SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

battery life

6K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  matamoris 
#1 ·
Hi, All: we have an 2015.5 xc60 t6 drive-e, and I have some concern for the battery life. Recently we noticed that start/stop had not functioned for a while, and in the setup menu, it showed that the electronic system did not allow use the start/stop function, possible reasons are the battery is charging, or temperature is low. Start/stop still did not work after a 3-hour highway trip, but after another 2-hour highway trip, start/stop started to work again. Yesterday dealer test-drove it and confirmed that start/stop worked, and then they performed the test on battery. The battery failed the test, and they replaced the battery. It was only about 2 years. Does start/stop dramatically decrease battery life? Thanks!

#2 ·
I am not sure if you saw my post, but my 2015 RD is on its 3rd battery already. Someone posted that there is an issue with software and it needs an update. I spoke to my dealer about it and they said everything is up to date but for whatever reason, the battery still fails. my 2nd failed within a month.

#4 · (Edited)
I also own a 2015.5 XC60 T6 Drive E.
I had one battery fail when the car was less than 3 months old. It sat un-driven for 1 month before that failure. Since then I've needed a battery minder to keep the battery topped up. If I don't use the battery minder my start stop function stops working. I think this car needs to be driven much more than I currently drive it for the battery to stay "in shape". I've owned for two years and have about 10k miles on it to give you a sense of how little I drive it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#5 ·
thanks all for the replies. A little more info. We purchased the xc60 in August 2014, and it has about 38k miles on it. Even the start/stop did not function, the car could start without any issue. From now on, I think I will turn off the start/stop every time I sit behind the wheel. Let's wait and see how long this new battery lasts.

#6 ·
Replaced the factory Delco 650CCA battery for a better 810CCA Supercharge MF88.
All problems I was having are gone.

From the diagnosis, the crappy factory Volvo battery was only putting out 450CCA and was causing a plethora of electrical issues, stalling, BLIS failures and countless fault codes.

My advice, If you have a factory battery, GET RID OF IT ASAP!

#7 ·
Replaced the factory Delco 650CCA battery for a better 810CCA Supercharge MF88.
All problems I was having are gone.

From the diagnosis, the crappy factory Volvo battery was only putting out 450CCA and was causing a plethora of electrical issues, stalling, BLIS failures and countless fault codes.

My advice, If you have a factory battery, GET RID OF IT ASAP!
My 2015.5 T6 Drive-e came with a Volvo branded AGM 800CCA battery, 80ah. Smooth sailing over these two years of lots of start/stop in traffic. I'm guessing they upped the battery spec in recent years cause this battery is premium. There's also a secondary smaller battery to feed the larger battery on start/stop models. I read under the front bumper which should make it a joy to replace.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.