Elevate Group Buy - T5 AWD charge/hardpipe upgrade - Page 2
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
      If it will fit with the manual transmission and not hang to low, you can add me to the list.
      2005 V50 T5 AWD 6MT

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Count me and my 05 v50 t5 m66 awd in. Would be very excited to add this in. Planning on getting an upgraded IC and stage 1 tune at some point t in the near future so this would go great with it.

Just keep us posted on elevates progress and when we need to pay.

You got it. I'm guessing it'll be ready January-ish, if everything goes according to plan.
      2005 V50 T5 AWD M66

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Wasn't able to get pics of the pipe this weekend, but the car is going in for an alignment Wednesday so I'll try to take some photos when it's on the rack.
      2007 S40 T5 AWD

Sounds good, make sure to get pics at varying and different angles.
      2005 V50 T5 AWD M66

I've been thinking of just fabricating my own... Probably trying to make it out of one or two pipes.
      Has Don given a price estimate?

Quote Originally Posted by avenger09123 View Post
      I went with the 3.5" intercooler and he got the 3.25" and I put in hardpipes going from the stock hardpipe to 2.5" all the way up to the TB and it is a BEAST BEAST BEAST.
      Are you saying that you have no silicone or rubber connectors between each of these components? The FMIC hangs from the bumper, so it remains stationary as the engine rocks when under load (or when an engine mount goes bad and the engine shifts position). Having those silicone pipes alleviates unnecessary stress on other components.

Quote Originally Posted by eff naked teeth View Post
      If it will fit with the manual transmission and not hang to low, you can add me to the list.
      The transmission won't make a difference for this pipe. Should be the same for FWD and AWD.

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIdeasWereTaken View Post
      I've been thinking of just fabricating my own... Probably trying to make it out of one or two pipes.
      Has Don given a price estimate?

Are you saying that you have no silicone or rubber connectors between each of these components? The FMIC hangs from the bumper, so it remains stationary as the engine rocks when under load (or when an engine mount goes bad and the engine shifts position). Having those silicone pipes alleviates unnecessary stress on other components.

The transmission won't make a difference for this pipe. Should be the same for FWD and AWD.
      Basically, when you put the large 3.5" intercooler in it, you barely have room to mount it using the stock mounting tabs. Mine had one broken mounting tab on the IC anyways. So what I did was put silicone couplers and custom sized 2.5" intercooler aluminum pipe in it. From the Stock hardpipe from the turbo, I go to a 2-2.5" transition, a 2.5" 90 bend as the first IC pipe then a coupler into the intercooler, then the far side is a 90 degree coupler and a 1' 2.5" aluminum IC pipe and then a coupler going onto the stock TB.

The stock IC hangs from the mounting brackets surrounding the radiator. Mine does not hang on anything. It allows for the minute movements, but due to the nature of the design movement is allowed but it is stiff to excess movement.
      2006 Volvo S40 AWD T5 M66 - Dusty Rusty
      2012 Subaru Outback 2.5i CVT - Slowmobile - CAI only, Powerstop Rotors+Pads.
      1996 HD Electra Glide - Big Bertha 10:1 Pistons; EV13 Cam: Ultima Digital Ignition; Buell Head Conversion; E85 Carb Tuned;

That works! Just wouldn't work for everybody.

Any pictures of the plumbing?

That works! Just wouldn't work for everybody.

Any pictures of the plumbing?
      Bottom of the page has all the pictures. Realistically, if you used hump silicone adapters, you could have everything mounted like stock, replace all the soft pipe with hardpipe and it would have just as much clearance and wiggle room as a stock setup.

Mine just uses the torsional interaction between the two hardpipes to hold the whole IC upright, utilizing two 90 angles at crossing orientations to keep it off the radiator metal bracket without needing to bolt it to the plastic radiator frame. #engineeringfun

http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthr...-Install/page2
      2006 Volvo S40 AWD T5 M66 - Dusty Rusty
      2012 Subaru Outback 2.5i CVT - Slowmobile - CAI only, Powerstop Rotors+Pads.
      1996 HD Electra Glide - Big Bertha 10:1 Pistons; EV13 Cam: Ultima Digital Ignition; Buell Head Conversion; E85 Carb Tuned;

I've been thinking of just fabricating my own... Probably trying to make it out of one or two pipes. Has Don given a price estimate?
      Yes, same cost as the FWD kit - $200. And in reality, that's a deal. Here's what I ended up doing to make my own before I started organizing this kit, so I know for a fact Elevate's kit is a good buy: bought mandrel bent aluminized 2.5" pipe (2.35" ID), had to cut them for the 6+ direction changes the AWD makes, butt-weld each piece together, cut the old mounting tabs off and install them onto the new pipe, and carried the pipe all the way to the 'in' side of the IC where I put a straight 2.5 silicone hose coupler. But cleaning out the inside of the pipe is the most difficult part when you're done. Each of the welds (unless you're super super careful)) will leave welding slag. I tried running a rag through and that helped, but the only way I could sleep at night is by pouring rustoleum bbq paint down the pipe and coating it and all the debris. But because of that, I will still be buying an Elevate kit when it's ready. All in all, my car was out of commission for a week and I spent about $300.
      2005 V50 T5 AWD M66

Quote Originally Posted by avenger09123 View Post
      Mine just uses the torsional interaction between the two hardpipes to hold the whole IC upright, utilizing two 90 angles at crossing orientations to keep it off the radiator metal bracket without needing to bolt it to the plastic radiator frame.
      I just drilled holes in the radiator support and zip-tied the new IC in place- rock solid. Still took a fair amount of dremel-modification to get the bumper cover to clear.
      2005 V50 T5 AWD M66

pics of the charge pipe:

http://imgur.com/a/xTIkJ
      2007 S40 T5 AWD

^ thanks for sending those pics. Drjonez graciously sent his AWD charge pipe to Elevate for fabrication mock-up. I'm expecting that when it arrives and Don starts work, it'll take another 4-6 weeks for a commercial production run. I'll keep you all posted.
      2005 V50 T5 AWD M66

Status update! Don's received the donated AWD charge pipe and he's now working on fabrication and production. Stay tuned.
      2005 V50 T5 AWD M66

I already put my request in. However, would like mine with ceramic coating if possible. extra cost not a problem. I'm really looking forward to installing this item on my vehicle.
      1994 850 wagon 5spd N/A
      2007 V50 T5 AWD 6spd

Update: Don is still working with his manufacturer to get a prototype. With the holiday season, I expect to hear something more concrete in the first couple weeks of January. Btw, Merry Christmas everyone!
      2005 V50 T5 AWD M66

Sounds good - just keep us posted with any progress. Merry Christmas and enjoy your holiday all.
      2010 S40 T5 AWD M66 R-Desgin (The Unicorn) - KW V1 - FastCo FC04A - Elevate rear sway bar - Massive RaceSpec Adjustable Camber Arms - GoVo ecu spacer

Quote Originally Posted by mercdude View Post
      Update: Don is still working with his manufacturer to get a prototype. With the holiday season, I expect to hear something more concrete in the first couple weeks of January. Btw, Merry Christmas everyone!
      Can I get in on this still?! pick me!

Don't worry, you can get in on it too, but at the moment I'm still waiting on Don's production run.
      2005 V50 T5 AWD M66

Update, Don's still working on production. Stay tuned!
      2005 V50 T5 AWD M66

Any teaser pics?
      2010 S40 T5 AWD M66 R-Desgin (The Unicorn) - KW V1 - FastCo FC04A - Elevate rear sway bar - Massive RaceSpec Adjustable Camber Arms - GoVo ecu spacer

I wish!
      2005 V50 T5 AWD M66

Well did I really start Something Again ?

Might try oval piping for better clearance, but oval pipe won't fit between the oil pan and transmission. well at least with m66 it won't. Best you can do is 2.5" pipe in the oem location. Hopefully don will be able to come up with a kit for us.

1 PSI like You mentioned and Easier Working Turbo , so heat on Charge goes down .

I just Skimmed this thread over - Hows it going ..

I Looked at Oval Pipe - that's Pricey - I found a Stock size 2.375 fit Up to Inter-coolers Smoothly .
      Don may be all set with 2.5 Inch Pipe Guys .
      it all comes down to Tooling , availability , Fit & Finish ..

I Routed My Hard Pipe more of Angel to also make it Shorter Run so Volume wise was Less which Keep Velocity Up .
      Going the Self Made Route is Not for semi Skilled .

Also Adding the ( Stock Pipe Unit ) looks like it was an Old Tractor Part from the 40's or 50's and very small ID .
      Last edited by EngTech; 01-17-2017 at 09:05 PM.
      ** V50 AWD - Handling & Performance Tweaks = New Stance / VW CC - Handling Tweaks - Testing & Porting - Intake Mods
      A Garden Gate will Last You a Life Time . http://s261.photobucket.com/user/Eng...0Trim%20%20etc

I Hear Ya !

Yes, same cost as the FWD kit - $200. And in reality, that's a deal. Here's what I ended up doing to make my own before I started organizing this kit, so I know for a fact Elevate's kit is a good buy: bought mandrel bent aluminized 2.5" pipe (2.35" ID), had to cut them for the 6+ direction changes the AWD makes, butt-weld each piece together, cut the old mounting tabs off and install them onto the new pipe, and carried the pipe all the way to the 'in' side of the IC where I put a straight 2.5 silicone hose coupler. But cleaning out the inside of the pipe is the most difficult part when you're done. Each of the welds (unless you're super super careful)) will leave welding slag. I tried running a rag through and that helped, but the only way I could sleep at night is by pouring rustoleum bbq paint down the pipe and coating it and all the debris. But because of that, I will still be buying an Elevate kit when it's ready. All in all, my car was out of commission for a week and I spent about $300.

First Welder Guy was OK , but Gas Shielding is a Must , sec. Guy was using Better Rod and much more Gas Shielding - Of Course Free
      Items from the Training School made it & Made it Nice & Clean .

Even Thou I still - got My Port and Polish extensions out and smoothed as much as I could in all those Area's ( as ) We assembled the Pipe .
      Major Time Consuming

Old Man of the Forest is the _ Bob Cat
      https://twitter.com/shortdancevids/s...63531673993216
      ** V50 AWD - Handling & Performance Tweaks = New Stance / VW CC - Handling Tweaks - Testing & Porting - Intake Mods
      A Garden Gate will Last You a Life Time . http://s261.photobucket.com/user/Eng...0Trim%20%20etc

So far Don is still manufacturing. I think we are all really looking forward to his production.
      2005 V50 T5 AWD M66

Good to Hear - He - should give the Guys a - Sneak Peek - Pic ..

Can't wait, but i'm glad somebody is making them.
      Together with the installation will be my intercooler, porsche TB and i hope a pumaspeed intake.
      Also shall order the hose from IC to TB with Don.
      I think i must feel a difference when ready
      2005 V50 T5 AWD M66
      EST 3'' DP - K&N Intakepipe - DO88 Intercooler - Forge BCV - Elevate TCV, Lowering Springs and Swaybar - E-Focus Torgue Mount - Koni STR.T - SPR Strut brace - IPD End links

AaHhhhh U Feel the Difference Already !

Quote Originally Posted by TurboBoy View Post
      Can't wait, but i'm glad somebody is making them.
      Together with the installation will be my intercooler, porsche TB and i hope a pumaspeed intake.
      Also shall order the hose from IC to TB with Don.
      I think i must feel a difference when ready
      Did the same improvements - makes your t5 come alive + ready for a software tune. With a tune, it's pretty beastly.
      2005 V50 T5 AWD M66

Adding those Pcs. Probably 10 Hp Stock and 20 Hp + above Tuned Hp = Lot more Tq.

Agreed. There's some improvement to be had on the intake tracts which is heavily optimized by tuning.
      2005 V50 T5 AWD M66

2011 S40 auto I'm in!

Intercooler & Hard Pipe - Best Thou ! Especially in Hot weather ..

I also Hope some of You Visit the

Photography Area of Swede speed

Last edited by EngTech; 01-21-2017 at 04:46 PM.

2010 S40 M66 AWD, I'm in as well mercdude if it isn't too late!

Not too late, elevate is still working on production.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      2005 V50 T5 AWD M66

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast