Can 16" wheels look cool?
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Can 16" wheels look cool?

Is it possible to have 16" wheels and still be cool?

Thinking about going to a 16" wheel from 17" for ride comfort, but I am feeling pretty attached to my 17" Saggitas. They're damn sexy!!!

But seriously, the selection for 16's is definitely much much smaller and much less interesting...

someone prove me wrong!

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Sorry, no.
      98 V70 AWD - lowered on TME springs, Koni, IPD ECU, Volvo Dual Exhaust ... RIP
      05 V70 AWD - Got tired of the high rear end sticking up. SOLD
      98 V70R AWD - Bilstein touring fronts, Eurosport Tuning Dual Exhaust, lowered. SOLD
      05 V70 2.5T Sport Edition - current baby.
      09 Suzuki Gladius 650cc

I was gonna say... it's hard to rock 16's on this car without it looking like a grandma car. My friend just swapped his old 16's with my old Sagitta's and it makes a world of difference.

Just go for 17.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Go with 14" wheels, massive tire side walls, and you'll have something interesting

Ultimately it all depends what you do with it and around it, but it is definitely much harder to pull it off with 16" on these cars, due to the fender and fender gap proportion. Most likely it will just look like an everyday car or a bad attempt at being unique.
      Most of the time, one can't avoid compromises with car dynamics.

But hey I don't mind being shown it can be done...
      T5 S40 Greg (05) > 1. 2. 3. | Kenwood interface |Viva 3"DP |EST exhaust |RICA stage 2+ |EST trust brace |Elevate sway bar |Bell black FMIC | intake pipe |IPD TCV |H&R 1.4 down |IPD front end-links |Focus tran mount |BERN 18x8 on Michelin pilot super sp 225x40 |Bilstein 8 SP struts and shocks |Powerslot rotors |StopTech 309 pads |Custom Boost gauge |Lettering relocation head+rear lights cut vinyl |

It can be done!

Logan

2015 S60 T6 AWD R-Design Polestar
      2008 S40 2.4i - hers
      2013 C30 Polestar Limited Edition #87/250 - (former) | 2005 V50 T5 AWD (former)

Those are oversized tires, correct?
      T5 S40 Greg (05) > 1. 2. 3. | Kenwood interface |Viva 3"DP |EST exhaust |RICA stage 2+ |EST trust brace |Elevate sway bar |Bell black FMIC | intake pipe |IPD TCV |H&R 1.4 down |IPD front end-links |Focus tran mount |BERN 18x8 on Michelin pilot super sp 225x40 |Bilstein 8 SP struts and shocks |Powerslot rotors |StopTech 309 pads |Custom Boost gauge |Lettering relocation head+rear lights cut vinyl |

Quote Originally Posted by TG View Post
      Those are oversized tires, correct?
      Yeah, pretty sure I remember them being a bit large. But they still fit!
      Logan

2015 S60 T6 AWD R-Design Polestar
      2008 S40 2.4i - hers
      2013 C30 Polestar Limited Edition #87/250 - (former) | 2005 V50 T5 AWD (former)

Quote Originally Posted by Veefifty T5AWD View Post
      It can be done!

When mine wear out i'm going to this size next! 205/65R16...softer ride and more meat on the tire.
      2006 Volvo S40 AWD T5 M66 - Dusty Rusty
      2012 Subaru Outback 2.5i CVT - Slowmobile - CAI only, Powerstop Rotors+Pads.
      1996 HD Electra Glide - Big Bertha 10:1 Pistons; EV13 Cam: Ultima Digital Ignition; Buell Head Conversion; E85 Carb Tuned;

Nope, this proves theory. Everything about this car looks good EXCEPT the wheels/tires.

Quote Originally Posted by Veefifty T5AWD View Post
      It can be done!

98 V70R AWD - Bilstein touring fronts, Eurosport Tuning Dual Exhaust, lowered. SOLD
      09 Suzuki Gladius 650cc

Disagree. The wheel/tires are the coolest part - makes a statement that says "this ain't no highway queen". But of course I'm a recovering Subaru owner so that's my thing.
      2005 V50 T5 AWD M66

Quote Originally Posted by mercdude View Post
      Disagree. The wheel/tires are the coolest part - makes a statement that says "this ain't no highway queen". But of course I'm a recovering Subaru owner so that's my thing.
      That must be why I didn't find it too strange. My DD is a Baja!

That wheel/tire combo definitely stands out as different, not bad (depending on the eye of the beholder). You're right, it just says "this ain't no highway queen". It's just a glimpse into your priorities for tire performance, and what you use your car for.

Right. Obviously that car is used for some offroading/heavy weather travel. Maybe it's just because everyone's doing it now, but I'm starting to like beafier tires. Just seems silly (and downright impractical) to have 20" rims with 45 series tires. That's one pothole away from a new $750 wheel.
      2005 V50 T5 AWD M66

Just my personal opinion but I've never understood wheels that are of larger diameter than necessary, brake rotor and caliper being the determining functional factor. Unnecessary weight, cost and in case of low profile tires, fragility, all for the vainest of reasons, which IMO doesn't even look cool. Possible very slight grip advantage that's offset by sharper traction limit which is murder when cornering at high speed on uneven (street asphalt is just that) surface. Magnesium alloy 19":s with brakes that wouldn't possibly fit in 18" wheels would be fine in my book, of course, but considering the CD-disc sized rotors and puny calipers S40/V50 has, we're far from that reality. I've thought about getting rid of the 2-piece 9x18" wheels I got when I bought the V50, they look a bit silly - unless my daughter (whose car it is) absolutely wants to have them for the summer.

Agree with above. But it's the new style to have the big wheels/tires. Which is silly because it significantly increases the reciprocating mass and hurts economy and performance+is fragile in real life driving conditions.
      2005 V50 T5 AWD M66

Veefifty T5AWD - I like it! I was thinking about black wheels. Stealthy...

but compared to 17's... I dunno....

Darn vanity....
      Last edited by friedbryce; 12-19-2016 at 01:49 PM.

Cool is subjective and really depends on you. I say throw some Daytons with white walls. A chain link steering wheel and la cucuracha horn and call it macaroni.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
      2008 S40 T5 AWD ("Name pending") |ELEVATE Intake, intercooler, Torque Mount, ECU Mount, stage 3 APC Tune, 3 Stickers (5HP)ea||ClockWorkCalibrations Custom 3" Exhaust||EuroSportTuning 3" downpipe.||CF Cone Filter||De-Badged||custom Mesh Grill||Intercooler Cut out||Porsche 911 Throttle body upgrade||18" Niche Targa Wheels wrapped in 2154/45/18 Nikos||M3 Spoiler|| 8k Morimoto HID Kit|| White LED Fog,City,trunk light|

Quote Originally Posted by jondevieonS40 View Post
      Cool is subjective and really depends on you. I say throw some Daytons with white walls. A chain link steering wheel and la cucuracha horn and call it macaroni.

😂😂😂

I don't know, I personally think that you can stick bigger and bigger rims in there, but at the end of the day when you've reached maximum size rim with the lowest profile tire you can fit, that will require it to be lifted like one of these jokers:

although considering the flooding in Louisiana this guy was the dryest king for a while.

In my opinion the aesthetics, filling the available space with heftier tires is more visually appealing than filling it with a supersized rim and having a large amount of fenderwell left that can't be filled with an acceptable tire due to the rim size. It may look nice from the outside. But that's it. The more vanity it gets the less functional it becomes. Just my 0.02
      1996 HD Electra Glide - Big Bertha 10:1 Pistons; EV13 Cam: Ultima Digital Ignition; Buell Head Conversion; E85 Carb Tuned;

Quote Originally Posted by nathanlevang View Post

Nailed it, just needs an Aztec dude holding a dead lady airbrushed on the hood.

2008 S40 T5 AWD ("Name pending") |ELEVATE Intake, intercooler, Torque Mount, ECU Mount, stage 3 APC Tune, 3 Stickers (5HP)ea||ClockWorkCalibrations Custom 3" Exhaust||EuroSportTuning 3" downpipe.||CF Cone Filter||De-Badged||custom Mesh Grill||Intercooler Cut out||Porsche 911 Throttle body upgrade||18" Niche Targa Wheels wrapped in 2154/45/18 Nikos||M3 Spoiler|| 8k Morimoto HID Kit|| White LED Fog,City,trunk light|

Quote Originally Posted by avenger09123 View Post
      The more vanity it gets the less functional it becomes.
      ^ Word.
      2005 V50 T5 AWD M66

Quote Originally Posted by houstonderk View Post
      are those 16s though?
      2007 S40 T5 AWD

Screw 16's. I'm getting some 30" reds..

Quote Originally Posted by jondevieonS40 View Post
      Nailed it, just needs an Aztec dude holding a dead lady airbrushed on the hood.

I was thinking wood side paneling and a soft top!

Well just checked and sure enough there actually 17's...

Yes no?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      2006 V50 T5 AWD AW55, 320mm FR Brake upgrade, Elevate Intake, OBX Exhaust.
      2010 XC90 V8 Executive Latest Addition.
      2008 XC90 V8 Executive Edition, w/Muffler Delete.
      2005 XC90 V8 Black, VB replaced, S60R Brake Swaped
      2013 Jetta Sportwagen TDI 6spd. Malone S2 tuned 200hp/350tq.

Quote Originally Posted by V50R View Post

Yes no?

NO, those aftermarket tires look hideous! Huge wheel gap, are those tires even the right size?
      09 Suzuki Gladius 650cc

IMO go bigger sidewall tires and it'd be good to go.
      2005 V50 T5 AWD M66

Quote Originally Posted by whitev70r View Post
      NO, those aftermarket tires look hideous! Huge wheel gap, are those tires even the right size?
      Tire rack winter wheel package, these were the lightest wheels they had, 16x7" and tires are 205 55 16 i wanna say Blizzaks. Deff rides much better than my 17s and of course stops and goes like hell with the AWD and snow tires.
      2006 V50 T5 AWD AW55, 320mm FR Brake upgrade, Elevate Intake, OBX Exhaust.
      2010 XC90 V8 Executive Latest Addition.
      2008 XC90 V8 Executive Edition, w/Muffler Delete.
      2005 XC90 V8 Black, VB replaced, S60R Brake Swaped
      2013 Jetta Sportwagen TDI 6spd. Malone S2 tuned 200hp/350tq.

A week later and I sure think so. Love the way they ride too..

Quote Originally Posted by JomamaAK View Post
      A week later and I sure think so. Love the way they ride too..

Broken image link

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

I think mine do, but I'm biased so..meh...rear is only that high because my drive way is an incline and the handbrake makes the body rise about an inch when pulled.

I'm actually thinking of picking up a set of 16's from one of my buddies when I do decide to start autocrossing and maybe (maybe) taking it to the track for fun. It'd be nice to get some really sticky tires and they're cheap enough for 16" wheels

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Gotta be honest, if I could swap someone my 17s for their good 16s, I'd do it and put really nice and tall rubber on them.

2005 V50 T5 AWD M66

Go big or don't go at all!
      Garage Queen - 2010 C30 R-Design Vrooooooom
      Daily - 2016 V60 T5 Drive-E Vrooooooom
      Zichrona Livracha - 2004.5 S40 T5

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast