My top went nuts
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

My top went nuts

From time to time my top would throw a fit saying it was open, all I'd had to do was reset the top by lifting the top button it would reset the locks. A few days ago it went off the deep end, it would not reset. So I got it home with the insane buzzing about the top being open parked in the garage.
      So I have been playing around with it I know it's in the electronics so I've been disassembling the trunk and I've found the insulator use around the pump is a big freaking sponge! my trunk is dry but that padding is soaked so bad I had to ring it out in a sink. I'm going to dry the padding out clean up any corrosion I find and I'll fill you in on it.

Anyone else run into this?

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Water or hydro fluid?

Water, I've got the pump out and am cleaning the corrosion off the unit I've going to check the values but my dice checked them as all ok just cleaning and man the sludge in the pump it uses power steering fluid so I'll replace it with pentosin chf 202. I've found tiny shards of glass in the bottom of the trunk so I imagine the back window was broken at some point which allowed the water to enter. The trunk has always been dry in my ownership of this car.
      Guys check your fluid remember nothing lasts the lifetime of the vehicle.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by CJ2 View Post
      Water, I've got the pump out and am cleaning the corrosion off the unit I've going to check the values but my dice checked them as all ok just cleaning and man the sludge in the pump it uses power steering fluid so I'll replace it with pentosin chf 202. I've found tiny shards of glass in the bottom of the trunk so I imagine the back window was broken at some point which allowed the water to enter. The trunk has always been dry in my ownership of this car.
      Guys check your fluid remember nothing lasts the lifetime of the vehicle.
      Please pardon my ignorance, but what pump are you referring to? This is something I'd like to make sure I'm aware of!

The top is powered by a hydraulic pump located in the trunk of the c70

Quote Originally Posted by CJ2 View Post
      The top is powered by a hydraulic pump located in the trunk of the c70
      Right on, thanks!

9. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements