S60 R or C32 AMG
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to SwedeSpeed
    You're currently browsing Swedespeed as a guest. Please sign up or sign in and take part in the conversation with other Volvo owners and enthusiasts. With more than 2 million posts our community is one of the most active groups of Volvo owners in the world. Take a moment to sign up and enjoy all of the features our forums have to offer.

S60 R or C32 AMG

Has anyone compared these two cars closely or driven both? I am well on the way to becomming an S60 R owner, but noticed that a used 2002 or 2003 C32 AMG can be had for about the same $$$. The C32 has the following negatives:
      No AWD
      No manual transmission
      Mercedes "image" - Don't know if I want to be a Benz guy

Positives:
      0-60 - UNDER 5.0
      Probably handles better
      Less depreciation from a used car

Toss up:
      Reliability
      Size
      Comfort
      Safety

I think the cars are fairly comparable, but I don't hear anyone on here talking about it. Thoughts?

The lack of a manual transmission was a deal breaker for me, above everything else.
      2015 XC60 T6 RD, P+, Blis, climate, black sapphire
      previous: 2005 S60R magic blue/atacama 6mt (lease returned '08)

Re: S60 R or C32 AMG (Freddy C)

nice car. i did a quick surf and found some good sites with lots of info.

clearly a more expensive car if you compare new to new. a used one can be had in the high 30s. maybe low 40s.

it's faster than a stock R. probably on par with a mildly modified R.

the R is probably roomier.

What are YOU looking at?
      You can buy used C43s (newer) for far less
      Email: jrl1194(at)aol.com
      If the subject is car purchase related please use jrl1194(at)gmail.com
      2006 XC70 White/Black 62K miles, new daily driver
      2000 V70R wife's. Won't sell, now 123K miles and still perfect
      1994 Lincoln Continental. Showroom condition, LOW miles

Anti- MB? No Way!

I'm still dreaming about and lusting about this:

2004 V70R GT: Silver+Nordkap, Premium Sound+Subwoofer, Motorola BT, iMIV, IPD Stage II - DP - HDTCV, Kelly CAI, BMC, 10MM Spacers, Volvo DEM heat shield,
      '06 V70R console

Re: S60 R or C32 AMG (JRL)

i just did a quick search on cars.com...but I'm not a dealer so what do I know. by the way - Jim - I was looking at C32 AMG's ONLY...not regular C classes.

wouldn't a C32 AMG blow the doors of a C43

ok Jim - your the car dealer. if soemone was going to spend about $35k and wanted a USED car and wanted some kind of bad a$$ 4 door sedan...like an R, a Mercedes, BMW, etc...and you wanted something with really good power and 4 doors what would you get?

something in the class of the C32 or bigger/better but keep the pricing under $40k.

Not so much a note on comparing the two cars, but rather on differences in ownership.

R:
      Free maintenance 3/36K. Afterwards, services are fairly reasonable.

MB:
      Get prepared to drop some dough on those services.

Interest rate: you'll get a better rate on a new vehicle than a used (most likely), so that may be another positive for the R.

Just a few thoughts

Lee,
      2013 Jetta Sportwagen TDI 6MT, Platinum Gray/Titan Black (his)
      2013 Jetta Sportwagen TDI DSG, Tempest Blue/Cornsilk Beige (hers)
      1974 164E

Actually the free scheduled service plan was drop by MB from 2005 on... so if it is a 2001-2004 it will be included.

ps: the plan is transferable.

Quote, originally posted by Freddy C »
      Has anyone compared these two cars closely or driven both? I am well on the way to becomming an S60 R owner, but noticed that a used 2002 or 2003 C32 AMG can be had for about the same $$$. The C32 has the following negatives:
      No AWD
      No manual transmission
      Mercedes "image" - Don't know if I want to be a Benz guy

Positives:
      0-60 - UNDER 5.0
      Probably handles better
      Less depreciation from a used car

Toss up:
      Reliability
      Size
      Comfort
      Safety

I think the cars are fairly comparable, but I don't hear anyone on here talking about it. Thoughts?

Freddy,

I looked at the C32 before I bought my S60R GT (I need an auto in the city. I would love a MT but I would have to kill myself in traffic). The C32 is unbelievably fast compared to all stock forms of the S60R. Mildly modified is still going to have trouble with this car from the butt dyno. A heavily modified S60R could work it but you could modify the C32 (it has a super charger and I am sure you can get more out of it). The handling and brakes on C32 are nice and I would say on par with the S60R; defiantly a different feel but comparable. Feels a lot like the sport mode in the S60R with bigger sway bars but not as stiff as the advanced. The size of the interior is brutal in the C32. I was so cramped I was eating my knees and I was rubbing elbows with the passenger. The backset is even smaller then the Rís which is one of my complaints about the R. I actually like the interior of the R more but most people would probably like the C32 trimmings. The real decision to make between these cars is the awesome and the super fast supercharged motor in the C32 in purest RWD versus the AWD, bigger, and more comfortable interior of S60R. Which both have their benefits? Also, the C32 is going nowhere in the slightest winter conditions. Even with snow tires it would be a bear (low ground clearance) but it rips when you hit the gas. If you are over six feet I would defiantly drive the C32 first with a passenger (forget the back seats they are basically optional in this car).

Hope this helps,

Andrew

Modified by adpheschel at 6:17 PM 4-15-2005

Re: S60 R or C32 AMG (JRL)

Quote, originally posted by JRL »
      What are YOU looking at?
      You can buy used C43s (newer) for far less

The C43 (~1998) preceeded the C32

i think you're referring to the C55, the sucessor to the C32AMG with the 5.4L V8

Re: S60 R or C32 AMG (23109VC)

Quote, originally posted by 23109VC »

ok Jim - your the car dealer. if soemone was going to spend about $35k and wanted a USED car and wanted some kind of bad a$$ 4 door sedan...like an R, a Mercedes, BMW, etc...and you wanted something with really good power and 4 doors what would you get?

As I said these cars are cheaper than you may think
      I just bought (and wholesaled) a C43 with 60K on the clock for $13,800.
      So, this car might retail for $18 or 19, I don;t know.
      The point being you could find a LOW mileage C43 easily in the 30s (retail)
      Caddy CTS SPEC Vs are wholesaling SO CHEAP (mid 30s) that you should easily find one around 40K with VERY LOW miles
      400HP and contrary to what some say, these are not bad at all, (and very fast)

Re: S60 R or C32 AMG (SilverS60RNYC)

Quote, originally posted by SilverS60RNYC »

The C43 (~1998) preceeded the C32

i think you're referring to the C55, the sucessor to the C32AMG with the 5.4L V8

You ARE CORRECT, my bad.
      However I just looked up C32s (02) and they are wholesaling for around 29 to 31 so I would guess retail is around 35K or so, (for an 02)
      (the skinny is C43s are much more fun then a C32)

I looked at the C Series as well, but the C32 was a good bit more expensive and prior to 2003, the C Series was especially prone to electrical problems (2003 was better, 2004 seemed to be the year they were over the hump).

I didn't care much for the seats, loved the turning radius (only needed 2 lanes for a U-turn!), no in dash CD or CD Changer until 2004, trunk wasn't that big, no folding rear seats, really small inside, especially in the back seat. I did like the way it drove though. And i think the manumatic shifted left--right instead of up--down.

Rick
      2004 S60R GT - Flash Green, 18" Pegs, Climate, Premium, Touring, Navigation

I love the C32's, very nice and fast car !!! You have to remember they were made to compete against the M3 even though it is an automatic. With a supercharger upgrade you are making right around 400hp at the crank, I would think a modified R would still have a very hard time beaing a 400hp C32. They are smaller in size than a R. As someone said earlier if have snow in your area and do not have another vehicle to drive, then do not get the C32. Good luck and God Bless.
      2006 Sonic Blue V70R 6MT
      IPD Stage 2

Re: (JDELUNA)

Thanks for the comments. A dealer locally has a 2003 listed at $42. I have seen some 2002 with 20-30k for mid $30's. I will drive it and compare to my test drive in the S60 R. I only need the back seat to hold a car seat (baby on the way) or I would never get rid of my Z3 Coupe. The snow in these parts might mean leaving the RWD in the garage for 2-3 days a year....not too worried about it (last 3 cars were RWD).

For some reason I am stuck on cars that are somewhat rare and now that I need a 4 door the choices are limited.

Re: (Freddy C)

I bought (leased) my C32 in Feb, '03 coming out of an Audi Allroad (boring).
      I really like the AMG, it has spectacular performance, and has been very reliable. For the past few years, I have driven Golfs during the winter months. First my GTI, then in Feb. '04 bought a R32. The C32 never sees ice or snow, nor do I own winter tires for it. I think these cars took a bad hit on resale when the C55 appeared last Fall. At the time, I was looking to get out of my lease and could not get an offer over $34k for a 30,000 mile, Obsidian Black model with all options. I tried both the C32 Life and Benzworld web sites. I decided rather than take a loss to keep driving it. I am still a year out from lease termination. By then, my son will have the R32 and I will want to go back to an AWD. I posted earlier asking for opinions between the S4 avant and the V70R. But if you are looking at the C32, this owner says they are a blast to drive, reliable, stealthy, and have a nice blend of luxury and performance. The C55 has more torque, but the increased weight of the V8 seems to offset the additional horsepower. In sum, nothing but positives, but my next car will have AWD, even if I have to accept lesser performance.

Re: (orientblue3)

Hi,
      I have a C32 and two V70Rs ('00 and '04). These are totally different machines. The Rs are more refined and subdued than the C32, which is a scary fast great sounding rocket. The C32, even with snows, is not good in the winter while the AWDs are terrific (especially with snows). The C32 is a sports car, has an incredible sounding exhaust and what feels like an unlimited acceleration curve--the only thing that stops the acceleration curve is the need to take your foot off the gas at 135 mph--it would just keep going if you didnt. Both are great cars--the C32 is absolutely faster. You will love whichever you buy. Good luck.

Re: S60 R or C32 AMG (23109VC)

Quote, originally posted by 23109VC »

the R is probably roomier.

The R is WAAAY roomier. The E-Class is about the size of the S60 (maybe a teeny bit bigger inside). The C-Class is S40-sized.

2002 Volvo S60 T5 5M (SOLD) - ECU, intake, exhaust - 2:05 at BIR long course || 2006 Volvo S60R 6M Sonic Blue (RIP - saved my life) - 2:03.5 at BIR long course - 2:00 at BIR short course - Road Trip Pics - My HD Trackday Videos - Loud enough for ya? || 2007 Volvo S80 V8 (his), Barents Blue, 35% tint, Sport Package (4C), Heated and Cooled Seats, IPD Rear Sway Bar || 2011 Volvo XC70 T6 (hers), Oyster Grey, 35% tint, IPD Rear Sway Bar

Re: S60 R or C32 AMG (Warpedcow)

The C32 would blow the doors off the R in the wrong gear, and mildly modified, they can beat car like F360s. I like the feel of the R driving through twisties at 6.5-7/10th better, but once you start pushing it a little more, the C32 with RWD shines. They have about the same amount of room. A quick check of the interior dimension on a site like edmunds.com will tell you the same thing. The R's seat is more comfortable. The interior looks better in the C32.

Given the prices on C32s, I'd opt for one. A good friend of mine owns one, and he gets better gas mileage than I did in my R by a significant margin. The Supercharger is engaged by an elctromagnetic clutch, so it stays idle until boost is desired. Overall the interior is better in the C32, I think. Seat comfort in the front is still better in the R. The only time it feels smaller compared to the S60R is carrying 3 people in the back, and the R is already very cramped and uncomfortable with 3 people in the back, so you wouldn't really loose much there. It's in a different league than the R performance wise, and unless your R is trapping at 109+, you aren't keeping up with one. Without a speed limiter they top out just over 300kmh (186mph). I think they only one on this forum who could outrun one (in their Volvo) is Johann. And they can get to the power levels he's at without radical modifications.

Even with snow tires, the C32 is a little exciting in the snow... Despite a good weight distribution, it still gets VERY tail happy in the white stuff. The plethora of electronic nannies help with that, but it's still something you'll notice. The R is WORLDS better in the snow than the C32.

If you must have a manual, than obviously the C32 isn't for you. That said, the automatic is very good as automatics go. The Manumatic mode is much better than that on any other car I've ever driven. Even so, I'd say that the slushbox is that car's downfall, just as the FWD biased AWD in the R is it's downfall. Whichever way you go, you'll only get half of a performance drivetrain. It's your call whether the RWD or the Manual is more important.

Re: S60 R or C32 AMG (ChuckV)

Quote, originally posted by ChuckV »
      The C32 would blow the doors off the R in the wrong gear, and mildly modified, they can beat car like F360s. I like the feel of the R driving through twisties at 6.5-7/10th better, but once you start pushing it a little more, the C32 with RWD shines. They have about the same amount of room. A quick check of the interior dimension on a site like edmunds.com will tell you the same thing. The R's seat is more comfortable. The interior looks better in the C32.

ChuckV,

I agree with you the C32 is a four door rocket ship but the interior is defiantly smaller in the C32. The legroom (only a inch extra in the R) and headroom is the same but you get over 3" in hip and shoulder room. This allows ogres like me (six foot four) to spread my legs out a little and not straight leg my knees into my chin. Also, three inches of shoulder room (which is like and extra 4" between the passenger and driver because of seat placement) is a lot. When I drove this car the sales guy was five ten and we were defiantly invading each others personal space. Basically, Freddy I would defiantly drive the car to see if you can fit.

Andrew

Modified by adpheschel at 4:13 PM 4-16-2005

Re: S60 R or C32 AMG (adpheschel)

Quote, originally posted by adpheschel »

ChuckV,

I agree with you the C32 is a four door rocket ship but the interior is defiantly smaller in the C32. The legroom (only a inch extra in the R) and headroom is the same but you get over 3" in hip and shoulder room. This allows ogres like me (six foot four) to spread my legs out a little and not straight leg my knees into my chin. Also, three inches of shoulder room (which is like and extra 4" between the passenger and driver because of seat placement) is a lot. When I drove this car the sales guy was five ten and we were defiantly invading each others personal space. Basically, Freddy I would defiantly drive the car to see if you can fit.

Andrew

You had trouble? I'm 5'11/175 and I don't have trouble in a C class with other guys about the same size.

But given what you said, I agree. Bring along a big person for the test drive