A/C Compressor help
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

A/C Compressor help

Took the XC90 V8 out of storage last week after about 9 months and now I have an AC issue. Wife and I where out for a drive this past weekend and for the first time in well over a year we turned on the climate controls. About 1/2 mile later the car stalled while turning into a parking lot and would not run until I turn off the climate control. Drove it home and now there is a rattle from the pulley/clutch and you can see the hub slowly rotating.

I think we seized the compressor and destroyed the clutch. Any thoughts? I'm going to have to do all the repair myself, minus the recharge.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I took a closer look today. With the motor running but the A/C off the outer part of the clutch is slowly turning, there is rattling noise and there is some black debris around the air gap. When we activate the A/C the noise stops, the pulleys starts spinning at belt speed but I don't see the nut at the center of the pulley turning.

I guess my question is with the AC on should that nut be spinning?

I think you may have a couple of separate issues first the V8 Compressor is variable output and always on and is controlled by and internal solenoid not the pulley like most, it's internal to the compressor so the pulley will always be spinning ,the valve goes bad with time and results in low or no compressor output, is it pushing cold air? the stalling is more of a mystery it might be related to an internal compressor failure, fan electrical draw or it might might be a bad sensor or signal to another module or if I had to guess, voltage/current related since you're adding draw with the AC/fan, and it's on the same belt as the alternator but the ECM should be throwing a code of some sort if it's stalling consistently. Did you see any trouble lights before it stalled? I'd try to get a code reader on the car and see if that points you in a particular direction I'd also look at the belt tension & alternator output which should be about 14.xx at idle and the belt itself since it's been sitting a while. I've seen lots of weird stuff happened to cars that have been stored in fine shape then put back on the street, after 9 months depending on how it was stored and prepped gas, belts, lines, electrical, hoses and the storage environment all can be an issue- I bought a BMW which was stored correctly that looked great but had a mouse nesting in the intake and and had chewed through into the MAF ... not visible until I went to replace the MAF and intake boots to fix an idle issue,enough air was getting in to start the car cold but not at idle.
      Last edited by peterz123; 11-19-2016 at 11:57 AM.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

No codes and it has not stalled once since the AC pulley started rattling. So it is supposed to turn very slowly when the Climate control is off? When the AC is engaged the noise stops. All the AC compressors I've ever been around that center bolt rotates when the AC is engaged while this one doesn't. That was why it's got me wondering what's up.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyGTO View Post
      No codes and it has not stalled once since the AC pulley started rattling. So it is supposed to turn very slowly when the Climate control is off? When the AC is engaged the noise stops. All the AC compressors I've ever been around that center bolt rotates when the AC is engaged while this one doesn't. That was why it's got me wondering what's up.
      Yes it very different than a traditional setup it will rotate but does not indicate compressor engagement, this is a variable displacement compressor which is controlled through a solenoid which gets input from the climate control module/sensors and the Engine control module/sensors you can't actually check the compressor output and duty cycle without being connected to a factory scanning system which looks at the control voltages the clutch and even manifold gauges won't tell you exactly when and at what level the compressor is working. All that said the compressor should not rattle under any condition on the V8 it is located down low and if for some reason the factory splash guard is missing dirt and debris could find its way in and cause bearing wear.

I finally had some time to look at the issue and found that the clutch hub has sheared clean off the clutch plate. That left the hub frozen to the compressor shaft while the plate loosely rattles around. I removed the broken plate and the noise went away but obviously the AC no longer works, I am assuming the compressor froze up. Does anyone have a good guide to swapping out the compressor and is this a rare event?

9. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements