MyNameIdeasWereTaken V50XC Progression Thread - Page 2
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
      Quote Originally Posted by mercdude View Post
      Huh. So did you drill a hole in the roof for the wiring? or... ???
      All external. If you look closely, you can see the wiring in this picture.

Last edited by MyNameIdeasWereTaken; 12-31-2016 at 03:43 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

So it comes up the cowl from the engine bay and then you routed it underneath the racks?
      2005 V50 T5 AWD M66

So it comes up the cowl from the engine bay and then you routed it underneath the racks?
      Yep! So wiring is almost completely hidden.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Got our "1 John 1:5" license plates put on. Tax was only $450 and each year will only require $35 renewal with no emissions and no inspections because of our county. I'll take that!

I was super curious, what does that mean? Is it a bible quote or does it have some other meaning?
      2006 V50 T5 AWD AW55, 320mm FR Brake upgrade, Elevate Intake, OBX Exhaust.
      2010 XC90 V8 Executive Latest Addition.
      2008 XC90 V8 Executive Edition, w/Muffler Delete.
      2005 XC90 V8 Black, VB replaced, S60R Brake Swaped
      2013 Jetta Sportwagen TDI 6spd. Malone S2 tuned 200hp/350tq.

Quote Originally Posted by V50R View Post
      I was super curious, what does that mean? Is it a bible quote or does it have some other meaning?
      Yep, from 1John in the Bible, chapter 1, verse 5.
      "This is the message we have heard from him and declare to you: God is light; in him there is no darkness at all."
      It's from a passage titled "Walk in the Light," which will be ironic once I finish wiring up these Hellas.

^ Represent.
      2005 V50 T5 AWD M66

OK, i feel stupid now, if i would have watched the video i would not have cluttered your thread with useless questions.. MY BAD!
      Very neat! I have never seen anyone do anything like that so props to you!

I rock Sweedish export plates on mine, i dig the whole red plate thing.. makes it look good on a silver car.

No worries! I know embedded videos are often not displayed by some of the mobile apps, so it's worth explaining for others who might have missed it.

I thought about getting an export/OSD plate. We actually got the 1John15 plate for the previous V50. Then at a car event, I was able to get a custom Swedish plate made (on the spot). I thought it would be pretty cool to have a Swedish front plate that matched the GA state registration plate.

If I'm completely honest, I would prefer no front plate at all... GA only requires rear plates. But... There were drill holes in the bumper that I wanted to cover up.

My C30 also has a custom plate. "T-5M"

Last edited by MyNameIdeasWereTaken; 12-31-2016 at 03:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIdeasWereTaken View Post
      What drain pipe are you referring to? I'm not going through the sunroof, if that's what you mean.
      Running the wiring under the channel between the windshield an the A-pillar.
      Ahh!... And then under the hood to the battery. Ok, so you don't really see the wires at all. Nice!
      2013 XC70 T6 Polestar(ed)

As promised, here is episode 6, showing the installation of the Hella lights. I didn't go into full detail about wiring up the lights and mounting them; you should receive detailed instructions in Hella's kit. However, this video does show how I hid all the wiring and where I put my switch.

Hmm.... so you didnt actually wire them trough long beams? Thats what I was most interested in, as I am planning to do mine in "proper" way.

looks awesome though, and good mix of wide + long beam a photo of country road lit by them, maybe if possible?
      2005 V50, T5AWD, M66
      E-Focus Torque mount, E-46 bi-xenon retrofit, de-nanny mod

You can easily add another signal wire from the high beam to the ON position on the relay and that will flash all lights as if you used the inner switch... can be done fairly easy.

Quote Originally Posted by LizardOfBodom View Post
      Hmm.... so you didnt actually wire them trough long beams? Thats what I was most interested in, as I am planning to do mine in "proper" way.

looks awesome though, and good mix of wide + long beam a photo of country road lit by them, maybe if possible?
      No... Sorry if I mislead by my previous post. I'll often flash the high beams to alert people of animals or cops, so I don't want to completely blind them with all the lights turning on. I personally like having them operated by an independent switch. That is also a way to make them "legal" since you're not supposed to have more than 4 projecting light sources on the front of a vehicle in the US. Though, I've never seen anyone get in trouble for it...

I have seen a few people wire extra lights to come on with the high beams. I've also seen people wire them up to a switch and the high beams, so the switch must be turned on in order for them to illuminate with high beam activation. But this requires the vehicle to be running. I'll be converting all of the H3 bulbs to LEDs and want the option to briefly turn them on even when the car is off.

It has been raining non-stop since Saturday. Once the rain stops, I'll get some pictures of the back roads lit up like daytime.

Have you considered going with an LED light bar?

The last one i used on my car was around 36" i think and produced 18000lm...

The halogen H3s produce maybe 1000 a piece... if that...

I have an 11000LM LED light bar on the C30 which I love, had one on my S40 as well. But I got these Hellas for free, so I wasn't going to waste them. I also really like the look of the round rally lights, it fits the theme of this car.

A friend recently installed an LED kit in his Hellas. Each light is putting out 5000LM. So that will probably be the route I take, especially for the price.

Looks like you got one of the rare Unicorns dynamic package and all I got one too but my case was an accident I had no idea what I was buying.
      It looks like you were originally looking at this same wagon.
      http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthr...=1#post2464964

AJ, the previous owner, also purchased this V50 without realizing just how rare of a car it really was.

I have seen a few people wire extra lights to come on with the high beams. I've also seen people wire them up to a switch and the high beams, so the switch must be turned on in order for them to illuminate with high beam activation. But this requires the vehicle to be running....)
      yes, thats exactly what I was thinking of, so basically to have 2 extra spotlights that will flash only when long beam lever is used, and with separate switch that will disable them so they dont flash with long beams. Thats the only way its legal in EU and also the only way I would have use for that.

I actually come across the detailed info today on original Volvo spotlight acessory. There is full step by step installation procedure in VIDA that I guess is usefull for any spotlight installation to do it the way I want. I may actually try to look for that kit, looks good and may be worth considering.

How did you convert the bulbs - did you use standard H3->LED conversions (like H3 base with LED emitter) or did something more?
      Looking forward for the pic of beam

Also - question for you and V50R - how is the beam pattern of those LED light bars? As far as I know, those are designed to flood lit area not too far from the car so great for 4x4s and all around roof rack accessory, but if I am looking for long-beam upgrade (like literally to shine straightforward as far as friggin possible) am I better using standard Hella Comets or similars?
      2005 V50, T5AWD, M66

They have both Spot and Flood and most are actually combined. I had a spot light on mine and it created a very narrrow eliptical shape beam which would shine for 1/4mi or more when used... worked absoluteley amazing.

In contrast my friend had a flood style bar and it was worth less since it dumped a ton of light on the hood and around the vehicle so bad for high speed driving but great for driving in the woods.

They have both Spot and Flood and most are actually combined. I had a spot light on mine and it created a very narrrow eliptical shape beam which would shine for 1/4mi or more when used... worked absoluteley amazing. .
      ...huh... thats a surprise actually... you learn something new everyday, thanks
      will look into this aswell . Was considering the option of small LED bar behind my front mesh grille, same way as MNIWT's C30, but thought its not possible to have spot version.
      2005 V50, T5AWD, M66

I haven't purchased the LED kit yet, but they're plug and play replacements in the H3 bulb sockets.

As for the light bar, like V50R said, there are LED spots and LED flood lights. My car consists of both, so it is both a wide and distant band of illumination.
      Everything directly in front of the car is completely lit up and it's good to see pretty far down the road. Much brighter and further than the stock high beams.

I have since relocated it from the lower grille area (blocking too much of the FMIC) to behind the upper grille.

https://goo.gl/photos/pr5SjyazdMsJ7zKCA

Quote Originally Posted by LizardOfBodom View Post
      ...huh... thats a surprise actually... you learn something new everyday, thanks
      will look into this aswell . Was considering the option of small LED bar behind my front mesh grille, same way as MNIWT's C30, but thought its not possible to have spot version.
      Here's a better picture. You can see the outer LEDs are all flood, while the center LEDs are spot.

I haven't purchased the LED kit yet, but they're plug and play replacements in the H3 bulb sockets.

As for the light bar, like V50R said, there are LED spots and LED flood lights. My car consists of both, so it is both a wide and distant band of illumination.
      Everything directly in front of the car is completely lit up and it's good to see pretty far down the road. Much brighter and further than the stock high beams.

I have since relocated it from the lower grille area (blocking too much of the FMIC) to behind the upper grille.

https://goo.gl/photos/pr5SjyazdMsJ7zKCA

Can you tell me more about this grill on top of the hood that you got??? I am curious how that came about.

Can you tell me more about this grill on top of the hood that you got??? I am curious how that came about.
      You know the link to my C30 build thread is in my signature.

It's a GT500 hood vent and my gosh does it make an improvement! I can come off an AutoX event in the middle of summer and my engine bay temps aren't much higher than ambient. Even after a hard run, you can touch the hood without burning your hand.

Here's an older picture. I recently bolted it to the hood, so it now sits as flush as possible and I not longer have that gasket trim around it. The V50 will be getting one of these before summer.

And it also lets rain into the engine compartment I just took a brief tour through your C30 build - impressive, but makes me wonder how you're going to modify this V50 / adele.
      2005 V50 T5 AWD M66

Been exposed to the rain for a year and half with no issues so far. There's a lot of people on C30Crew with hood vents and the only complaint is getting a dirty strut bar.

All mods to Adele are of my wife's choosing, so it'll be a bit different from my C30 and S40s.

So you don't think that (given time - aka years), the extra moisture on the backside of the engine will cause rust issues around the exhaust? Maybe I'm being too conservative...
      2005 V50 T5 AWD M66

I'm not concerned at all. That area already sees plenty of water and moisture just getting kicked up from the road. I know of a few hood vents that have been on other Volvos for 10 years now, still no problems for those owners.

Compared to some of the massive cooling vents that you'll find on other cars (like the Evo) with no water drains of covers for the engine, this is minimal in comparison.

Here's a better picture. You can see the outer LEDs are all flood, while the center LEDs are spot.
      awesome! love the design and multi functionality.
      will defo consider this option aswell. Today however I just had realised I cant really mount anything behind the front grille as it will be impossible to clean. Roads I drive on every day are full of field mud and quarry muck, so since the frost 3 weeks ago, I have to wipe headlights literally every day or they are covered with thick layer of dirt. My front grille looks like it went trough spraypaint booth so that would make no sense. Will re-think the mounting position and put it over/under the bumper but on the outside of it.

thanks again for all tips!
      2005 V50, T5AWD, M66

I'm not concerned at all. That area already sees plenty of water and moisture just getting kicked up from the road.
      Huh. I would have thought that the engine shield prevented that.
      2005 V50 T5 AWD M66

Huh. I would have thought that the engine shield prevented that.
      It's after the skid plate, where it's completely open for the exhaust. It may just be my 2" of ground clearance that causes so much water to get splashed up along the downpipe and manifold.

Santa came early! But a color change is definitely on the list, not super thrilled about the machine finish on a silver car.

Last edited by MyNameIdeasWereTaken; 12-31-2016 at 03:46 PM.

#WheelWednesday

Wow looking great Michael! Cant wait to see it at C&O!
      *2006 Volvo S40 T5 FWD Geartronic*

Atlanta Moose

#WheelWednesday

Project V50 when did that happen . . . going away for a while and bam new things . . .
      T5 S40 Greg (05) > 1. 2. 3. | Kenwood interface |Viva 3"DP |EST exhaust |RICA stage 2+ |EST trust brace |Elevate sway bar |Bell black FMIC | intake pipe |IPD TCV |H&R 1.4 down |IPD front end-links |Focus tran mount |BERN 18x8 on Michelin pilot super sp 225x40 |Bilstein 8 SP struts and shocks |Powerslot rotors |StopTech 309 pads |Custom Boost gauge |Lettering relocation head+rear lights cut vinyl |

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast