(Video) XC90 3.2 engine noise from belt area - pulley?
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Unhappy (Video) XC90 3.2 engine noise from belt area - pulley?

Here's the video. I suspect that the bearings in a pulley are dying, but wanted opinions:

It's clearly coming from the rear of the engine (belt area). Sometimes the noise occurs, sometimes not at all. It starts and stops abruptly. Yesterday it was making an even stranger noise, almost like a power steering pump buzzing. Yesterday's noise came suddenly and disappeared suddenly just like today's chirping/rattling noise.

To cloud the matter a bit, I think my PS pump inherently makes a little bit of noise, but I suspect this is due to a PO fluid snafu that I need to fix. But I've never heard a PS pump noise abruptly occur then stop at random.

edit: 82k miles

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

The water pump and the power steering pump are married and the pulley that this serpentine belt goes across is their wedding band.

What the... ? This is an odd configuration. Hooray for the READ setup...

I would hope that that is just one of the two idler pulleys because if not it sounds expensive. I did mine at about 180k kms but they were still pretty quiet as I recall. One of them comes with the belt tensioner included and has a pin holding the spring in tension that you remove once installed.

If it is something other than an idler if you put a bar from the noisy component to your ear you should be able to find it right away.

I certainly would not run it until it is fixed.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Idler and tensioner pulley would be my first suspects.
      If you have ever gotten a battery warning light, I have seen the bolt that holds the drive gear from the READ drive to the alternator become loose.
      Another noise in that area can be the water pump coupling from the power steering pulley that drives the water pump. Bad water pump bearings can also be heard around that area.
      AC Clutches I've seen go bad as well.
      2006 S60 T5 Mystic Silver/Off Black Sport, Factory Body Kit, 18" BBS's, Hilton Stage 2.5, 11 Blade, IPD Intercooler, Green Injectors, OBX 3" DP, Elevate 3" Exhaust, IPD Sways, H&R Springs, R Gauges, Burnouts @45mph
      2008 V8 Sport Passion/Off Black Thai Leather

Here's the funny thing. The noise only happened on that one day and then went away. I've seen idler pulleys do this before...

No battery warning light, but that's a really good tip on the alternator bolt.

I have the alternator groan and the 3.2 startup song. This is a noisy car, haha.

One possibility to eliminate is a clogged pcv system. I had a 3.2 making a similar noise for me that I thought was idler pulley, but turned out to be pcv. If you pull the dipstick with the engine running and the noise stops it's likely a clogged PCV system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      2015 XC70 T6, Crystal White Pearl/Soft Beige. 40k
      2008 XC90 V8, Black Sapphire Metallic/Sandstone. 95k.
      Past Volvos: 2005 S60R GT, Passion Red/Gobi; 1995 855 Turbo; 1985 745 Intercooler

9. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements