Best t5 inlet manifold upgrade - Page 2
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
      At present, I can't go beyond stage 1 due to the dp and CA emissions requirements - there isn't a CARB approved high flow cat available (yet), but I'm hoping that soon there will be. In general, I like to ballpark improvements by relatively realistic percentages, starting with the 220hp t5 engine - say 8% for the catback (237hp) - aftermarket manufacturers say 10% is average, another 8% for the inlet and intake pipe and accompanying IC upgrades (255hp) - pumaspeed claims 10% increase for inlet alone, and then +40hp for the stage 1 (295hp). If that's not too far off, I will be a happy happy camper.
      2005 V50 T5 AWD M66

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Without the extra boost/timing of Stage 3, you won't see 300 HP....w/o N2O....or perhaps a turbo upgrade.
      2005 S40 T5 AWD Stage 3
      2001 S60 LPT 2.5 swap, Speedtuning'd

Function > Form

So what's your thought on final output with a stage 1? And we are talking bhp, right?
      2005 V50 T5 AWD M66

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I know a lot of guys just running P* tunes with a few bolts on, all are between 250-260whp, so I'd say 300bhp is a fairly realistic figure.
      Full stage 3 will get you in the 270-280whp range, K16 will get you near or beyond the 300whp mark.

^ right, on paper it makes sense.
      2005 V50 T5 AWD M66

any idea how much power ill gain from this inlet manifold if i currently have intake exhaust intercooler and tune?

Pumaspeed says 10%, but I think that's optimistic.
      2005 V50 T5 AWD M66

So this sorta goes hand-n-hand with inlet upgrades: the turbo intake pipe. I got a snabb kit but I keep going back and forth on whether or not to wrap the intake tube. Some say not worth it, but I think its common sense that a metal intake pipe would heat up severely when mounted directly above the engine and particularly the exhaust manifold. Some said, doesn't matter because air moving cools things off and you don't want to trap heat inside the pipe. So I was on the fence... until I saw this: http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthr...-and-Group-Buy

That's a picture of the XC60 T6 engine bay. Guess what - they have a intake pipe heat shield specifically for the engine/exhaust. I'm sold. Wrapping up the tube with exhaust wrap.
      Last edited by mercdude; 11-04-2016 at 10:32 AM.
      2005 V50 T5 AWD M66

Close look at the pumaspeed inlet. Well made, good finish, but needs some assembly and finishing prior to install. I had to install the small 1/4" vacuum hose connector by drilling out the casting hole with a 15/64" drill bit, cleaned up the connector, and then carefully hammered the connector into the inlet. Next thing I did was take a dremel with sanding bit to the coarse casting at the inlet ports and smooth them out. Just a few minutes of work, but it's something the moutune/elevate inlet would not require.
      2005 V50 T5 AWD M66

Okay, update. Just installed the Pumaspeed inlet. In black wrinkle with no logo, it looks completely OEM (pics forthcoming). Installation was fairly simple with only one tip for future installers: connect the inlet to the inlet hose before you bolt everything to the lower inlet! (if that makes sense). Because of the redesigned inlet, the inlet hose has a hard time/maybe impossible to stretch and fit on the inlet when the inlet is mounted. Save yourself the struggle and attach the inlet to the hose and then use the inlet to help stretch the hose while you bolt everything to the lower inlet manifold.

A quick comparison between the stock inlet and the pumaspeed inlet shows that there's not much difference in cylinder port size or intake size; though pumaspeed makes the claim that there is. My calipers say otherwise - maybe an increase of 1-2mm, but that could be casting variance. But it's obvious that the plenum is much larger and has a smart tapered design in similar shape as the oem inlet. Stock airbox has no issues getting in/out with the plenum. Just a great stealth inlet.

Moment of truth: SOP dyno says pumaspeed's claim of 10% is fairly accurate. in combination with just a catback, the midrange/topend power is deepened and revs come on quicker. Even with my v50 awd, I have almost effortless pulls to 60mph now Worthwhile upgrade that I'm sure will yield more power as I tune and make mods to the intercooler system. Sadly, I expected to install a snabb turbo intake pipe today but the USPS service decided otherwise. Installation of the snabb intake pipe will be my next review and by next week, I'll have a new intercooler and a custom charge pipe completed.

Last edited by mercdude; 11-05-2016 at 08:23 PM.
      2005 V50 T5 AWD M66

On C30 forum Don is selling a brand new gloss black manifold for $500 http://www.c30crew.com/forum/showthr...tunity-for-you. Definitely worth considering, I'd be all over this if I didn't already have one.
      2010 S40 T5 AWD M66 R-Desgin (The Unicorn) - KW V1 - FastCo FC04A - Elevate rear sway bar - Massive RaceSpec Adjustable Camber Arms - Huper Optik 40% ceramic tint - Shark Stage 1 Tune - Elevate upper and lower manifold - Elevate Intake

^ That's a good deal
      2005 V50 T5 AWD M66

and after shipping how much did you spend if you dont mind me asking?
      2008 S40 T5 AWD ("Name pending") |ELEVATE Intake, intercooler, Torque Mount, ECU Mount, stage 3 APC Tune, 3 Stickers (5HP)ea||ClockWorkCalibrations Custom 3" Exhaust||EuroSportTuning 3" downpipe.||CF Cone Filter||De-Badged||custom Mesh Grill||Intercooler Cut out||Porsche 911 Throttle body upgrade||18" Niche Targa Wheels wrapped in 2154/45/18 Nikos||M3 Spoiler|| 8k Morimoto HID Kit|| White LED Fog,City,trunk light|

I think it was around $500, maybe a bit less.
      2005 V50 T5 AWD M66

Update. Installed snabb inlet. With a scalding hot engine, it took 1 hour. Looks OEM. Perfect stealth upgrade. Pics show the stock intake and also the snabb intake
      The SOP dyno says the intake is worth a few hp, but the biggest difference is the increased engine smoothness. A nice upgrade that'll probably yield more increases as the rest of the intake tract is upgraded.
      Last edited by mercdude; 11-07-2016 at 09:29 PM.
      2005 V50 T5 AWD M66

I seriously love how stock this looks! Just adds to the sleeper.

Right, that's the point - gotta fly under the radar for CA emissions testing. But also, yeah, it's fun to be unassuming and then light up a wrx here and there. Next up is AWD charge pipe fabrication and intercooler install. Should have that up by end of the week.

BTW, after fitting the intake pipe, I recommend the snabb kit over the elevate kit. Yes the elevate has a nice thermal/ceramic coating which in theory could help with heat soak, but the snabb has the same route as the oem which makes the installation past the ac lines easy + it has a bolt down which prevents any vibration. There is literally no vibration or noise issue with the snabb kit. I commend them on the thoughtfulness of adding a bolt down and the routing. Just great design.

It's funny - at this point, my power addiction is almost satisfied. With the catback, inlet, and intake pipe it's already got so much power it's nearly unusable in everyday driving (or maybe I'm still adjusting). I can't even imagine what it'll be like with a tune. A raped ape? Oh sorry, that's not PC - an assaulted primate?
      Last edited by mercdude; 11-08-2016 at 10:22 AM.
      2005 V50 T5 AWD M66

Quote Originally Posted by mercdude View Post
      It's funny - at this point, my power addiction is almost satisfied. With the catback, inlet, and intake pipe it's already got so much power it's nearly unusable in everyday driving (or maybe I'm still adjusting).
      You can't be serious lol

Which catback do you have?
      2005 Volvo S40 T5 AWD M66 || 1987 Toyota MR2 || 2002 Lexus IS300 [hers] || 2008 Volvo V50 T5 [Sold 2016] || 2001 Acura Integra GSR [Stolen 2010 lol]

Does the pumaspeed inlet plenum have a larger opening to accomodate a 70MM throttlebody?

Quote Originally Posted by V50toS40 View Post
      You can't be serious lol

Which catback do you have?
      Actually I'm not kidding - when's the last time you safely had room to throttle up past 4k during a commute? Sure, you can screw around in the evening, but I've got other (house) projects scheduled for that time frame. And, I had a custom 2.5" mandrel bent catback system made with a walker quiet flow SS (firebird) muffler welded up. Only very minor 12-1300 rpm resonation during cold. Otherwise sounds stock.

From my measurement, the pumaspeed inlet is the same, or very close to the same, as OEM. I know they revised the casting to increase port size as some point, so maybe I got the old version (hence the good deal). Either way I'm happy with it.
      2005 V50 T5 AWD M66

We're all content at different levels.
      You're doing it right though, one mod at a time, see the improvement, enjoy it, then see what's next.

It took me a few months before I was comfortable using 100% of my power 100% of the time. When I start to get bored, I like to drive the 850 for a few days, then get back in the C30 to be reminded just how "fast" it really is. I could realistically see 300whp for a solid daily, but more than that would be wasted for most of my driving.

Well, it's not like I wouldn't like to use the power, or that my contented-ness precludes me from wanting to obtain more/will obtain more, but where could I realistically use more power? Seriously, I'm lucky if I can drive 10 miles across town in under 30mins. That's city life for you. There are moments where I need (okay want) more power - passing slowpokes/jerks on the highway, merging off the freeway onto an arterial road, and occasionally embarrassing wrx car hipsters/bro's - otherwise I'm hardpressed to find the room to use the power. Before, I found myself using more throttle, but now with the engine improvements the rev's come on too fast and speed picks up too quick. My smiling face also comes on faster too.
      2005 V50 T5 AWD M66

Quote Originally Posted by Jasper View Post
      Does the pumaspeed inlet plenum have a larger opening to accomodate a 70MM throttlebody?
      Correction to my post earlier - YES! I just installed the porsche 70mm throttle body and it matches the pumaspeed inlet perfectly. these are a must-do together - lots of extra power at 4k+
      2005 V50 T5 AWD M66

I just installed the porsche 70mm throttle body and it matches the pumaspeed inlet perfectly. these are a must-do together - lots of extra power at 4k+

Correction to my post earlier - YES! I just installed the porsche 70mm throttle body and it matches the pumaspeed inlet perfectly. these are a must-do together - lots of extra power at 4k+
      Ah so the pumaspeed will fit the 70mm throttle body. This is good to know.

Definitely will, easy bolt on. A noticeable increase in power. Speaking of - tomorrow I'm getting my Shark stage 1.5 tune installed, which is basically a stage 1 + extra timing to take advantage of the upgraded intercooler. I talked to Juha about it and the timing is the only difference between stage 2 and stage 3. So I expect a very substantial change. We'll see!
      2005 V50 T5 AWD M66

My shark tuner showed up early and I had some spare time to install it - finished in about 20mins from software download onto the computer, to syncing the files onto the handheld, and then to the car's ecm upload. And ... just. wow. what. a. difference! There's so much more oomph at low RPM's that I'm having to learn how to modulate the throttle all over again. I haven't even explored how much extra power there is because I can't find the right situation to open it up, but on a slight right hand turn in 1st gear with about 3/4 throttle I almost broke all 4 tires loose! Good lord. Now that's a T5.
      2005 V50 T5 AWD M66

How much can you get a Porsche 70mm throttle body for and where?
      2010 S40 T5 AWD M66 R-Desgin (The Unicorn) - KW V1 - FastCo FC04A - Elevate rear sway bar - Massive RaceSpec Adjustable Camber Arms - Huper Optik 40% ceramic tint - Shark Stage 1 Tune - Elevate upper and lower manifold - Elevate Intake

ebay - part # 98660511501, got mine for around $75 shipped.
      2008 S40 T5 AWD ("Name pending") |ELEVATE Intake, intercooler, Torque Mount, ECU Mount, stage 3 APC Tune, 3 Stickers (5HP)ea||ClockWorkCalibrations Custom 3" Exhaust||EuroSportTuning 3" downpipe.||CF Cone Filter||De-Badged||custom Mesh Grill||Intercooler Cut out||Porsche 911 Throttle body upgrade||18" Niche Targa Wheels wrapped in 2154/45/18 Nikos||M3 Spoiler|| 8k Morimoto HID Kit|| White LED Fog,City,trunk light|

Definitely will, easy bolt on. A noticeable increase in power. Speaking of - tomorrow I'm getting my Shark stage 1.5 tune installed, which is basically a stage 1 + extra timing to take advantage of the upgraded intercooler. I talked to Juha about it and the timing is the only difference between stage 2 and stage 3. So I expect a very substantial change. We'll see!
      Did you get different screws with the intake manifold? Because the stock torx screws connecting the throttle body to the manifold were a PITA to get off. Attaching the Porsche TB to the silicone hose was also a major PITA... But then again, I did it in the cold on the street with no heat gun or anything lol.

Quote Originally Posted by jondevieonS40 View Post
      Lucky! I looked for about a month and cheapest I could find was $85.
      2005 Volvo S40 T5 AWD M66 || 1987 Toyota MR2 || 2002 Lexus IS300 [hers] || 2008 Volvo V50 T5 [Sold 2016] || 2001 Acura Integra GSR [Stolen 2010 lol]

Check ebay - the TB i used was for a 2001 Porsche boster 2.7L. for about $60 and the pumaspeed inlet manifold came with 50mm bolts, so I didn't use the original torx bolts. And yeah, getting the inlet hose to stretch over the throttle body was challenging but doable with some patience and a small flat screwdriver to help pull the lip over. I ended up using a little bit of grease on the inside of the silicone hose to help facilitate the stretch (btw, silicone stretches much easier than the OEM rubber hose).
      2005 V50 T5 AWD M66

My shark tuner showed up early and I had some spare time to install it - finished in about 20mins from software download onto the computer, to syncing the files onto the handheld, and then to the car's ecm upload. And ... just. wow. what. a. difference! There's so much more oomph at low RPM's that I'm having to learn how to modulate the throttle all over again. I haven't even explored how much extra power there is because I can't find the right situation to open it up, but on a slight right hand turn in 1st gear with about 3/4 throttle I almost broke all 4 tires loose! Good lord. Now that's a T5.
      It's truly amazing just how much potential these cars have with just a few bolt ons and some software.

yes, it is amazing. Almost a night and day difference. Now I just need to install my boost gauge and a CARB approved DP to complete the package.
      2005 V50 T5 AWD M66

Quote Originally Posted by jondevieonS40 View Post
      Nabbed one over the weekend for 50 bux!
      Garage Queen - 2010 C30 R-Design Vrooooooom
      Daily - 2016 V60 T5 Drive-E Vrooooooom
      Zichrona Livracha - 2004.5 S40 T5

Nice!
      2005 V50 T5 AWD M66

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast