Ongoing build - 2005 V50T with Elevate tune and 200K
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Ongoing build - 2005 V50T with Elevate tune & 200K - "V."

I'd like to introduce my new project - a 2005 V50 T AWD with an Elevate tune and almost 200K on the clock. It's been named "V." (for Vendetta).

I've read almost every piece of information I can regarding these cars; I'm new to Volvos but not new to vehicle maintenance / repairs, etc. I am, however, from the other side of the world. The rugged, uncomfortable, utilitarian vehicle side. My previous project was a Nissan Xterra that was upgraded for off-road usage, and my other car is a Subaru hatchback. A growing family and a few life changes had me looking at more comfortable, fuel-efficient vehicles. Enter Volvos. Living in Michigan, I won't ever own a FWD vehicle, so the Subaru and V50 are both AWD. This thread will be used to keep track of what’s been done, what will be done, and seeing how far past 200K I’ll be able to push this beautiful little wagon. I do plan to travel with it, mostly inner state, and I’m looking forward to seeing what kinds of places I can get to off the beaten path. My goals are to keep it simple, keep it practical, and keep it looking like a Volvo.

Stats:
      Year: 2005
      Make: Volvo
      Model: V50 T AWD
      Drivetrain: 2.4L T5 automatic
      Color: Black

Quick Reference

January 2017 / 194,000 miles
      Vehicle registered, sunroof leak fixed, wrap-around tint installed (20% rear, 35% front), headlamps and fog lamps replaced, spark plugs replaced.
      Timing belt done at 130K, battery and alternator replaced in 2016.

March 2017 / 196,000 miles
      AWD alignment completed, rear camber adjusted / corrected.

Modifications & upgrades:

[X] IPD front & rear sway bars
      [X] EuroSport Tuning strut brace
      [X] SS brake lines / slotted rotors
      [X] Elevate ECM AWD tune
      [X] Elevate 3” performance exhaust
      [X] Elevate TCV
      [X] Heico suspension – coil overs, springs, struts (lowered 1.5”)
      [X] Window tint – 20% rear, 35% front
      [X] H11 SilverStar headlamps / H11 yellow fog lamps
      [X] Volvo square crossbars
      [ ] BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S - 205/55R16
      [ ] Nordic Oak trim panels
      [ ] iPD aluminum skid plate
      [ ] Rally Armor flaps
      [ ] Class I hitch / wiring
      [ ] Speaker replacement / head unit upgrade
      [ ] Volvo alloy pedals
      [ ] Rear spoiler / black mesh grille
      [ ] Volvo rubber floor mats / cargo mat

Last edited by Jack Stilts; 03-10-2017 at 07:46 AM.
      - Brian
      Michigander, aspiring lumberjack, Subaru Ambassador

2005 V50 AWD - "V."

Elevate tune, Heico suspension, & 196K miles

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Oh nice you got a Heico kit too
      2007 S40 T5 AWD

nice car! there are a ton of Volvo guys up here in Michigan who have regular meets. Mod list on the car looks awesome.
      Black 2000 V70R - Hilton Stage 1, CJ Yother Downpipe, IPD HD CBV, SNABB Intake elbow, IPD short ram intake, IPD poly subframe inserts, SNABB RIP Kit, IPD HD Ignition coils, IPD Strut brace, IPD HD End links, IPD Sway bars, Polyurethane transmission torque mount

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Just curious, any engine (lifter/tappet) noise?
      2005 V50 T5 AWD M66

Quote Originally Posted by T5CO View Post
      Oh nice you got a Heico kit too
      Got lucky with that one. Rides great.

Quote Originally Posted by conorv70r View Post
      nice car! there are a ton of Volvo guys up here in Michigan who have regular meets. Mod list on the car looks awesome.
      I'd definitely be interested in that!

Quote Originally Posted by mercdude View Post
      Just curious, any engine (lifter/tappet) noise?
      No engine noise. I did a bit of reading about the high-pitched turbo noise. I want to research more - I have a noise similar, but removing the oil cap does not change the pitch or noise at all. So maybe it's nothing.

Got a few little things done - sunroof leak fixed (tubing replaced), SilverStar headlamps installed, amber LED parking lights, amber LED inner lights (city lights?), yellow fog lamps installed, Bosch winter wipers installed, and window tint is done - 20% on the rear and 35% on the front. I have to say - the convenience of having the entire headlight assembly come out for bulb replacement is so nice. Instead of working in the cold, cold garage, I was able to do them at my kitchen table.

Last edited by Jack Stilts; 01-28-2017 at 05:21 PM.
      - Brian

2005 V50 AWD - "V."

Which strut bar is that?

Quote Originally Posted by V50toS40 View Post
      Which strut bar is that?
      That's the EuroSport Tuning bar.
      Garage Queen - 2010 C30 R-Design Vrooooooom
      Daily - 2016 V60 T5 Drive-E Vrooooooom
      Zichrona Livracha - 2004.5 S40 T5

Quote Originally Posted by GRat9717 View Post
      I wouldn't have been able to answer that. I appreciate it!

I was able to get a great feel for the car today and really test it out. Put over 300 miles on it in rainy, snowy, and dry road conditions. With 195K miles, there is nothing rattling, nothing squeaking, and this car is just a champ. I'm very happy with my new project. Seats are comfortable and I averaged 25MPG. Few goodies coming in with our tax refund, looking forward to it.

Some observations:

• Alignment needed - pulls to the left and my DS rear wheel is cambered, somehow (seen in first picture).
      • New speakers are needed - sound quality is lacking and a few speakers are buzzing and / or blown.
      • New tires needed - current ones only have about 30% tread left. Made for some squirrelly behavior.
      • Exhaust leak somewhere - bit smelly in the cabin at idle.
      • More LEDs needed - did a few on the exterior, want to complete the car and have 100% exterior LED lighting.

- Brian

2005 V50 AWD - "V."

Quote Originally Posted by GRat9717 View Post

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Stilts View Post

Exhaust leak somewhere - bit smelly in the cabin at idle.
      Careful, that might be an expensive fix as I'm going going be finding out soon

I wouldn't have been able to answer that. I appreciate it!

I was able to get a great feel for the car today and really test it out. Put over 300 miles on it in rainy, snowy, and dry road conditions. With 195K miles, there is nothing rattling, nothing squeaking, and this car is just a champ. I'm very happy with my new project. Seats are comfortable and I averaged 25MPG. Few goodies coming in with our tax refund, looking forward to it.
      No problem. I have an unused one sitting in my garage!

Also, it's amazing how well built these cars are. I heard very minor rattles and noises at times up to 210k before trading her in, but only on bumpy/city roads; never on the highway. I can say the same for my other two Vos, but minus the bumpy/city noises

So looking at your pics - you're in desperate need of a rear camber adjustment. I'd highly recommend you install either an adjustable rear camber bolt or adjustable rear camber arms to get your rear back into a reasonable spec. If that's already been done, it just needs some more positive camber. Don't worry, it's not just you - these cars came with really bad negative camber (with no adjustment) in the rear.
      2005 V50 T5 AWD M66

So looking at your pics - you're in desperate need of a rear camber adjustment. I'd highly recommend you install either an adjustable rear camber bolt or adjustable rear camber arms to get your rear back into a reasonable spec. If that's already been done, it just needs some more positive camber. Don't worry, it's not just you - these cars came with really bad negative camber (with no adjustment) in the rear.
      I sure am. I haven't looked under there to see what it's got - not sure what comes with the Heico suspension yet. Got any recommendations for adjustable camber bolts / arms? I'm hoping the shop can fix some, if not all, of that camber.
      - Brian

2005 V50 AWD - "V."

Woohoo Welcome!

Look up on FB. Volvo Enthusiasts of Michigan, I will add you.

We need to get together for some photoshoot with the V50s ASAP!
      2006 V50 T5 AWD AW55, 320mm FR Brake upgrade, Elevate Intake, OBX Exhaust.
      2010 XC90 V8 Executive Latest Addition.
      2008 XC90 V8 Executive Edition, w/Muffler Delete.
      2005 XC90 V8 Black, VB replaced, S60R Brake Swaped
      2013 Jetta Sportwagen TDI 6spd. Malone S2 tuned 200hp/350tq.

I sure am. I haven't looked under there to see what it's got - not sure what comes with the Heico suspension yet. Got any recommendations for adjustable camber bolts / arms? I'm hoping the shop can fix some, if not all, of that camber.
      https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/vol...mber-arm-67420
      2005 Volvo S40 T5 AWD M66 || 1987 Toyota MR2 || 2002 Lexus IS300 [hers] || 2008 Volvo V50 T5 [Sold 2016] || 2001 Acura Integra GSR [Stolen 2010 lol]

Thank you! Any reason this one on clearance shouldn't work?

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/vol...-arm-31201356l

I appreciate all the information that's been shared so far. Learning a ton about this car and all the insight is great.
      - Brian

2005 V50 AWD - "V."

Man I remember when I was able to get a pair of those for that price!

Thank you! Any reason this one on clearance shouldn't work?

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/vol...-arm-31201356l

I appreciate all the information that's been shared so far. Learning a ton about this car and all the insight is great.
      This one is non-adjustable.

The Heico kit includes 30mm lower springs (mfr by Eibach I believe) and Bilstein B8 struts and shocks. The kit has been discontinued for a while now. I was lucky enough to get the 2nd-to-last one left in stock.
      2007 S40 T5 AWD

Holy hell that's beautiful. That's what's under my car?! Sheesh.

Looking at that, I see adjustable control arms. I'll lift the car up and take a peek under it to see if that's what I've got. I'm hoping I can get them adjusted with an alignment.
      - Brian

2005 V50 AWD - "V."

Ok just to clarify: the Heico kit only includes the springs and struts/shocks in the picture above.

The rest was bought either through FCP or Tasca. The other parts still constitute an upgrade though: SPC adjustable camber arms, C30 Sport control arms, and Meyle HD endlinks. Note, I have a bumpstop in the pic but that wasn't installed (I bought that before realizing Bilsteins have internal bump stops.
      2007 S40 T5 AWD

Holy hell that's beautiful. That's what's under my car?! Sheesh.

Looking at that, I see adjustable control arms. I'll lift the car up and take a peek under it to see if that's what I've got. I'm hoping I can get them adjusted with an alignment.
      Let me stop you right there - the rear camber is not adjustable. That's why you have such extreme negative camber in the first place (at least on the LR). You can order adjustable upper control arms or an adjustable rear camber bolt through rockauto, or FCP, or a host of other places. It's probably the biggest reason why tires prematurely die on these cars.
      2005 V50 T5 AWD M66

Let me stop you right there - the rear camber is not adjustable. That's why you have such extreme negative camber in the first place (at least on the LR). You can order adjustable upper control arms or an adjustable rear camber bolt through rockauto, or FCP, or a host of other places. It's probably the biggest reason why tires prematurely die on these cars.
      Copy that, thank you for clarifying. The good news is that I don't care about the current tires too much - they're pretty worn anyway. And I'm still trying to decide on tires at the moment. We haven't had much of a winter here, and I almost want to skip winters and just get some all-seasons. Until then, negative camber! Gives me time to order the adjustable arms, too.
      - Brian

2005 V50 AWD - "V."

Who's Build is this ?

Quote Originally Posted by T5CO View Post
      Ok just to clarify: the Heico kit only includes the springs and struts/shocks in the picture above.

The rest was bought either through FCP or Tasca. The other parts still constitute an upgrade though: SPC adjustable camber arms, C30 Sport control arms, and Meyle HD endlinks. Note, I have a bumpstop in the pic but that wasn't installed (I bought that before realizing Bilsteins have internal bump stops.

A Note about the SPC Camber Arms - the Little Locking Screw is a Badger to move at Your next Alignment . I'd replace that
      Cap Screw - Allen Head with a - SS Torque -It Type Bolt - Mine even thou Greased etc. welded themselves in .. They also need a Custom
      Wrench to Turn when on Car - Really Short Wrench - Proper size just doesn't come Short . . most likely end up Cut Good Wrench .

Also it would be Advised - If Your going for all this Handling - that the Big End Bushing be Changed - Viva has some good ones ..
      Or You'll end up doing it Later - and Later will Cost a Lot More ..
      ** V50 AWD - Handling & Performance Tweaks = New Stance / VW CC - Handling Tweaks - Testing & Porting - Intake Mods
      A Garden Gate will Last You a Life Time . http://s261.photobucket.com/user/Eng...0Trim%20%20etc

Got in my decals from Dave! Driver side is Swedish prancing moose for the Volvo's Swedish heritage (duh), and the passenger side is the German prancing moose for my German heritage.

Doing spark plugs this weekend, and who knows what else. I am loving this car.

- Brian

2005 V50 AWD - "V."

They're good, solid, well-performing cars. Albeit a bit finicky in a few spots. Enjoy!
      2005 V50 T5 AWD M66

Had a successful day with the newly dubbed "V." wagon. Replaced spark plugs and she's purring like a kitten. That strut bar made for some interesting angles with the sockets.

I have the following ready to purchase, pending tax return refund deposit:

• Adjustable rear control arms (2)
      • Engine mount (passenger side rattling)
      • New shoes - BFG G-Force Comp 2 High-Performance All-Season
      • Curt Class I trailer, wiring, and Euro-style 2" ball mount

Anything else I should be adding? Wondering if there's anything else that's been missed or overlooked at 195K miles. Going to be fun to dig into the car a bit more and get these things done.

I'm considering doing something with the badges. Don't want to de-badge, maybe a gray plasti-dip? Maybe mess with the lettering a bit? Not sure I want to go that route.
      Last edited by Jack Stilts; 02-04-2017 at 07:45 PM.
      - Brian

2005 V50 AWD - "V."

Haven't Read everything , hows the Coils ?
      Were any ever changed , as those usually getting weak 90,000 - 125,000 - have to
      Tighten Spark Gap .004 - so No Fussing with Plugs 18,000 later Re-gaping Down or Replacing .

Anyone - is that Coolant Hose Design in the Front - same - as one Poor one on T5 Engine .
      ** V50 AWD - Handling & Performance Tweaks = New Stance / VW CC - Handling Tweaks - Testing & Porting - Intake Mods
      A Garden Gate will Last You a Life Time . http://s261.photobucket.com/user/Eng...0Trim%20%20etc

Hey did you use OEM spark plugs? I hear people have issues with non oem units for some reason.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      2006 V50 T5 AWD AW55, 320mm FR Brake upgrade, Elevate Intake, OBX Exhaust.
      2010 XC90 V8 Executive Latest Addition.
      2008 XC90 V8 Executive Edition, w/Muffler Delete.
      2005 XC90 V8 Black, VB replaced, S60R Brake Swaped
      2013 Jetta Sportwagen TDI 6spd. Malone S2 tuned 200hp/350tq.

Quote Originally Posted by EngTech View Post
      Haven't Read everything , hows the Coils ?
      Were any ever changed , as those usually getting weak 90,000 - 125,000 - have to
      Tighten Spark Gap .004 - so No Fussing with Plugs 18,000 later Re-gaping Down or Replacing .

Anyone - is that Coolant Hose Design in the Front - same - as one Poor one on T5 Engine .
      Coil packs looked almost brand new, so I didn't mess with those.

Quote Originally Posted by V50R View Post
      Hey did you use OEM spark plugs? I hear people have issues with non oem units for some reason.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Interesting that you brought this up - it had IKH22 Denso Iridium plugs in it when I bought it, which were recently done. The owner said "he got codes and it was firing too hot." Didn't want to delve into that too deeply, so I took a chance with the NGK Iridium IX plugs. I gapped them correctly at .028, and the car purrs like a kitten with no CELs or lights.
      - Brian

2005 V50 AWD - "V."

Nice to see another Heico suspension owner! Interesting that the back strut has one plastic sleeve while the other doesn't. Mine came to me without one on one side and the other side falling apart. I just grabbed it and got rid of it. Not sure if it really makes a difference to have it on there or not. I did briefly look for a replacement but gave up finding one.
      Here's my S40 with that same suspension (btw, I don't have the adjustable rear cam arms either but live with a slight bit of positive cam...may get the FCP ones next time I get an alignment after buying new tires which will be before summer):
      '98 S70 T5 Emerald Green IPD and other Upgrades/ '07 S40 T5 M-66 MT Mystic Silver Metallic, Heico Sports Suspension & Cone Air Filter, OZ 18" Wheels, Elevate Dual Exhaust Intake Manifold BOV & Stage 1 Tune, 27mm Racing Beat Rear Sway, Proforged Rear End Links, Ultra Racing Strut Tower brace & E-Focus Mount/ '04 V70 2.5T Ruby Red - IPD Upgrades (wife's car)/ '07 S60 2.5T Barrent Blue (son's car) All: Mobil-1 synthetic @ 5K miles.

That S40 is beautiful! I really wanted a full-sized wagon (XC70 or 70R), but I drove a few S40s with the M66 trans and I loved them.
      - Brian

2005 V50 AWD - "V."

Thanks!! I did have a mishap last weekend...was parked between 2 trucks in a parking lot right where a speed bump was and backed out slowly...especially concerned with the over-sized speed bump that I could easily scrape on...there was very little visibility...the parking lot was on a hill with a curb and I backed into a car that was speeding through the parking lot, a little paint scrape on his car- not bad. No cops were called...just insurance and I have yet to hear from anyone so I'm pretty sure it's not going anywhere... hard to say whose fault it would be...so from that, I have a little divot out of my back bumper cover (silver is black there about an inch) and the paint on the top portion of that bumper cover has cracks in it. Made me sick! I will wait until it's warmer to deal with it. I could just get it repainted or I could replace the bumper cover for a perfect solution. Still looks good though and it's hard to see unless you're right on the car. I love this little car with the M66 trans. It's really a joy to drive and I appreciate the previous owner doing all the Heico and Elevate upgrades in Germany when he bought the car under a military deal. Anyway, it's the best car I've ever owned and so far (knock on wood) besides my little mishap, I haven't had any issue with her at all!
      '98 S70 T5 Emerald Green IPD and other Upgrades/ '07 S40 T5 M-66 MT Mystic Silver Metallic, Heico Sports Suspension & Cone Air Filter, OZ 18" Wheels, Elevate Dual Exhaust Intake Manifold BOV & Stage 1 Tune, 27mm Racing Beat Rear Sway, Proforged Rear End Links, Ultra Racing Strut Tower brace & E-Focus Mount/ '04 V70 2.5T Ruby Red - IPD Upgrades (wife's car)/ '07 S60 2.5T Barrent Blue (son's car) All: Mobil-1 synthetic @ 5K miles.

Quote Originally Posted by MadeInJapan View Post
      Nice to see another Heico suspension owner! Interesting that the back strut has one plastic sleeve while the other doesn't. Mine came to me without one on one side and the other side falling apart. I just grabbed it and got rid of it. Not sure if it really makes a difference to have it on there or not. I did briefly look for a replacement but gave up finding one.
      Here's my S40 with that same suspension (btw, I don't have the adjustable rear cam arms either but live with a slight bit of positive cam...may get the FCP ones next time I get an alignment after buying new tires which will be before summer):
      When I ordered the kit from Viva it arrived in torn-up boxes so I think the shock fell out at one point. I didn't even realize the dust cover was missing until I installed it several months later. Couldn't exactly order a Bilstein cover on short notice and the stock ones didn't fit, so I just left it off.
      2007 S40 T5 AWD

Coil packs looked almost brand new, so I didn't mess with those.

Interesting that you brought this up - it had IKH22 Denso Iridium plugs in it when I bought it, which were recently done. The owner said "he got codes and it was firing too hot." Didn't want to delve into that too deeply, so I took a chance with the NGK Iridium IX plugs. I gapped them correctly at .028, and the car purrs like a kitten with no CELs or lights.
      Okay, if you start to get issues with overheating or excessively lean condition on your plugs, you may want to consider going with one step cooler plug. Denso IKH24's work great.
      2005 V50 T5 AWD M66

Okay, if you start to get issues with overheating or excessively lean condition on your plugs, you may want to consider going with one step cooler plug. Denso IKH24's work great.
      I have the IKH22's the Heat Range is Wider on these then OE's by Far - plus - Tuned . .
      60,000 miles never had to Touch again .. Pipes - get a Nice Gray and Plugs Light Coco Brown to Light Gray on long Runs ..

I Believe NGK - Finally - so the Light and stopped selling 3/4 inch Plugs for Volvo's with 1 inch Thick Heads and Spark Plug Threads : LOL
      I Wonder Why . .
      Last edited by EngTech; 02-06-2017 at 09:50 PM.

So you're saying the denso iridium plugs have a wider heat range - do you know why that is?
      2005 V50 T5 AWD M66

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast