Service Light reset procedures for different Volvo's.
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to SwedeSpeed
    You're currently browsing Swedespeed as a guest. Please sign up or sign in and take part in the conversation with other Volvo owners and enthusiasts. With more 2 million posts our community is one of the most active groups of Volvo owners in the world. Take a moment to sign up and enjoy all of the features our forums have to offer.
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Service Light reset procedures for different Volvo's.

Just found this....but applies to so many Volvo's that I thought this might be the best place to post this.

http://www.gendan.co.uk/diagno...lvo_s

Volvo 1999-2000 - S / V / C70 Models
      * Press and Hold odometer reset button
      * Turn ignition switch to "run" position
      * After SRL flashes, release odometer reset button
      * Turn ignition off
      * Turn ignition back on to confirm reset

Volvo 1998 - S80 Models
      * Turn ignition switch to position 1
      * Press and hold the odometer reset button
      * Turn ignition switch to position 2
      * Wait until service light blinks and then release odometer button

Volvo 1999-2000 - S80 Models
      * Turn ignition switch to position 1
      * Press and hold "day counter reset button"
      * Turn ignition switch to position 2
      * Continue holding day counter for approx. 10 seconds
      * After SRL flashes, release day counter button
      * Should hear "beep-beep" to confirm command accepted

Volvo 2001 - XC 70 Models
      * The following steps must be completed with no longer than 5 seconds between each step:
      * Make sure the trip meter is in T-1
      * Turn ignition key to position 1
      * Press and hold trip meter button until zero is shown
      * While still holding the trip meter, turn key to position 2
      * When original trip mileage returns, release the trip reset button
      * Turn key to off

Re: Service Light reset procedures for different Volvo's. (Chris@Swedespeed)

Resetting the service reminder indicator (SRI)
      Hint: The indicator can also be reset using VADIS vehicle communication.
      VADIS -- Resetting the Service reminder indicator (SRI), S60

MY 2001
      The service reminder indicator (SRI) informs the driver that it is time for the car to be serviced. The lamp remains lit for 120 seconds when the ignition is switched on.
      Note! If the lamp flashes, it may be because one of the service parameters has not been programmed.
      Proceed as follows to reset the service reminder indicator (SRI):
      -Ignition position I
      -Press and hold in the reset button for the trip odometer
      -Ignition position II
      -The service reminder indicator (SRI) starts flashing when the reset button for the trip odometer has been pressed for 10 seconds
      -Release the reset button for the trip odometer within 5 seconds. The instrument gives an audible signal when resetting has succeeded.
      Note! If the trip meter reset button is not released within 5 seconds the indicator is not reset. However the indicator will stop flashing.

MY 2002+
      The service reminder indicator (SRI) informs the driver that it is time for the car to be serviced. The text message is displayed for 120 s each time the ignition is switched on.
      -Ignition position I
      -Ignition position II.
      Note! Turn the key to position II within 2 seconds.
      -Hold the reset button for the trip meter pressed in until the original value has been reset.
      Note! For all vehicles from the 2003 model year a general yellow lamp will light when the reset button must be released.
      -Release the reset button for the trip odometer within 4 seconds. The instrument gives an audible signal when resetting has succeeded
      -If the trip meter is already reset the reset button should be held in for a minimum of 10 seconds and a maximum of 14 seconds.
      Note! If the reset button for the trip odometer is not released within 4 seconds, the service reminder indicator (SRI) is not reset.

2001 S60 2.4t Ash Gold/Charcoal, 183,000+ miles and going strong.

Re: Service Light reset procedures for different Volvo's. (EBender1965)

Just for some extra info....if you have an older 850...you will need an SRI reset tool to plug into the OBDII connection.
      Bob Kennedy
      University Volvo OSD Mgr
      Charlotte NC
      VOLVO FOR LIFE
      http://www.universityvolvo.com/volvo...as-program.htm

Re: Service Light reset procedures for different Volvo's. (universityvolvoOSD)

Quote, originally posted by universityvolvoOSD »
      Just for some extra info....if you have an older 850...you will need an SRI reset tool to plug into the OBDII connection.

Not really....for older 850's...you can use the service box under the hood (as per Bay13 and from experience). The SRI reset tool applies to '86 and '87 850's as well as '98 S/V/XC/C 70's.

Global Moderator

Re: Service Light reset procedures for different Volvo's. (MadeInJapan)

I would go ahead and post the info (that link could disappear). For a '04 XC90:
      To reset the service light, Turn the key to pos 1 hold the odo reset button. While holding the button, turn the key to pos 2. Wait until the yellow triangle flashes and release the button. Light is now reset.

On my '06 S60 it was a little different.. I toyed with the same method that everyone else used for earlier models, but that didn't quite work : you don't see the odo reset back from zero... basically you have to hold it in while in II until the moment that the warning light flashes.. on the 3rd or 4th blink, I released, and that reset the light. Took a bit of messing around for me to figure that one out (and a couple of days of giving up, followed by "argh I want to reset this", and me trying it again differently hehe).

What's the procedure for 1998 S70 SE w/ 2.5 non-turbo? I just got an oil change from a local speed shop but they didn't know how to reset the service light. Thanks.

Global Moderator

Re: (Jaspher)

Re: (gdill2)

thanks for the info.

Global Moderator

Re: (Jaspher)

http://www.brickboard.com/ARCH...shtml

BrickBoard Archives
      The files contained in this listing have been automatically archived from the active forums. Because the vast majority of posts are now in one place, this archive is considered legacy. You should use the SEARCH feature OR choose your topic and select date tabs within the forum you choose.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Service Reminder Light Reset Notes[ALL/1988] posted by Dave Stevens on
      Sunday, 18 January 1998, at 3:55 a.m.

Based on notes from assorted sources, I've finally tried to come up with a summary of the service reminder light reset methods for various Volvo models and years in the hopes that this might be the last thread on the subject:

'88-'89 240 (5000mi/8000km) ... lift up reset lever on back of instrument cluster (behind 9 o'clock position on back of speedo); simplest access is by removing under dash panel and reaching up; Hint: lying upside down under the dash with a flashlight may be simplest the first time

'90-on 240, '87 760, '87-'90 740/780 (5000mi/8000km) ... push in reset button on back of instrument cluster (behind and just above rightmost idiot light); 240 access can either be from under dash as above or by removing instrument cluster; 740/760 with air bags (SRS knee bolster) requires removal of instrument cluster to access; Hint: carefully slide plastic covers off to reveal instrument cluster mounting screws; Caution: when removing instrument cluster do not pull on wires connected to fragile circuit board on back

'88-on 760, '89-on 740/940 with old-style OBD(I) system (5000mi/8000km) ... push in reset button behind rubber grommet on face of instrument cluster (lower left); Caution: when replacing rubber grommet do not poke all the way through the hole into no man's land (subtract one Brick Badge point)

'92-'95 850 with old-style OBD(I) system (9300mi/1500km, 12months or 750hrs) ... with ignition on, reset at diagnostic unit under hood (right side forward) using push button to enter function code 4 then reset code 1-5-1 (morse code style holding button <1sec for each count, pause <1sec between counts, pause 3-5 seconds between digits, pause 5-10 seconds before/after function code)

'96-on 850/70/90 with new-style OBDII system (9300mi/15000km, 12months or 750hrs) ... reset by going to your nearest Volvo service centre and making a new friend; your new friend will do the reset with a Volvo Scan Tool system tester ($$$$ if you want to buy it) which connects to the interior OBDII diagnostic socket; IPD has an aftermarket reset tool for 850's only (an OBDII compliant connector with Volvo 850 reset code), but at U$300 it's pretty expensive for just this one trick; other aftermarket OBDII units (including advertised PC based systems) will normally only be able to perform the basic US-EPA compliant diagnostic functions on a Volvo. EPA standards do not include service reminder reset (this is part of the Volvo proprietary OBDII extended codes and diagnostic procedures). If you have no other choice and feel you have to defeat the OBDII reminder system then do it by removing the warning bulb (subtract 10 points from your Brick Badge).

up to '87 740/240 ... post-it note on rear view mirror is your service reminder

up to '74 140 ... putting key in ignition and having all dash lights come on is your service reminder

up to '68 120/540 ... having oil pressure warning light coming on as you round a corner is your service reminder light; reset by topping up with oil from pan that you keep under your parked car

Notes:
      -These reset procedures are for the SERVICE warning lamp (time to change the oil) not the CHECK ENGINE lamp (time to consult with your mechanic) which indicates that a possible component failure or unusual running condition has been detected by the EFI computer.
      -The service reminder light will come on for about 2 minutes after starting the engine once the counter reaches the service interval. Actually it starts coming on about 200 miles before the interval as an early warning.
      -240 EGR/LAMBDA service reminder reset (US-California market only?) ... EGR valve (15,000mi) or Lambda Sond oxygen sensor (30,000mi) service reminder lights on 240's so equipped are reset with a push button on the back of the little counter box located above the driver's left knee (there's a short slave speedo cable from it to the back of the instrument cluster); Hint: if you turn your ignition on and there's no EGR or SOND warning lamp then you don't need to know this.
      -Service lights are set for the maximum recommended routine service intervals. When you perform service, remember to reset the counter at the same time whether or not the reminder lamp was coming on.

If any of the above information is incorrect or incomplete, please add to this thread for future reference. In the literature I've noted a number of inconsistencies in correlating model years to the above. Variations are probably VIN range specific (production date, market code, etc.).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Re: Service Reminder Light Reset Notes[ALL/1988] posted by Jim Bradley on
      Sunday, 18 January 1998, at 9:53 a.m.

My '89 780 Turbo w/air bag resets through the rubber grommet hole in the face of the cluster. I don't know if the 6 cyl. is different, but the B230FT uses the procedure described for '88-on 760 and '89-on 740/940. Thanks for compiling this info.

Re: Service Reminder Light Reset Notes[ALL/1988] posted by MARK H on
      Sunday, 18 January 1998, at 9:26 p.m.

Thanks Dave Stevens: I know that was alot of work! I prefer the pre 68 method of reseting the light, I used it my self on my 140.Now I own a $300.00 reset tool that has to be sent in every year to be up dated to work on every new model year.I hate it; this is Volvo trying to make customers go back to the dealer. I feel this is going to back fire on Volvo and the dealers.When I was at the dealer as a mechanic I forgot to reset the service light maybe once or twice a week.That is with the reset button right in front of your face. I like the service light reminder but keep it simple. What happen to maintance free low cost services. It is more complicated and expensive to reset the light then doing a oil change. Every customer that comes through the door at my shop wants to know if we can turn this light off.When I say, yes! they fell like they have been unleashed from the dealer. (Dealer loses a customer I gain a customer.)

Re: Service Reminder Light Reset Notes[ALL/1988] posted by Henry T. Mui on
      Monday, 19 January 1998, at 2:51 p.m.

Thanks! Dave,

The 88'-on 760, 89'-on 740/940 with old style OBD (1) system you need to push the button with the engine and ignition system off! Other than that It's all correct!

Re: Service Reminder Light Reset Notes[ALL/1988] posted by Paul Elliott on
      Thursday, 22 January 1998, at 9:16 a.m.

I have a '95 850 Turbo, and use the method you list, and is confirmed in both the Haines manual, and Volvo srvc literature...However, my documentation, including owners manual, etc, states that this car *is* fully OBDII, not OBDI as you indicate.

Re: Service Light reset procedures for different Volvo's.

Does anyone know if this can procedure can be used to reset the message for a blown bulb on a 2002 S60 2.4t? Even though I've replaced the bulb, the orange light and the "Position bulb fault" message still remains on.

Thanks,
      Ihsan

No, it will not reset the bulb failure light....only if the bulb truly works will the light reset on its own. I figure that one of your brake lights is out and you don't know it because you can't see if from the driver's seat. Have someone step on the brake pedal as you look at the tail lights. Another issue common to Volvo's is that the bulb socket itself gets corroded. If this is the case, try a little sand paper to the metal socket and see it this helps turn the bulb on and the dash light out. Good luck.

Re: (MadeInJapan)

Thanks,

The trouble is, it is one of the licence plate lights and it's a bit difficult to sand it. I checked the brake lights with help and they're all working. Thanks again.

Ihsan

Global Moderator

Re: (genie)

Replace BOTH license plate bulbs with two new ones from the SAME package.

George Dill

does anyone know the procedure to reset the service light on a 2000 XC70? Thanks

Re: Service Light Reset Help (jonathankopp)

Quote, originally posted by jonathankopp »
      does anyone know the procedure to reset the service light on a 2000 XC70? Thanks

Umm.....an XC70 is a V70 thus:

Quote, originally posted by MadeInJapan »
      Volvo 1999-2000 - S / V / C70 Models
      * Press and Hold odometer reset button
      * Turn ignition switch to "run" position
      * After SRL flashes, release odometer reset button
      * Turn ignition off
      * Turn ignition back on to confirm reset
      2011 Audi S4 - Imola Yellow/Black Alcantara
      2004 S60R 6MT - Passion Red/Nordkap (sold)
      2009 RAV4 Sport V6 - Classic Silver/Charcoal

Re: Service Light Reset Help (MagoonR)

I guess, if the XC70 is the same as the V70, that makes sense. And if so, many thanks for the clarificaiton. But that same entry original posting by MadeInJapan includes a separate set of instructions for the 2001 XC70, thus my confusion about the procedure for my 2000 XC70. See what i mean?

Because the 2001 is the new design and there is no mention of the S/V70? Dunno.

Re: Service Light Reset Help (MagoonR)

That makes sense. Hey, on a related note, I tried resetting the service button with bad instructions the other day, but i caused the service light to flash 7 times. Any idea what that means? Thanks again for the help.

Quote, originally posted by jonathankopp »
      That makes sense. Hey, on a related note, I tried resetting the service button with bad instructions the other day, but i caused the service light to flash 7 times. Any idea what that means? Thanks again for the help.

I believe it means that your car will self destruct in 500 miles.

I just reset the service light on a 99V70 XC by holding down the odometer reset button, with the key off, then turning on the ignition to the run position, when the service light started to flash, I let up on the button, then quickly pressed it twice, pressed it, I just tried this as a fluke as the instructions someone posted for a 2001 didn't work, It worked. try it on the 2000 Good luck.

what about a 05 t5?

Try the method for the '02+
      MY 2002+
      The service reminder indicator (SRI) informs the driver that it is time for the car to be serviced. The text message is displayed for 120 s each time the ignition is switched on.
      -Ignition position I
      -Ignition position II.
      Note! Turn the key to position II within 2 seconds.
      -Hold the reset button for the trip meter pressed in until the original value has been reset.
      Note! For all vehicles from the 2003 model year a general yellow lamp will light when the reset button must be released.
      -Release the reset button for the trip odometer within 4 seconds. The instrument gives an audible signal when resetting has succeeded
      -If the trip meter is already reset the reset button should be held in for a minimum of 10 seconds and a maximum of 14 seconds.
      Note! If the reset button for the trip odometer is not released within 4 seconds, the service reminder indicator (SRI) is not reset.

This is what my fiance found out for the S40:

Turn the ignition switch to 1
      Hold down the trip odometer reset button until it flashes 3 times (usually 10-15 seconds).
      Turn key off, wait 1 second, start the engine and you're done.

Re: (Becca)

Quote, originally posted by Becca »
      This is what my fiance found out for the S40:

Turn the ignition switch to 1
      Hold down the trip odometer reset button until it flashes 3 times (usually 10-15 seconds).
      Turn key off, wait 1 second, start the engine and you're done.

Is that a good thing or a bad thing?

Interesting question. It's a good thing it this will reset your service light! If it won't, then it's not such a good thing for you. More importantly, are you doing the maintenance on your car, especially changing the oil before resetting your own light.

I need to reset the service indicator on my 2007 XC90. I tried the odo button and the triangle flashes 3x but the indicator doesn't reset.

I had the service done 500 mi. early; please help! TIA

2007 XC90 Sport -- Electric Silver

2012 Dodge Charger R/T Road and Track: Cop tires, cop shocks, cop suspension

Global Moderator

Re: (nat_tex)

Global Moderator

Global Moderator

Old but good...

http://caunter.ca/volvo960/cg14828.pdf

George Dill

Is there any way to reset the service light for an 87 740 GLE? I was told by the dealer that you have to remove the enire dash to get to the reset button. Is that correct? Sounds like a strange place for a reset button. Any help would be appreciated.

Global Moderator

Re: Service Light reset procedures for different Volvo's. (APowell3)

Global Moderator

Re: Service Light reset procedures for different Volvo's. (gdill2)

Along with service light reset problems the question of wiring also usually arises so here are wiring diagrams for many Volvo models compliments of MadeInJapan (David Emanuel).

http://volvo.techno.org.pl/wiring-diagrams.html

George Dill

I have the same brake light problem with my 2001 S40. I've tried replacing the brake lights a couple times but the brake light failure light on the dash will not clear. I don't know if the bulbs are bad, bad fuse or something else. Help anyone?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast