98 vt5m - Page 2
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Results 36 to 70 of 198

    Thread: 98 vt5m

    1. #36

      98 vt5m

      But I did get a nice 3960 map pocket for $5.00 from a '99 C70 Conv at the JY .




      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Last edited by 98v70t5man; 09-17-2016 at 06:20 PM.
      -Paul
      '98 V70 T5M, M56H, Signal Red(601)/Light Beige(3960); IPD susp, ARD Green tune
      SOLD '98 S70 T5M

    2. Remove Advertisements

      Advertisements
       

    3. #37

      98 vt5m

      Does Special Delivery mean anything unique? It's on the cover of the owners manual for my '98 T5M. Fairly sure it's connected to my car since several documents linked to this VIN have permanent marks in some of the sleeves.














      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Last edited by 98v70t5man; 09-24-2016 at 08:04 PM.
      -Paul
      '98 V70 T5M, M56H, Signal Red(601)/Light Beige(3960); IPD susp, ARD Green tune
      SOLD '98 S70 T5M

    4. #38
      Member JaredR's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 2014
      Location
      Boston, MA
      Posts
      6,006
      That packet came with OSD cars. My first 850R was military delivery and I have one of these packets from it. My current one is OSD but I don't have the packet (but then I didn't get the owner's manual pouch with it, either).

    5. Remove Advertisements

      Advertisements
       

    6. #39
      Installed rear mud flaps. Can't believe it went this long without. Cleaned the debris out of the wheel wells and caked on the fuel fill tube.



      Love how they still fit nice with the wider wheel.




      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      -Paul
      '98 V70 T5M, M56H, Signal Red(601)/Light Beige(3960); IPD susp, ARD Green tune
      SOLD '98 S70 T5M

    7. #40
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Mar 2016
      Location
      Redmond, WA
      Posts
      202
      Quote Originally Posted by 98v70t5man View Post
      But I did get a nice 3960 map pocket for $5.00 from a '99 C70 Conv at the JY .




      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Question for you - I spent 5 hours in the junkyard (about 11 S/V/C70s in my local yard right now) today, and I pulled one of these map pockets out of a '99 S70. But my '98 S70 has a metal knee bolster in this space (as did the '98s in the junkyard) so the map pocket piece won't work. What am I missing?
      My new ride: 1998 S70 T5: http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthr...-3-000-dollars
      1998 S70 T5M SE parts car
      1998 S70 GLT fix-n-flip

    8. #41
      It seems the 99-00 utilizes dual stage air bags that does not require the knee bolster. I read that there is a similar part on those models that could be retrofitted into the 98 but loss of a key safety component is out the window. Removal of the 98 knee bolster and the RH bracket that supports it makes this fit I read, but entire removal is just a bad idea all around. Don't do it.


      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      -Paul
      '98 V70 T5M, M56H, Signal Red(601)/Light Beige(3960); IPD susp, ARD Green tune
      SOLD '98 S70 T5M

    9. #42
      Junior Member whitev70r's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 2003
      Location
      Vancouver, BC
      Posts
      559
      98v70t5m ... very nice car! The shine on that is pretty impressive for an 18 year old car. I love what you did, ARD, beautiful choice of wheels, exhaust (which one?), springs ... you hit all the essentials with best bang for $$ spent. I love that gen V70s and the T5 is probably the best of them all.
      98 V70 AWD - lowered on TME springs, Koni, IPD ECU, Volvo Dual Exhaust ... RIP
      05 V70 AWD - Got tired of the high rear end sticking up. SOLD
      98 V70R AWD - Bilstein touring fronts, Eurosport Tuning Dual Exhaust, lowered. SOLD
      05 V70 2.5T Sport Edition - current baby.
      09 Suzuki Gladius 650cc

    10. #43
      Junior Member _HighVoltage_'s Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 2011
      Location
      Minneapolis, MN
      Posts
      359
      Quote Originally Posted by redmondjp View Post
      Question for you - I spent 5 hours in the junkyard (about 11 S/V/C70s in my local yard right now) today, and I pulled one of these map pockets out of a '99 S70. But my '98 S70 has a metal knee bolster in this space (as did the '98s in the junkyard) so the map pocket piece won't work. What am I missing?
      Quote Originally Posted by 98v70t5man View Post
      It seems the 99-00 utilizes dual stage air bags that does not require the knee bolster. I read that there is a similar part on those models that could be retrofitted into the 98 but loss of a key safety component is out the window. Removal of the 98 knee bolster and the RH bracket that supports it makes this fit I read, but entire removal is just a bad idea all around. Don't do it.
      The metal knee bolster is held on by three (or maybe four) bolts. Easy to remove with a 3 inch extension socket. Should you remove it? Probably not. In the event of a crash it may help out a little, and do you really want to blame yourself for the rest of your life if something bad happens because you wanted a map pocket?

    11. #44
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Mar 2016
      Location
      Redmond, WA
      Posts
      202
      Quote Originally Posted by _HighVoltage_ View Post
      The metal knee bolster is held on by three (or maybe four) bolts. Easy to remove with a 3 inch extension socket. Should you remove it? Probably not. In the event of a crash it may help out a little, and do you really want to blame yourself for the rest of your life if something bad happens because you wanted a map pocket?
      OK - that makes perfect sense. Thanks for the explanation! My 1996 Passat doesn't even have a glove box at all! So just having a glovebox is a major upgrade.
      My new ride: 1998 S70 T5: http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthr...-3-000-dollars
      1998 S70 T5M SE parts car
      1998 S70 GLT fix-n-flip

    12. #45
      Quote Originally Posted by whitev70r View Post
      98v70t5m ... very nice car! The shine on that is pretty impressive for an 18 year old car. I love what you did, ARD, beautiful choice of wheels, exhaust (which one?), springs ... you hit all the essentials with best bang for $$ spent. I love that gen V70s and the T5 is probably the best of them all.
      Very kind, thank you. 40+ yrs of automotive and motorcycle maintenance OCD. Labor of love I suppose. I haven't felt this way about a vehicle in a while. I average a dozen a year and I hit the sweet spot with this one and it ain't leaving.


      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      -Paul
      '98 V70 T5M, M56H, Signal Red(601)/Light Beige(3960); IPD susp, ARD Green tune
      SOLD '98 S70 T5M

    13. #46
      Member JaredR's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 2014
      Location
      Boston, MA
      Posts
      6,006
      Isn't the knee bolster not present on the UN spec cars? Not 100% sure that is the case but, IF it is, I sure wouldn't call it a key safety component.

    14. #47
      Senior Member JRL's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 2003
      Location
      Devon PA
      Posts
      58,276
      Your almost new and GORGEOUS, tan steering wheel will go to UPS tomorrow!
      Thank you
      Email: jrl1194(at)aol.com
      If the subject is car purchase related please use jrl1194(at)gmail.com
      2007 V70 2.5T White/Oak 108K miles, new daily driver
      2000 V70R wife's. Won't sell, now near 141,000 miles and still near perfect!
      2000 S70 GLT SE 30,005 MILES, A time capsule! JUST SOLD.

    15. #48
      Quote Originally Posted by JRL View Post
      Your almost new and GORGEOUS, tan steering wheel will go to UPS tomorrow!
      Thank you
      Received today! Thanks a bunch, Jim. Can't wait to install. What a beauty.


      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      -Paul
      '98 V70 T5M, M56H, Signal Red(601)/Light Beige(3960); IPD susp, ARD Green tune
      SOLD '98 S70 T5M

    16. #49
      Left the garage today for a good spin around town.












      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      -Paul
      '98 V70 T5M, M56H, Signal Red(601)/Light Beige(3960); IPD susp, ARD Green tune
      SOLD '98 S70 T5M

    17. #50

      98 vt5m

      What is this gray 2-prong factory connector for?
      It uses blue/red and black wires, but I see no such color in the wiring diagrams.
      It was taped up and tucked under the radiator support under the LH headlamp.
      Seems too far to support an optional block heater.
      It's not for fog lights.
      The connector' spread fits an H7 bulb, but the connector is too deep for that.

      The headlamp and the headlamp wiper connectors are exposed to the left.








      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Last edited by 98v70t5man; 10-16-2016 at 03:27 PM.
      -Paul
      '98 V70 T5M, M56H, Signal Red(601)/Light Beige(3960); IPD susp, ARD Green tune
      SOLD '98 S70 T5M

    18. #51
      Quote Originally Posted by 98v70t5man View Post
      This was a doh! moment...glad no one got to the answer first. This connector powers the A.I.R Pump for the SAS system. I yanked and capped all of this system three yrs ago in my wagon.


      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      -Paul
      '98 V70 T5M, M56H, Signal Red(601)/Light Beige(3960); IPD susp, ARD Green tune
      SOLD '98 S70 T5M

    19. #52
      Junkyard visit today picked two near perfect headlights with mint wiring/reflectors/lenses, light beige console undamaged, radiator support undamaged, and lower grills for fog lights (mine are poorly cut to accommodate fogs). Went for an XC grill, too, but it was trashed. Also got a stock turbo airbox from an 850 w/o SAS.

      Should have picked four non-leather insert light beige door panels, amazingly uncracked, but faded much worse than mine.


      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      -Paul
      '98 V70 T5M, M56H, Signal Red(601)/Light Beige(3960); IPD susp, ARD Green tune
      SOLD '98 S70 T5M

    20. #53
      Member ZZZZZZZ's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 2005
      Location
      Northern MD
      Posts
      4,550
      Great looking car, Paul. Really nice.
      My initials - IPD - ZZZZZZZ's thread
      Now: 2007 vRgt, red & gobi - 2005 s60 2.5t AWD, silver & tan - 2002 xc70, silver & black
      Past: 1999 v70, tropic blue/green & oak and Mom started this in 1975 with a 1974 164e, maroon & maroon

    21. #54

      98 vt5m

      Relocated the horns since I was there after restoring that area of the car. Lack of the AIR pump provides two M8 nut plates. Used the bottom one with factory hardware and an alum mend plate and it clears the cruise control.





      Before


      After (same camera angle)



      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Last edited by 98v70t5man; 10-23-2016 at 10:24 PM.
      -Paul
      '98 V70 T5M, M56H, Signal Red(601)/Light Beige(3960); IPD susp, ARD Green tune
      SOLD '98 S70 T5M

    22. #55
      Quote Originally Posted by ZZZZZZZ View Post
      Great looking car, Paul. Really nice.
      Thanks.


      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      -Paul
      '98 V70 T5M, M56H, Signal Red(601)/Light Beige(3960); IPD susp, ARD Green tune
      SOLD '98 S70 T5M

    23. #56

      98 vt5m

      1. Standard teflon pipe thread tape resolved the minor leak at the eng oil drain plug.

      2. Found a reasonably priced service reminder indicator (SRI) reset tool.



      3. And got a great price on a new turn signal stalk to resolve the auto cancel feature when signaling since a new clockspring wasn't the problem. There is zero play in switch neutral which now makes sense why mine and those in the JYs are junk.



      4. And what's DONE without a replica from CJ?




      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      -Paul
      '98 V70 T5M, M56H, Signal Red(601)/Light Beige(3960); IPD susp, ARD Green tune
      SOLD '98 S70 T5M

    24. #57
      Member JaredR's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 2014
      Location
      Boston, MA
      Posts
      6,006
      I like the reset tool. Nice alternative to the service light delete.

      Make sure you get the motorsport badge on the right way! (you have it backwards in the picture.....)



    25. #58
      Quote Originally Posted by JaredR View Post
      I like the reset tool. Nice alternative to the service light delete.

      Make sure you get the motorsport badge on the right way! (you have it backwards in the photo...)
      True thanks.


      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      -Paul
      '98 V70 T5M, M56H, Signal Red(601)/Light Beige(3960); IPD susp, ARD Green tune
      SOLD '98 S70 T5M

    26. #59
      Member washdup's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 2007
      Location
      Ventura County, CA
      Posts
      2,099
      Where'd you find the reset tool?
      1998 V70 T5m @172k miles; 18t, turboback, Quaife LSD, Koni FSD/Eibach, IPD sways, SNAAB intake, ARD Blue, green injectors, etc., 50% E85
      1995 850 Turbo Sold at @168k miles.
      2004 V70R 6mt SOLD for the '98 plus mod money.

    27. #60
      Quote Originally Posted by 98v70t5man View Post
      1. Standard teflon pipe thread tape resolved the minor leak at the eng oil drain plug.

      2. Found a reasonably priced service reminder indicator (SRI) reset tool.



      3. And got a great price on a new turn signal stalk to resolve the auto cancel feature when signaling since a new clockspring wasn't the problem. There is zero play in switch neutral which now makes sense why mine and those in the JYs are junk.



      4. And what's DONE without a replica from CJ?




      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Yep need to know where you got that reset tool and if it works or not lol

    28. #61
      Quote Originally Posted by washdup View Post
      Where'd you find the reset tool?
      Impossible to find. Showed up on eBay. Yes it works. Came with instructions. It applies to 850 and 1998 models. Seller wanted 35 and I got it for 25 shipped.


      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      -Paul
      '98 V70 T5M, M56H, Signal Red(601)/Light Beige(3960); IPD susp, ARD Green tune
      SOLD '98 S70 T5M

    29. #62
      Junior Member pfunctional's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 2006
      Location
      Connecticut
      Posts
      457
      you can reset your service light with a $5 vagcom cable and a computer with VolFCR software which is also easy to find ...


      and oh yeah, beautiful wagon!
      Former:89 744 GLE 16V, 90 745 GLE 16V, 95 964, 94 854 Turbo, 01 S40 1.9T, 99 C70 HPT, 01 S60 T5, 07 VW GTI
      Current: 98 V70 GLT - 02 Motor, 16T, ARD, Supersprint - 178k, 97 854 GLT - 2.3Rn T-5 swapped, 2xxk, 99 S70AWD 310k

    30. #63
      Quote Originally Posted by pfunctional View Post
      you can reset your service light with a $5 vagcom cable and a computer with VolFCR software which is also easy to find ...


      and oh yeah, beautiful wagon!
      Good to know.


      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      -Paul
      '98 V70 T5M, M56H, Signal Red(601)/Light Beige(3960); IPD susp, ARD Green tune
      SOLD '98 S70 T5M

    31. #64
      I got a 15% 7 window tint on the wagon yesterday. Looks super I must say. Will get photos later.


      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      -Paul
      '98 V70 T5M, M56H, Signal Red(601)/Light Beige(3960); IPD susp, ARD Green tune
      SOLD '98 S70 T5M

    32. #65
      Member washdup's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 2007
      Location
      Ventura County, CA
      Posts
      2,099
      Quote Originally Posted by 98v70t5man View Post
      Impossible to find. Showed up on eBay. Yes it works. Came with instructions. It applies to 850 and 1998 models. Seller wanted 35 and I got it for 25 shipped.


      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Score.
      1998 V70 T5m @172k miles; 18t, turboback, Quaife LSD, Koni FSD/Eibach, IPD sways, SNAAB intake, ARD Blue, green injectors, etc., 50% E85
      1995 850 Turbo Sold at @168k miles.
      2004 V70R 6mt SOLD for the '98 plus mod money.

    33. #66
      Quote Originally Posted by pfunctional View Post
      you can reset your service light with a $5 vagcom cable and a computer with VolFCR software which is also easy to find ...


      and oh yeah, beautiful wagon!
      I have the cable and I think I downloaded that before but never used it! Glad to know I can reset it with that! Do you have a link with instructions?

    34. #67
      Member JaredR's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 2014
      Location
      Boston, MA
      Posts
      6,006
      Quote Originally Posted by volbro850 View Post
      I have the cable and I think I downloaded that before but never used it! Glad to know I can reset it with that! Do you have a link with instructions?
      Got a link to download VolFCR? I think I'm gonna order up a VAG-COM cable today......this sounds like VIDA except not quite as good which would be amazing for my 850s.

    35. #68
      Junior Member r0x4nn3's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 2017
      Location
      Boston, MA
      Posts
      600
      Quote Originally Posted by JaredR View Post
      Got a link to download VolFCR? I think I'm gonna order up a VAG-COM cable today......this sounds like VIDA except not quite as good which would be amazing for my 850s.
      Gimme a link, my mom has Amazon Prime still I think and I'll deliver it to ya house
      Join the Fun! 1996 855 Turbo Estate - Polar White/Dark Gray - 150k (est.)
      RIP: 2002 V70 XC AWD - Champagne
      1999 V70 XC AWD - Silver

    36. #69
      Quote Originally Posted by JaredR View Post
      Got a link to download VolFCR? I think I'm gonna order up a VAG-COM cable today......this sounds like VIDA except not quite as good which would be amazing for my 850s.
      http://en.freedownloadmanager.org/Wi...C/Vol-FCR.html

      Try this

    37. #70
      Member JaredR's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 2014
      Location
      Boston, MA
      Posts
      6,006
      Quote Originally Posted by volbro850 View Post
      Have to pay £126.00 to get the full version that you can actually do anything with.....where's the free one? lol


      Quote Originally Posted by r0x4nn3 View Post
      Gimme a link, my mom has Amazon Prime still I think and I'll deliver it to ya house
      My also has prime! I gotta order up some Mobil 1 for the T-5R anyway so it'll come in with that.

    38. Remove Advertisements

      Advertisements
       

    Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast