Cars to flat tow behind a motorhome
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to SwedeSpeed
    You're currently browsing Swedespeed as a guest. Please sign up or sign in and take part in the conversation with other Volvo owners and enthusiasts. With more 2 million posts our community is one of the most active groups of Volvo owners in the world. Take a moment to sign up and enjoy all of the features our forums have to offer.

Cars to flat tow behind a motorhome

Anyone familiar with what cars can be flat towed (all four on the ground) behind a motorhome? My folks are looking for a tow vehicle and apparently not many cars are recommended for flat towing.

thanks.

chris@swedespeed.com
      2006 V70R | 6MT | Electric Silver/Atacama | 3rd row | 18" Pegs | Kenwood DNX690HD with steering wheel controls
      2012 XC90 R-Design | NAV | RSE | 20" Cratus | Curt hitch

Re: Cars to flat tow behind a motorhome (Chris@Swedespeed)

Most cars should be towed with the drive wheels off the ground, at least in an ideal world. Most 2WD cars can be flat-towed, but it's not ideal. Flat-towing is a big no-no for vehicles with full-time AWD/4WD.

Jeeps can be flat towed, as can just about any SUV/truck with a Neutral position on the transfer case. You can tow a FWD or RWD vehicle, but ideally you'd want to disconnect the driveshaft(s) to guarauntee no transmission or differential damage will occur.

Re: Cars to flat tow behind a motorhome (anony00gt)

it seems the Saturn and Chevy Lumina are popular choices for flat towing. RWD trucks are not listed as towable but 4WD are. None of the Subarus, Volvos (FWD or AWD).

My dad is looking to keep the total weight under 5000lbs. With a 2000lb trailer (4 wheels off the ground), the car would have to be under 3000 lbs, tough these days. They plan on traveling out west with hills and the V10 Ford is what he'll have in the motorhome.

chris@swedespeed.com
      2006 V70R | 6MT | Electric Silver/Atacama | 3rd row | 18" Pegs | Kenwood DNX690HD with steering wheel controls

Some light cars that might be fun to do some tootling around in are, Mazda miata, RX-8, Nissan sentra (spec V ), Subie impreza TS and RS are just under 3000, Honda del sol. You never said what the goal was, if they want a small comuter and how much $$$, all of the above are quite reasonable second hand, even RX-8's down there are under 20 now. Mid nineties miata's are cheap.
      2004 V70R, red/atacama with a stick and pretty much totally stock.

Re: Cars to flat tow behind a motorhome (vintagemilano)

People DO tow a lot of Saturns.
      Just today saw a Honda Element behind a motor home
      Email: jrl1194(at)aol.com
      If the subject is car purchase related please use jrl1194(at)gmail.com
      2006 XC70 White/Black 62K miles, new daily driver
      2000 V70R wife's. Won't sell, now 123K miles and still perfect
      1994 Lincoln Continental. Showroom condition, LOW miles

Re: Cars to flat tow behind a motorhome (JRL)

Lately i've seen a lot of mobile homes pulling honda accords here through the smokies............

Re: Cars to flat tow behind a motorhome (Maynard)

Dad has got bad knees from his time in the military so a low sports car is out, he'd like something sporty but too much of a hassle for him.

I'll let him know about the Honda Element, that might work, they talked about a small four door pickup.

thanks.

chris@swedespeed.com

Re: Cars to flat tow behind a motorhome (JRL)

Quote, originally posted by JRL »
      Just today saw a Honda Element behind a motor home

Are you sure it wasn't just a flat sided trailer????

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to slide in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "Holy ****, what a ride!"

That explains my sighting yesterday. It was a convoy of 6 RV's. Different manufacturers all towing a Saturn of different models.

Re: Cars to flat tow behind a motorhome (2k2S80t6)

I'd get one of them clown car looking things - that Scion that looks like a four door Mini. Seems like a neat car to haul along behind a motorhome...

My parents tow a 4WD Mazda automatic pick-up behind their Monaco. He has the drive shaft interlock thingy that allows it to freewheel and a brake buddy to help with stopping. Seems a little heavy to me but they like it. I also see a lot of Saturns being towed and I think there is something unique about their automatic transmissions.
      Past: '94 854, '99 S70 T5 SE, '99 S70 GLT, '04 S60RM, '12 S60 T5, '13 S60 T5
      Present: '13 MX5 Club Sport, '15 S60 RD, '05 V70RGT

Quote, originally posted by vintagemilano »
      Some light cars that might be fun to do some tootling around in are, Mazda miata, RX-8, Nissan sentra (spec V ), Subie impreza TS and RS are just under 3000, Honda del sol. You never said what the goal was, if they want a small comuter and how much $$$, all of the above are quite reasonable second hand, even RX-8's down there are under 20 now. Mid nineties miata's are cheap.

It's safe to assume goal is basic transportation while on vacation, nothing more. Subarus and other AWD cars can not be flat-towed. I also don't know how you'd get a front hitch on a Miata or RX-8.

A Saturn would be an ideal car. The reason 4WD trucks are listed as flat-towable and 2WD trucks aren't, is because the 4WD models usually have a Neutral position on the transfer case for this purpose.

Re: Cars to flat tow behind a motorhome (anony00gt)

Quote, originally posted by anony00gt »
      It's safe to assume goal is basic transportation while on vacation, nothing more. Subarus and other AWD cars can not be flat-towed. I also don't know how you'd get a front hitch on a Miata or RX-8.

A Saturn would be an ideal car. The reason 4WD trucks are listed as flat-towable and 2WD trucks aren't, is because the 4WD models usually have a Neutral position on the transfer case for this purpose.

True, from his original post he was also looking for basic transportation that weights less than 3000lbs that could be put on a small four wheels off the ground trailer. In that case all my idea's would have made for fun tooling around.

2004 V70R, red/atacama with a stick and pretty much totally stock.

Do the Saturn.
      (Happen to have a very nice 97 for sale CHEAP )
      JRL
      Email: jrl1194(at)aol.com
      If the subject is car purchase related please use jrl1194(at)gmail.com
      2006 XC70 White/Black 62K miles, new daily driver
      2000 V70R wife's. Won't sell, now 123K miles and still perfect
      1994 Lincoln Continental. Showroom condition, LOW miles

Saw an RV flat-towing a Suzuki yesterday on the freeway. I believe it is a late model (Grand) Vitara.

Freddy

Global Moderator

Re: Cars to flat tow behind a motorhome (radioflyer)

Last-year Fiero V6 GT.

George Dill

Re: Cars to flat tow behind a motorhome (gdill2)

Just today i saw two motorhomes, both pulling new chevy silverado club cabs.

Re: Cars to flat tow behind a motorhome (Maynard)

How about a Ford Focus ZX3?

Reasonably priced car new or used and it's fun to drive.

Gets decent gas milage and has seating for up to five adults so long as you like each other.

Re: Cars to flat tow behind a motorhome (Shomare)

I have some friends that towed an Acura Integra behind their RV, then upgraded to an RSX S that tows just as well. Be careful with who you have install the towing equipment.

I have heard many say that Saturns are good for towing, I believe they even come pre fit with some of the towing parts.