Full LED interior/exterior light swap, 2013 S60
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Full LED interior/exterior light swap, 2013 S60

Anything I need to know before swapping over all the interior/exterior lights to LED? I followed the bulb guide on here and purchased new puddle lights, license plate lights, 6 dome lights, footwell and trunk lights. Is it pretty straightforward or are any of them tricky? Tools I may need? Thanks!
      Daily Driver: 2013 S60 T6 R-Design Rebel Blue / Black, 65k, "Roxy"
      Garage Queen: 1995 850 T-5R Cream Yellow / Black, 93k, "Daisy"
      Past: 2005 S60R Black Sapphire / Nordkap, 88k, "Peggy"
      Past: 2000 V70R Laser Blue / Black, 174k, "Vicky"
      Past: 2000 S70 GLT SE Moondust / Beige, 175k, "Sandy"

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Go for it!
      I did the license plate, puddle, backup light, and trunk. I would imagine the interiors are more tricky.
      For what I did the puddle needed some care. I pulled off the mirror glass for better access. Pretty easy to do.
      Are you going to do the glove compartment as well? It's the same shape as the trunk but a little smaller.
      2012 S60 T5 Savile Gray/Beachwood

My cheap Chinese licence plate lights didn't last - I'd go for the brand-name ones (Philips or Sylvania)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      KECA Kombi - Now '16 V60 T6 AWD R-Design - Just a K&N filter so far, but love the PoleStar tune.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Subscribing. Did the LED backup lights improve your visibility / rearview camera clarity at night? Did you do the rear fog? I want to make mine brighter so I can make tailgaters more "safe" lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunnspeed View Post
      Subscribing. Did the LED backup lights improve your visibility / rearview camera clarity at night? Did you do the rear fog? I want to make mine brighter so I can make tailgaters more "safe" lol.
      I don't have a backup camera. But in all, I'd say the LEDs I got actually offer less light! They look cooler. I never bothered to put the originals back in.
      If someone gets nice bright LED for backup I'd be happy to try.
      I tried LED turn signal in the back but they were not better and acted funny so I returned them.
      Also changed the headlight bulb with an Orsam a while ago. One of them burned out last night so I put the originals back on both sides.

Quote Originally Posted by Almaz View Post
      I don't have a backup camera. But in all, I'd say the LEDs I got actually offer less light! They look cooler. I never bothered to put the originals back in.
      I tried LED turn signal in the back but they were not better and acted funny so I returned them.
      Also changed the headlight bulb with an Orsam a while ago. One of them burned out last night so I put the originals back on both sides.
      Thanks for your response, and for letting me know it didn't end up being brighter. Definitely more interested in making an improvement in illumination and less interested in changing it for aesthetic reasons. Hopefully someone can weigh in with suggestions that will help brighten things up back there. I need all the help I can get seeing out the back at night with my dark tint and dim lighting.
      2011 S60 T6 with Polestar tune
      13.1 at 101 mph

Current mods: KW V3 coilovers, DO88 fmic, Ferrita downpipe, Powerflex "race" torque mount inserts, more to come...

I'm trying to find some compatible headlight replacement bulbs that give off a cooler light to better match the DRLs. I had a pair of bulbs that were about 4300 Kelvin (not quite white enough to match but better than stock) that lasted about 30k miles before burning out within a couple weeks of each other.

I have not heard of this Orsam thing, so could you give me a link or some details on specs? Also, how long did that last before burning out?

Thanks!
      2015 S60 T5, Drive-E, Premier Plus; Power Blue w/Beechwood; Climate Package; Sport Package (sport chassis w/Bors) - my first Volvo.

Quote Originally Posted by Darwin034 View Post
      I'm trying to find some compatible headlight replacement bulbs that give off a cooler light to better match the DRLs. I had a pair of bulbs that were about 4300 Kelvin (not quite white enough to match but better than stock) that lasted about 30k miles before burning out within a couple weeks of each other.

I have not heard of this Orsam thing, so could you give me a link or some details on specs? Also, how long did that last before burning out?

Thanks!
      Search for these on Amazon. They are the ones I got:

OSRAM - Night Breaker Unlimited H11 Halogen Bulbs Germany (Pair)

I got them end of September 2015 so they only lasted about 15 months and maybe 12K miles (I'd have to check).
      I don't do a whole lot of night driving and don't have the driving lights on so they were not overused.
      While I like the light they put out and the fact it was whiter than OEM I will not invest in another pair unless it makes a much brighter light and lasts longer. In any case I don't want to invest much money in the car at this point outside of maintenance.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I am running Phillips Diamond Vision H11's in mine at the moment. You give up light output for down road vision, but color match on LED DRL's is very close for a halogen bulb. I had looked into swapping for LED headlights, but I've heard too many issues with running LED's inside a dust cover. Got them from an authorized Phillips retailer for $40. Figure they'll last me a year.

Quote Originally Posted by MTKill View Post
      I am running Phillips Diamond Vision H11's in mine at the moment. You give up light output for down road vision, but color match on LED DRL's is very close for a halogen bulb. I had looked into swapping for LED headlights, but I've heard too many issues with running LED's inside a dust cover. Got them from an authorized Phillips retailer for $40. Figure they'll last me a year.
      I have these in our 2016 XC60 and they have been wonderful and so far so good after nearly 18 months and 14k miles they look good as new; knock on wood!
      2015 V60 T6 AWD R-Design - Passion Red/Off Black, Platinum/Tech/Climate/BLIS/19" Ixion II, KN Filter, IPD Catback Exhaust, IPD Rear Swaybar {His}
      2016 XC60 T6 AWD - Osmium Grey/Off Black {Hers}
      FS Items: XC60 Cargo Cover
      SOLD:1994 940 Turbo/2004 S40 LSE/2007 S60R/2010 Mazda3 i-touring/2012 S60RD/2013 S60 T5AWD

Hey Almaz, since your P3, I'm thinking its pretty easy for the interior lights. Just need six canbus 194 bulbs. Pull on a corner or use a small screwdriver to get the first latch out and then work your way around. I actually just swapped them all out for some different LED's with my 8 year old last weekend and probably took us all of five minutes to do both the map/dome/rear light swap.

Hey Almaz, since your P3, I'm thinking its pretty easy for the interior lights. Just need six canbus 194 bulbs. Pull on a corner or use a small screwdriver to get the first latch out and then work your way around. I actually just swapped them all out for some different LED's with my 8 year old last weekend and probably took us all of five minutes to do both the map/dome/rear light swap.
      Cool, thanks.
      Which LEDs did you buy?

Most of my stuff has come from either superbrightleds.com or autolumination.com

Both have good range of products and fast shipping. I've done my entire interior, license and puddle lights at this point.

Cool, thanks.
      Which LEDs did you buy?
      Read from Post #22 on my V60 Build Thread, I did a write up with the links to the LED bulbs you need to do the interior dome lights; 2011-2013 models use the same 194 bulb for the footwell lights so you'll need two extra bulbs from what I did on my 2015 which already has LEDs in the footwells.

For headlamp comparison of the Philips bulbs vs stock Osram bulbs go to Post #38 of my XC60 Build Thread. For the license plate LEDs I used go to Post #59.
      2015 V60 T6 AWD R-Design - Passion Red/Off Black, Platinum/Tech/Climate/BLIS/19" Ixion II, KN Filter, IPD Catback Exhaust, IPD Rear Swaybar {His}
      SOLD:1994 940 Turbo/2004 S40 LSE/2007 S60R/2010 Mazda3 i-touring/2012 S60RD/2013 S60 T5AWD

Thanks MT. I will look into these.
      2015 S60 T5, Drive-E, Premier Plus; Power Blue w/Beechwood; Climate Package; Sport Package (sport chassis w/Bors) - my first Volvo.

Quote Originally Posted by PureDrive07 View Post
      Read from Post #22 on my V60 Build Thread, I did a write up with the links to the LED bulbs you need to do the interior dome lights; 2011-2013 models use the same 194 bulb for the footwell lights so you'll need two extra bulbs from what I did on my 2015 which already has LEDs in the footwells.

For headlamp comparison of the Philips bulbs vs stock Osram bulbs go to Post #38 of my XC60 Build Thread. For the license plate LEDs I used go to Post #59.
      Thanks. I just ordered 8 pieces of each. Not cheap but hopefully worth it.
      I took out the fixture to examine how to change the bulbs. It was hard to remove the bulb and it seems I chipped one of the edges where the connection is made. It looks easy enough to change them with LEDs.
      When I put the original bulb back in it would not work. That is why I also ordered 8 bases since I don't know if the bulbs are fused to the base somehow. I don't want to get the LED lights only to find out I need new bases for one reason or another.
      In any case, I am looking forward to getting them

Looked up the Philips you recommended, and then wandered the internet and found this. You mentioned issues you've heard with LED kits....can you offer some insights about why I might want to stay away from this? Assuming it's a heat issue.....

https://www.carid.com/2015-volvo-s60...219224475.html

Superbrightleds.com also has a new unit with a compact heat sink, that they are saying should be fine within a dust cover, but I'm still wary. The heat issue within the dust cover is where I've read there are issues for multiple makes of vehicles. There isn't much room to fit an extended bulb in our headlight unit, and then we also likely need an anti-flicker unit to also fit inside there. I'd definitely much rather make the move to LED, but haven't seen it successfully documented and done with longer term results posted to this message board. If someone has had LED in for a decent amount of time and wants to share, please do.

So, does anyone know of a brighter backup light option? LEDs would be kewl but I'd be happy with any bulb that actually lights up the area better than the stock setup. This isn't for aesthetic reasons, but to improve illumination in order for me to see more clearly when reversing at night and when using the backup camera.

Brighter rear fog would be great, too.
      13.1 at 101 mph

Current mods: KW V3 coilovers, DO88 fmic, Ferrita downpipe, Powerflex "race" torque mount inserts, more to come...

I'm right there with you. I live in the country and can't see S#@* when backing up. I just got a set of adapters to run LED's on my reverse lights hoping for better output, but seems to only have a white color, not much throw. I've seen some aftermarket add on kits that throw a laser pattern out, but doubt that will get me what I want in the end. Keep me posted if you find anything good.

So, does anyone know of a brighter backup light option?
      +1
      Tried these and went back to oem halogen bulb.
      http://www.ebay.ca/itm/2x-Error-Free...dWSzQI&vxp=mtr
      2001 V70 2.4T.. RIP
      2011 S60 T6 AWD.. just beginning....
      * IPD rear sway bar + links / IPD DEM cover / IPD skid plate
      * Hybrid Audio Imagine I61-2 / sound deadening

Quote Originally Posted by harleyvh View Post
      +1
      Tried these and went back to oem halogen bulb.
      http://www.ebay.ca/itm/2x-Error-Free...dWSzQI&vxp=mtr
      Is there a brighter than stock halogen bulb available?
      13.1 at 101 mph

Is there a brighter than stock halogen bulb available?
      Not that I'm aware of...

Contrary to the P2 reverse 1156 for which one could get a H1556 like these
      http://www.ebay.ca/itm/WAGNER-QUALIT...iBeqsg&vxp=mtr

One is kind of stuck at 21W in regards to halogen BAY9S for the P3...
      2001 V70 2.4T.. RIP

When I had my v60, I had nothing but issues with led license plate lights. The ones with the built in resistors lasted for like two weeks before one would burn up. The Phillips ones are the ticket, but you have to run inline resistors with them, no big deal, just not as "plug and play".
      16 XC90 T6 Inscription
      12 VW Eos Executive
      04 Land Rover Discovery

Quote Originally Posted by LowlyOilBurner View Post
      When I had my v60, I had nothing but issues with led license plate lights. The ones with the built in resistors lasted for like two weeks before one would burn up. The Phillips ones are the ticket, but you have to run inline resistors with them, no big deal, just not as "plug and play".
      I have "flashing" led license plate lights...
      Part of this kit on ebay
      I had to buy these sockets on amazon for the interior dome lights.
      What Philips bulb did you install on your license?
      2001 V70 2.4T.. RIP

Quick update on my situation: I bought 13 bulbs total from superbrightleds. 10 socket style cool white LEDs, and 3 festoon style cool white LEDs. It was all pretty easy to install, the only ones that gave me trouble were the drivers footwell and the two puddle lights. I had my technician friend help me with the puddle lights. The mirror pops off easier than I was thinking which definitely helps for installation.

Overall, super satisfied with the look. Total cost was about $75 but these seem to be good quality bulbs that will outlast my vehicle haha

My order from Superbrightleds did not go through thee first time so I did it again. I went for 8 natural white LEDs for the interior and 8 holders just in case they give me a hard time coming out (one did when I was exploring). I was debating between the natural white and the cool white and was afraid the cool white would not look so good so I went for the natural.
      The Cree license plate LEDs I bought a while ago are the best. I bought two more and used one for the trunk. I was hoping to use the other for the glove compartment but it needs a slightly smaller one.
      The puddle lights I bought (a pack of 10 from amazon) are so so. The ones in the picture above look so much better, are these the same as the inside lights from superbrightleds?

My order from Superbrightleds did not go through thee first time so I did it again. I went for 8 natural white LEDs for the interior and 8 holders just in case they give me a hard time coming out (one did when I was exploring). I was debating between the natural white and the cool white and was afraid the cool white would not look so good so I went for the natural.
      The Cree license plate LEDs I bought a while ago are the best. I bought two more and used one for the trunk. I was hoping to use the other for the glove compartment but it needs a slightly smaller one.
      The puddle lights I bought (a pack of 10 from amazon) are so so. The ones in the picture above look so much better, are these the same as the inside lights from superbrightleds?
      The puddle lights are the same as the interior ones, yup

Thanks. I should have ordered two more while I was at it and saved on shipping.

license plate LED

The Cree license plate LEDs I bought a while ago are the best.

Can you point me in the direction of where to by the correct bulbs for my V60 for license plate LED. I have tried 2 different options off of ebay and they last a month max then burn out.

Thanks

Sure. These are the ones I got from Amazon marketplace:
      https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00M77ZZYU..._pI6JybN6HZG8Y

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by ckmack View Post
      Quick update on my situation: I bought 13 bulbs total from superbrightleds. 10 socket style cool white LEDs, and 3 festoon style cool white LEDs. It was all pretty easy to install, the only ones that gave me trouble were the drivers footwell and the two puddle lights. I had my technician friend help me with the puddle lights. The mirror pops off easier than I was thinking which definitely helps for installation.

Overall, super satisfied with the look. Total cost was about $75 but these seem to be good quality bulbs that will outlast my vehicle haha

But you didn't do headlights? Just checking because that's the thing I'm most interested in.

Quote Originally Posted by Darwin034 View Post
      But you didn't do headlights? Just checking because that's the thing I'm most interested in.
      He has an R-Design which comes with Xenon headlamps.

Quote Originally Posted by PureDrive07 View Post
      He has an R-Design which comes with Xenon headlamps.
      Good call.... Just testing you guys.

Quote Originally Posted by ckmack View Post

how did you change the puddle lights. i tried hard but i couldnt.
      2014 s60 d2

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast