SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

740 sedan B230 upgrades

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  wagonfan00 
#1 ·
I've had this 1990 black NA 740 design for a while for my son. He would like a better acceleration profile. All I can find is a XV grind camshaft for his engine from IPDUSA ( https://www.ipdusa.com/products/5847/114938-vx-street-performance-camshaft-for-non-turbos) He's satisfied with the suspension - which I have done a lot of work on my S80 for, if really helps the cornering and such. But he's interested in straight line acceleration, such as entering a highway. any ideas out there?

TIA!
Sky

#2 · (Edited)
Nothing much out there for these cars short of doing an engine swap for a B230FT if you're looking for a large performance upgrade
Check Car-part.com for prices usually < $1,000 for a used Turbo motor.

You could open up the air intake with a turbo air box and larger exhaust which might get you another 10-15 horse power on top of the VX cam. Swap out the automatic for a manual M46 with the electric OD or a M47 which is a true 5 speed would really help with off the line acceleration. M47 can be had for around $250-$450 don't forget to grab the bell housing, flywheel, pedals and rear end, manuals came with 3.54 rear ends autos came with 3.90-4.10's. If you don't change out the rear end with a manual conversion the cars fuel mileage will suffer greatly due to the overly high rpms it will be running at 60 plus mph.

The VX cam, the larger turbo exhaust system and turbo air box with the manual conversion, would really change the character of the car.

More power means the engine needs more air in and out that is the reason for the larger intake and exhaust system.

#3 ·
Hey pghvolvo, that is for the feed back. We're not looking for a huge project, or huge results, just something that would make a daily driver more responsive The least effort, largest payback item I could find was the XV cam. Anyone using this?

#4 ·
I'm not using the cam but I do own a NA V70 with a M56. Before I removed the airbox and replaced it with a cone filter and 3" tubing. I also removed the rear muffler. If you want to keep the car quieter put a turbo exhaust on the car from a 7/900. Bolts right up and is a wider diameter than the stock exhaust but not as loud as no muffler. Also could advance the timing a few degrees. If your car is LH2.4 you can wire in switches on the ecu to advance the timing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.