Brake issue
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Thread: Brake issue

Brake issue

Last weekend I put new front pads and rotors on. I bled them without issue. Today I jacked up the passenger side rear and put new pads on. I bled it with no problem. Then I jacked up the drivers side and installed new pads but it will not pressurized and the piston will not go back out.

After putting it back together, it brakes about the same as before all of my work. I do not believe the drivers side rear caliper has been working. Those pads were twice as thick as the passenger side.

What can cause this? Master cylinder? Suggestions?

The bleeding and attempted bleeding was done with a helper pushing the pedal.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Possible that the piston in the rear caliper is seized...
      2012 C70 T5 A - Polestar Tune, Elevate downpipe, VIVA Performance exhaust, JR filter, GoVo ECU spacer, 19"x8.5" Polestar Rep wheels, H&R spacers, Volvo OEM lip spoiler, Heico front spoiler lips
      2005 V50 T5 M AWD - Passion Red/Graphite T-tec, sport pkg, Volvo body kit
      1998 S70 T5 M - Black/Graphite, 239whp/317wtq on old setup, List of mods

Hmm. Well I screwed it in to accept the new pads. No fluid comes out when you pump the brakes. The only time any came out is when I loosened the bleeder to screw the piston in. The piston will move out slightly by engaging the ebrake.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

There is no fluid going to the caliper. I pulled the line off of the caliper and pushing the pedal does nothing. I then removed the rubber line from the metal brake line that comes out in front of the rear wheel well. Again, pushing the pedal will not cause fluid to come out.

As far as I can tell, there is no actuator valve. However, there is a brake control module (bcm) and abs pump/modulator. Has anyone had issues with these? I do not have a brake or abs light on the dash but something obviously is not working.
      Last edited by rodneygt; 03-17-2017 at 10:32 AM.

I figured it out eventually, tracing the line all the way to the modulator valve block of the abs unit. One of the valves in the abs unit's modulator valve block was stuck. I bought a used abs unit on eBay and swapped the modulator valve part with the one in my abs unit. It has good brakes now.

Maybe this will help someone in the future and not cost them 1.5-2k at the dealer.

Yeah but

Quote Originally Posted by rodneygt View Post
      I figured it out eventually, tracing the line all the way to the modulator valve block of the abs unit. One of the valves in the abs unit's modulator valve block was stuck. I bought a used abs unit on eBay and swapped the modulator valve part with the one in my abs unit. It has good brakes now.

Maybe this will help someone in the future and not cost them 1.5-2k at the dealer.
      Thanks for the info. 10 years ago this would be great info if you can work on a car yourself. AGE- that's the key.
      But at least I'll be educated for this problem should it arise. This is from a person that almost never paid anybody to fix anything on any auto I owned.
      2011 S40 T5 Polestar-Barents-Convector Wheels/BLIS/R Type Spoiler
      2011- C70-T5 - Polestar--Electric Silver-Loaded- except Blis
      1987- Vanagon Westy Camper

9. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements