S60/V70 R BREMBO Brake SWAP :: HOW TO - Page 3
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
      I'm not sure yet, what brand paint did you use? I just ordered some sleeves off eBay and I just received my eBay 108x108 25mm spacers. I might let my wife decide the color......
      1991 Nissan Skyline R32 GTR
      1999 Lexus GS300
      2005 Volvo XC90 V8 Executive
      2012 Cadillac Escalade Premium

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Intriguing! However, this mod might not make much of a difference on a '13 R Design because I think the front rotors are 336mm in diameter. Not sure about the rears (have not checked them).

The up-side is the increased pad area and 4-pot calipers. Oh and the R calipers look completely off the hook!

Quote Originally Posted by NickC View Post
      Intriguing! However, this mod might not make much of a difference on a '13 R Design because I think the front rotors are 336mm in diameter. Not sure about the rears (have not checked them).

The up-side is the increased pad area and 4-pot calipers. Oh and the R calipers look completely off the hook!
      All Rs have 336mm rotors, as do the 2007 and 2008 V8 Sports. However, I feel a vast improvement with the R brakes over the stock ones.

The front rotor moves from a 336 to a 330, and the rear from a 305 to a 316 (maybe 315, I'm forgetting at the moment). For a 2013, you'll have 2 piston calipers in the front, I only had one because it is a pre-2010 R-Design. You do have to bend the rear dust covers a LOT to get the new rotors to fit, be prepared to get creative. But they are worth every penny I spent, and now it's just painting them the color I want!

Also, if anyone has a color suggestion, I'm all for it. I don't want red, it'll put too much on the car. I don't want black, it'll blend into the rims. I was possibly thinking Rebel Blue with a black R logo over it. Too brash against the red?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
      2007 XC90 V8 Sport (R-Design), Passion Red, Large Iron Mark Grille, Satin Black Metallic Powder Coated Rims, 2013 Smoked Tail Lights, Lighted Upper Tail Lights, Chrome Executive Inlets, 32" Light Bar, Full Roof Rack w/ 36" Tri-Row Bar, 20" Light Bar, 4 7" Side Light Bars, 2 6" Back Up Light Bars, Full Sized Shovel, Full Sized Axe, Hi-Lift. S60R Brembo Brakes Front+Rear, 25mm Spacers, EBC Rotors+Pads.

Quote Originally Posted by oneofakind View Post
      Also, if anyone has a color suggestion, I'm all for it. I don't want red, it'll put too much on the car. I don't want black, it'll blend into the rims. I was possibly thinking Rebel Blue with a black R logo over it. Too brash against the red?
      Red will be too much but REBEL BLUE would be reasonable?! LOL Come on...

But seriously, if you're not doing stock gray, black or color-match Passion Red, I just don't think it will work. That's just my $0.02, though. You could buy that set of crazy green ones that Gage has for sale. They'd go with your zombie light switch.

Just buy this and be happy. lol
      http://www.g2usa.com/product/CBCP-612.html
      Last edited by R-Pow3R3d; 03-01-2017 at 11:41 PM.
      2004 Volvo V70R MT TiGray/Nordkap - Replica 18" Pegs - Handbrake Mod
      2006 Volvo S60R GT TiGray/Gobi - '06-'07 Transmission Valve Body Info
      2007 Volvo XC90 V8 Sport Passion Red/Off-Black - Serpentine Belt, Tensioner & Idler Pulleys - Spark Plug Replacement
      VIDA/DICE Owner - SS Lurker Since 2009

Quote Originally Posted by R-Pow3R3d View Post
      Red will be too much but REBEL BLUE would be reasonable?! LOL Come on...
      Haha I wasn't thinking too bright, I was thinking too much red on the car, more of an overload of one color.

2007 XC90 V8 Sport (R-Design), Passion Red, Large Iron Mark Grille, Satin Black Metallic Powder Coated Rims, 2013 Smoked Tail Lights, Lighted Upper Tail Lights, Chrome Executive Inlets, 32" Light Bar, Full Roof Rack w/ 36" Tri-Row Bar, 20" Light Bar, 4 7" Side Light Bars, 2 6" Back Up Light Bars, Full Sized Shovel, Full Sized Axe, Hi-Lift. S60R Brembo Brakes Front+Rear, 25mm Spacers, EBC Rotors+Pads.

OEM XC90.
      FR: 336mm Rotors
      RR: 305mm Rotors

S60/V70 R Brakes
      FR: 330mm Rotors
      RR: 330mm Rotors

I was doing the math of the area of the pistons and the R brakes seem to be around 50% larger in surface area on top of the bigger pad so no wonder you increase breaking with those.

Also mind you the Master Cylinder is the same between the R and the XC90...
      Last edited by V50R; 03-02-2017 at 06:38 AM.
      2006 V50 T5 AWD AW55, 320mm FR Brake upgrade, Elevate Intake, OBX Exhaust.
      2010 XC90 V8 Executive Latest Addition.
      2008 XC90 V8 Executive Edition, w/Muffler Delete.
      2005 XC90 V8 Black, VB replaced, S60R Brake Swaped
      2013 Jetta Sportwagen TDI 6spd. Malone S2 tuned 200hp/350tq.

S60/V70 R BREMBO Brake SWAP :: HOW TO

Haha I wasn't thinking too bright, I was thinking too much red on the car, more of an overload of one color.

I think it's all depends on the color of the car. I think the Yellow looks great on black but probably not on any other car.
      Silver car maybe Red calipers or blue.
      Red car either red or black maybe even gold?

S60R rotors have some crazy vents!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Last edited by V50R; 03-02-2017 at 06:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by V50R View Post
      I think it's all depends on the color of the car. I think the Yellow looks great on black but probably not on any other car.
      Silver car maybe Red calipers or blue.
      Red car either red or black maybe even gold?
      I hadn't thought about gold! I think that would work nicely!

I hadn't thought about gold! I think that would work nicely!

Well much like a GTR... would look pretty neat i think.

Ok, I could totally get on board with gold, that looks pretty cool.
      2004 Volvo V70R MT TiGray/Nordkap - Replica 18" Pegs - Handbrake Mod
      2006 Volvo S60R GT TiGray/Gobi - '06-'07 Transmission Valve Body Info
      2007 Volvo XC90 V8 Sport Passion Red/Off-Black - Serpentine Belt, Tensioner & Idler Pulleys - Spark Plug Replacement
      VIDA/DICE Owner - SS Lurker Since 2009

The spacers came the other day but the factory lug bolts won't work with the wheels sitting flush on the spacers so I had to find smaller factory style lug bolts with shorter heads so the wheel will sit flush with the spacer.

I found Gorilla M14x1.5 spline lug bolts work perfectly. They sit 1.5mm out of the spacer with works perfect with the indents between the lug holes on the backside of the wheel. Now they don't have the bore lip but that is only to make lining up the wheel correctly more easy. Because it doesn't have the lips you have to hand tighten all the lug bolts in a star pattern before you crank them down. This ensures the wheel is center on the hub with the bolts.

Anyhow here is a couple pics with them on.

Also, my wife made a comment about the color and almost anything goes with silver and she really likes the gold so I might be heading down that route.
      1999 Lexus GS300

So these are the s60R Powerstop rotors and pads from Rockauto.com and boy I'm telling you they will stop our trucks on a dime! ...... BUT .... this combo is louder than #(*&#. How do I get these to quiet down? I put the grease on the metal backsides of the pads where they touch the pistons and the edge guides where the touch the calipers. I broke them in like normal... 5 good hard brakes from 40mph down to 10mph then 35 down to 10 then drive not using them to let them cool down.

I'm baffled as to why they sound like the stoppers are touching the rotors. They are not, just if anyone's questioning it. They sound like my Project Mu pads and rotors I had on my old GTR, but even those were not this loud. I'll try some brake cleaner on the rotors just in case but other than that I'm out of ideas on how to quiet them down.
      1999 Lexus GS300

Quote Originally Posted by ericherm1 View Post
      So these are the s60R Powerstop rotors and pads from Rockauto.com and boy I'm telling you they will stop our trucks on a dime! ...... BUT .... this combo is louder than #(*&#. How do I get these to quiet down? I put the grease on the metal backsides of the pads where they touch the pistons and the edge guides where the touch the calipers. I broke them in like normal... 5 good hard brakes from 40mph down to 10mph then 35 down to 10 then drive not using them to let them cool down.

I'm baffled as to why they sound like the stoppers are touching the rotors. They are not, just if anyone's questioning it. They sound like my Project Mu pads and rotors I had on my old GTR, but even those were not this loud. I'll try some brake cleaner on the rotors just in case but other than that I'm out of ideas on how to quiet them down.
      Slotted rotors are surely known for not being smooth and loud especially under heavy breaking.

I experianced the same issue when i went to VW Golf R32 brakes with slotted rotors all around on my TDI.

So i expected the same performance out of the slotted rotors on the XC90. They are smooth when used lightly but once you hammer on them especially at highway speeds you feel a grinding type of noise on the brake pedal. Mine even squeal in the morning. You can always try the non slotted rotors and see if that helps!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Last edited by V50R; 03-07-2017 at 06:37 AM.

They are quieting down some, but I'm still going to pull them apart and cake on some red brake quiet where the calipers touch the pads. I also noticed the right front rotor is not even. If you check out the pic you can see looking down on the rotor you can see the right side is thicker than the left side of the slot. I'm thinking this is causing my slight wobble at around 80mph. I'm about to hit 80k miles and 12yrs old so I went ahead and ordered the IPD front end links, front ball joints, and new upper pillow mounts. This will at least remove the more commonly failed parts from potential causes. Next step is to contact RockAuto for a replacement rotor then I'll have the wheels balanced again and 4 wheel alignment done. Oh yeah, almost forgot I can't even start this work until I get the 14mm/12mm sleeves I ordered from China. I just want to be absolutely safe since when my son graduates from high school this year I'm contemplating giving him this truck for a graduation gift.
      1999 Lexus GS300

I just purchased my R Brembo brakes for $465 and now I will gather up the rest of the parts needed. I plan on putting them on the red XC90 and I may paint them red or leave them grey with the R logo.
      2005 Volvo V70R Blk Nordkap, 3 Pedal Set-up, Evolve hood grill, EST downpipe, KN filter window in box, LED Interior, FMIC
      2007 Volvo XC90 Red V8 R-design Drilled and Slotted Rotors, LED interior
      1990 Volvo 240 Blue 3 Pedal Set-up, Future Project Car
      2013 Volvo C30 Blue 3 Pedal Set-up Polestar 250/250

17. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3