Best t5 inlet manifold upgrade - Page 3
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
      Quote Originally Posted by mercdude View Post
      http://www.pumaspeed.com/product-Pum...ST225_1165.jsp

Good point about the UK. Maybe I should jump on the pumaspeed inlet - at 400 USD, that's a screaming deal. And hey, I'm just laying the framework for the stage 1 tune. Starting with the bolt-ons first and working my way to the tune. I should be getting my new intercooler tonight (theh XC60 IC) and then the next project is to fab up a new 2.5" turbo hardpipe to match the intercooler inlet - assuming the inlet is 2.5" that is. Though, the routing gets tricky with AWD. I'm also fighting to resolve some minor residual resonation with the new catback. considering micro post-muffler resonators at this point; or, exhaust dampers in my quest to get performance and oem sound. Next step is dynomatting the trunk area to see if that solves it.

Make Sure You get the Puma - generation number II with the Larger Openings

Hoping to see one up close soon .. to do a Port Match . . to Lower ..
      ** V50 AWD - Handling & Performance Tweaks = New Stance / VW CC - Handling Tweaks - Testing & Porting - Intake Mods
      A Garden Gate will Last You a Life Time . http://s261.photobucket.com/user/Eng...0Trim%20%20etc

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

At present, I can't go beyond stage 1 due to the dp and CA emissions requirements - there isn't a CARB approved high flow cat available (yet), but I'm hoping that soon there will be. In general, I like to ballpark improvements by relatively realistic percentages, starting with the 220hp t5 engine - say 8% for the catback (237hp) - aftermarket manufacturers say 10% is average, another 8% for the inlet and intake pipe and accompanying IC upgrades (255hp) - pumaspeed claims 10% increase for inlet alone, and then +40hp for the stage 1 (295hp). If that's not too far off, I will be a happy happy camper.
      I think You'd have to have all the Pcs. to Full Effect .. and Yet anyone of those Not Matched Up and U Loose a Lot . .

LOL Die Grinder & $50.00 Bucks in Tools , Compressor , Die Grinder another $300.00 all Min..

Then better be able to Smooth all that out Nicely
      Last edited by EngTech; 03-13-2017 at 05:17 PM.
      ** V50 AWD - Handling & Performance Tweaks = New Stance / VW CC - Handling Tweaks - Testing & Porting - Intake Mods
      A Garden Gate will Last You a Life Time . http://s261.photobucket.com/user/Eng...0Trim%20%20etc

Sounds like you're volunteering to help

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      2005 V50 T5 AWD M66

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Sounds like you're volunteering to help

My parts and his expertise and time atm!
      Garage Queen - 2010 C30 R-Design Vrooooooom
      Daily - 2016 V60 T5 Drive-E Vrooooooom
      Zichrona Livracha - 2004.5 S40 T5

Quote Originally Posted by EngTech View Post
      I think You'd have to have all the Pcs. to Full Effect .. and Yet anyone of those Not Matched Up and U Loose a Lot . .

LOL Die Grinder & $50.00 Bucks in Tools , Compressor , Die Grinder another $300.00 all Min..

Then better be able to Smooth all that out Nicely
      Btw, yes I do have all those pieces installed. In my list I didn't include the improvements to the turbo tract and intact tract which I've also done. That has also helped to open the engine up. But, there's a downside: the increased diameter of the charge pipe and IC has created some turbo lag between idle-2k rpm. After 2k, it hits like a ton of bricks all the way through 5k. I think At this point the upgrades have created a somewhat mismatched power delivery with the cams - the cams peak torque at around 3k but since this combo doesn't really get the turbo full boosted until 2k, you've only got about 1000 rpm to get a lot of torque down. It would probably be better if I had cams that peaked torque around 3.5/4k.... still hauls a** though. It's definitely competitive with bmw 335's.
      2005 V50 T5 AWD M66

Btw, yes I do have all those pieces installed. In my list I didn't include the improvements to the turbo tract and intact tract which I've also done. That has also helped to open the engine up. But, there's a downside: the increased diameter of the charge pipe and IC has created some turbo lag between idle-2k rpm. After 2k, it hits like a ton of bricks all the way through 5k. I think At this point the upgrades have created a somewhat mismatched power delivery with the cams - the cams peak torque at around 3k but since this combo doesn't really get the turbo full boosted until 2k, you've only got about 1000 rpm to get a lot of torque down. It would probably be better if I had cams that peaked torque around 3.5/4k.... still hauls a** though. It's definitely competitive with bmw 335's.
      I believe that EngTech has a set of Newman cams for sale if you're looking to upgrade.
      2005 Volvo S40 T5 AWD M66 || 1987 Toyota MR2 || 2002 Lexus IS300 [hers] || 2008 Volvo V50 T5 [Sold 2016] || 2001 Acura Integra GSR [Stolen 2010 lol]

I'd actually consider that if I didn't have to pass CA smog emissions testing.
      2005 V50 T5 AWD M66

But this does bring an interesting point - has anyone ever installed the turbosmart wastegate actuator?
      2005 V50 T5 AWD M66

I'd actually consider that if I didn't have to pass CA smog emissions testing.
      It doesn't seem like emissions wouldn't change much and wouldn't be noticeable during the visual inspection?
      2005 Volvo S40 T5 AWD M66 || 1987 Toyota MR2 || 2002 Lexus IS300 [hers] || 2008 Volvo V50 T5 [Sold 2016] || 2001 Acura Integra GSR [Stolen 2010 lol]

The cams could affect emission, yes. Moving the overlap and duration up essentially means the engine is more efficient at higher rpm at the cost of efficiency at the lower rpms where the baseline for that vehicle has been set.
      2005 V50 T5 AWD M66

Also, a lot of tunes won't pass OBDII emissions based on how they effect various sensors, and it's not suggested to drive on the stock tune if you have aftermarket cams.

Mniwt, any way to figure out if shark disables sensors?

2005 V50 T5 AWD M66

Mniwt, any way to figure out if shark disables sensors?
      It depends what you're being tuned for. Send an email to Juah or Mikko and they should be able to tell you the full details. I don't have inspections/emissions, so I haven't looked to far into it, but I used to live in an area with OBDII emissions with my S40 and always had to revert to the stock tune file to pass.

I know my C30 is setup to disable the 2nd O2 sensor since I'm catless. They've had to tweak a few other things to prevent the car from running to rich, so those alterations will definitely give an OBDII emissions test a few problems.

I believe Steve - got His K16 to pass Inspection in NY - dialed back to Std. Boost .
      The Cams - Street Cams - Not Race Cams .. and UK and Europe have stricter then US on Emissions ..

Cams would wake up the Mid-Range and Top RPM .

I have about $800 Cost .. I Inspected and place with Oil Wrap back in Box .. Our Retirement Home has Us Burning through Time & Money .
      $700.00 is Fair ..

Also You all have to ask Yourself - how come the Ford T5 @ 305 HP and Larger DP with more Cam - is doing A - OK on all Euro Spec. Emissions @ 17 lbs Boost ..
      Reason for Going to ECU's - as they are Smart & have Spectrum of Range . . .

Porting is going to Flow More & make Engine more Eff% same thing . .
      Last edited by EngTech; 03-15-2017 at 08:26 AM.

Europe is not stricter than CA, and they have different metrics they evaluate. Even so... with VVT and the way the cams are placed in the valve cover (sorry, upper cylinder head), this almost seems like a job beyond my skillset to accomplish in my garage, by myself. And finding someone else to do the work seems cost prohibitive, assuming someone familiar with P1's has a greater skillset than myself. Sigh, this makes me reminisce about the days of OHV V8's.
      2005 V50 T5 AWD M66

I think upgraded cams would be pretty awesome. It's too bad it doesn't seem like anyone stateside has these on their car.

MNIWT has upgraded cams on his C30 - they require a tune, which also precludes any sort of OBDII emission testing.

I'm still skeptical as to how good the cams would be, honestly. In my experience, it's always better to under cam than over cam.... until the cam is your limiting factor, that is. Before I did that, I'd go port/polishing of lower and upper intake and probably a new turbo compressor wheel. Oh, and a upgraded DP too.
      Last edited by mercdude; 03-15-2017 at 12:04 PM.
      2005 V50 T5 AWD M66

There are about 9-10 , C30's running Cams , a few even have the more Aggressive ones ..

Porting & Polishing is as Good an Item to do .. for sure .. as the Other Options .
      If this is somehow a lesser - Skill Set - Why don't I see 27 others doing this
      out of the 10,000 Volvo's on SS . . World Wide .

RS has more Cam the Street version of Newman's very close to the RS but also do the Exhuast .

I Don't Think the Throttle Body will get you much maybe 1% - 3% - If you have all the other Items done already ..
      like K16 . .

Just maybe If I could make 100 Cars more Eff% I could save ; Believe Me I'm dong so much more then Porting . .
      http://www.cheerios.com/BringBackTheBees
      Last edited by EngTech; 03-16-2017 at 01:04 PM.

I agree with a cam change, but only if I was hunting for 400hp. I'm pretty confident with some nice bolt-on's, a tune, and some exhaust work you're hitting over 300hp. For a 2.5, that's pretty good. If I wanted to inch closer to 350hp, I'd go with ported/polished upper/lower inlets and a new compressor wheel. Taking intake manifolds apart is a lot easier than cams (on these cars), though the turbo removal wouldn't be fun.
      2005 V50 T5 AWD M66

I agree with a cam change, but only if I was hunting for 400hp. I'm pretty confident with some nice bolt-on's, a tune, and some exhaust work you're hitting over 300hp. For a 2.5, that's pretty good. If I wanted to inch closer to 350hp, I'd go with ported/polished upper/lower inlets and a new compressor wheel. Taking intake manifolds apart is a lot easier than cams (on these cars), though the turbo removal wouldn't be fun.
      This is my thought. Cams are tricky and I wouldn't want to pay a shop to do it because I only want to do it (installs) myself

Cams , must have a Good Engine Guy to do those . A Good time to do Cams - when You getting You Cam Belt -
      Refreshed seeing their all ready in there that saves much ..

I to like to do My Own Stuff , but Time & Experience is Critical in everything We do ..

If You Match all the Intake Items Up , You should be able to get Plenty of Power ..
      I haven't heard any Numbers for those running High PSI Tune . .

Some Where on a Back Up Disk I have all the Cam Install Procedures , looks to me one just has to be Careful and NOT Hurry ..

Same with Porting - You have to Measure and Check - Compare each Intake Track as they do Vary . .
      Then there is Matching 1 Unit to the Other .. Radius Play Important Role .

Elevate Plume - looks to have taken Advantage of Pressure Pulses coming off the Far Flat End - to - Aid in Cly. Filling .
      Puma Plume - Looks to have Squeezed Down the Plume to Aid in Fill Velocity .
      More on this Later . .

Elevate Plume - looks to have taken Advantage of Pressure Pulses coming off the Far Flat End - to - Aid in Cly. Filling .
      Puma Plume - Looks to have Squeezed Down the Plume to Aid in Fill Velocity .
      More on this Later . .
      Hard to say which is expected to add more numbers huh?

Everything needs to work together :
      [IMG][/IMG]

^love the 'fast' description. Btw, please keep reviewing the inlets, I'm very much interested in your analysis. Something to consider, the Elevate/Moutune inlet has an epoxy coating on the inside of the plenum - puma has a rough cast.

Side note, I'm very tempted to get my stock lower and puma upper plenums port matched and polished. Any concerns?
      2005 V50 T5 AWD M66

Here's what I'm seeing on those Puma & Lower Combo ..

1. The Puma doesn't have a lot of Volume . ( Volume is something to Consider for K16 @ 24 PSI ) for K04 18 PSI Cool

2. It is Lighter 4.5 lbs or so which is good , but this makes it more Technical to do .. or Harder ..

3. I did see some Casting Flash etc. on inside - see Photo's

4. It is Basically a Copy of the OE But Won't Blow a Hole in It ( If You decide to Run K16 )
      Has some increases .040 x .050 in of the Lower Intake Track Exits . . ( Looks Like Room for Improvement & Thermal Gasket ) !

5. The Throttle Body ( Inlet Dia. ) is Larger then Stock a good amount - but - still needs to be Matched for
      Clean Flow on a Larger Throttle Body .
      Note Pic's ( again Not much Material ) Very Careful . . or "Boom" No Sealing Surface . .
      (( I could Fill the O-Ring Groove and make a Custom Gasket - Out of Heat Stopping Material . . `\ : - )

ON the Next Photo's Please Note Ding in Sealing Surface & Plastic crap in groove from some sort of Protection Wrap .
      On other Pic's I roughed in the Opening and will be Polishing it next . ( Material Removed Note Thinner Inside Wall Entrance )
      On another Pic - it is Shot through the Out_Lets - looking inside @ Casting Flash . .
      Still one more of Cleaning Up the Casting Flash Area - Placing a Large Radius - Heading to Other Cylinders .

Clicking on Pic's will get You a Close Up ..

https://goo.gl/photos/zvKb8WA1jSqGZjP69
      Last edited by EngTech; 03-17-2017 at 06:15 PM.

I agree, the puma looks very similar to stock, but it is much larger (that's why I got it). You're doing more polishing than porting, which is exactly what I want to do - let me know how it turns out!
      2005 V50 T5 AWD M66

Your Only seeing the In_Let !
      Lower Unit I'm Currently doing will need to Upper Removal of another .045 x .045 at Least and Alignment to those Ports
      too the Lower . .

Polishing is like .008 - .011 - Certainly Not even .020

I'm thinking of Doing a Thermal Gasket . Everyone Could Use Don's on this Puma thou . .
      Especially Needed in My Book - Either - a Very Good Thermal Coat or Both !

Thinner Walls - will Heat Up Fast !

Looking at this another way would be to say : Generation II Puma is .025 Per side on Outlets , It allows You to Port , and
      Won't Blow a Hole
      with High Boost ..Inlet is Designed for larger throttle Body ..
      Last edited by EngTech; 03-17-2017 at 06:29 PM.

I'd be interested in how much you'd charge for port matching upper and lower plenums with polishing

2005 V50 T5 AWD M66

I was just looking at a Site today that ACID - Ports - Man talk about Lazy .
      Any How wonder how that works on Porosity ( Burns Right Through ) Small Block - 1 Manifold Alu. $675.00
      Cast Iron - $875.00 WWoowwessssiiirrrr !

Lets see - It's been in the Tank for 6 Hrs. and Inspected it Three Times - Weeeeuu Man I Bet they must Be Sweating . . LOL

Guys are Quoting Shop Time _ $65.00 a Hr. Min. - that's Way Cheaper then LA or Calif. Cost of everything out there is Crazy . .

PM'd

Text for Details and Questions 423-920-3031
      Last edited by EngTech; 03-17-2017 at 08:57 PM.

You don't want want your intake polished. Intake 101 says that a polish intake prevents the turbulence that keeps the gasoline in a vapor and prevents it from forming a droplet and not burning. The smoother it is, the less turbulence, the more gasoline droplets form and the less power the combustion cycle produces. Unless you're talking about an external polish, which I personally think would look sweet.

Something to be considered when getting an intake with a larger far side from my diesel days is that there is less of a pressure drop on the intake stroke due to the increased capacity of that side, meaning that the further side will not get as much air back in the space when the intake valve closes. Now if the intake manifold was calculated to include the appropriate size for 5 cylinders at the first cylinder, 4 cylinders at the second, 3 at the 3rd, 2 at the 4th, and 1 at the last, like the stock one shrinks, you'd gett better performance out of each cylinder on the way down the line. Bigger is better sure, but it needs to be angled to ensure each one has the best amount of feed going to it, otherwise you get a large amount of air sitting at cylinder 4 and 5 that heats up and doesn't move through fast enough, increasing exhaust temps and decreasing stroke power.
      Last edited by avenger09123; 03-17-2017 at 09:32 PM.
      2006 Volvo S40 AWD T5 M66 - Dusty Rusty
      2012 Subaru Outback 2.5i CVT - Slowmobile - CAI only, Powerstop Rotors+Pads.
      1996 HD Electra Glide - Big Bertha 10:1 Pistons; EV13 Cam: Ultima Digital Ignition; Buell Head Conversion; E85 Carb Tuned;

Yeah but fuel isn't atomized in the upper and lower inlets - that happens after the lower inlet right at the intake valve. So really, the roughness of the inlets causes a pressure loss, especially when you consider that the intake tract is boosted.
      2005 V50 T5 AWD M66

We were talking about the Proper Amount of Polish 180 is all One needs to get Good Air Flow to the Wall .. ( Closer ) Boundary Layer
      They do all Kinds of Crazy Machining Now with small Ball End Mills to create a Tighter Boundary Layer Effect .. ..( F1 ) stuff .

Matching the Top and Adding Thermal Gasket - Keeps everything moving , Especially Boosted as it goes from
      4-6 Psi back up to 12 Psi during Closed Valve Events . Pulsing Backward - Proper Radius helps in Booth Directions . . . .

My Polishing leaves behind an Effect like Skin - Special Skin . .

We were talking about the Proper Amount of Polish 180 is all One needs to get Good Air Flow to the Wall .. ( Closer ) Boundary Layer
      They do all Kinds of Crazy Machining Now with small Ball End Mills to create a Tighter Boundary Layer Effect .. ..( F1 ) stuff .

Matching the Top and Adding Thermal Gasket - Keeps everything moving , Especially Boosted as it goes from
      4-6 Psi back up to 12 Psi during Closed Valve Events . Pulsing Backward - Proper Radius helps in Booth Directions . . . .

My Polishing leaves behind an Effect like Skin - Special Skin . .
      Why did that make me think of foreskin when I read special skin ha. I think a spiral hone of like 60 grit after the injectors and into the head and a solid polish (up to 1000 grit) before them would be ideal. But that's me. If I ever have a reason to take off the intake mani...one day, just waiting for problems to show up.
      Last edited by avenger09123; 03-18-2017 at 01:24 PM.
      2006 Volvo S40 AWD T5 M66 - Dusty Rusty
      2012 Subaru Outback 2.5i CVT - Slowmobile - CAI only, Powerstop Rotors+Pads.
      1996 HD Electra Glide - Big Bertha 10:1 Pistons; EV13 Cam: Ultima Digital Ignition; Buell Head Conversion; E85 Carb Tuned;

Injector are right about .700 from the Head - so it looks like they Aimed the Spray onto the Head for Cooling ( In that Direction )
      It most likely Vaporizes - Cooling as it Proceeds in Microseconds toward the Valves and Piston .

Pretty Good Numbers being put up for the Puma Generation II - over in the UK ..

Anyhow Adding Material to the Out side on the Tight Radius allows for a Nice Radius as- the Stock Radii are pretty small Lower Inlet .. after dropping 1.8 inches and
      another .760 or so over 2.50 " Straight down out of the Plume - then it has to Been around .400 Radius Air has to gong like 150 Mph ..or 220 ft a sec.

Stage 2 Lower Inlet has Got Much Larger Radii Now - more 1.20 R - Now .. all these are Conservative numbers ..
      I Believe - Boosted Air - will Huge that just Fine !

Just Correcting . .
      Last edited by EngTech; 03-18-2017 at 08:10 PM.

I'd be interested in how much you'd charge for port matching upper and lower plenums with polishing

Just don't Be - Wishy Washy - I don't have Time for that ..

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast