Underbody Skid Plate
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Underbody Skid Plate

I unfortunately ripped my underbody skid plate off my car yesterday... While attempting to make it up my driveway.

I know I can buy a replacement, the question is which one should I buy!

There are 3 that I know of:

1) IPD Aluminum Skid Plate 2) Volvo Aluminum Skid Plate 3) Volvo Skid Plate (Plastic)
      Does anyone have experience with any of them or advice of which is best?

Thanks!
      Neal

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Can't speak towards the others, but I have the IPD skid plate and while I was initially annoyed with the construction, after modifications it has held up against some serious punishment -see the two years later update. That was 2011 - and it's still going strong, the only updates in the interim 5 years being:
      1) I ended up cutting out a 4" hole around where the lower engine mount was making contact. This eliminated the scraping noise under acceleration/deceleration
      2) the hose clamp on the driver side IC hose started hitting the leading edge of the plate, likely due to damage sustained during an impact. Two days ago I hammered out the new curve and it seems to be clearing it now.

All of the reinforcements that I made have clearly improved the strength of the plate, but I'm not sure they would be needed for everyone. I have been known on occasion to exclaim "F* it I have AWD" as I veer off road in a stupid maneuver. If you are gentler with your car, the stock IPD is probably fine. Overall I would highly recommend getting an aluminum skidplate. Keep an eye on the scars and you'll be glad you did!
      '05 S40 T5 AWD M66 sport/winter/ew. Michelin PS A/S+. 6000k 50w HID low/HIR1 high/full LED conversions. RiCA SW. Evoelate intake. IPD rear sway, skidplate, TCV.
      Writeups
      Full P1 (S40/V50/C30/C70) & P2 (S60/V70+R) LED conversion | P1 HID conversion & details | FM Modulators & interference

I have an IPD skid plate as well and I have the same issues with it as theshadow27 does with regards to it hitting the lower transmission mount and the intercooler clamp. I don't know how thick the Volvo skid plate is but the IPD one is only about 1/4" so it does bend pretty easy if you hit something. As well the skid plate mounts to the bottom of the radiator mount which is also pretty thin metal. The skid plate isn't going to save you from hitting something solid but it does provide some protection. Pretty much every time I take the skid plate off I need to bend it back into shape. I don't like that it has the IPD logo cut out of it as well as the hole cut out of it to access the oil drain plug. These holes just allow snow to pack in there. Also, another modification to the IPD skid plate that you should do is to install some rivnuts into the radiator mount so that you don't have to use the bolts they supply to mount it. Installing and removing the bolts they give you is really difficult to do.
      2007 Volvo S40 T5 AWD M66

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

IPD also has a plastic one: https://www.ipdusa.com/products/1148...40-v50-c30-c70

I know my old V50 had a crack in the factory plastic one, just in front of the oil pan. It was good enough to save the oil pan but I was always nervous.
      2005 V50 T5 FWD M66 Passion Red (Radio Flyer)

1998 V70 NA - Sold, 2002 S40 1.9T - R.I.P., 2005 V50 T5 - RIP

Remember kids, Speed doesn't kill ... impact does!

I think if I'm going to replace mine, I want the best and most durable available!

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Get a steel one fabricated. Done.
      2005 V50 T5 AWD M66

Quote Originally Posted by Tim_H View Post
      I have an IPD skid plate as well and I have the same issues with it as theshadow27 does with regards to it hitting the lower transmission mount and the intercooler clamp. I don't know how thick the Volvo skid plate is but the IPD one is only about 1/4" so it does bend pretty easy if you hit something. As well the skid plate mounts to the bottom of the radiator mount which is also pretty thin metal. The skid plate isn't going to save you from hitting something solid but it does provide some protection. Pretty much every time I take the skid plate off I need to bend it back into shape. I don't like that it has the IPD logo cut out of it as well as the hole cut out of it to access the oil drain plug. These holes just allow snow to pack in there. Also, another modification to the IPD skid plate that you should do is to install some rivnuts into the radiator mount so that you don't have to use the bolts they supply to mount it. Installing and removing the bolts they give you is really difficult to do.
      I made a few modifications to it that drastically improved the IPD version,

Quote Originally Posted by theshadow27 View Post

Also, in case you were wondering what the rows on the bottom are, there's three rows of angle running down the length, so now it's an actual skid plate instead of a decoration. There's beads of silicone running down the length, and one rivet per inch. It's significantly more sturdy than before, no flex whatsoever.

Plus a few layers of 40mil butyl mass loader

Since those photos were taken, I also added a 3/8" aluminum spacer around the rear holes to drop it down a little. This leaves a gap along the back to allow water and snow to work their way out without pooling.

I agree with the stock hardware sucking. Rather than rivnuts, I ended up welding nuts onto carriage bolts to make them captive, then I just use regular nuts to hold it on. At some point, if it lasts long enough, I'll probably replace two of the front nuts with pins.

The only bend I've seen is in the front (non-reinforced) section, which clearly involved a serious impact. Since the mods, I really have no complaints.

Quote Originally Posted by mercdude View Post
      Get a steel one fabricated. Done.
      Considering how flimsy the front mounting location is, I wouldn't want a steel plate - Personally, I'd much rather have the skid plate deform than the oil pan
      '05 S40 T5 AWD M66 sport/winter/ew. Michelin PS A/S+. 6000k 50w HID low/HIR1 high/full LED conversions. RiCA SW. Evoelate intake. IPD rear sway, skidplate, TCV.
      Writeups
      Full P1 (S40/V50/C30/C70) & P2 (S60/V70+R) LED conversion | P1 HID conversion & details | FM Modulators & interference

I have one of these brand new, which you can have for $50 shipped: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Front-Engine...ZYZgef&vxp=mtr

I have a used plastic one you can have for $40 shipped if you want. There's nothing wrong with it. I installed the IPD skid plate and have hit things and bend it back...it's still better than plastic but plastic is better than nothing.
      '98 S70 T5 Emerald Green IPD and other Upgrades/ '07 S40 T5 M-66 MT Mystic Silver Metallic, Heico Sports Suspension & Cone Air Filter, OZ 18" Wheels, Elevate Dual Exhaust Intake Manifold BOV & Stage 1 Tune, 27mm Racing Beat Rear Sway, Proforged Rear End Links, Ultra Racing Strut Tower brace & E-Focus Mount/ '04 V70 2.5T Ruby Red - IPD Upgrades (wife's car)/ '07 S60 2.5T Barrent Blue (son's car) All: Mobil-1 synthetic @ 5K miles.

So what screws are down their holding skid plate? Mine is dangling and am wanting to watch it up

Quote Originally Posted by catdaddy View Post
      So what screws are down their holding skid plate? Mine is dangling and am wanting to watch it up
      The IPD skid plate uses 3 bolts to the sheet metal radiator guard in the front (where the stock one uses clips) and two large bolts into the subframe in the back.
      Writeups

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIdeasWereTaken View Post
      I have one of these brand new, which you can have for $50 shipped: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Front-Engine...ZYZgef&vxp=mtr
      My driveway is a 1/3 of a mile uphill- all gravel. It's got terrible ruts and bumps... I want to try and find something that'll give me the best protection possible 😧

I too have the IPD skid plate. My original was cracked, and IPD was having a sale.

It was a PIA to install, but ive been very happy with it, and it's been though a lot

Quote Originally Posted by ngysland View Post
      My driveway is a 1/3 of a mile uphill- all gravel. It's got terrible ruts and bumps... I want to try and find something that'll give me the best protection possible 😧

The Volvo aluminum skid plate offers the most protection. However, iPd said they are updating the design of theirs, so hopefully the redesign will cover the belts!

The Volvo aluminum skid plate offers the most protection. However, iPd said they are updating the design of theirs, so hopefully the redesign will cover the belts!
      The Volvo ones are like $350, which sucks...

I'd take it.

But I'm in Canada . Can we work something out?
      2005 V50 T5 AWD - Metallic Silver 426 - ELEVATE Stage I Tune - ELEVATE Rear Sway Bar - VIVA Performance Front Strut Bar - iPd Front Stabilizer Links - EuroSportTuning Drop-in Filter - Volvo 18' Medusa Wheels - Volvo R-Design Steering Wheel - Full LED Conversion

Nothing better than the Volvo Al one...except it hangs down a bit low.
      2005 S40 T5 AWD Stage 3
      2001 S60 LPT 2.5 swap, Speedtuning'd

Function > Form

Quote Originally Posted by m4gician View Post
      I'd take it.

But I'm in Canada . Can we work something out?
      PM'd

Quote Originally Posted by drjonez View Post
      Nothing better than the Volvo Al one...except it hangs down a bit low.
      Do you know if the Volvo Alum sits lower than the IPD Alum or do they sit about the same?
      2010 S40 T5 AWD M66 R-Desgin (The Unicorn) - KW V1 - FastCo FC04A - Elevate rear sway bar - Massive RaceSpec Adjustable Camber Arms - Huper Optik 40% ceramic tint - Shark Stage 1 Tune - Elevate upper and lower manifold - Elevate Intake

I guess another good question, are they the same for AWD and FWD?

Same for AWD and FWD.

IIRC, the Volvo plate and the iPd plate both sit at about the same height. They have a good 1" crumple room between the plate and the bottom of the oil pan.

Quote Originally Posted by hans gruber View Post
      Construction looks great but looks like you'd have to drop it every time for oil change and there's two huge holes in the front. I'd like to see it installed.
      2007 S40 2.4i Automatic
      Koni FSDs--Elevate Rear Swaybar--EST Strut bar--eFocus Torque Mount
      Halogen Upgrade Guide
      Wheels for sale

Quote Originally Posted by phish View Post
      Construction looks great but looks like you'd have to drop it every time for oil change and there's two huge holes in the front. I'd like to see it installed.
      But unless I've been doing it wrong, you have to drop the OEM plastic guard as well.
      2007 S40 T5 AWD

I have the IPD plate... got it a bit over a year ago I think. It covers the belts (the AC compressor has slung plenty of clutch dust on it as proof). It doesn't make any odd noises and seems just as sturdy as the RalliTEK one that I used to have on my Subaru (which makes sense... since iPD and RalliTEK are one and the same). It took a beating on that car and kept on going. There is a hole for lower engine mount clearance, and the oil service hole like the old ones have.

I managed to own the V50 for three years with no underside protection and not hit anything. Since I installed the skidplate I've hit something a couple times a year. It has lots of scrapes and a few gouges from incidents but it works fine. Engine bay stays dry except for what comes through the radiator/condenser in heavy rain. My only complaint is the lack of decent hardware, but I fixed that easily with a trip to the hardware store for some quality stainless stuff.
      Last edited by TurbineWagon; 01-16-2017 at 07:40 PM.
      -Zach
      '06 V50 T5 M66 FWD - Barents Blue - Viveka - 135,000mi
      Mods.
      '08 XC90 V8 Executive - Ember Black - Jet - 145,000mi
      No mods.

Quote Originally Posted by T5CO View Post
      But unless I've been doing it wrong, you have to drop the OEM plastic guard as well.
      Yep! OEM plastic guard gets dropped for oil changes. However, the IPD and OEM metal skid plates have cutouts for oil draining. The hardware they use to mount the heavier metal plates are more permanent than the plastic splash guard.
      2007 S40 2.4i Automatic
      Koni FSDs--Elevate Rear Swaybar--EST Strut bar--eFocus Torque Mount
      Halogen Upgrade Guide
      Wheels for sale

Just for fun, here's 7 years later with the IPD (click for big):

Note the cutout for the lower mount, the spacers in the back, where I had to hammer out the curl in the front, and where the hose clamp started to eat through the eDead.

Little bit of a mess - the drain plug loosened up on me some how...
      Writeups

The one I have covers the belts, and it's 7 years old. When was the update?
      Writeups

I think what MNIWT is referring to is IPD's response to my question 6 weeks back: http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthr...num-Skid-Plate.

Seeing this thread made me check again today and it appears they are back in stock! I need to order one as I finally got my AWD M66 2010 S40 in December. I'll start a progression thread in a few weeks, as I have been busy with the holidays and work.

I will be placing an order with IPD tomorrow for the plate and would be happy to take pictures/diagram the plate to see if there any differences.

-PersianElf

Something they are or have just finished working on. The iPd plate I got about 5 years ago did not fully cover the belts, which is why I got rid of it for the Miller Motoring prototype plate.

Something they are or have just finished working on. The iPd plate I got about 5 years ago did not fully cover the belts, which is why I got rid of it for the Miller Motoring prototype plate.
      Strange, unless they haven't updated their website yet this looks identical to mine, except a new cutout for the lower torque mount:

Still no reinforcements, or really any of my suggestions to Lucky. Bummer.
      Writeups

I'm considering trying to fabricate my own- possibly with an old stop sign 😋

Happy with the OEM one
      Garage Queen - 2010 C30 R-Design Vrooooooom
      Daily - 2016 V60 T5 Drive-E Vrooooooom
      Zichrona Livracha - 2004.5 S40 T5

Quote Originally Posted by ngysland View Post
      I'm considering trying to fabricate my own- possibly with an old stop sign 😋

Should work. As theshadow pointed out, if the plate is too thin it can vibrate/resonate without reinforcement. Be sure to upgrade the mounting points.
      2005 S40 T5 AWD Stage 3
      2001 S60 LPT 2.5 swap, Speedtuning'd

Function > Form

Quote Originally Posted by drjonez View Post
      Should work. As theshadow pointed out, if the plate is too thin it can vibrate/resonate without reinforcement. Be sure to upgrade the mounting points.
      Good idea. I want a beefy hunk of metal haha

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast