S60/V70 R BREMBO Brake SWAP :: HOW TO - Page 3
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
      I'm not sure yet, what brand paint did you use? I just ordered some sleeves off eBay and I just received my eBay 108x108 25mm spacers. I might let my wife decide the color......
      1991 Nissan Skyline R32 GTR
      1999 Lexus GS300
      2005 Volvo XC90 V8 Executive
      2012 Cadillac Escalade Premium

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Intriguing! However, this mod might not make much of a difference on a '13 R Design because I think the front rotors are 336mm in diameter. Not sure about the rears (have not checked them).

The up-side is the increased pad area and 4-pot calipers. Oh and the R calipers look completely off the hook!

Quote Originally Posted by NickC View Post
      Intriguing! However, this mod might not make much of a difference on a '13 R Design because I think the front rotors are 336mm in diameter. Not sure about the rears (have not checked them).

The up-side is the increased pad area and 4-pot calipers. Oh and the R calipers look completely off the hook!
      All Rs have 336mm rotors, as do the 2007 and 2008 V8 Sports. However, I feel a vast improvement with the R brakes over the stock ones.

The front rotor moves from a 336 to a 330, and the rear from a 305 to a 316 (maybe 315, I'm forgetting at the moment). For a 2013, you'll have 2 piston calipers in the front, I only had one because it is a pre-2010 R-Design. You do have to bend the rear dust covers a LOT to get the new rotors to fit, be prepared to get creative. But they are worth every penny I spent, and now it's just painting them the color I want!

Also, if anyone has a color suggestion, I'm all for it. I don't want red, it'll put too much on the car. I don't want black, it'll blend into the rims. I was possibly thinking Rebel Blue with a black R logo over it. Too brash against the red?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
      2007 XC90 V8 Sport (R-Design), Passion Red, Large Iron Mark Grille, Satin Black Metallic Powder Coated Rims, 2013 Smoked Tail Lights, Lighted Upper Tail Lights, Chrome Executive Inlets, 32" Light Bar, Full Roof Rack w/ 36" Tri-Row Bar, 20" Light Bar, 4 7" Side Light Bars, 2 6" Back Up Light Bars, Full Sized Shovel, Full Sized Axe, Hi-Lift. S60R Brembo Brakes Front+Rear, 25mm Spacers, EBC Rotors+Pads.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by oneofakind View Post
      Also, if anyone has a color suggestion, I'm all for it. I don't want red, it'll put too much on the car. I don't want black, it'll blend into the rims. I was possibly thinking Rebel Blue with a black R logo over it. Too brash against the red?
      Red will be too much but REBEL BLUE would be reasonable?! LOL Come on...

But seriously, if you're not doing stock gray, black or color-match Passion Red, I just don't think it will work. That's just my $0.02, though. You could buy that set of crazy green ones that Gage has for sale. They'd go with your zombie light switch.

Just buy this and be happy. lol
      http://www.g2usa.com/product/CBCP-612.html
      Last edited by R-Pow3R3d; 03-01-2017 at 11:41 PM.
      2004 Volvo V70R MT TiGray/Nordkap - Replica 18" Pegs - Handbrake Mod
      2006 Volvo S60R GT TiGray/Gobi - '06-'07 Transmission Valve Body Info
      2007 Volvo XC90 V8 Sport Passion Red/Off-Black - Serpentine Belt, Tensioner & Idler Pulleys - Spark Plug Replacement
      VIDA/DICE Owner - SS Lurker Since 2009

Quote Originally Posted by R-Pow3R3d View Post
      Red will be too much but REBEL BLUE would be reasonable?! LOL Come on...
      Haha I wasn't thinking too bright, I was thinking too much red on the car, more of an overload of one color.

2007 XC90 V8 Sport (R-Design), Passion Red, Large Iron Mark Grille, Satin Black Metallic Powder Coated Rims, 2013 Smoked Tail Lights, Lighted Upper Tail Lights, Chrome Executive Inlets, 32" Light Bar, Full Roof Rack w/ 36" Tri-Row Bar, 20" Light Bar, 4 7" Side Light Bars, 2 6" Back Up Light Bars, Full Sized Shovel, Full Sized Axe, Hi-Lift. S60R Brembo Brakes Front+Rear, 25mm Spacers, EBC Rotors+Pads.

OEM XC90.
      FR: 336mm Rotors
      RR: 305mm Rotors

S60/V70 R Brakes
      FR: 330mm Rotors
      RR: 330mm Rotors

I was doing the math of the area of the pistons and the R brakes seem to be around 50% larger in surface area on top of the bigger pad so no wonder you increase breaking with those.

Also mind you the Master Cylinder is the same between the R and the XC90...
      Last edited by V50R; 03-02-2017 at 06:38 AM.
      2006 V50 T5 AWD AW55, 320mm FR Brake upgrade, Elevate Intake, OBX Exhaust.
      2010 XC90 V8 Executive Latest Addition.
      2008 XC90 V8 Executive Edition, w/Muffler Delete.
      2005 XC90 V8 Black, VB replaced, S60R Brake Swaped
      2013 Jetta Sportwagen TDI 6spd. Malone S2 tuned 200hp/350tq.

S60/V70 R BREMBO Brake SWAP :: HOW TO

Haha I wasn't thinking too bright, I was thinking too much red on the car, more of an overload of one color.

I think it's all depends on the color of the car. I think the Yellow looks great on black but probably not on any other car.
      Silver car maybe Red calipers or blue.
      Red car either red or black maybe even gold?

S60R rotors have some crazy vents!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Last edited by V50R; 03-02-2017 at 06:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by V50R View Post
      I think it's all depends on the color of the car. I think the Yellow looks great on black but probably not on any other car.
      Silver car maybe Red calipers or blue.
      Red car either red or black maybe even gold?
      I hadn't thought about gold! I think that would work nicely!

I hadn't thought about gold! I think that would work nicely!

Well much like a GTR... would look pretty neat i think.

Ok, I could totally get on board with gold, that looks pretty cool.
      2007 Volvo XC90 V8 Sport Passion Red/Off-Black - Serpentine Belt, Tensioner & Idler Pulleys - Spark Plug Replacement

The spacers came the other day but the factory lug bolts won't work with the wheels sitting flush on the spacers so I had to find smaller factory style lug bolts with shorter heads so the wheel will sit flush with the spacer.

I found Gorilla M14x1.5 spline lug bolts work perfectly. They sit 1.5mm out of the spacer with works perfect with the indents between the lug holes on the backside of the wheel. Now they don't have the bore lip but that is only to make lining up the wheel correctly more easy. Because it doesn't have the lips you have to hand tighten all the lug bolts in a star pattern before you crank them down. This ensures the wheel is center on the hub with the bolts.

Anyhow here is a couple pics with them on.

Also, my wife made a comment about the color and almost anything goes with silver and she really likes the gold so I might be heading down that route.
      1999 Lexus GS300

So these are the s60R Powerstop rotors and pads from Rockauto.com and boy I'm telling you they will stop our trucks on a dime! ...... BUT .... this combo is louder than #(*&#. How do I get these to quiet down? I put the grease on the metal backsides of the pads where they touch the pistons and the edge guides where the touch the calipers. I broke them in like normal... 5 good hard brakes from 40mph down to 10mph then 35 down to 10 then drive not using them to let them cool down.

I'm baffled as to why they sound like the stoppers are touching the rotors. They are not, just if anyone's questioning it. They sound like my Project Mu pads and rotors I had on my old GTR, but even those were not this loud. I'll try some brake cleaner on the rotors just in case but other than that I'm out of ideas on how to quiet them down.
      1999 Lexus GS300

Quote Originally Posted by ericherm1 View Post
      So these are the s60R Powerstop rotors and pads from Rockauto.com and boy I'm telling you they will stop our trucks on a dime! ...... BUT .... this combo is louder than #(*&#. How do I get these to quiet down? I put the grease on the metal backsides of the pads where they touch the pistons and the edge guides where the touch the calipers. I broke them in like normal... 5 good hard brakes from 40mph down to 10mph then 35 down to 10 then drive not using them to let them cool down.

I'm baffled as to why they sound like the stoppers are touching the rotors. They are not, just if anyone's questioning it. They sound like my Project Mu pads and rotors I had on my old GTR, but even those were not this loud. I'll try some brake cleaner on the rotors just in case but other than that I'm out of ideas on how to quiet them down.
      Slotted rotors are surely known for not being smooth and loud especially under heavy breaking.

I experianced the same issue when i went to VW Golf R32 brakes with slotted rotors all around on my TDI.

So i expected the same performance out of the slotted rotors on the XC90. They are smooth when used lightly but once you hammer on them especially at highway speeds you feel a grinding type of noise on the brake pedal. Mine even squeal in the morning. You can always try the non slotted rotors and see if that helps!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Last edited by V50R; 03-07-2017 at 06:37 AM.

They are quieting down some, but I'm still going to pull them apart and cake on some red brake quiet where the calipers touch the pads. I also noticed the right front rotor is not even. If you check out the pic you can see looking down on the rotor you can see the right side is thicker than the left side of the slot. I'm thinking this is causing my slight wobble at around 80mph. I'm about to hit 80k miles and 12yrs old so I went ahead and ordered the IPD front end links, front ball joints, and new upper pillow mounts. This will at least remove the more commonly failed parts from potential causes. Next step is to contact RockAuto for a replacement rotor then I'll have the wheels balanced again and 4 wheel alignment done. Oh yeah, almost forgot I can't even start this work until I get the 14mm/12mm sleeves I ordered from China. I just want to be absolutely safe since when my son graduates from high school this year I'm contemplating giving him this truck for a graduation gift.
      1999 Lexus GS300

I just purchased my R Brembo brakes for $465 and now I will gather up the rest of the parts needed. I plan on putting them on the red XC90 and I may paint them red or leave them grey with the R logo.
      2005 Volvo V70R Blk Nordkap, 3 Pedal Set-up, Evolve hood grill, EST downpipe, KN filter window in box, LED Interior, FMIC
      2007 Volvo XC90 Red V8 R-design Drilled and Slotted Rotors, LED interior
      1990 Volvo 240 Blue 3 Pedal Set-up, Future Project Car
      2013 Volvo C30 Blue 3 Pedal Set-up Polestar 250/250

Okay Maybe I am being a moron and COMPLETELY over thinking this on the rotors do I get XC90 rotors or do I get S60R rotors. I own a 2008 Volvo XC90 Sports edition. Just seeing if when I purchase the rotors if I grab S60R or XC90 ones. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by guitarrocker98 View Post
      Okay Maybe I am being a moron and COMPLETELY over thinking this on the rotors do I get XC90 rotors or do I get S60R rotors. I own a 2008 Volvo XC90 Sports edition. Just seeing if when I purchase the rotors if I grab S60R or XC90 ones. Thanks.
      Get either S60R or V70R. Same rotor. 330mm front. The XC90 are 336mm front, so the R calipers won't fit.

K sounds good. I will snag a full set of 330 S60R rotors. Though 330 XC 90 rotors are cheaper. Which is dumb lololol

K sounds good. I will snag a full set of 330 S60R rotors. Though 330 XC 90 rotors are cheaper. Which is dumb lololol
      No no no. R rotors are 330

Edit: To clarify, 2006 or 2007 R rotors are 330mm, I don't know about other years (and it doesn't matter for what you're doing).

Last edited by oneofakind; 04-03-2017 at 03:07 PM.

K so again.... Grab S60R/V70R rotors. I am debating on getting slotted since stopping is a little better... We will see on pricing. The calipers had good pads in them I believe. So I dont really need pads. The brakes on the XC90 squeel BAD always but the rotor is good and the pads are good....

YES XC90 is 336mm FR and 308mm RR .
      S60 R is 330mm FR and 330mm RR.

Perfect. I thought so I was just triple checking before I fulfill the order. Now to get brake fluid and install these puppies.

K so again.... Grab S60R/V70R rotors. I am debating on getting slotted since stopping is a little better... We will see on pricing. The calipers had good pads in them I believe. So I dont really need pads. The brakes on the XC90 squeel BAD always but the rotor is good and the pads are good....
      One of the guys here was saying his slotted squeal a bit. Just the smooth ones I'm running are doing just fine, no squeal at all. I'll find the link to the ones I bought, they're priced really well. And I would recommend replacing the pads, that's a good way to wear the new rotors unevenly if they didn't wear right on the last ones. Pads are cheap and easy to replace on the R setup too.

Here ya go. There is an option for front and rear with pads, $360
      https://www.carid.com/2006-volvo-s60...t-4258600.html

Last edited by oneofakind; 04-03-2017 at 03:45 PM.

For anyone looking to pick up a cheaper set and doesn't mind the orange color, these are OBO on the Volvo parts Facebook page. I'm guessing $250 total would take them.

That's tempting. The need for spacers on the Vulcanis has sort of changed my mind about the Brembo swap, though.

For anyone looking to pick up a cheaper set and doesn't mind the orange color, these are OBO on the Volvo parts Facebook page. I'm guessing $250 total would take them.

Just messaged the seller. Wants 400$ for set.

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk

There was an R that had bright orange calipers that sold a short while back. Wonder if these are off of that.

Quote Originally Posted by goonerm3 View Post
      Just messaged the seller. Wants 400$ for set.

Still $400 isn't bad. I paid $450ish for mine and really had to search for a good set. Make them an offer of 325 or so

That's tempting. The need for spacers on the Vulcanis has sort of changed my mind about the Brembo swap, though.
      The S60R can run the Vulcanis without a spacer (according to people here), so I don't really get why the XC can't. Only explanation is that the caliper mounting point to wheel hub mounting point spacing is different (with the same rotor). This has me worried, as the fixed caliper design is intolerant to offsets.

I am in the same boat with using the Vulcanis (my current wheel)...

Can you verify this Rpower?
      2006 xc90 2.5t - 115kmi - Hilton Tune - R Design Supension : Family Wagon
      2009 v50 2.4i 75kmi - Bone Stock : Wifemobile
      2011 c30 RD : Moms
      2012 s60 t5 : Pops

Quote Originally Posted by audeo03 View Post
      The S60R can run the Vulcanis without a spacer (according to people here), so I don't really get why the XC can't. Only explanation is that the caliper mounting point to wheel hub mounting point spacing is different (with the same rotor). This has me worried, as the fixed caliper design is intolerant to offsets.

I am in the same boat with using the Vulcanis (my current wheel)...

Can you verify this Rpower?
      Someone told me the Brembos wouldn't fit with Vulcanis without spacers. I'm having trouble finding the post. Was that someone in this thread that checked and found they didn't fit?

Someone told me the Brembos wouldn't fit with Vulcanis without spacers. I'm having trouble finding the post. Was that someone in this thread that checked and found they didn't fit?
      Yeah, that was me. I don't know if I missed something, but mine surely wouldn't fit without the spacers. I'll give them one more go this weekend, but I'm 99% sure they won't fit. But maybe I missed something and they clear by a hair. And by a hair I mean just that.

Why oh why won't these fit a P3?? :-(

Seems like someone could make a bit of $$ engineering a bracket to bolt up P2R calipers to P3 hubs...
      2014 XC60 T6 - P* Tune, DO88 FMIC, Ferrita DP, TSW Bathurst w/ Conti DWS06, R-Design Suspension, IPD Rear Sway, Custom Exhaust, Morimoto D2S 4.0 HID Projectors, Skeletonized Airbox, Powerflex Bushings, Colder NGK Plugs
      2007 XC90 V8 Sport - IPD Sways/Subframe Inserts/Strut Bar Conversion, Stoptech Rotors
      For Sale: CHEAP! 2007 XC90 V8 Sport Sway Bars / XC60 T6 parts as replaced above

Quote Originally Posted by NorthwestMoose View Post
      Why oh why won't these fit a P3?? :-(

Seems like someone could make a bit of $$ engineering a bracket to bolt up P2R calipers to P3 hubs...
      If you want to PayPal me the $ for the cheapest xc90 and xc60 used hub/spindle combo off eBay (I can identify the parts), I can design and fab (at least quote out) the hardware.

A superior combo is buying the V60 polestar brakes for your XC60. Might be a similar swap as the P2R-->P2XC... It ain't gonna be cheap though.
      Last edited by audeo03; 04-05-2017 at 05:58 AM.
      2006 xc90 2.5t - 115kmi - Hilton Tune - R Design Supension : Family Wagon
      2009 v50 2.4i 75kmi - Bone Stock : Wifemobile
      2011 c30 RD : Moms
      2012 s60 t5 : Pops

Anyone know if the brembos will fit under my s60s 17 inch Sentinel wheels? I have a set lined up and want to pull the trigger ASAP.

Quote Originally Posted by goonerm3 View Post
      Anyone know if the brembos will fit under my s60s 17 inch Sentinel wheels? I have a set lined up and want to pull the trigger ASAP.

I would say yes, but you'll need spacers unless the spokes curve out a lot. I just Googled the rim, and it looks like they don't. But there is a template on here that you can print off and cut out to figure out if they will fit. It looks like V50's 18" rims fit them with just a little room to spare, so 17" will be close.

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast