MyNameIdeasWereTaken V50XC Progression Thread - Page 8
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
      Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIdeasWereTaken View Post
      Took both cars up to the dragon with some friends this weekend. The AWD is no slouch in the twisties, but you could really feel the extra weight of the wagon. It'll never be able to toss through the turns like the C30, but it was still a blast to drive! Also learned that it's great for towing out cars that get stuck in the ditch.

It does tow cars pretty well
      *2006 Volvo S40 T5 FWD Geartronic*

Atlanta Moose

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Made photo of the week! Can I get your votes? (on the home page, just scroll down http://www.129photos.com/)

IDK, with those mudflaps...
      2005 V50 T5 AWD M66

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Love this car, and the rally inspiration
      - Brian
      Michigander, aspiring lumberjack, Subaru Ambassador

2005 V50 AWD - "V."

Elevate tune, Heico suspension, & 199K miles

The owner of the RS is the previous owner of my V50, so that's why we got a few shots with both cars.

Also made a weekly highlight on Killboy.

Even with those trucker mudflaps, huh?
      2005 V50 T5 AWD M66

Quote Originally Posted by mercdude View Post
      Even with those trucker mudflaps, huh?
      You quit hatin' on Rally Armor, rascal!
      - Brian
      Michigander, aspiring lumberjack, Subaru Ambassador

2005 V50 AWD - "V."

Elevate tune, Heico suspension, & 199K miles

Can't help it But really though, those pics look great.
      2005 V50 T5 AWD M66

Installed a Fumoto drain valve. I've had one on the C30 for years and it makes oil changes so much easier.

I have one on my C30 as well. I was able to cut an L shaped access hole in the (plastic) skid plate so I can leave it in place, attach the drain hose and open the valve. Makes the whole process much easier and cleaner.
      1998 V70 T5 Manual - SOLD
      2008 C30 R Design

Drool....
      2005 V50 T5 AWD 6MT

Love it!

Thanks guys! Some more pictures from last weekend...

Also got ANOTHER feature on 129Photos. Please vote -----> http://www.129photos.com/

That looks great, it rounds out the look perfectly making it more aggressive.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Prior to the dragon, we also installed these custom brackets (made by TheBelgian) to extend the rear calipers and fit 320mm rear rotors. Like the C30, the brakes now feel even more balance and there is significantly less nose dive on hard braking.

Also painted the calipers purple to match the other purple accents on the car.

Those brackets are pretty awesome. I'd be interested in a set.

Belgian Brace...Belgian Bracket...what's next?
      Garage Queen - 2010 C30 R-Design Vrooooooom
      Daily - 2016 V60 T5 Drive-E Vrooooooom
      Zichrona Livracha - 2004.5 S40 T5

Had the seemingly inevitable heater core O ring leak from the lower pipe.

Old O ring vs. new.

Drained the coolant from the radiator and didn't have too much trouble getting the pipe apart. Putting them back together was the real challenge. I eventually removed the fuse box for better access.

I must say, this pipe is one of the worst designs I have ever seen in this car. Two metal pipe, mated with a tiny rubber O ring in the middle, expecting them to be held together by a plastic clip?!?! Yeah... No.
      I bought a new plastic clip, but considered this to be a weak point. Especially since less than 1mm of separation in the pipe will result in a failed seal and another leak. So I replaced it with a rubber coolant line and hose clamps. It's nice and tight, even if the pipes do slightly separate and the new O ring fails, this shouldn't ever leak again.

GReddy RS Type BOV installed... A few weeks ago.

Same setup as I have on my C30. As I mention in the video, this is an audible cosmetic modification, to be paired with the stock or aftermarket CBV. Even with the Forge CBV on my C30, I was getting the painful noise of air smacking back into the turbo. Setup for low boost to recirculate, lifting off the throttle from anything over 17psi results in atmospheric venting.
      Basically recreating the Turbosmart dualport setup.

Last edited by MyNameIdeasWereTaken; 04-28-2017 at 07:31 PM.

The Elevate FWD intercooler hardpipe will fit the AWD with little modification.

First thing to note is that the pipe only goes halfway into the silicone hose by the turbo. It's still far enough to securely fit the hose clamp inside of the flared portion of the pipe, so I have no fear of this ever coming loose. You can see the markings on the pipe from FWD fitment.

Side by side, the angle of the FWD pipe is much better for flow than the AWD pipe.

The AWD has two horizontal bolts holding it in place, where the stock and Elevate FWD pipes only use one.

To bolt up the vertical bolt, I needed a 40mm long bolt and a 7/8th inch spacer. Spacer size might vary depending on how far you fit the hard pipe into the turbo side silicone hose. Truth be told, I wouldn't even consider this bolt necessary. The pipe was solidly in place before putting this bolt in. On my C30, this bolt hole is stripped and I'm not even using it.

The way I have it sitting, there are a few millimeters clearance between the pipe and the transfer case and a few millimeters clearance between the pipe and the iPd skid plate.
      Fitment isn't perfect, but I'd say it's good. Once Elevate releases the AWD pipe design, I'll probably keep the FWD pipe just because it improves flow by removing that sharp 90° bend.

As expected, throttle response is improved and power delivery is much smoother. Unexpected was the increase in top end AND low end torque. Usually increasing volume causes a slight loss on the low end because more air is needed to fill the space between the turbo and throttle body. I can only assume the shape of the FWD pipe is what benefits the low end.

I also installed the silicone intercooler to throttle body hose.

For the 320mm rear brake upgrade do you use the stock calipers? If so, I am slightly confused on how increasing the rotor size would actually generate an effect. The pad area would still be the same without using an upgraded caliper right? Or am I just overthinking here.

Brake efficiency is dependant on a lot of factors. While increasing the rotor size won't increase the bite of the rear brakes, it increases the leverage the brakes have. Also, the added surface area means better heat dissipation so your brakes will stay cooler and therefore more consistent.

Quote Originally Posted by fewloosebolts View Post
      Brake efficiency is dependant on a lot of factors. While increasing the rotor size won't increase the bite of the rear brakes, it increases the leverage the brakes have. Also, the added surface area means better heat dissipation so your brakes will stay cooler and therefore more consistent.

Yep. Torque on the rotor is increased as the pads are moved further out. Basic physics!

What they said! ^^
      More rotor passes through the caliper with each rotation of the wheel.

Also an added perk, it used to take 4-5 clicks for the handbrake to hold the car. Now it only takes 3-4.

lol...this car looks kind of familiar.....
      2006 V50 T5 AWD M66: 19" Heico's w/ Hankook & ISC Coilovers
      IPD TCV, skidplate VIVA CBV, Prosport boost & AFR gauges, 6000k hid
      ELEVATE: Turbo Pipe, RSB, autotech III, body kit, intake. IC piping
      EST: grille, Exhaust, DP, BELL FMIC Streetunit trans mount.

Quote Originally Posted by Slasher View Post
      lol...this car looks kind of familiar.....
      Haha

For those who keep saying it's the same pattern, I do beg to differ... Same concept, but pretty different in my eyes.

lol..that was my initial from 2 or 3 winters ago. the redone a year later was the pattern you have now. it's not a pissing match bro your girls camo looks great. have at it and enjoy the camo.
      anyways...i've had the camo off for well over a year now.
      like i said in my post above the car certainly reminds me of someones though.
      needs coilovers and elevate body kit though (although that will be nearly impossible as there was only 2 sets of extenders ever made for the rear and the other is in Europe).
      nice job on the rear brake upgrade. did she notice a big difference in stopping distance? I am glad to see someone do this.
      2006 V50 T5 AWD M66: 19" Heico's w/ Hankook & ISC Coilovers
      IPD TCV, skidplate VIVA CBV, Prosport boost & AFR gauges, 6000k hid
      ELEVATE: Turbo Pipe, RSB, autotech III, body kit, intake. IC piping
      EST: grille, Exhaust, DP, BELL FMIC Streetunit trans mount.

Quote Originally Posted by Slasher View Post
      lol..that was my initial from 2 or 3 winters ago. the redone a year later was the pattern you have now. it's not a pissing match bro your girls camo looks great. have at it and enjoy the camo.
      anyways...i've had the camo off for well over a year now.
      like i said in my post above the car certainly reminds me of someones though.
      needs coilovers and elevate body kit though (although that will be nearly impossible as there was only 2 sets of extenders ever made for the rear and the other is in Europe).
      nice job on the rear brake upgrade. did she notice a big difference in stopping distance? I am glad to see someone do this.
      Any pictures of your arctic camo redo?!? I don't think I ever saw anything except for that first pattern.

Minimal improvement in stopping distance, but the car stops much smoother and level now. Less nose dive.

Proud to say that we won Dragon's Choice award at CTD8. Which means among all the C30s, non-C30s, K16 builds, etc. This car was chosen as the fan favorite that people would most like to ride/drive on the tail of the dragon. Really quite honored since everything about this car has been my wife's ideas or desires. Still a ways to go before it's completely where she wants it both for performance, handling, and cosmetics.

Even with the tire in the basket?

You gonna send the award to Slasher? Even the wheels match his car.
      1998 V70 T5 Manual - SOLD
      2008 C30 R Design

iPd skid plate is on. Bought it cheap and used, but it's better than the plastic splash shield.
      I don't like that the iPd plate doesn't fully cover the belt area... Like I said, bought it cheap.

Couple things: where do you keep finding these parts for cheap? And also (the bigger question), why did the wife's car suddenly go camo?
      2005 V50 T5 AWD M66

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast