6th Annual Volvo Dragon Slayers
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

View Poll Results: Which weekend works best for the 6th Annual Volvo Dragon Meet??

Voters
    0. You may not vote on this poll
    • Sep. 2nd (LABOR-DAY Weekend)

0 0%
    • Sep. 9th

0 0%
    • Sep. 16th

0 0%
    • Sep. 23rd

0 0%
    • Oct. 7th

0 0%
    • Oct. 14th

0 0%

6th Annual Volvo Dragon Slayers

Group photo from last year's event.

----------

Like past years, this event is for Volvos ONLY. Previous event attendees who no longer own Volvos are the only exception. I know this sounds rude, but the majority enjoy keeping it exclusive. This also helps limit it to our tight community where we can meet new people with similar interests.

When? October 14th for the main event and activities. However, a few of us will be arriving the evening of the 13th and staying until the 15th.

What is Volvo Dragon Slayers? This is an opportunity for local Volvo owners to slay the dragon, enjoy the scenery of the Smokey Mountains, and meet a bunch of cool people.

The Saturday usually consists of a scenic drive, a run of the Tail of the Dragon, concluding with a visit to Fontana Dam. This is not a race! It is a scenic drive for the whole family to enjoy. At most, we may be doing 10mph over the speed limit on highway sections. For those planning to stay late or spend the weekend, there will also be a night run of the dragon.

Every year we vote on our scenic drive destination. Please respond with any suggestions that you have for this years trip. Try to keep it relatively local to Fontana, free, and interesting enough for attendees who have driven a long distance to visit the area. Having multiple rest stops / photo ops along the journey is also ideal.

The following are links to albums from past events.
      5th Annual Volvo Dragon Slayers: Clingman's Dome
      4th Annual Volvo Dragon Slayers: Cherohala Skyway
      3rd Annual Volvo Dragon Slayers: Bridal Veil Falls and Dry Falls
      2nd Annual Volvo Dragon Slayers: Cherohala Skyway
      1st Annual Volvo Dragon Slayers: Cherohala Skyway

----------

About the Dragon:
      The Tail of the Dragon is a public road with 35mph speed limits and occasional cops. Slay the dragon at your comfortable pace! This is not a race! No one will judge if you intend to hold back and drive slow. Some of our group will lead and intend to drive fast, others will stay back and enjoy the curvy road at the speed limit.

The dragon is a completely different beast at night. There will be designated leaders for the night run, each with aftermarket lighting to help guide the way. As with other runs of the dragon, drivers will be encouraged to drive at their comfortable pace. The group will be divided between those who want to drive fast and those who simply wish to take a calm evening stroll.

----------

If you want alcohol, bring your own! There is a bar at the resort, but this is a dry county with a 30 mile drive to the nearest liquor store.
      Do not drink and drive.

----------

It is advised that everyone brings walkie talkie radios for communication while driving. We will be using Channel 3 sub channel 0. Radios are a great way to communicate upcoming turns, rest points, and friendly chatter.

----------

Attendees:
      MyNameIdeasWereTaken - C30
      SunroofGirl - V50
      TheBelgian - C30
      AlconeC30 - C30 or Focus RS
      Dubcee - Mazda 3
      SewInThePast - C30
      jeff.potts.148 - C30
      Last edited by MyNameIdeasWereTaken; 05-01-2017 at 09:05 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

6th Annual "Dragon Slayer" Meet (DATE SELECTION POLL)

Ladies and Gentlemen, here's where it all starts - Date selection...

I understand that these meets usually take place right around Labor day weekend, therefore all of the options in this poll will be centered around that weekend, with the option to suggest a date further out...

Labor day Weekend (this year - 2017) looks like it will fall on September 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th (Monday - labor day)... Possible hurdles that we will face by having a meet on labor-day weekend are:
      - Increased traffic due to the holiday
      - Increased (lodging) rates due to holiday traffic and the fact that tourism produces most of this part of North Carolina's / Tennessee's income.
      - Overall more crowded stops and less areas to enjoy the peaceful amazing views and our cars
      ** Not to mention, STUPID amounts of cars with Florida plates on the roads **

That being said, We'll center everything around Labor-day Weekend and go +/- 3 weeks on either side and sometime in February or March we'll probably commit to a date (majority wins)... Seem fair?

All the while I will be putting together drives, lodging locations, group activity options, etc... Whoever cares to constructivelly comment on any of the options, please do so...

It's 2017 and "Lets Make the Dragon Meet Great Again..."

POLL CLOSES March 1st 2017
      Last edited by TH-67DoorGunner; 01-11-2017 at 07:57 PM.
      2005 Volvo V70R ("Veee") - 102,xxx miles
      1998 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon ("Lucy") - 242,xxx miles - SOLD
      2006 Subaru Impreza STi ("Molly") - Trackcar, One Lap of America class winner (x2!) - SOLD
      1995 Subaru SVX ("Gumby") - Childhood dream car - SOLD

I'll kick it off and place my vote for Sept. 22nd - 24th...

Main reasons I selected those dates are:
      - I'm getting married the last weekend in August
      - Will likely be gone on honeymoon for the first two weeks in September
      - Last week in September is my fiancee's birthday weekend...

Might change my vote for later on in the year, you know, for more "Turbo Friendly Weather" ... But we'll see... If I'm totally honest, I'm not sure if I'll even be able to make it this year... I really want to, it's just a very busy year for me ...

I will keep planning though as I love planning group events and even if I can't make it, I'm happy to contribute something to the community
      2006 Subaru Impreza STi ("Molly") - Trackcar, One Lap of America class winner (x2!) - SOLD

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I am in the process of building a Google Maps with all of my suggestions of things to do... HOPEFULLY (if I can remember how to do it), I'll also include the drives as well!

I merged your new thread with the main event thread, please keep all event discussion isolated to this one thread so it is easier to keep track of.
      This event is shared on multiple forums and other forms of social media. SwedeSpeed is not actually the main forum for making event decisions; the majorities of attendees come from another private forum. However, SwedeSpeed is the main publicly visible board, so details get posted here to be shared on Facebook, Tail of the Dragon schedule, etc.

I also closed the poll... A few members hold seniority when it comes to making date decisions. But we still ask for people to comment with their preferred dates and your suggestion of the 22nd-24th has been noted. This allows us to review the suggestions from the multiple boards and to see which members are voting for which dates. We are a bit biased and will try to schedule the event for a weekend that previous attendees prefer. From past experiences of going with a majority vote, the majority voters usually do not even attend.

Looking forward to your trip suggestions! What you post on here, I will also present on the other forums.
      Please remember that while the event has grown to become a Friday-Sunday ordeal, all scheduled activities are to be Saturday only. We usually depart on our trip around 9am, have it include a lunch stop, and conclude around 3pm so people have a few hours to drive the dragon or explore the area before the night run.
      Some people travel hundreds of miles for this event and road, others are local and make it a day trip, so we try to keep the drive time of the Saturday trips to a "minimal," just for comfort.

Unfortunately I won't be able to make it this year.... Maybe next year
      Last edited by TH-67DoorGunner; 05-24-2017 at 12:43 PM.

Last edited by TH-67DoorGunner; 05-24-2017 at 12:42 PM.

I can see the map and the routes look good! I'll have to study them further when I'm on a computer.

If we can coordinate sometime in the spring or next few months I can meet you up there and show you any of those that you haven't driven... in my opinion many of them are better than the dragon simply because there is hardly any traffic on them!

I do love the back roads near the dragon. No traffic is always the best! Heck... I basically live off the back roads "near" the dragon. Some of the best roads in GA all start within a few miles of my house.

Not sure how my calendar looks right now, but I'll let you know! The only route I haven't driven is "Wayah Road" drive. The big annual C30 dragon meet is in the spring, so I may go check it out then.

Oh yeah, definitely DO drive Wayah Rd!!... In my opinion it's one of the best!...

In the beginning (2003 - 2007) I would only really care about HWY-28 and HWY-129 (the Dragon)... but as I've made more and more trips up there, I've usually just driven the dragon ONCE and then went on to drive these other drives more... Alot more fun IMHO since everyone and their grandma seems to want to drive the Dragon back and forth and the bikes! Jesus the Bikes drive me crazy...

Let me know when the C30 meet is and I may try to head up there if I have time just for ****s and giggles

Heading up to the mountains this coming weekend... Anyone down for a quick weekend trip and visit some breweries?

Holy Crap guys, my buddy and I found some AWESOME roads this past weekend!!... I'll be adding them to the map I linked above ... YOU'RE WELCOME

I won't be in for this year, but I have family who own vacation rental property in Wears Valley and they often host gatherings there in September.......I'd love to get in on this if the schedules align at some point in the future. We took the T-5R down there last year and damn that was a good time......amazing to be in a place where there are not only endless fun roads, but no massive craters in the streets every 5 feet like we have in New England! Now if only I had a chance to get out on those roads when I wasn't following the rest of the family entourage in an Equinox, a T&C, and a Prius.........

Sooooo... 5 Months out (ish)... What's the story on the meet?

The meet has officially been scheduled for October 14th for the main event and activities. However, a few of us will be arriving the evening of the 13th and staying until the 15th.

This is a bit later than usual and we may encounter more sightseers for the fall colors, but temperatures will be cooler and this works better for the majority's schedule. The first post has been updated and an attendee's list will begin soon.

Sounds like a good time.
      06 Ti Grey SR w/Sport Pkg, Manual, IPD Stage II, Mototec Intake, 3in DP, Track Sway Bars, HD Endlinks, Boost Gauge, Silicone Vac Lines, Upr Engine Mnt, HD Trans Mount. SNABB Intake & Short Shifter,IPD 3" Oval Exhaust, Viva HD TCV, Synchronic CBV, Wg 7psi, Port Matched/Polished Intake Manifold, Victory Performance FMIC w/IMEC. http://www.dragtimes.com/Volvo-S60-Timeslip-19306.html

Sounds good. I'll probably be able to take the necessary days off to make it from jax again.

May I suggest doing some waterfalls or something as the side trip this year?

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk
      2006 S60R M66
      98 C70 T5M coupe

Well, at the moment it doesn't look like I'll be able to make it this year guys... Probably going on "vacation" with the Army early next year so prep time the rest of this year...

Marked my calendar, count me in. Looks like I'll have some suspension bits by then.
      2012 S60 R-Design

I just finalized booking my rooms and got the dates off. So I'll definitely be there!

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk
      2006 S60R M66
      98 C70 T5M coupe

24. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements