Designer Edition Roof Box - Page 2
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
      Quote Originally Posted by hankdfw View Post
      The tow-mount cargo box: doesn't it hamper rear view camera and cause incessant parking sensor warnings?
      Yes, it obstructs the rear view camera. No parking sensor warnings on my current car; don't know about the XC90 yet.

But no noise whatsoever, easy mount/dismount and even easier load/unload, minimal (if any) impact on fuel economy: no brainer for me. I get that people might not like the look of the hitch mount cargo boxes but I sorta feel like any prosthesis on a car is going to look odd (the roof boxes only look marginally better to me) and ease of use becomes the deciding factor for me. I also use a hitchmount bike rack for the same reason.

Basically we use the cargo box every once in a while to bring stuff to a vacation home, take it off, then put it back on for the journey home. It's 100% perfect for that. If we were traveling around a city or something I don't know that I'd want to park or navigate congested areas with it hanging off the back, but we've never done that.
      2017 XC90 T6 Inscription (loaded w/ Polestar), Osmium/Amber
      Previous: 2009 XC70 T6 AWD, 2005 V50 T5 AWD, various Saabs

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by eyeloveteeth View Post
      ok, so i was just curious. Why are the roof racks for the non-footrails taller than the roof racks that are designed for the foot rails?
      Isn't the clearance between the top of the sunroof and the bottom of the mounted load bars the same in both cases?
      2017 XC90 T8 Inscription (OSD) · Black & amber · B&W · Vision · Convenience · Air suspension · Heated rear · s/w update 05/17/17

Quote Originally Posted by Trevlig View Post
      Isn't the clearance between the top of the sunroof and the bottom of the mounted load bars the same in both cases?
      i have no idea. so why is one for foot rails and one isnt?
      just some cars...but for this forum:
      2016 Onyx Black Metallic XC90 T6 Inscription w/Amber
      Convenience, Vision, B&W, 4C Air, Climate, Center Booster, Protection Package
      Added: P*, PAII, Mudguards, Roof Rack, Volvo Designer Edition Roof Box, Cargo liner

i have no idea. so why is one for foot rails and one isnt?
      To provide clearance for sunroof operation, the integrated rail version (Inscription and R-Design) has to be taller than the foot rail version (Momentum).

Well, that's my guess.
      2017 XC90 T8 Inscription (OSD) · Black & amber · B&W · Vision · Convenience · Air suspension · Heated rear · s/w update 05/17/17

omg, @Trevlig, I did not realize this at all.... yes you're right... R and Inscription models have rails that are flush and not raised..... momentum models have raised rails.

Added: P*, PAII, Mudguards, Roof Rack, Volvo Designer Edition Roof Box, Cargo liner

And if you ask me, the feet of the Momentum roof rack look better than the Inscription/R rails since they look a little cleaner installed than the chunky feet of the Inscription/R roof rack feet.

However, for bare roof when no roof rack is installed, the flush rails look better.
      2016 XC90 T6 Momentum+ | Vision Package | Polestar | Crystal White Metallic/Charcoal interior (light beige headliner) - first Volvo and loving it!
      3M Driver/Passenger tint, clear paint protection film (full hood + front), Weather Tech mats (all 3 rows), OEM: 3 piece cargo tray, tow hitch, rear bumper strip, mud flaps, low profile roof rack

Sounds like the box will be arriving by this week. (again kudos to Steingold for just being SO on TOP of things).......

I think the volvo box is a rebranded Thule for sure. I just cannot figure out if it's a rebranded Dynamic 900 or Excellence XT....

The safety qualifications and size seem to match the Excellence XT (not to mention the price).

But the Dynamic 900 looks so much more streamlined as does the Volvo one.

i take it back...just watched the Excellence XT video...this is most definitely what the Volvo one is. Even down to the LED lights and Net. Kinda excited to get this and try it out.

Does anyone see any reason I shouldn't plastidip the roofrails black? (just thinking of scratch prevention even, or even better grip?)
      Last edited by eyeloveteeth; 12-07-2016 at 09:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GTSquared View Post
      Looks nice but pretty small at 12.6 cubic feet of space for what it costs. We have the Yakima Carbonite Lo for $450. It has 15 cubic feet of space and looks decent due to it's low profile. Big enough for overnight bags, skis and snowboards.

Add LED lights for $7

https://www.amazon.com/Fulcrum-30010...attery+Powered
      GTSquared do you have any pictures? I'm trying to decide between the SkyBox Lo and the 18. Is the Lo enough space for skis, poles and gear for 4? Also any issues with the rear hatch opening all the way?

also from an aerodynamic perspective, i'd imagine we'd want it as centered as possible or else cross winds are probably a b!tch.

ok, so i was just curious. Why are the roof racks for the non-footrails taller than the roof racks that are designed for the foot rails?
      Cross wind impacts are increased regardless of box placement, but you get used to it.

The feet give you the exact clearance need for the sunroof not to be negatively impacted.

The cross bars you ordered are great. I've had them on the car since I took delivery and never bother removing them, its like they aren't even there and they blend in quite nicely.
      2016 XC90 R Design, Osmium Gray, 4C Air, Invisihitch, Polestar

Quote Originally Posted by DanStrayer View Post
      GTSquared do you have any pictures? I'm trying to decide between the SkyBox Lo and the 18. Is the Lo enough space for skis, poles and gear for 4? Also any issues with the rear hatch opening all the way?
      I'll post a pic later as I've not yet had this box on our T8. It has the same foot print as the larger Yakima boxes, just not the height. Skis and stuff for four is fine. It is tall enough for typical carry-on rollers as well in the centre.
      Here it is on my VW. Hatch opens just fine.
      2016 XC90 T8 R Bursting Blue w/ Vision, Climate & B&W

Wow, so they are here. Unfortunately I won't be able to tackle this project till the weekend. But I am definitely Plastippojg the underside (not for the car) just for moving it around. The box is taller than me...I'll definitely have to get a ceiling rack system just to keep this out of the way. It's also really heavy, no way you're putting a full load in the car with one person, unless it's already mounted on the car.

For reference this is a full sized lab....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow, so they are here. Unfortunately I won't be able to tackle this project till the weekend. But I am definitely Plastippojg the underside (not for the car) just for moving it around. The box is taller than me...
      Beautiful dog! The cargo box looks nice too :-)

If it is not too much trouble, while you still have the box on the garage floor, would you mind filling it with some suitcases / carryons, or whatever luggage you have handy and post a picture?

The ski/skateboard capacity is published. But I have a hard time guessing how much luggage I can have in the box for non-ski road trips. A picture with the box filled with stuff will help me a lot.

Thanks

lol thanks.

didn't have much time to do much more today and am traveling for work. Will have to take photos over the weekend. It's definitely just a redesign of the Excellence XT. Opens up on both sides, LED light is in the middle though, probably will get it XPEL wrapped or at least get some sort of nanoceramic coating on it for protection / stay shiny.

will post photos this weekend when its up

so looking at stuff online since what else is there to do in a hotel? lol

http://steingoldvolvo.ecrater.com/p/...words=lock+set

this is what i would need to buy to convert all the keys to 1 key?

interesting, I thought this was a thule but Mike Bernardo said they are different. Not the end of the world but definitely really intriguing. I swore it was a thule.

interesting, I thought this was a thule but Mike Bernardo said they are different. Not the end of the world but definitely really intriguing. I swore it was a thule.
      Do the keys have an N000 number on them? If so, it's Thule.
      17 Volvo XC90 T6 Inscription P*
      15 BMW 328d xDrive Sports Wagon M Sport
      15 Audi SQ5 Prestige

... It's definitely just a redesign of the Excellence XT.
      Their shapes and external design seem quite different though.

Did you take a look on the inside to see if there was a small imprint of "Thule" in the molding yet? If the roof racks have it imprinted into the foot covers, I am assuming Thule would also imprint the boxes too somewhere.
      2016 XC90 T6 Momentum+ | Vision Package | Polestar | Crystal White Metallic/Charcoal interior (light beige headliner) - first Volvo and loving it!
      3M Driver/Passenger tint, clear paint protection film (full hood + front), Weather Tech mats (all 3 rows), OEM: 3 piece cargo tray, tow hitch, rear bumper strip, mud flaps, low profile roof rack

The fooot track system will give it away. It could be an Inno? I'd be really surprised if they went away from Thule.
      2016 XC90 T8 R Bursting Blue w/ Vision, Climate & B&W

yeah the connections to the roof rack seems to be a thule. I'll inspect it when i get home.

Well I can't try it on the car as the wife brought it to Don Beyer Dulles and we won't get it back until Tues. Apparently they need to replace the VoC unit? Very strange to me. Will call and get more details Monday.

Here is a picture of the box clamp system. calix?

And the keys

So doesn't seem to be a thule.

Definitely gonna either get it coated in Modesto or wrapped. The finish of the box is begging for scratches to run to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Has anyone used this roof box, on Momentum rails, and opened their sunroof? Does it clear? It looks like the crossbar clamps for the roof box might interfere with sunroof operation. I've measured crudely, and it looks like a very close call. I'd be afraid to try it and find out it doesn't clear - might scratch the glass or worse.

Does anyone even own this roof box with a Momentum & stock crossbars? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by mzeee View Post
      Does anyone even own this roof box with a Momentum & stock crossbars? Thanks.
      I do not. To be clear though, there are two types of Volvo-branded crossbars - low profile and standard. Here in the US, neither are standard.

I have the low "wing profile" bars, part 31408915.

27. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2