Designer Edition Roof Box
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Designer Edition Roof Box

Has anyone purchased this item yet? I just bought the roof racks and the Designer Edition Box off Steingold as a Christmas present to myself.

Tried searching forums, but no luck. Anything I need to know about the install? (first time roof rack owners)
      just some cars...but for this forum:
      2016 Onyx Black Metallic XC90 T6 Inscription w/Amber
      Convenience, Vision, B&W, 4C Air, Climate, Center Booster, Protection Package
      Added: P*, PAII, Mudguards, Roof Rack, Volvo Designer Edition Roof Box, Cargo liner

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Man that looks awesome. A bit pricey for me as I'm not sure I'd want to use a Volvo box on a future non-Volvo car. I'm likely going to get the Thule sonic XL
      '16 Cadillac ATS-V - Phantom Grey - 6MT, Carbon Pkg, Luxury, RECARO, Suede, Red Brembos , Sunroof
      '16 Volvo XC90 R-Design - Passion Red - Polestar, Convenience, 4C Suspension, Bowers & Wilkins, CarPlay
      SOLD - '13 XC60 R-Design - Ice White - Platinum, Climate Pkg w/ Boosters, BLIS

my biggest gripe from having ridden in cars with them on is that they are so NOISY!!! (and while I love the XC90, it is definitely not as muted as the GLS).

But I'm trying to get the Wifey to pick the XC90 over the GLS on road trips so expanding our space is the easiest draw

But we've never owned or used roof racks ourselves so any suggestions / advice is greatly appreciated.

But yeah, on top of that, if anyone else has bought the designer edition box I'm curious, as it says there are side illumination, but would that mean it's battery operated? very curious. (If anything i guess i'll find out when Steingold sends it to me.)

oh! also, roof racks, I bought the ones that were for the XC90's not equipped with side steps. But what is this "key" that they mention? Is that how theses things lock in?
      Added: P*, PAII, Mudguards, Roof Rack, Volvo Designer Edition Roof Box, Cargo liner

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by BrianV View Post
      Man that looks awesome. A bit pricey for me as I'm not sure I'd want to use a Volvo box on a future non-Volvo car. I'm likely going to get the Thule sonic XL
      Am I missing something? No picture posted.

Looks nice but pretty small at 12.6 cubic feet of space for what it costs. We have the Yakima Carbonite Lo for $450. It has 15 cubic feet of space and looks decent due to it's low profile. Big enough for overnight bags, skis and snowboards.

Add LED lights for $7

https://www.amazon.com/Fulcrum-30010...attery+Powered
      2016 XC90 T8 R Bursting Blue w/ Vision, Climate & B&W

Quote Originally Posted by djd562 View Post
      Am I missing something? No picture posted.
      I'm guessing this one found here.

Currently Own:

2016 Volvo XC90 First Edition (Delivered May 2015)

2017 Audi Q7 (Delivered February 2016)

Quote Originally Posted by Paradox View Post
      yes, sorry, I should've linked a picture. Seems like no one has bought this one, is making me second guess my purcahse?

@GTSquared - being that i didn't have much experience I figured going all Volvo was "safer" for me. Also, if the picture is right, it's a glossy black that I can get wrapped in XPEL as well and it'll match the car pretty well.

Most of the ones I see are the dull plastic (which probably holds up better)

We're not looking to store anything more than our bags really, we only have the furbaby, no kids yet lol (https://www.instagram.com/andie_the_lab/?hl=en) - some XC90 photos in there

It will look nice as it's a gorgeous box. Ours has a golf ball type dimple finish/texture. Not my favourite but cuts wind noise. Good enough for what we needed at the time. If you've never had a roof box before, maybe put a bright sticky on the dash for the first week as a mental minder in case you use a parkade or something and forget it's there. Expensive mistake.... seen it lots.

Post pics when it's on. We all want to see it!

Quote Originally Posted by eyeloveteeth View Post
      ... Also, if the picture is right, it's a glossy black that I can get wrapped in XPEL as well and it'll match the car pretty well.

Most of the ones I see are the dull plastic (which probably holds up better)

Me likey! That shiny black box is going to look incredibly awesome on your shiny black car. Please post some pictures and write a few lines of review when you get it and use it.
      2017 XC90 T8 Inscription (OSD) · Black & amber · B&W · Vision · Convenience · Air suspension · Heated rear · s/w update 05/17/17

yes! waiting to see if this item actually exists - i e-mailed steingold after i bought it. Would love to have this in time for X-mas driving back to long island.

On the flip side
      https://www.instagram.com/p/BNMvyIxA..._the_lab&hl=en

For those wondering how the cargo liner holds up - we love it

"Color: High-gloss Black
      Accessory weight: 31 kg (68 lbs)
      Length: 2258 mm (external)
      Width: 942 mm (external)
      Load width: 733 mm (internal)
      Height: 295 mm (external)
      Volume: 350 liters (12 cu ft)
      Load capacity: Up to 69 kg (depending on the car's max. roof load weight)
      Number of pairs of skis: up to 6
      Number of snowboards: Up to 4
      Max. speed limitation: 130 km/h (80 mph)"

Hmm....wife has a lead foot, not going over 80 is going to be difficult LOL.

For those that have installed roofboxes. how do you guys get it perfectly centered?

On a roof box note that I wasn't aware of... while at my dealership this morning I found out that if you need to rent a roof top box, they do it for $99 a week. They'll install it up there and add whatever crossbars may be needed if the vehicle doesn't have them and remove everything upon return.

Just sharing because I didn't know they do this and for the first time next year we may drive to florida instead of flying so with 5 in the vehicle, this may be something I'd consider. I didn't get info on the type and size of box they supply though.

For those familiar with these boxes, are any large enough to fit your standard size carry-on type airline luggage and if so, how many aproximately? Or are they primarily for duffle bags and other soft type luggage. Thanks all
      Currently Own:

it'll vary from box to box right? mine has a dimension of 11.6 inches of height of the box, I'm assuming that means i have about 9.5 inches of clearance inside of the box.

but I was looking for a very low profile box. From all the boxes I've seen at LL Bean and what not, there is definitely a box that will fit carry on.

I don't know about you, but my wife hates flying, so if we can drive, we drive.

While the GLS is definitely easier (if i were going that long of a trip, LI to FL) - from NoVA to Long Island, i can't help but want to maximize our efforts in the XC90.

my mindset currently is if we can completely free up the in-cabin space, that will make it less stuffy. Also, in the long run if we end up having a kid, those stroller thingys look like they're bigger than my golf bags ...lol -

For those familiar with these boxes, are any large enough to fit your standard size carry-on type airline luggage and if so, how many aproximately? Or are they primarily for duffle bags and other soft type luggage. Thanks all
      I have the Thule Sonic M (13 cu. ft) and can fit one of the larger rolling duffles, a City Versa stroller, a carry on and a smaller soft sided bag in it with the load distributed properly. I haven't used it on the XC90 yet but have several thousand miles under its belt on the other vehicles and it's not much louder than only the bars under 60 mph, above 75 and you definitely notice that it's up there. Nice thing about pano roofs is you can always keep an eye on things.
      17 Volvo XC90 T6 Inscription P*
      15 BMW 328d xDrive Sports Wagon M Sport
      15 Audi SQ5 Prestige

Yeah, I was quickly looking around Thules website last night and they offer so many sizes and various options for mounting etc, it's a lot to take in when not seriously considering one. I'll have to measure my luggage one evening for the heck of it and then look at various box dimensions. But seeing as how I'd literally only use it for this one trip, renting would be the way for me to go but then I'd have to see how big their box is.

I figure 5 of us with 5 carry-ons and a few back packs and a cooler should fit in the car and we'll have room left on top of everything to go straight up to the ceiling for the very small amount of stuff we bring home while down there.

We don't hate flying but it is becoming such a hassle I'm just done with the airlines, TSA etc. Their new game is even if your carry on luggage is within their guidelines they still want to stop you at the gate and have you put it in that stupid metal box to make sure it fits, holding you and others up for no reason. Meanwhile, people come walking on with luggage, more than 1 extra bag, neck pillows, and kid hanging off the mom's teat(!) and they don't get stopped. Not to mention we always get a bounce back free dining plan while down in Disney and end up bringing back so many left over 'snack options', it is more than we can fit to bring on the plane and in 2017 they're doubling the snacks each person gets per day.
      Currently Own:

Quote Originally Posted by ND40oz View Post
      I have the Thule Sonic M (13 cu. ft) and can fit one of the larger rolling duffles, a City Versa stroller, a carry on and a smaller soft sided bag in it with the load distributed properly. I haven't used it on the XC90 yet but have several thousand miles under its belt on the other vehicles and it's not much louder than only the bars under 60 mph, above 75 and you definitely notice that it's up there. Nice thing about pano roofs is you can always keep an eye on things.
      Oh wow, that's quite a bit. So it sounds like you might be able to fit 2 or 3 carry on luggages without the 2 duffle bags and stroller? 2 is good but 3 would honestly be amazing and more than I thought may fit. I think the hardest or rather the most unnerving thing for me would be the worry of it flying off never having used one before and not used to the sounds they apparently make at higher speeds, lol.
      Currently Own:

Oh wow, that's quite a bit. So it sounds like you might be able to fit 2 or 3 carry on luggages without the 2 duffle bags and stroller? 2 is good but 3 would honestly be amazing and more than I thought may fit. I think the hardest or rather the most unnerving thing for me would be the worry of it flying off never having used one before and not used to the sounds they apparently make at higher speeds, lol.
      When you see them installed on cars you don't get the feeling for how large they really are. This video does a good job of showing the size of the Thule Sonic M (he calls it the Large since Thule used to call it that but changed it to the M later on). I went with that size since I didn't want any front windshield overhang on the SQ5. I keep mine a little further back then where he mounts this one: https://www.etrailer.com/tv-review-t...q5-th634b.aspx

But yes, you could easily get 3 carry on pieces in it with plenty of room to spare, plus you can use a much larger box on the XC90 if you want. I've had it on there for sprints up to 90 mph and haven't had any issues but I try to keep it at 80 since that's what the list the max speeds as. They really aren't that loud, it's not like you need to speak up or anything to hold a conversation with passengers, you just know it's up there.
      15 Audi SQ5 Prestige

@ND4oz how do you get it to be perfectly in the middle? or does that not matter?

Also, do you suggest using the ceiling winch to get it up and off the car?

Even this Volvo low profile one is 68 lbs - once you start packing stuff, now we have an oblong object - and in my case it'll hold up to 120lbs worth of stuff .... (i don't know if that means 120lbs total meaning 60lbs of stuff or 68lbs+120lbs of stuff total.

Making me think I should buy the side steps...

Quote Originally Posted by eyeloveteeth View Post
      @ND4oz how do you get it to be perfectly in the middle? or does that not matter?

Also, do you suggest using the ceiling winch to get it up and off the car?

Even this Volvo low profile one is 68 lbs - once you start packing stuff, now we have an oblong object - and in my case it'll hold up to 120lbs worth of stuff .... (i don't know if that means 120lbs total meaning 60lbs of stuff or 68lbs+120lbs of stuff total.

Making me think I should buy the side steps...
      You'll need something to step on, or step onto the doorsill or whatchamacallit every time. I've got the Sonic XXL and I simply stand behind the car to line up the center of the box with the antenna on the car.

I highly recommend getting ceiling storage for it if possible, unless you're going to be using the box all the time. There's Thule's multilift for roof boxes specifically, but it's both more expensive and seems less strongly built than racor's ceiling rack, which is what I went for. I added padding around the horizontal bars to avoid scratching the box and car.

Post a pic when you have your setup... Always curious to see other roofbox combos on this car. So far the nicest looking setup I've seen was someone on this forum with the Sonic Dynamic 900. I would've gone for it except I needed the extra space. The right decision in the end for me - when the box is up, it's usually there when we're hauling a lot of crap.
      Last edited by whoami; 12-05-2016 at 10:38 AM.

you make a good point. I might Spray the bars with Plastidip and the underside of the box with Plastidip?

Just helping explain since you say this is your first roof rail/roof box. Why do you want to plastidip the underside of the box? All the Yakima/Thule rooftop boxes have clips on the underside of the box. Those clips are what attach the roof box to the roof rail crossbars. The actual underside of the box will never touch the ground/car, only the 4 clips will touch the crossbars (or the ground should you set the box on the ground). And since there are roof rails, the clips (nor the box) will never touch the roof of the car unless you slip and somehow the nose/butt of the roof box completely fall into the crossbar gap.

The keys that are mentioned are probably going to the be keys for locking the roof rails to the car and/or locking the box closed. If they are both OEM or Thule branded (since OEM is Thule), and if you want to only have one key that unlocks/locks both the roof rack and the box (instead of two separate keys), you can get new locking cores and switch them out so you only need one key for all. You can do it for OEM/Thule or Yakima brand too, but you cannot interchange between Yakima & Thule (e.g you can't have one key that does your Thule roof rack and Yakima box).

BTW, that roof box looks really nice! I have a Yakima Rocketbox 12 (the shorter/taller kind...I didn't need a ski length one since we don't ski)
      2016 XC90 T6 Momentum+ | Vision Package | Polestar | Crystal White Metallic/Charcoal interior (light beige headliner) - first Volvo and loving it!
      3M Driver/Passenger tint, clear paint protection film (full hood + front), Weather Tech mats (all 3 rows), OEM: 3 piece cargo tray, tow hitch, rear bumper strip, mud flaps, low profile roof rack

i only mentioned the plastidip because @whoami mentioned he added padding on the bars to prevent scratching?

@purpleorchid - THANKS for the info! greatly appreciated. I think this will be a great learning experience. I have no idea if the Volvo Designer Box is just a Thule rebrand, good to know. (too bad we can't change out the pins ourselves - when we moved I didn't trust anyone in the area so i learned how to repin all our house locks to one key lol)

But now that I think about it, I think i'd spray the roof racks black anyway to match the rest of the car? Actually since I saw that guy that blacked out the chrome trim i've been thinking about getting that done too

I know most people on this forum get really uppity about the look of their cars these days, but I've had roofboxes and have since switched to a hitchmount cargo box. I have a bad shoulder (and back) and roof boxes have always literally been a pain to mount and load and get things in and out of--and that has been on a wagon, which has a much lower roof than the XC90.

The cargobox solves all of that for me and on my XC70 almost doubles my storage capacity. In my car travel my family of four and two dogs and some smaller cargo. Everything else goes into the cargo carrier, which I can mount and dismount by myself with the help of a furniture dolly. I don't expect I will be using it as much with the XC90, as the dogs can easily split the space in back of the second row with cargo when needed.

I use the cargo carrier from Thule.
      2017 XC90 T6 Inscription (loaded w/ Polestar), Osmium/Amber
      Previous: 2009 XC70 T6 AWD, 2005 V50 T5 AWD, various Saabs

yes, we looked at that too actually @etherfarm - but wife didn't like the way it looked.

update - Mike Bernardo in TRUE Steingold performance already has gotten back to me. Instead of shipping to their dealership and then back to me. (which means he won't get to inspect it) - he's having it drop shipped directly to my place, which means i should see this in about a week.

1. Steingold honestly...just has made such a great name for themselves. Reminds me of the Audi dealer out in LA that had blown up back in the day with their parts store. I honestly would buy everything from Steingold if I could.

2. Excited as this will give me some time to plan this out and try it on a few times, get the ceiling mount i like (thank you Amazon prime / return policies).

Will post pics when they come up.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BNMv5bFg...=andie_the_lab
      Last edited by eyeloveteeth; 12-05-2016 at 12:16 PM.

The size of the box and your comfort level moving it around will probably help you decide if you want/need a winch for it. The Sonic M is small enough for me to handle on my own, but a longer box would definitely make it a little tougher. Loading I just stand on the doorsills.

Like @whoami said, just stand behind it and eyeball it for getting things centered, they typically come to a point in the front and back for aero purposes and you can use that to help. You also don't actually have to center it, you could put it on one side and put ski's or a snowboard on the other side if you had more stuff to carry.

In regards to the keys like @Purpleorchid was talking about, Volvo sells the Thule lock kit, you get 6 of them all keyed the same and then replace the ones on your bars and box. There is a universal key that let you remove the cylinder once they are unlocked and you just pop the new cylinders in. Part # 31330898. It was cheaper going through Volvo then going through Thule for it, but YMMV.
      15 Audi SQ5 Prestige

I meant padding on the bars of the racor lift, as those are metal bars.

Ohhhhhh haha thanks for clarification. I may paint it black for solidarity anyway

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@eyeloveteeth - I would wait for your box to arrive before you buy the Thule key cores (if you were thinking about getting one key to control both the roofrack + box). Once you get the roof rack, unlock the foot cap and under the plastic foot cover that comes off, you will see the word "Thule" printed on it in small letters. That will be your reference.

Then look for the same type of printing on that Designer Edition box (maybe on the inside by the latch?). If you find "Thule" printed on it, then the box is actually a rebranded Thule too and you should be able to rekey the box. If not, then Volvo really did make their own box like the Steingold description says.

You can also doublecheck by the keys. If they are the same serial number (e.g. N004 and N004), then you are already set with one key being able to handle both the rack and the box! If the keys are different serial numbers (e.g. N004 and N006), then they are different key cores, but most likely able to be re-cored as ND40oz described above. You use the blank key, and it will allow you to remove the core, then you stick the new core in and voila, you have just rekeyed all your 6 locks in less than 15 minutes.

Then you sell your cores+keys that you removed to someone else who wants to put a lock on their Thule stuff.
      2016 XC90 T6 Momentum+ | Vision Package | Polestar | Crystal White Metallic/Charcoal interior (light beige headliner) - first Volvo and loving it!
      3M Driver/Passenger tint, clear paint protection film (full hood + front), Weather Tech mats (all 3 rows), OEM: 3 piece cargo tray, tow hitch, rear bumper strip, mud flaps, low profile roof rack

Wait. Does the roof box lock? I just read the product description fully and it didn't mention anything about locks/keys, so does this box even lock? If it doesn't, then all my advice is not helpful.

@purpleorchid I guess we will find out! Haha.

But thank you. Can't wait to receive this and see what it's like.

If it's like everything else Volvo then it'll be wonderfully over engineered - which I love

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just got back from Disney again. This is my box on wife's XC60 on a previous trip. It's a Thule Atlantis XT. I think it's 13 cuft - similar to their Sonic Medium. It is deceptively huge inside. Put it on XC90 this time. Box has been to Disney 10+ times now. It can fit 2 strollers, 2 big duffels, and 8-10 small softish bags.
      Last edited by Kighter; 12-06-2016 at 10:15 AM.
      2017 Volvo XC90 T8 Inscription, Osmium Grey, Convenience, Vision, B&W, Air Susp, 22s
      2010 Volvo XC60 R-Design, Sapphire Black, Climate, Convenience, Multimedia
      2014 Honda Odyssey Touring Elite, White Diamond Pearl (Sold)
      2004 Acura TSX, Satin Silver, 6MT, Nav (Sold)
      2006 Audi A3, Silver, Climate, Premium Pkg, Convenience, Nav, Bose, Open Sky (Sold)

Well the box hasn't arrived yet, but i'm amazed by Steingold....put the order in over the weekend. I have the roof rails here already today.

I've never owned a cargo box but this thread has some great information on it. Two questions:

1. Why wouldn't you mount the rooftop box on one side, say it if opened on the left then closer to the driver side, so that you could access it more easily? Besides looking asymmetric, is there any harm to doing this?

2. The tow-mount cargo box: doesn't it hamper rear view camera and cause incessant parking sensor warnings?
      2016 XC90 Momentum Plus T6, Convenience, Vision, Climate, HUD

Quote Originally Posted by hankdfw View Post
      I've never owned a cargo box but this thread has some great information on it. Two questions:

1. Why wouldn't you mount the rooftop box on one side, say it if opened on the left then closer to the driver side, so that you could access it more easily? Besides looking asymmetric, is there any harm to doing this?

2. The tow-mount cargo box: doesn't it hamper rear view camera and cause incessant parking sensor warnings?
      Some boxes are narrow so you make sense, especially if you also add a bike or kayak rack. Other boxes are too wide to add a second rack so centred looks best. The wider boxes lock/open from both sides so it's easier to pack using both sides depending what you are loading into the box.

also from an aerodynamic perspective, i'd imagine we'd want it as centered as possible or else cross winds are probably a b!tch.

ok, so i was just curious. Why are the roof racks for the non-footrails taller than the roof racks that are designed for the foot rails?

(by the way this is what came from steingold for me today)

http://accessories.volvocars.com/en-...CC-491482/2016

vs

http://accessories.volvocars.com/en-...CC-491534/2016

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast