Venetian Red 2000 V70R AWD Being Brought Back! - Page 3
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
      Quote Originally Posted by Fmfosnacht View Post
      Lol. Your right about that! When it snows I take out my 2016 XC90 so crazy people don't slide into the "good" car. #wifethinksimcrazy

2016 Magic Blue XC90 Inscription
      2000 Venetian Red V70R
      Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
      LOL. But, seriously, I've given up driving in snow because of all the morons out there. I almost got killed by a cop driving recklessly in the snow about a year ago (he would have t-boned me at like 50 mph - in a 30 zone at a known dangerous intersection I might add - had I entered that intersection a second or so earlier than I did) and that really did it for me. No more of this. And then I've got that crop of non-enthusiast friends who are always like "DUDE LMAO I SLID THROUGH LIKE THREE RED LIGHTS GOING DOWN A HILL IN THE SNOW LAST NIGHT LOL!" so that really doesn't help, either.

If you are going to go out in the snow, it'll be a way easier insurance battle with the XC90 if (when?) you get hit, and there will be plenty of them out there to replace it with if it's terminal. You would never get the insurance company to pay out anything near what you have in the V70R, and good luck finding another one even if you did get enough money to buy another. #turnsoutyourenotcrazy

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

In addition to the XC90 having a lot more safety features given that it's a roughly 20 year newer design. Was reading the thread last night about the XC90 that got t-boned at around 60 mph - car rolled a few times and both driver and passenger got out of car relatively unharmed. Congrats on your Venetian - looks fabulous. How much do you estimate that you have into it at this point?
      Past Volvos: '94 854, '99 S70 T5 SE, '99 S70 GLT, '04 S60RM, '12 S60 T5, '13 S60 T5, '15 S60 RD
      Present Garage: '16 MX5 Club, '95 854 T-5R, '05 V70RGT, '15.5 XC60 T6, '16 V60 P*

That is an excellent question, and I hope you answer truthfully. I'd love to bring one back sometime. There are some on here lately that have been dirt cheap by comparison to what they were just two or three years ago, but they scare me if I'm going to be in elbows deep with expenses. I do plan on trying to do some myself, but still.
      Quote Originally Posted by Wayne T5 View Post
      In addition to the XC90 having a lot more safety features given that it's a roughly 20 year newer design. Was reading the thread last night about the XC90 that got t-boned at around 60 mph - car rolled a few times and both driver and passenger got out of car relatively unharmed. Congrats on your Venetian - looks fabulous. How much do you estimate that you have into it at this point?
      My initials - IPD - ZZZZZZZ's thread
      Now: 2007 vRgt, red & gobi - 2005 s60 2.5t AWD, silver & tan - 2002 xc70, silver & black
      Past: 1999 v70, tropic blue/green & oak and Mom started this in 1975 with a 1974 164e, maroon & maroon

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

The SPA platform is probably closer to a 30 year newer design, really. Volvo started designing the P80 platform in the '70s. When did they start working onSPA?

Quote Originally Posted by ZZZZZZZ View Post
      That is an excellent question, and I hope you answer truthfully. I'd love to bring one back sometime. There are some on here lately that have been dirt cheap by comparison to what they were just two or three years ago, but they scare me if I'm going to be in elbows deep with expenses. I do plan on trying to do some myself, but still.
      Here is a summary of what I have in it. Unfortunately, I had to pay for a lot of the work, as I am not a mechanic.

Car Cost: $1500 Purchase with 205K miles.

California Car for half of its life.
      Included this service record with Euro Spec synthetic at every at every 10K miles.

Drive Belts Replace
      Camshaft Seals Replaced
      Front Crankshaft Oil Seal Replaced
      Intake Manifold Gasket Replaced
      Crankcase Vent Hose
      Fuel Injectiom Rail Seals Replaced
      Timing Belt Replaced
      Timing Belt Tensioner Checked
      Multi Rib Belt
      Oil Trap
      Fuel Injector O Ring
      Expansion Tank and Cap
      Remove and Replace Fnt Sway Bar Link Kit
      ATE Premium Front Brake Rotors
      Brake Fluid Flushed
      Fuel Door Catch
      Fuel Door Lock Actuator

Rear Strut Replacement Cartridges
      Front Strut Assembly - Bilstein Touring Class
      Strut Mount Bushings, Bellow
      Strut mounts Replaced
      Coolant System Flush and Change
      Brake Fluid Flush
      Remove and Replace Oil Sender Switch
      Camshaft Oil Seal

Brake Fluid Flush
      Remove and Replace Oil Sender Switch
      Coolant System Flush and Change
      Thermostat Replaced
      Coolant Temperature Sensor Replaced
      Balance and Rotate Tires
      4 Wheel Alignment

Door Latch Repair RF and LR
      Drivers Side Mirror Repalcement
      Intake Manifold Gasket
      Throttle Body Gasket
      Wheel Alignment
      Replace RF Wheel Bearing (Hub Assy)
      Balance and Rotate Tires
      AC Refrigerant Charged
      AC System Serviced
      Replace Breather Hose
      Camshaft Solenoid Gasket

Brake Fluid Flush
      Front Brake Hoses Replaced
      Iridium Spark Plugs (IK20)
      Spark Plug Wires Replaced
      Wheel Bearing Hubs Replaced
      Ignition System Checked

Here is what I have put in the car:

205K $3000
      Replace both Lower Control Arms and Ball Joints
      Remove and Replace Drive Shaft
      Remove and Replace Upper Radiator Hose
      Replace Cabin Air Filter
      Replace Engine Air Filter

Perform Alignment
      Remove and Replace Cracked Expansion Tank
      Power Wash Engine

Install and Balance Extreme Contact DWS Tires $500

Dent Removal $300
      Misc Improvements, new Key Fob $1500

Remove and Detail Rear Seat
      Replace front Light Lens with C70 Clear Lens
      Replace front Fog Lights (IPD)
      Floor Mats and Door Lamps
      Repair Drivers Door Lock; Door Handle Spring, Key FOB, New Key, Prog
      Replace Rear Hatch Window Trim
      Weathertech Rear Mat
      RR Front Driver Seat Heater
      Misc Parts, Polish and Detail Supplies

Repaint Front and Rear Bumpers $1000
      Reskin Alcantera Seats $800
      Kenwood Carplay Receiver with Backup Camera $600
      (kept Dynaudio Speakers and Volvo R amp)

Easton Catalytic Converter $1000
      Replace Power Steering Pump $1500
      Flush Power Steering Fluid
      Transmission Fluid Flush
      Replace Instrument Cluster Bulbs IPD Kit
      Upgrade PVC Banjo Bolt
      Repair Minor EVAP leak
      Replace Hood Latch Release Cable
      Other maintenance

Total In Car Purchase Price $1500
      Maintenance and Upgrades $10,200

No plans to sell. Just drive and enjoy.
      Last edited by Fmfosnacht; 01-20-2017 at 09:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JaredR View Post
      The SPA platform is probably closer to a 30 year newer design, really. Volvo started designing the P80 platform in the '70s. When did they start working onSPA?
      Probably mid-80's for the P80. The car was released in 1991 as a 1992 model year car. I would be surprised if it was I have no actual knowledge. I don't know when design work started on the SPA gen cars.
      Past Volvos: '94 854, '99 S70 T5 SE, '99 S70 GLT, '04 S60RM, '12 S60 T5, '13 S60 T5, '15 S60 RD
      Present Garage: '16 MX5 Club, '95 854 T-5R, '05 V70RGT, '15.5 XC60 T6, '16 V60 P*

Probably mid-80's for the P80. The car was released in 1991 as a 1992 model year car. I would be surprised if it was I have no actual knowledge. I don't know when design work started on the SPA gen cars.
      The P80 and the 4 series both came out of Project Galaxy.
      http://www.volvotips.com/index.php/8...ory-volvo-850/

You paid 1,000 to get a stock equivalent downpipe installed?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      06 Sonic/Nordkap MT SR with 18" Anthracite Pegs |63K Miles

00 Laser/Charcoal 2 Tone AT VR 16" Anthracite Satellites/ 17" Pegs |201K Miles

99 S70 N/A

Venetian Red 2000 V70R AWD Being Brought Back!

No. Decided to do a full cat replacement. I figured for my own benefit, and to be 50 state legal, for resale, since I can, I would try to do the restore right.

2000 Venetian Red V70R
      Last edited by Fmfosnacht; 01-20-2017 at 09:18 PM.

No. Decided to do a full cat replacement. I figured for my own benefit, and to be 50 state legal, for resale, since I can, I would try to do the restore right.
      Well, when you're ready to sell, let me know.
      2004 Volvo V70R MT TiGray/Nordkap - Replica 18" Pegs - Handbrake Mod
      2006 Volvo S60R GT TiGray/Gobi - '06-'07 Transmission Valve Body Info
      2007 Volvo XC90 V8 Sport Passion Red/Off-Black - Serpentine Belt, Tensioner & Idler Pulleys - Spark Plug Replacement
      VIDA/DICE Owner - SS Lurker Since 2009

That's pretty hefty, but damn- look at what you did!! You can't buy a nicer new car that is as solid or unique for that. Great job. You did it in a short timeframe too.
      I saw a guy on the way to a meeting yesterday. Black guy with longish hair, v70r from this era, silver and maybe off black. It had big pegs on it, maybe 18 inch. Ss sticker and all but was a little beat up. He was on his cell (illegal in MD). I pulled up along side going about 75 and gave him the thumbs up and he didn't seem to notice me. Or maybe he was too engrossed in his call. Anyway - first time other than an organized event that I've seen something while in my vr that was ss related that I have noticed, and I look at a LOT of cars. I jumped on by and left him behind.

2000 Venetian Red V70R
      Last edited by ZZZZZZZ; 01-20-2017 at 10:11 PM.
      Now: 2007 vRgt, red & gobi - 2005 s60 2.5t AWD, silver & tan - 2002 xc70, silver & black
      Past: 1999 v70, tropic blue/green & oak and Mom started this in 1975 with a 1974 164e, maroon & maroon

Quote Originally Posted by R-Pow3R3d View Post
      Well, when you're ready to sell, let me know.
      Hahaha. Thanks! I need to drive it a bit before I take the loss!

FYI, I like this car as it is perfect for my GSD dogs. Easy to clean, low to the ground for their entry and exit, lots of room! Hopefully, I can put a few trouble free miles on the odometer.....

2000 Venetian Red V70R

Quote Originally Posted by ZZZZZZZ View Post
      That's pretty hefty, but damn- look at what you did!! You can't buy a nicer new car that is as solid or unique for that. Great job. You did it in a short timeframe too.
      Well, each upgrade is a tough call. Since the car is new to me, I still am gaining confidence that I won't have a major fail. Turbo? Angle gear? Transmission? Each could be catastrophic. But for how I drive, I think this has a very long life ahead.

I used to have a Porsche that you could "drive like you hated it". This one, I #drivecarefully!

2000 Venetian Red V70R
      Last edited by Fmfosnacht; 01-21-2017 at 01:11 PM.

FYI, I like this car as it is perfect for my GSD dogs. Easy to clean, low to the ground for their entry and exit, lots of room! Hopefully, I can put a few trouble free miles on the odometer.....
      I've definitely found that to be true. I let our dogs in my V70R a few times before getting the XC90 and the wagon was SO MUCH EASIER for them to get into. One of them is very athletic, so he just launches himself up into the back of the XC90 with no problem. The other I have to lift into and out of the car. They could both hop into the VR without an issue.

Hopefully you can start racking up miles and enjoying the car!
      2004 Volvo V70R MT TiGray/Nordkap - Replica 18" Pegs - Handbrake Mod
      2006 Volvo S60R GT TiGray/Gobi - '06-'07 Transmission Valve Body Info
      2007 Volvo XC90 V8 Sport Passion Red/Off-Black - Serpentine Belt, Tensioner & Idler Pulleys - Spark Plug Replacement
      VIDA/DICE Owner - SS Lurker Since 2009

Quote Originally Posted by JaredR View Post
      The P80 and the 4 series both came out of Project Galaxy.
      http://www.volvotips.com/index.php/8...ory-volvo-850/
      Thanks, didn't know that. Fascinating we as consumers only see the end result of a project that took 13+ years to bring to fruition. Wonder if that's still the typical timeline. I can't imagine that work started on the SPA platform under Ford's ownership but maybe it did - I don't really know. The 850 was really ground breaking in it's day, launching Volvo into modern times and pretty much saved the company.

You do have a sort of a "one of a kind" car now and one that's a lot cooler than any other $11-12k car out there. Congrats - it really looks nice!

#drivecarefully is right!
      Agree 111 percent if not more with Wayne. Post some videos!
      You do have a sort of a "one of a kind" car now and one that's a lot cooler than any other $11-12k car out there. Congrats - it really looks nice!

The best mod I have made to the car. A new drivers seat pad. The Volvo seat firmness is back!

2000 Venetian Red V70R

The best mod I have made to the car. A new drivers seat pad. The Volvo seat firmness is back!
      Whoa, I thought these were NLA. I might have to get a set for my T-5R.....as comfy as the R seats I have in there now are, it would be cool to have the original skins back in there (they're in surprisingly good shape for 275k) and this would make them acceptably comfortable again.....

Wow, I also thought you couldn't get them anymore. IIRC Chris@Swedespeed replaced the seat foam on his project T5 but that was several years ago now at this point.

JaredR I would also have thought the seat foam for the T-5R would also be NLA but who knows, all I know is that it won't be inexpensive. When I reupholstered my T-5R seat last winter I used a few different types of foam to augment the old seat foam and it came out good - certainly not as good as new seat foam but much better than it was.

By looking up the part number, they're some out there that range from$179-$233. Nice addition

Nice! You didn't wax the frame while it was all apart?!?
      Kidding!
      2000 Venetian Red V70R

This one, I #drivecarefully!
      Car is coming along nicely! Ever thought about insuring it through someone like Hagerty? Would be a shame to sink all that money into it and only get actual cash value.
      2010 S80 T6 Silver/Anthracite, Odysseus, Dynaudio, Climate, BLIS, PCC, PA 80k
      2004 S80 2.5T Pearl White/Sand, Chrome Tucana, Dynaudio 128k
      2005 S40 T5 Passion Red/Quartz, Serapis, Dynamic Package 77k
      Previous: 2005 S60 T5, 1998 V70 T5, 1996 854 Platinum

That is an excellent point. Smart people on here.
      Quote Originally Posted by beachnut View Post
      Car is coming along nicely! Ever thought about insuring it through someone like Hagerty? Would be a shame to sink all that money into it and only get actual cash value.

True, not with Hagerty and 2000 and newer must have a minimum value of $7,500. Needs to be limited or Special Edition models too.

Other Insurers may provide one but limited use is usually a requirement.
      Looking to a add a 1999, 2000 R or T5 wagon, or 2004+ V70. Venetian or Olive is a plus.
      Regards, Lance

Check out SafeCo Ins classic car policies.

Grundy MVP can help also.
      Last edited by Classic442; 02-03-2017 at 10:16 AM.
      Looking to a add a 1999, 2000 R or T5 wagon, or 2004+ V70. Venetian or Olive is a plus.
      Regards, Lance

Quote Originally Posted by Classic442 View Post
      True, not with Hagerty and 2000 and newer must have a minimum value of $7,500. Needs to be limited or Special Edition models too.

Other Insurers may provide one but limited use is usually a requirement.
      the R is definitely a special edition. Might be a tough sell convincing them that it's worth $7½k, but it's close with all you've done to it. That's probably about what it's worth in the PacNW, or maybe a touch more.

I need to check into this. Thanks for these leads.

2000 Venetian Red V70R

FYI, the 2000 V70R seat pad is NLA. This part was recommended b,y my dealer as being compatible. It works well, but for a perfect fit, I recommend adding about 1/4 inch high density foam on the top of the side bolsters. The rest of the fit is great.

2000 Venetian Red V70R

Installed the IPD tailgate fix today to tighten up the back panel. No more rattles. An all time Best Buy upgrade.

2000 Venetian Red V70R
      Last edited by Fmfosnacht; 02-20-2017 at 05:06 PM.

Looking good! That looks like the correct use for a Volvo estate. How do you keep the dog from scratching up the bumper?

It's been about a month since the bumpers were painted, so I used this weekend to apply 3m film. #epicfail. Whatever the special technique is for sizing, applying and removing bubbles, I have not yet mastered it. Looks like I may need to call a guy who knows how to do it right. By the time I was done, I was glad I still had paint on my bumpers! ;-

One of the best features of this car is the low access. It is an easy hop in and out, compare to most SUV's for the dog. Very easy on the dogs limbs, which is important to me. It's a great K9cr8t. Hopefully new 3m film gets put on before scratches appear.

2000 Venetian Red V70R
      Last edited by Fmfosnacht; 02-20-2017 at 10:26 PM.

Use the Lil cover that flips out from the spare tire well

06 Sonic/Nordkap MT SR with 18" Anthracite Pegs |63K Miles

00 Laser/Charcoal 2 Tone AT VR 16" Anthracite Satellites/ 17" Pegs |201K Miles

99 S70 N/A

The pros apply 3M film to the bumper. Looks fantastic.

2000 Venetian Red V70R

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast