Xc60 quirks
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Thread: Xc60 quirks

Xc60 quirks

Hello all,
      I'm a long time member that has been lurking for a long time. We are currently lookin for a 14+ xc60 to replace our beloved s40 that laid its life down to protect my family.

I know the xc60s have a great track record, but am curious to know some of the smaller faults and annoying issues that have come along with them. For example in my 04 R, the angle gear is a pain and the turning radius is that of a battle ship😂. Just looking for feedback on everyday life with an D.C.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Depends on the engine. I have a 12 6-cylinder 3.2 and an 04 R. The XC60 has a much smaller turning radius compared to the R(but I've gotten used to it), and no issues with the angle gear on the XC60. The R needed to get the collar gear replaced, but it's a known issue. I've had some issues with the EVAP system where it needed to replace the solenoid and the piping, other than that, it's been pretty much maintenance free. XC60 is a different beast entirely, and it's more akin to your beloved s40.
      04 S60 R MT Titanium Grey thread | pictures DP & Custom Quad Tip Exhaust | 05+ Conversion Exterior & Interior | Sport Kit
      12 XC60 Ice White 3.2 AWD | Heico Kit | Fast 19" FC04A | Running Boards

We have a '15.5 T6 and it was at the dealer a handful of times in its first year (bad battery, replace one of the axles, strange radio issue) but has settled down since then. Car is only a year and a half old so hard to tell long term but we really like the size of the car - more useful than my V60 but smaller than a three row SUV.
      Past Volvos: '94 854, '99 S70 T5 SE, '99 S70 GLT, '04 S60RM, '12 S60 T5, '13 S60 T5, '15 S60 RD
      Present Garage: '16 MX5 Club, '95 854 T-5R, '05 V70RGT, '15.5 XC60 T6, '16 V60 P*

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

We've had our MY15 T6 AWD since September 2014.

We had the chrome door mouldings replaced once due to bubbling.

The fuel tank pressurizer replaced as it failed.

Other then that it has been a relatively smooth ride.
      2015 - XC60 T6 AWD Premium+ - Climate pkg, Bi-xenon, Blis, P* tune, Crystal White, P* performance parts door and rear hatch mouldings.

My friend and I purchased our XC60s about a week a part from one another. Neither has been trouble free.

Hers lost the AWD (AOC pump failure) and her infotainment screen died (both problems have showed up on this forum more than once). Mine had a really stupid electrical problem with the driver's side that took 5 dealer visits to fix (I don't believe this is a common problem). Mine also had an oil leak from the turbo (I've read one other instance of this on a 2015). Every now and again, my radio acts up: all of the controls become unresponsive but music continues to play (again, a problem I've read about more than once on this forum). Shutting the vehicle off and restarting it "fixes" it. Both of us had a piece of the the sunroof trim literally fall out when the sunroof was open (this has also happened to others). I usually get an error message about the TPMS needing service about 90 minutes into a long drive. I've personally driven 4 other XC60s that have thrown the same error message so I'd consider it a common problem. The message goes away after a minute or two and the dealer has never been able to figure out why it happens to my XC60.

TBH, neither of our XC60s has been stellar reliability wise, but we both still like the brand. My friend plans to replace hers with another Volvo when her XC60 hits 100K (currently 75-80K). Mine has 57K and I plan to keep it for another ~10 years, eventually becoming a second car/ winter rat/ home depot hauler.
      Last edited by Thomas.brian23; 12-24-2016 at 08:54 AM.
      2013 XC60 T6 AWD

We have had two; 2012 T6 was completely trouble-free over three years, 2015.5 T6 has had one fault, the PEM that is part of the 3G wireless system died.

V70 R
      V60 P*
      XC60 T6
      16 V60P* (Rebel Blue)
      05 V70R MT (Red/Atacama)
      15.5 XC60 T6 (Wife's Ride/Power Blue)

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas.brian23 View Post
      TBH, neither of our XC60s has been stellar reliability wise, but we both still like the brand. My friend plans to replace hers with another Volvo when her XC60 hits 100K (currently 75-80K). Mine has 57K and I plan to keep it for another ~10 years, eventually becoming a second car/ winter rat/ home depot hauler.
      Does she always replace cars at 100k? That seems like a pain (not to mention expensive).

Quote Originally Posted by IIHS View Post
      Does she always replace cars at 100k? That seems like a pain (not to mention expensive).
      Negative. Her last car (non-Volvo) was just shy of 160K when she dumped it.

Her extended warranty expires at 100K and she doesn't want to be stuck with any out-of-pocket repair bills. She really should lease, but she drives too much (~22K per year). I've repeatedly told her that it doesn't make sense from a financial POV, but it falls on deaf ears. I think all of the issues we've both had (minor and otherwise) have also scared her. If our XC60s only had required routine maintenance, I think her plan would be different.
      Last edited by Thomas.brian23; 12-24-2016 at 11:02 AM.
      2013 XC60 T6 AWD

There are some safety related fails unique to Volvo, and the 2015 XC60s. Apparently Volvo's new Chinese owners are decreasing the focus on safety to cut costs.

1) Adaptive/regular cruse control will exceed the set speed by up to 5 MPH or more for around 30 seconds when going down hills. This is very dangerous for obvious reasons and creates risk of getting a speeding ticket if you normally like to drive 5 to 7 MPH over the speed limit. (My previous vehicle, Ford Edge, would only exceed set speed by 1 or 2 MPH for a few seconds when going down hill, it also had adaptive cruise control)

2) The rear hatch creates significant safety risk since you have to step out into a (potentially) busy street and walk to the back of the XC60 and close it manually, then step back into the street to re-enter the driver's doors. This is crazy. (All previous vehicles I can remember allowed me to close the hatch from remote or inside the vehicle for obvious safety reasons).

3) The "auto-rain-sensing" front wipers are not actually auto at all and thus can obscure your view when driving in the rain. You have to take your eyes off the road and manually turn on the auto-sensing each time you start the vehicle. (Our previous vehicle maintained last setting so wipers always engaged in the daily rain).

4) The T6 Drive-E engines have too much power for a FWD vehicle and this creates severe torque steer problems when gunning it. :-)
      Last edited by pfram; 12-24-2016 at 03:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by pfram View Post
      There are some safety related fails unique to Volvo, and the 2015 XC60s. Apparently Volvo's new Chinese owners are decreasing the focus on safety to cut costs.

2) The rear hatch creates significant safety risk since you have to step out into a (potentially) busy street and walk to the back of the XC60 and close it manually, then step back into the street to re-enter the driver's doors. This is crazy. (All previous vehicles I can remember allowed me to close the hatch from remote or inside the vehicle for obvious safety reasons).

3) The "auto-rain-sensing" front wipers are not actually auto at all and thus can obscure your view when driving in the rain. You have to take your eyes off the road and manually turn on the auto-sensing each time you start the vehicle. (Our previous vehicle maintained last setting so wipers always engaged in the daily rain).
      Why is it necessary to mention Chinese ownership when it comes to your personal gripes?

While the rear hatch not closing via remote or inside the vehicle is an inconvenience it's not a deal breaker. One could have their passenger shut the door or have the person which loading your cargo for you shut it for you. This isn't an XC60-only issue. There are plenty of SUVs that do not have remote closing power liftgate.

Even in rainy Seattle, I prefer having to press the Auto rain sensing button as I please. You have to understand there's a good portion of the population who do not read their owners manuals with a fine tooth comb and therefore don't know where their auto rain sensing button is or how to turn it off. This comes into play when someone enters an automatic carwash. You don't want the wipers automatically wiping as the brushes start to scrub your windshield.

Our 2013 XC60 T6 has 65k miles now and we love it. Other than the usual maintenance items (wipers, brakes, filters) the only thing we've replaced is the battery a few weeks ago. Knock on wood, this is the most reliable Volvo I've owned.

Quote Originally Posted by sexy60 View Post
      Why is it necessary to mention Chinese ownership when it comes to your personal gripes?

While the rear hatch not closing via remote or inside the vehicle is an inconvenience it's not a deal breaker. One could have their passenger shut the door or have the person which loading your cargo for you shut it for you. This isn't an XC60-only issue. There are plenty of SUVs that do not have remote closing power liftgate.

Even in rainy Seattle, I prefer having to press the Auto rain sensing button as I please. You have to understand there's a good portion of the population who do not read their owners manuals with a fine tooth comb and therefore don't know where their auto rain sensing button is or how to turn it off. This comes into play when someone enters an automatic carwash. You don't want the wipers automatically wiping as the brushes start to scrub your windshield.

Our 2013 XC60 T6 has 65k miles now and we love it. Other than the usual maintenance items (wipers, brakes, filters) the only thing we've replaced is the battery a few weeks ago. Knock on wood, this is the most reliable Volvo I've owned.
      A company called Geely owns Volvo now. Geely is a Chinese company. Previously Ford owned Volvo. Ford is an American company. Volvo is based in Sweden and has traditionally been associated with prioritizing safety first and was known for cars lasting forever based on my experience. Having lived in Asia for 12 years and spending lots of time doing business in China, I can say, fair or not, that most Chinese companies are not yet known for the same level of quality and focus on safety that at least I have traditionally associated with Volvo. There's a lot to like with Geely's attempts at innovation and keeping costs down though. It will be fun to watch and see if future Lynk/Volvos maintain the same standards and consumer image Volvo has enjoyed for decades.

There are indeed plenty of SUVs that don't have power liftgates at all. But in this near luxury class, if you have one that powers open, why not have it power close like many others do? Other car companies have conquered that monumental engineering challenge and kept it safe with $5 sensors. I expect it to be a standard feature on cars with power liftgates produced over the past couple years and in the future. I didn't research statistics, but I'm pretty sure more pedestrians are killed exiting their vehicles than children sleeping with their necks draped over the rear bumper.

Even with true automated wipers, you are still free to press the the rain sensing button as you please. I don't find it hard to remember to turn it off once or twice a year when washing the car. I'd worry if most drivers only start looking for the button and learn how to turn their wipers on and off when driving down the freeway in the rain.

We love both our XC60s too. I'm just pointing out the quirks.

Hey guys thanks for the replies!

We do know we want a 14 and up... well I do because I love the clusters in the 14 and ups, but the wife would rather an R design, but I can't tel the big difference in them from a decently optioned one... maybe somebody could clear that up for me?
      Anyway... we also want a T6 awd with a dark interior....likely white or black.... holy narrow search right!?

Quote Originally Posted by primodevil View Post

We do know we want a 14 and up... well I do because I love the clusters in the 14 and ups, but the wife would rather an R design, but I can't tel the big difference in them from a decently optioned one... maybe somebody could clear that up for me?
      Anyway... we also want a T6 awd with a dark interior....likely white or black.... holy narrow search right!?
      Good luck with your search. Remember, there is no used car factory that builds them to your spec. sometimes you have to be a little flexible.

V70 R
      V60 P*
      XC60 T6
      16 V60P* (Rebel Blue)
      05 V70R MT (Red/Atacama)
      15.5 XC60 T6 (Wife's Ride/Power Blue)

Don't give up hope, they're definitely out there--just be ready to move fast when you find the one!

I was looking for a 2014+ T6 AWD, white exterior/beige interior, with BLIS, CitySafe, and heated seats, with under 40K miles if possible. I saw that exact one online at a local dealer as a CPO, and pounced! Called them immediately, put down a deposit, and a couple of days later he was mine! I'm glad that I put down a deposit immediately, because they had a nearly identical one (but no BLIS) on the lot, and it sold by the time I was able to pick mine up.

Now I'm celebrating the holidays by decking him out with new accessories, including the rear side cargo nets and luggage cover! I hope you find your "one" soon!

The biggest difference is that the R-Design has firmer suspension. The link below lists several 2014-2016 T6 AWD XC60s in your general area. One is an R-Design. The majority are located in Tacoma, which might be a little far to travel just to shop. That will at least give you an idea of what's available.

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...&numRecords=25
      2015.5 V60 Polestar BSM #46
      2014 XC60 R-Design Passion Red/Off Black, OSD, Savini BM7, lowered, swaybar, Koni FSD
      2006 V70R 6M
      ElecSilver/Nordkap, 18" Pegs, Bell FMIC
      2004 S60R 6M TiGrey/Nordkap, 18" Ti Pegs, Bell FMIC, IPD Stage II, Eibachs, Quaife LSD

Unfortunately I'm on the wrong coast. I just rolled over my 2015 R-Design lease, fully loaded for the same in a 2017 (less the Polestar on the new one, no longer standard on the RD ). The 2015 is Sapphire Black super clean, well maintained with 45K on the clock (a little high but mostly highway). The T6 is a bit smoother and more refined than the newer 4 cyl engines. The Polestar that was standard on the 2015 RD gave it a substantial extra kick. At my age I don't care about "off the line" but it was great for merging into traffic. Dealer has it in their inventory but we're in NJ.

Good luck in your search.
      Bill...

2017 XC60 R-Design, Sapphire Black, Climate, BLIS

Alacantra?

Quote Originally Posted by bb41 View Post
      Unfortunately I'm on the wrong coast. I just rolled over my 2015 R-Design lease, fully loaded for the same in a 2017 (less the Polestar on the new one, no longer standard on the RD ). The 2015 is Sapphire Black super clean, well maintained with 45K on the clock (a little high but mostly highway). The T6 is a bit smoother and more refined than the newer 4 cyl engines. The Polestar that was standard on the 2015 RD gave it a substantial extra kick. At my age I don't care about "off the line" but it was great for merging into traffic. Dealer has it in their inventory but we're in NJ.

Good luck in your search.
      With the alacantra interior?

I'm a current Audi die-hard looking at XC60s (and Q5s) for the wife and am 99% sure I have your old car favorited on cars.com. Wish it had navigation

Hey all, figured I would give you all an update.
      About a week ago we picked up a '13 R Design, 60k miles on it. I'm not 100% on what model of R it is but it is in Platinum white (assuming it's the platinum model) and it's fully loaded. Absolutely love the way it cruises and is absurdly comfortable. [IMG][/IMG]

The cruiser and the bruiser

My wife had a 2013 and now has the 2015.5. Both have been fabulous. No problems. Excellently maintained by the local dealer.
      2013 XC60>2015.5 XC60, 2016 XC90

Looks great.. I'm guessing its Crystal White.. unless Platinum White is a colour for 2013. I only knew of two whites Ice White (base colour) and the Crystal White (metallic).
      2015 - XC60 T6 AWD Premium+ - Climate pkg, Bi-xenon, Blis, P* tune, Crystal White, P* performance parts door and rear hatch mouldings.

Congratulations! The link below is to the brochure for the 2013 XC60. It will tell you everything about yours.

2015.5 V60 Polestar BSM #46
      2014 XC60 R-Design Passion Red/Off Black, OSD, Savini BM7, lowered, swaybar, Koni FSD
      2006 V70R 6M
      ElecSilver/Nordkap, 18" Pegs, Bell FMIC
      2004 S60R 6M TiGrey/Nordkap, 18" Ti Pegs, Bell FMIC, IPD Stage II, Eibachs, Quaife LSD

24. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements