S60/V70 R BREMBO Brake SWAP :: HOW TO - Page 2
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
      Definitely looks good. If I find a spare set for the XC maybe I'll try painting them.
      2004 Volvo V70R MT TiGray/Nordkap - Replica 18" Pegs - Handbrake Mod
      2006 Volvo S60R GT TiGray/Gobi - '06-'07 Transmission Valve Body Info
      2007 Volvo XC90 V8 Sport Passion Red/Off-Black - Serpentine Belt, Tensioner & Idler Pulleys - Spark Plug Replacement
      VIDA/DICE Owner - SS Lurker Since 2009

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Front and rears finally painted, now got to get some R decals.

Fronts

Rears

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      SOLD:: 2006 V50 T5 AWD AW55, 320mm FR Brake upgrade, Elevate Intake, OBX Exhaust.
      2010 XC90 V8 Executive Latest Addition.
      2008 XC90 V8 Executive Edition, w/Muffler Delete.
      2005 XC90 V8 Black, VB replaced, S60R Brake Swaped
      2013 Jetta Sportwagen TDI 6spd. Malone S2 tuned 200hp/350tq.

Quote Originally Posted by V50R View Post
      Front and rears finally painted, now got to get some R decals.
      https://sweetgfx.com/product/caliper-r/
      2007 Volvo XC90 V8 Sport Passion Red/Off-Black - Serpentine Belt, Tensioner & Idler Pulleys - Spark Plug Replacement

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

have you had a chance to drive in heavy rain? Any issues with the braking? I remember when my R was on the road that in times of decent to heavy rain, I had to pump the brakes to make sure they caught before actually needing to use them. I haven't had to do that with the stock XC brakes.

Quote Originally Posted by mugen910 View Post
      have you had a chance to drive in heavy rain? Any issues with the braking? I remember when my R was on the road that in times of decent to heavy rain, I had to pump the brakes to make sure they caught before actually needing to use them. I haven't had to do that with the stock XC brakes.
      Really?! That sounds bad. I've never had that in either R.

Quote Originally Posted by mugen910 View Post
      My stock brakes do it badly. Slush is the worst, I clear my brakes every 3 miles or so, otherwise my brakes won't kick in for 2 or 3 seconds.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
      2007 XC90 V8 Sport (R-Design), Passion Red, Large Iron Mark Grille, Satin Black Metallic Powder Coated Rims, 2013 Smoked Tail Lights, Lighted Upper Tail Lights, Chrome Executive Inlets, 32" Light Bar, Full Roof Rack w/ 36" Tri-Row Bar, 20" Light Bar, 4 7" Side Light Bars, 2 6" Back Up Light Bars, Full Sized Shovel, Full Sized Axe, Hi-Lift. S60R Brembo Brakes Front+Rear, 25mm Spacers, EBC Rotors+Pads.

Drove in heavy rain no issue but the fronts are slotted so that probably helps but I know what you mean the rotors are wet so it takes a second or two before the pad can scrub that off.

SOLD:: 2006 V50 T5 AWD AW55, 320mm FR Brake upgrade, Elevate Intake, OBX Exhaust.

Drove in heavy rain no issue but the fronts are slotted so that probably helps but I know what you mean the rotors are wet so it takes a second or two before the pad can scrub that off.

I PM'd you about the calipers you pulled off during this swap. Could you measure the piston diameters for me? Thanks!
      2006 xc90 2.5t - 115kmi - Hilton Tune - R Design Supension : Family Wagon
      2009 v50 2.4i 75kmi - Bone Stock : Wifemobile
      2011 c30 RD : Moms
      2012 s60 t5 : Pops

Quote Originally Posted by R-Pow3R3d View Post
      Anyone know if 19" Vulcanis will clear R calipers without spacers?
      I can tell you in the next couple of weeks. I plan on doing this swap (have the calipers) and am currently running Vulcanis. I will do a test fit, but it will probably be 6 months before I really get all the parts and the time together LOL...
      Last edited by audeo03; 11-10-2016 at 09:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by audeo03 View Post
      I can tell you next week. I plan on doing this swap and am currently running Vulcanis. I will do a test fit as it will probably be 6 months before I really get all the parts and the time together LOL...
      If you don't want to do an entire test fit, you can use this spacing template he provided:
      https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B7R6...lXekozNXc/view

Can't wait to find out if they fit!

If you don't want to do an entire test fit, you can use this spacing template he provided:
      https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B7R6...lXekozNXc/view

Can't wait to find out if they fit!
      I am going to just bite the bullet and buy pads and rotors. Then when I'm swapping to the r-design struts in the next week or two, I can just lay the front and rear rotor/caliper/pad combo onto one of the wheels when I take them off.

Bought some cheap Brembo decals to finish up the swap. Some day I want to get R decals but for now these will do!

V50R: How does the brake balance feel? This swap moves the XC90's brake balance more towards the rear. Can you tell that there is less front end dive? Have you locked up the rears?

From just running the basic calculation, the actual braking force appears to be a little less for the R setup versus the stock calipers (~ .90/.98 ((R/XC90) @ F/R)). This takes into account the rotor sizes, total piston areas, and the slight difference in pad width (in radial direction).

BUT, it may require less brake fluid to generate the same force at the caliper (so that the pedal feels firmer), the pads have more uniform pressure on the disc, the brakes are better at dissipating heat, and they reduce the un-sprung mass (better vehicle dynamics).

I plan on doing this swap sometime soon (hopefully), but first doing measurements of braking distances and rotor and caliper temperatures using a fluke IR gun, and then after the swap and proper brake bed-in time... I will keep pad selection constant (Akebono ceramic).
      Last edited by audeo03; 11-15-2016 at 07:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by audeo03 View Post
      V50R: How does the brake balance feel? This swap moves the XC90's brake balance more towards the rear. Can you tell that there is less front end dive? Have you locked up the rears?

From just running the basic calculation, the actual braking force appears to be a little less for the R setup versus the stock calipers (~ .90/.98 ((R/XC90) @ F/R)). This takes into account the rotor sizes, total piston areas, and the slight difference in pad width (in radial direction).

BUT, it may require less brake fluid to generate the same force at the caliper (so that the pedal feels firmer), the pads have more uniform pressure on the disc, the brakes are better at dissipating heat, and they reduce the un-sprung mass (better vehicle dynamics). This then probably raises the effective braking force to be on par or greater in the front versus stock, and definitely greater in the rear versus stock.

I plan on doing this swap sometime soon (hopefully), but first doing measurements of braking distances and rotor and caliper temperatures using a fluke IR gun, and then after the swap and proper brake bed-in time... I will keep pad selection constant (Akebono ceramic).
      This is some great Info right there.
      I know math may say that the swap is highly unnecessary but I've owned 7-8cars in my life and I've upgraded every single one with OEM parts bin stuff usually bigger rotors etc.

I can tell you one thing the XC90 never really had that firm pedal with lots of control over the amount of brakes you apply they just weren't linear and the pedal always felt very soft with way too much travel. Both my XC90 V8s are exactly the same one is 05, the other 08 different wheels etc same brake feel.

Wth the S60-R brakes I like how the pedal is very firm, it reacts very quickly maybe 1/4" travel before you get solid brake feel and from there it's very easy to control hard breaking because it doesn't take any movement to modulate the pressure, feels a lot like my R32 brakes on the Golf.

This right there makes all the difference in the world to me not to mention the budget upgrade in my book this is something I will do to every other XC I own from here on.

Over the weekend I had to come to sudden stop a few times and I continue to amaze myself of how well they work, to be honest I have to worrry about the guy behind me more than myself.

Excellent! My initial calcs are from dimensions found online (and from you). I will edit this once I have all parts in hand and obtain some empirical data.

I have calipers and am ordering rotors and pads today. Do you need to remove the rear hub to change to a S60R splash guard? Also, the stock XC90 brake hoses work with the R calipers? I want to order stainless lines, but might wait until after the swap. That way the second bleed can also take care of the ABS section as well...

BTW, bigger rotors always help with total braking torque, but here the front rotor is the same size...

So as far as the lines I used the OEM XC fronts and rear left. Rear right my hose was twisted 180 and i couldnt get it to align so i ended up swapping it with the S60R one since it was a tad bit short and i was getting a bit of a stretch at full suspension droop.
      Now this could have been resolved by loosening the hose and twisting it 90deg but i ended up damaging it and so i decided to replace it with one of the longer ones i had in hand.

If you go stainless steel ones deff go with XC90 ones since they are longer due to increased suspension travel.

on the fronts during full suspension droop and tire turned all the way out the hose does stretch but not to a point where it will snap it just takes all the slack out of it. I thought it would be ok since I never reach that condition where the tire is turned to max and the wheel is fully extended.

I sent you a message about sizing. Thanks!

2007 XC90 V8 Sport (R-Design), Passion Red, Large Iron Mark Grille, Satin Black Metallic Powder Coated Rims, 2013 Smoked Tail Lights, Lighted Upper Tail Lights, Chrome Executive Inlets, 32" Light Bar, Full Roof Rack w/ 36" Tri-Row Bar, 20" Light Bar, 4 7" Side Light Bars, 2 6" Back Up Light Bars, Full Sized Shovel, Full Sized Axe, Hi-Lift. S60R Brembo Brakes Front+Rear, 25mm Spacers, EBC Rotors+Pads.

Well, pulled the trigger on the rears. Waiting for an eBay seller to get back to me on the fronts. Paying steeper than I'd like to, but I got told I have 1 mm left on my rear pads, and I'm not buying pads just to replace them. Getting drilled/slotted rotors front and rear because I tow a lot and drive in snow constantly. Nothing fancy though, not high carbon this time. Now to the hardware store for bolts!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/262699788740?ul_noapp=true

For anyone interested in upgrading just the front calipers, here is a cheaper set.

I had to do an emergency braking this morning and i was shocked of how quickly the XC came to a complete stop, it does nose dive but no different than before.
      I just bought these... he took $200 for them. Not too bad. It's coming together!

Edit: That brass sleeve, could you take a picture of where it goes please? That's the one part I'm not sure about. And where you got it too?

Last edited by oneofakind; 11-21-2016 at 10:25 PM.

Ok, well looking at rotors and pads, and I stumbled across these. Anyone have experience with the company EBC? They have pads and rotors for all 4 corners for just under $600. Not a great price, but they're performance (hopefully). I'm going to wait till Friday to order anything (Black Friday!), and hopefully I'll get a better deal ($500).

Quote Originally Posted by oneofakind View Post
      Ok, well looking at rotors and pads, and I stumbled across these. Anyone have experience with the company EBC? They have pads and rotors for all 4 corners for just under $600. Not a great price, but they're performance (hopefully). I'm going to wait till Friday to order anything (Black Friday!), and hopefully I'll get a better deal ($500).
      You could get Brembo rotors for $278:
      http://www.new-part.com/product/volv...ake-rotors-kit

And Akebono pads for $120:
      https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00199FXQM/
      https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008721AQQ/

Those will be plenty.

Awesome, thank you! You guys save my bacon a lot!

EBC brakes are big in the motorcycle world. They make good stuff. The above deal looks way better though!
      2006 XC90 V8 in Black with Navigation, RSE, Third Row, Curt Tow Hitch (the Work-In-Progress and Daily Driver)

2004 XC70 in White, Tow Hitch (The Cream Puff and Wife's Daily Driver)

Cool

I just received my calipers for this swap and can't wait to execute but I have a question about the rotors. I see the sites and prices and stuff but the question about bore size was not talked about. The factory hub bore size on our XC's is 67.1mm and the S60/V70's are 65.1mm. Is this a factor when ordering the rotors? Or did you guys swap out your old hubs for the 2014 XC90 63.4mm hubs? Need to know before I purchase rotors in a couple weeks. Wife gave me the go ahead to get the calipers now I have to wait.... one thing at a time right..
      1991 Nissan Skyline R32 GTR
      1999 Lexus GS300
      2005 Volvo XC90 V8 Executive
      2012 Cadillac Escalade Premium

Quote Originally Posted by ericherm1 View Post
      I just received my calipers for this swap and can't wait to execute but I have a question about the rotors. I see the sites and prices and stuff but the question about bore size was not talked about. The factory hub bore size on our XC's is 67.1mm and the S60/V70's are 65.1mm. Is this a factor when ordering the rotors? Or did you guys swap out your old hubs for the 2014 XC90 63.4mm hubs? Need to know before I purchase rotors in a couple weeks. Wife gave me the go ahead to get the calipers now I have to wait.... one thing at a time right..
      They use the same hubs so the S60R rotor is 67.1 at the rotor interface and tapers down to 65 after for the wheel spot. The rotors are a direct swap so get the S60R rotors and you will be good!

They use the same hubs so the S60R rotor is 67.1 at the rotor interface and tapers down to 65 after for the wheel spot. The rotors are a direct swap so get the S60R rotors and you will be good!

Awesome, thanks!
      1999 Lexus GS300

So in case you are all wondering what the Brembo brakes can do here is the math.

2010-up Volvo Dual Piston Front Caliper
      44mm (2) 3040mm

2008 Volvo Single Piston Caliper.
      60mm (1) 2827mm

Rear Single Piston Caliper ALL
      44 (1) 1520mm

S60R Front
      42 (2) 2717mm
      38 (2) 2268mm
      TOTAL 4985mm vs 2827mm ~56% increase in surface area.

S60R Rear
      30 (2) 1413mm
      28 (2) 1231mm
      Total 2644mm vs1520mm ~57% increase in surface area.

Mind you the S60R and V70R use the same master cylinder size and P/N.

So with increase in pad surface area and pressure area with the larger caliper you can see why the breaking can increase substantially.

FRONT BRAKE CALIPER PISTON DETAILS:

Leading Piston Size: 42mm (2 of each)
      Trailing Piston Size: 38mm (2 of each)
      REAR BRAKE CALIPER PISTON DETAILS:

Leading Piston Size: 28mm (2 of each)
      Trailing Piston Size: 30mm (2 of each)
      http://www.vivaperformance.com/brake...ons-s60r-v70r/
      Last edited by V50R; 01-23-2017 at 09:11 AM.

So in case you are all wondering what the Brembo brakes can do here is the math.

2010-up Volvo Dual Piston Front Caliper
      44mm (2) 3040mm

2008 Volvo Single Piston Caliper.
      60mm (1) 2827mm

Rear Single Piston Caliper ALL
      44 (1) 1520mm

S60R Front
      42 (2) 2717mm
      38 (2) 2268mm
      TOTAL 4985mm vs 2827mm ~56% increase in surface area.

S60R Rear
      30 (2) 1413mm
      28 (2) 1231mm
      Total 2644mm vs1520mm ~57% increase in surface area.
      So, I think that your math is wrong... It is the total surface area of the pistons in the calculation, irrespective of a fixed or sliding caliper design. I have the ideal clamping force ratios to be 12% greater in the front and 15% greater in the rear for the XC90 than for the S60R:

xc_pis_fr = 60.0
      xc_pis_rr = 44.0
      r_pis_fr1 = 42.0
      r_pis_fr2 = 38.0
      r_pis_rr1 = 28.0
      r_pis_rr2 = 30.0

xc_fsa = 2*!pi*(xc_pis_fr/2)^2
      xc_rsa = 2*!pi*(xc_pis_rr/2)^2
      r_fsa = 2*!pi*(r_pis_fr1/2)^2 + 2*!pi*(r_pis_fr2/2)^2
      r_rsa = 2*!pi*(r_pis_rr1/2)^2 + 2*!pi*(r_pis_rr2/2)^2

print, (xc_fsa)/(r_fsa)
      print, (xc_rsa)/(r_rsa)

% Compiled module: BRAKE_CALCS.
      Last edited by audeo03; 01-24-2017 at 02:15 PM.

Received my rotors and pads from RockAuto Friday and I just finished the rear install but stuck on the fronts for now. I'm trying to find the M12x30 bolts and the 1mm sleeves. Where did you find yours?

Done with the rears, waiting to finish the fronts before I brake them in.

1999 Lexus GS300

Don't worry about the sleeves you can always add them on later!

Don't worry about the sleeves you can always add them on later!

I've had my brakes on for a bit now, no sleeves. I don't feel any difference driving, and if the sleeve I have doesn't fit, I'm just going to leave them out.

Lucky us the clamping force of the m12 bolt is enough to keep the caliper from ever shifting! If torqued correctly!

Done but I need the go with larger spacers. I'm 0.1mm shy on the very bottom edge so now the paint is rubbed off the bottom edge of the front calipers. I'll just go from 10mm spacers to 20mm. That should do the trick. lol.

1999 Lexus GS300

Quote Originally Posted by ericherm1 View Post
      Done but I need the go with larger spacers. I'm 0.1mm shy on the very bottom edge so now the paint is rubbed off the bottom edge of the front calipers. I'll just go from 10mm spacers to 20mm. That should do the trick. lol.

That looks awesome! I'd say go with 15mm if you can find some. Otherwise it's good to know that those brakes and wheels almost work great!

Looks stunning!

Check Ebay i saw spacers that were 15mm and 20mm for the S60R guys. You may have to machine them from 65.1 to 67.1 to fit them on your car though but this will make the stance and wheels sit perfect with the fender flares and the braeks.

Have you thought about color change? Yellow or RED? or even Polestar BLUE?

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast