Climate control fan on while parked?
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to SwedeSpeed
    You're currently browsing Swedespeed as a guest. Please sign up or sign in and take part in the conversation with other Volvo owners and enthusiasts. With more 2 million posts our community is one of the most active groups of Volvo owners in the world. Take a moment to sign up and enjoy all of the features our forums have to offer.

Climate control fan on while parked?

My wife told me that today she came home, parked the car, and went inside. She came out a while later and heard the climate control fan running at a high speed. It was a hot day, and she had been running the A\C, and I seem recall reading somewhere that the system may do that to dry the Evaporator coil off. (which is a great idea!). Is this what was happening? if so, when does it happen and how long is it supposed to run? She seemed to think that she had been home for quite a while when she noticed it.

Re: Climate control fan on while parked? (Schock)

Quote, originally posted by Schock »
      My wife told me that today she came home, parked the car, and went inside. She came out a while later and heard the climate control fan running at a high speed. It was a hot day, and she had been running the A\C, and I seem recall reading somewhere that the system may do that to dry the Evaporator coil off. (which is a great idea!). Is this what was happening? if so, when does it happen and how long is it supposed to run? She seemed to think that she had been home for quite a while when she noticed it.

See page 47 (I think) of your owners manual. If you are hearing a fan running shortly after shutdown, it is the condensor/radiator fan.
      According to Volvo documentation, the evaporator fan or what they call the "passenger compartment blower" only comes on approximately 50 minutes after ignition is off, and runs for 5 minutes.

Having used the A/C on a hot day will definitely activate this feature.

Yannis

2001 Volvo V70 T5 M SR, Classic Red/Graphite Lthr, TME Stage II ECU, 3" Downpipe w/ Cat-back exhaust from MTE, Volvo Roadholding & Lowering Kit w/ Nivomats, 17" PEGASUS, Rear Spoiler, Dolby Surround Sound
      2014 Volvo XC60 R-design, Crystal White Pearl, Climate/Platinum/Enhanced BLIS/Connected Touch/RSE/Front Blindview Camera Polestar+software325 HP, 354 lbs/ft

Re: Climate control fan on while parked? (GrecianVolvo)

Quote, originally posted by GrecianVolvo »

only comes on approximately 50 minutes after ignition is off, and runs for 5 minutes.

Runs for over a half hour (ALL my cars)
      Email: jrl1194(at)aol.com
      If the subject is car purchase related please use jrl1194(at)gmail.com
      2006 XC70 White/Black 58K miles, new daily driver
      2000 V70R wife's. Won't sell, now 120K miles and still perfect
      1994 Lincoln Continental. In concours condition with low miles.

Re: Climate control fan on while parked? (JRL)

Yeah, I watched for it today, and it definitely ran for more than 5 minutes. I guess it is their way of dealing with the corroding evaporator coil problems their older models had.