MyNameIdeasWereTaken V50XC Progression Thread - Page 3
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
      Quote Originally Posted by TG View Post
      Project V50 when did that happen . . . going away for a while and bam new things . . .
      Wow!

You're a little before my time but I've always idolized your S40. Good to see you back on the forums. Hopefully you stay a while

The wheels and the spacers look awesome Michael!

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Project V50 when did that happen . . . going away for a while and bam new things . . .
      Greg, you're alive! Been wondering if you sold your S40 or were still in the game.

...So when are we going to see pictures of your modified dynamic trim?

Quote Originally Posted by nathanlevang View Post
      The wheels and the spacers look awesome Michael!
      Thanks! I love the style of these wheels, very OEM. But the color(s) need to change.

I know what it needs!! Some really big shiny HRE's!!
      67 122s (in the works) wiseco 90mm, Schneider 264, other fun stuff
      84 245 TM
      98 V70 GLT, whites, 16g, turbosmart SOLD
      95 850 T5r, black (soon to be tinkered with)
      08 C30 T5 Elevate C30

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIdeasWereTaken View Post
      Greg, you're alive! Been wondering if you sold your S40 or were still in the game.

...So when are we going to see pictures of your modified dynamic trim?

Yes I am, thank you,
      No I still hang on to it. I'm not enamored by too many other cars these days. Plus the finances haven't been at their pick so priorities aren't especially on buying a new car for now. I can't say I'm still in the game exactly. I had to take a brake from SS a little. It was getting too absorbing and I wasn't especially thrilled with the lesser time I could provide with the car so long story short not much new has happened...

It's good to be back a little though. I missed SS a little... I'll hang out for a bit. . . . and honestly, that dynamic trim mod isn't worse mentioning, especially since the paint job I had done on the trim has been such a botched up job. It's flacking and coming off the front spoiler. pretty sad... I've been thinking about wrapping the whole thing but I lack time...

More importantly, it's great to see you are still going with the P1s and that your "wife's" car (correct?) is getting some attention too

Quote Originally Posted by nathanlevang View Post
      Wow You're a little before my time but I've always idolized your S40. Good to see you back on the forums. Hopefully you stay a while

Thx Nathan. I'll hang out a bit

Maybe I'll get a second breath of air to get back into things...
      Last edited by TG; 12-16-2016 at 07:17 PM.
      T5 S40 Greg (05) > 1. 2. 3. | Kenwood interface |Viva 3"DP |EST exhaust |RICA stage 2+ |EST trust brace |Elevate sway bar |Bell black FMIC | intake pipe |IPD TCV |H&R 1.4 down |IPD front end-links |Focus tran mount |BERN 18x8 on Michelin pilot super sp 225x40 |Bilstein 8 SP struts and shocks |Powerslot rotors |StopTech 309 pads |Custom Boost gauge |Lettering relocation head+rear lights cut vinyl |

Full size spare off an XC70, picked it up for $25 at the junk yard. So I have Volvo's official XC wheel as a spare for this car and Volvo's official R wheel as a spare for the C30.

Last edited by MyNameIdeasWereTaken; 12-31-2016 at 03:33 PM.

awesome! both the set up and the video!
      2008 C70 GT - Black/Black/Nordic Oak
      Shark Tune - GoVo ECU Spacer - Ford e-Focus Mount - Koni FSD - Elevate SwayBar - Massive Camber Arms - Centric Rotors - Akebono Pads - Nokian Z-Line 235/45/18 - Mods4cars SmartTop - Llumar/Madico Tint - E46 Bi-Xenon Retrofit w/ZKW-R Lens Morimoto XB35 - LED Int/Ext/Halos - Fryalip - Fumoto Valve

Thanks!

The offroad look seems to be offending a few people on other sites. So I'm happy to see that we're starting the push the boundaries of what people are comfortable with seeing on these cars.

Nicely done. The volvo center cap is a nice touch for the OEM look. Did you have to specifically find a wheel with the correct center cap size? Also, what size tire are you running now?
      2005 V50 T5 AWD M66

I got lucky and the Volvo center caps fit! I'm glad they do, because it adds to the OEM appearance of the wheels.
      They are wrapped in 245/45 17. Speedometer is slightly off at highway speeds; about 1mph at 60mph and 2mph around 80mph, not enough to be of concern.
      The spare is wrapped in a 205/60 16, so a nearly identical overall diameter.

The ride is super smooth and I don't have to worry about the wheels getting damaged when my wife takes this down long poorly-paved and unpaved roads to client's houses.

That is lucky. And yeah, low profile tires are a killer to rims. There's enough beef with 245/45 that the rims should be protected.
      2005 V50 T5 AWD M66

2005 V50 T5 AWD M66

Quote Originally Posted by mercdude View Post
      How does it idle with the cooler plugs?
      It's the C30 with the colder plugs, it idles the exact same as with stock plugs. Though, my tune is also written for cams, so I'm not sure how it might vary from yours.
      Last edited by MyNameIdeasWereTaken; 12-20-2016 at 12:42 PM.

Sorry I put my response in the wrong thread!
      2005 V50 T5 AWD M66

Rally Armor mudflaps are on!

Yes... I know the right mudflap is slightly angled. I'll be straightening that today.

Last edited by MyNameIdeasWereTaken; 12-31-2016 at 03:35 PM.

Lol just when I thought you were getting classy...
      2005 V50 T5 AWD M66

Lol just when I thought you were getting classy...

I like to make it radical. Understated mods make for a clean look, but I want to build something that's cleanly executed and turns heads for being vastly different.

I'll give you this: almost all your custom stuff is well-done and this is a clean install. But it makes the v50 look like a 1970's diesel truck. lol seriously man, you know you drive a volvo, right?
      2005 V50 T5 AWD M66

Those mud flaps are... Something. I can understand wanting them, but they look giant. Like they were cut from a big sheet of plastic and just screwed on...
      1998 V70 T5 Manual - SOLD
      2008 C30 R Design

Around Michigan the Subaru crowds seem to find them very attractive even when they were installed on my V50 but between that and the roof rack I managed to get the car from 28mpg to 20mpg highway so at some point they had to go. I don't miss them but I did like the amount of protection they gave the side of my car, no mud or snow ever got on the doors especially from the front ones but they were a bit much and the body lines makes the rear look way out past the body even though they technically lined up to the body.

They looked pretty much the same as on your car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      2006 V50 T5 AWD AW55, 320mm FR Brake upgrade, Elevate Intake, OBX Exhaust.
      2010 XC90 V8 Executive Latest Addition.
      2008 XC90 V8 Executive Edition, w/Muffler Delete.
      2005 XC90 V8 Black, VB replaced, S60R Brake Swaped
      2013 Jetta Sportwagen TDI 6spd. Malone S2 tuned 200hp/350tq.

I didn't realize how many things I was copying on your car!
      Time to really mix it up. Still a few big cosmetic changes to come.

GPS mount finished

Last edited by MyNameIdeasWereTaken; 12-31-2016 at 03:36 PM.

I guess there are still people who like to use a GPS
      I've had this discussion with co-workers. It's amazing how many prefer using their phones and tend to deny its downfall when it comes to convenient navigation ...
      T5 S40 Greg (05) > 1. 2. 3. | Kenwood interface |Viva 3"DP |EST exhaust |RICA stage 2+ |EST trust brace |Elevate sway bar |Bell black FMIC | intake pipe |IPD TCV |H&R 1.4 down |IPD front end-links |Focus tran mount |BERN 18x8 on Michelin pilot super sp 225x40 |Bilstein 8 SP struts and shocks |Powerslot rotors |StopTech 309 pads |Custom Boost gauge |Lettering relocation head+rear lights cut vinyl |

Phones are not the solution when it comes to navigation. We frequently travel to parts of the Smokey Mountains where there is still no cell signal, so a real GPS is the only option.
      I like to leave my GPS on at all times, as I enjoy see what roads I'm near and I also like that it displays the speed limit and elevation.
      Not to mention the amount of data usage that GPS phone apps use.

Plus, if you get pulled over for using your phone while driving, the cop isn't going to care if you were texting, choosing music, or using navigation. Using your phone is using your phone.

New shift knob installed with purple lettering and a black pleather boot from an R-design. Like the 850, purple is going to be the subtle accent color on this car.

Last edited by MyNameIdeasWereTaken; 12-31-2016 at 03:37 PM.

If it's in good shape, wanna sell me that old shift knob?
      2005 V50 T5 AWD M66

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIdeasWereTaken View Post
      Phones are not the solution when it comes to navigation. We frequently travel to parts of the Smokey Mountains where there is still no cell signal, so a real GPS is the only option.
      I like to leave my GPS on at all times, as I enjoy see what roads I'm near and I also like that it displays the speed limit and elevation.
      Not to mention the amount of data usage that GPS phone apps use.

Plus, if you get pulled over for using your phone while driving, the cop isn't going to care if you were texting, choosing music, or using navigation. Using your phone is using your phone.
      With the ability to download maps to your phone through Google, this is not really a concern anymore.

I wouldn't think there is a difference between between using a phone for nav and using a dedicated navigation GPS in terms of hands free use. I can simply ask my phone to navigate to an address and it does it. Plus I don't have a huge screen tacked to my dashboard.
      1998 V70 T5 Manual - SOLD
      2008 C30 R Design

If it's in good shape, wanna sell me that old shift knob?
      The leather is pretty worn on the back, so I wouldn't consider it worth selling. I'm probably just going to use it on my simulator, since that uses the same six speed pattern as our cars.

Quote Originally Posted by Seaway View Post
      Plus I don't have a huge screen tacked to my dashboard.
      That's part of why I like it. With all our dragon visits and local mountain runs, I use the GPS more for the live map tracking than just trip planning. It's like a video game when you can see what turns are coming up.

Last edited by MyNameIdeasWereTaken; 12-31-2016 at 03:38 PM.

I guess there are still people who like to use a GPS
      I've had this discussion with co-workers. It's amazing how many prefer using their phones and tend to deny its downfall when it comes to convenient navigation ...
      Quote Originally Posted by Seaway View Post
      With the ability to download maps to your phone through Google, this is not really a concern anymore.

I wouldn't think there is a difference between between using a phone for nav and using a dedicated navigation GPS in terms of hands free use. I can simply ask my phone to navigate to an address and it does it. Plus I don't have a huge screen tacked to my dashboard.
      I rest my case . . .

Can anyone confirm if the P1 T5s have fiberglass packed around the perforated cores in the muffler?

I plan on replacing the muffler on the V50. Purely going for sound and to improve flow, but mostly wanting to improve the sound. I have my eyes set on a Dynomax turbo muffler for the Firebird/Camaro. But before I spend money on an axle back exhaust that is retaining the stock 2.25" piping, I think I might try to modify the factory muffler.

Obviously, I'm not going to straight pipe it through the muffler, but taking out the fiberglass and removing the bends is surely going to improve sound... Right?

This is from an 850, but pretty much the same idea.

sorry can't help here . . . but I fail to see the point of a straight pipe through the muffler.
      it seems to me the muffling effect would be extremely reduced to the point where by the time pressure builds up it may act close to not having any muffler at all... I'm probably missing something here but it doesn't sound very convincing

I would also speculate that a muffler like this without fiber glass would actually create a resonating box. But what do I know... I'm no sound engineer

I'm really wondering what the inside of our mufflers actually looks like. Like I said, I don't want to just run a straight pipe through the muffler; it'd be more logical to just cut the muffler off and run straight pipes if I did it that way. But I'm curious about:
      1. Just removing the fiberglass which is dampening the sound. The 2.4i guys did this and said it wasn't louder but was raspier.
      2. Replacing the bent perforated piping with a straight perforated pipe.
      a. leaving this straight perforated pipe in the hollow muffler.
      b. packing the fiberglass back around this straight perforated pipe
      3. Replacing the bent perforated piping with bent solid piping. I know the looping bends on our exhaust do a lot for altering flow and minimizing drone.

I would also speculate that a muffler like this without fiber glass would actually create a resonating box. But what do I know... I'm no sound engineer
      That's another thing I'm wondering, what would this "resonating box" sound like and would it improve or hinder flow?

Spoke to a friend who removed the fiberglass from the stock T5 muffler and welded it back up. He said it didn't sound any louder.
      So now I'm thinking... What if I did keep all the bends that the stock perforated pipes make, but replace them with solid pipes. Would it be as ear jarring as a straight pipe setup?

I'll start hacking up the stock muffler tomorrow and report back with my findings. I figure I'll either find a way to get some sound out of the stock muffler and save a few dollars, or I'll install the Dynomax muffler and call it a day.

More purple

Looking good man ! Do you have a link to those lug nuts? Gotta get myself some (probably not purple).
      *2006 Volvo S40 T5 FWD Geartronic*

Atlanta Moose

Quote Originally Posted by Meinders97 View Post
      Looking good man ! Do you have a link to those lug nuts? Gotta get myself some (probably not purple).
      They're JDM D1 Spec lugs, which you can get on Amazon or Ebay: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B015IWAU2W?psc=1
      Just about every color of the rainbow is available, but make sure you order M12 x 1.5. They're also one of the few aftermarket lug nuts that fit OEM wheels.

They are cheap. They are made in China. They are super light weight. But these have been some of the best lug nuts that I have ever used. I've had them on my C30 for years with no issues and minimal color fading, and they come on and off with the wheels at least once a month.
      Unlike the terrible Volvo acorn lug nuts which strip very easily and often require a re-torquing after 100 miles of being installed, these hold tight.

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast