Fitting HID or high powered LED bulbs into factory fog light housing
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fitting HID or high powered LED bulbs into factory fog light housing

Just curious how this would be done, or if anyone on here has even done this or if it's even possible. Of course with the bulb socket being that it detaches completely from the housing, how would an HID or fan backed LED bulb be installed into the stock fog light housings? The only possible way I can see if getting spare set of sockets, and cutting out the backs of them to accommodate the cables that would come out of the back, or to be able to clear the fan housing that high powered LED bulbs have. That way the bulb would still remain secure and locked in place into the housing. Thoughts, ideas on this? I currently run OPT7 CREE LED bulbs in my fog lights, but they are the same dimensions as a normal bulb in the back, so they attach like normal bulbs. The problem is that they are not quite as bright as stock H1 halogens, and I'm going on my 3rd pair of bulbs WITHIN the year that I've owned them, fortunately they have replaced all burned out bulbs through warranty period. But I'm kinda over them should this new pair stop working prematurely. I do have some spare HID ballasts laying around, so just getting some bulbs would be easy to plug and play once the socket cap issue is figured out.
      2004 S60 2.5T - Stock for now...

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I have wondered this as well ever since I got my first P2. Subscribing in case anyone has figured something out!!
      02 S60 N/A - 244k | Rear-Ended - Deceased...
      04 S60 2.5T - 187K | Stage 0, 16T, Blues, Hilton Stage 3, Cat-less Downpipe, Wideband + Boost Gauge, Heavy Right Foot.

I tried to look up any info and/or pics on Google, but no dice unfortunately... =/

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I think this is our key... Just as I had imagined it would be...

Another great how-to on this WITH pictures...

A little digging goes a long way apparently, LOL! Glad that I stumbled upon this. Now to figure out if heatsink/fan backed LED bulbs will work just the same way...

Are you running canceller with your leds? Could be the reason they are failing I had the issue with my led low beams.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
      2007 S60 2.5T AWD-ARD HD TCV Eurosport tuning and Snabb intake, full exhaust OBX

https://www.ipdusa.com/products/1209...hite-s60r-v70r
      These are an option too I believe

2007 S60 2.5T AWD-ARD HD TCV Eurosport tuning and Snabb intake, full exhaust OBX

Quote Originally Posted by jeg5263 View Post
      Are you running canceller with your leds? Could be the reason they are failing I had the issue with my led low beams.

I am not, but the fog lights aren't tired into the BOW system anyways on our cars. Do you mean regardless of that?

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Phixion View Post
      I am not, but the fog lights aren't tired into the BOW system anyways on our cars. Do you mean regardless of that?

Yeah I would still run the cancellers i didnt get a bow without the cancellers but it kept blowing bulbs until I put them on. Don't know why can't explain it but it works lol.

Quote Originally Posted by jeg5263 View Post
      Yeah I would still run the cancellers i didnt get a bow without the cancellers but it kept blowing bulbs until I put them on. Don't know why can't explain it but it works lol.

I think that they also help regulate somehow the signal going to the bulbs, so that could be why. Good to know!

Old thread, I know. :P Just bought some new H1 fog bulb sockets from iPD that I'll keep as a just in case since I'll be cutting and hacking up the original sockets to accommodate and fit some H1 HID bulbs for my HID fog light conversion. I'll just need a figure out a good spot up high to mount the slim ballasts to.

13. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements