SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

2005 XC90 Muffler Delete with custom 3" quad exhaust

7K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  R-Pow3R3d 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey all,

Well I had the OBX catback exhaust and the tips were crooked and the cost to re-clock the mufflers was going to be more than just buying new tips and having custom pipes bent to attach to the OBX y-pipe. Well I'm quite impressed again with the sound as it is much more masculine and the look steps it up to that of an SRT Jeep or high end sports car.

Here is a little startup video followed by some pics:

See less See more
1 3
#2 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hey all,

Well I had the OBX catback exhaust and the tips were crooked and the cost to re-clock the mufflers was going to be more than just buying new tips and having custom pipes bent to attach to the OBX y-pipe. Well I'm quite impressed again with the sound as it is much more masculine and the look steps it up to that of an SRT Jeep or high end sports car.

What exhausts are they how did you get the pipes like that and what is the cost?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#4 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hey all,

Are you saying that you removed the mufflers to get the tips straight?

#5 ·
Those are all new tips:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009R6ZSWI/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Yonaka 2.5" Inlet 3.5" Outlet Dual Angled Universal Stainless Steel Exhaust Tips

The OBX kit comes with 4 sections - 2 mufflers with 2 round tips each, 1 y-pipe, and a long primary muffler just after the cats.
I removed the 2 mufflers with the 2 round tips each. I kept everything else.

It cost me $220 for the custom pipes in stainless and custom hangers. The cutouts are already there you just have to cut the passenger side out. A dremel tool works great for that part.

The only downside is you lose your spare tire. If you have the 3rd row seats like mine there is no way to clock the spare tire holder to make everything fit tight again. (I tried)

I might do a basket and toss a spare up there....don't know yet. I need to work out the other issues I'm having with the folding mirrors first.

#6 ·
Any drone from the lack of the rear mufflers?

I was debating going the same route but at 600-700 for that OBX system just to delete and throw away some of the stuff its better to just go the custom route I think. May cost less in the end.

#7 ·
Any drone from the lack of the rear mufflers?

I was debating going the same route but at 600-700 for that OBX system just to delete and throw away some of the stuff its better to just go the custom route I think. May cost less in the end.
Your absolutely right. My mistake and misfortune can be a money saver for the rest of you!

So for the tips and custom work it was about $280. If you want to have your own cat back custom done I would go with a long Magnaflow muffler Part # 10415:
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/mpe-10415/overview/ for around $85 and then have the 2.25 custom split before or at the axle to 2.5 to match the tips.

I would think the total cost to do a full on custom set up like mine would max out at $500, that's including labor. At least I wouldn't pay any more than that.

The drone is not bad at all. In fact because I had the tips set outwards almost 2" it reduced it to incredibly tolerable. About the same as the OBX system.

#9 ·
If you can actually find one. But then again it's the civilized thing I have a problem with. If I'm going to do a tongue in cheek of a Ferrari build then I want noisy as hell just like the Ferrari's. lol

The OE Sport kit is an awesome exhaust if I had an 10'-14'. More money in the tuck in value. The older it gets the less inclined I am to spend crazy amounts on OE stuff. That is unless I find it on eBay or recycler something.

#10 ·
If you can actually find one. But then again it's the civilized thing I have a problem with. If I'm going to do a tongue in cheek of a Ferrari build then I want noisy as hell just like the Ferrari's. lol
Sounds like you need to go straight pipe! ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.