Ongoing build - 2005 V50T with Elevate tune and 200K - Page 3
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
      Quote Originally Posted by mercdude View Post
      Did you ever adjust your rear camber?
      Yep! Details above, but I ended up adjusting it manually and eyeballing it. Works well enough for now.
      - Brian
      Michigander, aspiring lumberjack, Subaru Ambassador

2005 V50 AWD - "V."

Elevate tune, Heico suspension, & 199K miles

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I had a feeler thread out there to see if there was any interest in purchasing the V50, but interest dwindled and I decided we're keeping it. We're only 500 miles away from the 200K heritage club!

Spent a great day with the mom wagon today. Since we purchased this car, I became a Subaru Ambassador. It's been great, but it means that when I'm not driving a company fleet vehicle, I'm driving the Subaru. My wife has been driving the mom wagon but I'm trading her for a while so I can get some seat time to see if the car needs anything that she's not noticing.

I took a few hours today and cleaned it - and I mean CLEANED. It's cleaner than it's been in years, I'm sure. Felt good to wipe it all down, deep clean and vacuum. I also replaced the PS motor mount that I've had for a few months. Like any other job, I was nervous about it since I've never done it before. Man, it was easy. One of the bolts was extremely stubborn and took a ton of effort to break loose, but it's done. The one I replaced might have been stock, but can't tell for sure. It was bubbled and spongy, and looked like it was leaking quite a bit.

The wagon is out in the driveway, air drying. First drive with the new mount will be tomorrow - hoping to feel some improvement in the rattling from the front end.

Did a quick inspection of the underbody - everything seems solid. Bushings, springs, tie rods. Didn't realize I was missing a skid plate! It's so damn low to the ground, and that belt is only about 3-4 inches from the pavement. Makes me nervous, so I'm bumping that iPD aluminum plate WAY up on my list. I'll be investigating a very slow coolant leak - looks like it's just a hose somewhere. Few drips on the pavement. Checked air pressure in the tires while I was at it, and a visual inspection of all the brake pads. She's in great shape.
      - Brian

2005 V50 AWD - "V."

Be sensitive to coolant leaks. There's about 3 areas it could be leaking, 2 of which mean big problems. The drivers side radiator hose can leak where it connects to the radiator. That hose also has a catastrophic failure point in the middle where a plastic fitting is - if that hose hasn't been replaced, do it asap! Many of overheated p1s have resulted from that. The other place to look at is the heater core connectors under the dash. If a bad o ring the leak will slowly increase in severity and may ultimately claim your cem. Ask me how I know - all 3 of these have happened to my unicorn

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      2005 V50 T5 AWD M66

Be sensitive to coolant leaks. There's about 3 areas it could be leaking, 2 of which mean big problems. The drivers side radiator hose can leak where it connects to the radiator. That hose also has a catastrophic failure point in the middle where a plastic fitting is - if that hose hasn't been replaced, do it asap! Many of overheated p1s have resulted from that. The other place to look at is the heater core connectors under the dash. If a bad o ring the leak will slowly increase in severity and may ultimately claim your cem. Ask me how I know - all 3 of these have happened to my unicorn
      Sheesh. Thanks for the heads up! I have been keeping an eye on the level in the reservoir and filling it as needed to keep it from overheating. Been a splash or two every other day.

The heater core connectors under the dash - what do those look like? I can check the hose near the radiator but I'm not familiar with the heater core.
      - Brian

2005 V50 AWD - "V."

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Stilts View Post
      Sheesh. Thanks for the heads up! I have been keeping an eye on the level in the reservoir and filling it as needed to keep it from overheating. Been a splash or two every other day.

The heater core connectors under the dash - what do those look like? I can check the hose near the radiator but I'm not familiar with the heater core.
      I'd be worried about the heater core/hoses if there was a coolant smell in the cabin and more so if the passenger side carpet was soaked in coolant.
      Garage Queen - 2010 C30 R-Design Vrooooooom
      Daily - 2016 V60 T5 Drive-E Vrooooooom
      Zichrona Livracha - 2004.5 S40 T5

The problem is that coolant gets underneath the carpet, between the foam and floor board so you may not smell anything. I certainly didn't notice any smell of anti-freeze and I had about a gallon of coolant under the carpets. I only figured out there was a problem with the heater core after I noticed a few small drops of coolant on the floor mat. Honestly, I was shocked to discover how much coolant was under the carpet.

And check out this thread http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthr...ng-Replacement
      2005 V50 T5 AWD M66

http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthr...005-V50-T5-AWD

She's for sale. Needs a head gasket.
      - Brian

2005 V50 AWD - "V."

! So many questions: what the heck happened - you went from a "few drips" to "not running"? Was it an internal head gasket failure or external? How'd you find out?
      2005 V50 T5 AWD M66

I noticed something went wrong. I saw the updated Craigslist ad. Go for the part out! You'll make the $2k your asking for the car as is.

'10 s40 m66 awd
      '12 c30
      2010 s40 T5 AWD M66 R1 Slotted Rotors&EBC Red Stuff, straightpipe, eibach springs

! So many questions: what the heck happened - you went from a "few drips" to "not running"? Was it an internal head gasket failure or external? How'd you find out?
      It's all still a blur! I'm still processing the fact that it's just sitting in my driveway, immobile. My wife was driving it at the time, so I'm trying to piece it all together. She said there was smoke coming from the hood, and then she lost throttle response. It could have been coolant steam. She pulled off the highway and tried restarting the vehicle, but no dice. When I got there, there was oil and coolant covering the engine bay. We got it towed to the shop where it was diagnosed - needs a head gasket. And here she sits.

Quote Originally Posted by thefisch33 View Post
      I noticed something went wrong. I saw the updated Craigslist ad. Go for the part out! You'll make the $2k your asking for the car as is.

'10 s40 m66 awd
      '12 c30
      I want to part it out! I just need time. And more tools. And stock parts. It's just not feasible for my situation at the moment. I want someone to take this from me and breathe new life into it.

- Brian

2005 V50 AWD - "V."

I think it may be also an option to do an engine swap. There is someone in Michigan who has done one or two already from salvaged cars.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      SOLD:: 2006 V50 T5 AWD AW55, 320mm FR Brake upgrade, Elevate Intake, OBX Exhaust.
      2010 XC90 V8 Executive Latest Addition.
      2008 XC90 V8 Executive Edition, w/Muffler Delete.
      2005 XC90 V8 Black, VB replaced, S60R Brake Swaped
      2013 Jetta Sportwagen TDI 6spd. Malone S2 tuned 200hp/350tq.

Quote Originally Posted by V50R View Post
      I think it may be also an option to do an engine swap. There is someone in Michigan who has done one or two already from salvaged cars.
      Hey, if you're offering to pay for the engine and labor.... Sadly it's just not in the books for me right now.
      - Brian

2005 V50 AWD - "V."

Well, with a blown headgasket and with that many miles on the chassis, I think you should drop the price to something more like $1000.
      2005 V50 T5 AWD M66

If those bike racks are compatible with the OEM load bars on a S40, I'm interested. Shoot me a PM if you're willing to ship to CO.
      2007 S40 T5 AWD

Well, with a blown headgasket and with that many miles on the chassis, I think you should drop the price to something more like $1000.
      Agreed. Wanted to shoot high. I've received two offers at $1000 so far, so I'm hoping one of them sticks.

Quote Originally Posted by T5CO View Post
      If those bike racks are compatible with the OEM load bars on a S40, I'm interested. Shoot me a PM if you're willing to ship to CO.
      Sorry, already being used on my Subaru
      - Brian

2005 V50 AWD - "V."

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Stilts View Post
      Agreed. Wanted to shoot high. I've received two offers at $1000 so far, so I'm hoping one of them sticks.

Sorry, already being used on my Subaru
      I think getting somewhere between 1-1.5k is reasonable since from what I've read you have a fair amount of of aftermarket parts (+ the Elevate tuner), and new tires right?

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
      2005 Volvo S40 T5 AWD M66 || 1987 Toyota MR2 || 2002 Lexus IS300 [hers] || 2008 Volvo V50 T5 [Sold 2016] || 2001 Acura Integra GSR [Stolen 2010 lol]

Quote Originally Posted by V50toS40 View Post
      I think getting somewhere between 1-1.5k is reasonable since from what I've read you have a fair amount of of aftermarket parts (+ the Elevate tuner), and new tires right?

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
      All correct save for the tires. Almost bought them a few days before this happened, and decided to keep the ones on currently until the end of summer.

I have a gentleman purchasing the car from me in a week or so; do these have OEM intercoolers? I feel silly for asking, but I am still very unfamiliar with my first turbo engine.
      - Brian

2005 V50 AWD - "V."

Last edited by V50toS40; 06-12-2017 at 07:35 PM. Reason: Being a forgetful noob
      2005 Volvo S40 T5 AWD M66 || 1987 Toyota MR2 || 2002 Lexus IS300 [hers] || 2008 Volvo V50 T5 [Sold 2016] || 2001 Acura Integra GSR [Stolen 2010 lol]

Quote Originally Posted by V50toS40 View Post
      Yep. See here.
      Thank you! Even though there's nothing to see...
      - Brian

2005 V50 AWD - "V."

Oh, and to add to the misery, this showed up yesterday.

359 measly damn miles was all I had to drive.

I'm glad I found someone who is taking the time to give it new life and reach this goal. New engine is being put into it.
      - Brian

2005 V50 AWD - "V."

22. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3