of the downpipe, which is a split that bolts up to the reversed y-pipe section of the catback, which then comes back together for a single pipe, then splits yet again for the 1-pipe-in, 2-pipes-out muffler. So basically the turboback goes: 1 pipe into 2 pipes into 2 pipes into 1 pipe then back to two pipes. That might help manage sound but it cannot be efficient from a power standpoint.
      Yep agree 100%.....its a very sharp transition on that downpipe

I really hope someone taps into the pipe before the cat. and takes a reading, would love to see what the pressure is. Very easy to drill a small hole, and tack a 3/16 piece of brakeline in, and put a pressure gauge on it,, and make a hard run through the gears to see what the reading is. Can even tack the brakeline to a hose clamp, then clamp to downpipe so as not to mark up the downpipe if your worried about that. Then just tack the hole shut with stainless wire. Easy and only a tiny mark on the pipe.

http://www.tercelreference.com/terce...st_theory.html

This is a good article thats been floating around for quite awhile,on different forums, good reading.

33. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2