Ongoing build - 2005 V50T with Elevate tune and 200K - Page 2
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
      Room in the garage for both now! Never thought a weekend in February would hit 65+ degrees in Michigan. Thanks, global warming!

- Brian
      Michigander, aspiring lumberjack, Subaru Ambassador

2005 V50 AWD - "V."

Elevate tune, Heico suspension, & 199K miles

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Stilts View Post
      Coil packs looked almost brand new, so I didn't mess with those.

Interesting that you brought this up - it had IKH22 Denso Iridium plugs in it when I bought it, which were recently done. The owner said "he got codes and it was firing too hot." Didn't want to delve into that too deeply, so I took a chance with the NGK Iridium IX plugs. I gapped them correctly at .028, and the car purrs like a kitten with no CELs or lights.

That's Good - I Installed High Out Put Coils from IPD , but had the IKH22's in for 25K-29K No Issues , before
      I installed Coils - Denso's just have a Wider Heat Range by Design - If U look at Insulator and look up Heat Range Designs

I Busted - NGK for selling 3/4 inch Plugs to Volvo Owners with 1 Inch think Heads - Period - It took them 2 Yrs. to Change
      They would Not admit that They were Dead Wrong .. I Confirmed 1" Thick Head like the R's at Least they are on My 2007 ..
      I did Hear early Models some had 3/4 Thick Head - so maybe _ Y _ Old Owner got Codes !

Just to Clarify :
      ** V50 AWD - Handling & Performance Tweaks = New Stance / VW CC - Handling Tweaks - Testing & Porting - Intake Mods
      A Garden Gate will Last You a Life Time . http://s261.photobucket.com/user/Eng...0Trim%20%20etc

Finally got some progress on the rear camber issue. We started to get a shimmy in the front end on the highway, and the car pulls a bit to the left, so I planned to get an alignment to get it corrected. Before that, I knew I had to get the adjustable control arms to fix the rear camber. I ordered these beauties from RockAuto:

Got started last night only to find....

She's already got adjustables! I probably should have gotten under the car to confirm before I ordered the new ones, but no biggie.

Now I can do everything at the alignment shop - rear camber adjustment, front shimmy correction, wander / pull issue. She sits and waits.

Only other update is waiting for the new shoes to arrive - BFG G-Force Comp 2 (high-performance all-season) in 205/55ZR16.
      - Brian

2005 V50 AWD - "V."

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

That was a great buy SIR! The last owner sure did spend pretty penny on a lot of parts and of high quality. Bilstein shocks some of the best, lowering springs Elevate, even stainless lines. Thats a gold mine right there.
      2006 V50 T5 AWD AW55, 320mm FR Brake upgrade, Elevate Intake, OBX Exhaust.
      2010 XC90 V8 Executive Latest Addition.
      2008 XC90 V8 Executive Edition, w/Muffler Delete.
      2005 XC90 V8 Black, VB replaced, S60R Brake Swaped
      2013 Jetta Sportwagen TDI 6spd. Malone S2 tuned 200hp/350tq.

Quote Originally Posted by V50R View Post
      That was a great buy SIR! The last owner sure did spend pretty penny on a lot of parts and of high quality. Bilstein shocks some of the best, lowering springs Elevate, even stainless lines. Thats a gold mine right there.
      I know it
      - Brian

2005 V50 AWD - "V."

Interesting. Bilsteins won't fit on the rear of an awd. A4 will physically fit but it preloads the shock a lot. You have nothing to compare it to but how does it ride in the rear?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      2005 V50 T5 AWD M66

Quote Originally Posted by mercdude View Post
      Interesting. Bilsteins won't fit on the rear of an awd. A4 will physically fit but it preloads the shock a lot. You have nothing to compare it to but how does it ride in the rear?

Rides great, no issues that I can tell. Ride is stiff but it's to be expected from the new(er) springs.

What are your thoughts?
      - Brian

2005 V50 AWD - "V."

When I installed B4 bilsteins (fwd) on the rear of my awd, the ride in the rear felt loaded/stiff. Almost no give. Compare that to the oem shocks, which have give/good travel and are softer. The body of the b4 is about 1.5" longer than the OEM shock, so you loose about that much in travel. Otherwise, I don't see an issue with using the shock. Unfortunately, bilsteins are superior to the OEM (Sachs, I believe). If you're okay with your ride, then don't change it. Just so you know, though, it's not the right shock for the car and I doubt bilstein would stand behind their lifetime warranty if it blows out (due to improper fitment).
      2005 V50 T5 AWD M66

btw, what model of cargo carrier is that?
      2005 V50 T5 AWD M66

When I installed B4 bilsteins (fwd) on the rear of my awd, the ride in the rear felt loaded/stiff. Almost no give. Compare that to the oem shocks, which have give/good travel and are softer. The body of the b4 is about 1.5" longer than the OEM shock, so you loose about that much in travel. Otherwise, I don't see an issue with using the shock. Unfortunately, bilsteins are superior to the OEM (Sachs, I believe). If you're okay with your ride, then don't change it. Just so you know, though, it's not the right shock for the car and I doubt bilstein would stand behind their lifetime warranty if it blows out (due to improper fitment).
      He has the Heico kit (Bilstein B8s) which is meant specifically for AWD.
      2007 S40 T5 AWD

Oh, that's right... sorry. I'm not super familiar with the Heico kit. mea culpa
      2005 V50 T5 AWD M66

Quote Originally Posted by T5CO View Post
      He has the Heico kit (Bilstein B8s) which is meant specifically for AWD.
      Oh, that's right... sorry. I'm not super familiar with the Heico kit. mea culpa

Phew, thanks for the clarification. Had me worried there for a second.

That roof box is the Thule Pulse Alpine; I had a Thule Force L for a while but traded it in favor of a longer box (this new one is 7.5 feet long) to house my new tent and camp gear. The new one is great for longer stuff like that, and very low profile. No worries when driving into the garage anymore!
      - Brian

2005 V50 AWD - "V."

Update on the alignment: Disappointed to hear that the shop couldn't (wouldn't?) adjust the rear control arms, due to a "special tool" needed. Sigh. They also said the tie rods need to be replaced, so I'll take a look at them and decide whether or not they're just trying to make a buck off of me with a "recommendation" for them. We'll see. In the meantime, I'll take the wheel off again and adjust the control arm myself to at least moderately straighten it out.
      - Brian

2005 V50 AWD - "V."

You only need a couple of wrenches to adjust those arms... I've always checked and tweaked my rear camber using nothing more than a straight edge against the tire and the level app on my phone. It's usually off by about .1°, but that's close enough for me.

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIdeasWereTaken View Post
      You only need a couple of wrenches to adjust those arms... I've always checked and tweaked my rear camber using nothing more than a straight edge against the tire and the level app on my phone. It's usually off by about .1°, but that's close enough for me.
      I know, that's why I was kinda peeved at the alignment shop. I actually just fixed it myself, in my garage, with hand tools. In less than an hour. Used wrenches and a level to eyeball it. It's better than it was. I took the other side off to have something to compare it to, seeing how many threads were visible. Worked out pretty well! I'm considering some small wheel spacers to fill out the wheel wells, too. I'd like them to be even.

- Brian

2005 V50 AWD - "V."

BFG G-Force Comp 2 (high-performance all-season) in 205/55ZR16.
      I passed a set of those tires along when I traded in the S40. I did not like those tires. Hopefully you have better luck.
      Garage Queen - 2010 C30 R-Design Vrooooooom
      Daily - 2016 V60 T5 Drive-E Vrooooooom
      Zichrona Livracha - 2004.5 S40 T5

Update on the alignment: Disappointed to hear that the shop couldn't (wouldn't?) adjust the rear control arms, due to a "special tool" needed. Sigh. They also said the tie rods need to be replaced, so I'll take a look at them and decide whether or not they're just trying to make a buck off of me with a "recommendation" for them. We'll see. In the meantime, I'll take the wheel off again and adjust the control arm myself to at least moderately straighten it out.
      So FYI, I just finished this job. You might as well do it yourself, it's an easy job and makes your front end nice and tight. BUT, just know that the OEM inner tie rods are smooth shank. Cheap Ford crap. Which means, you will need a special (non-rentable) tool to get them off. It looks like an exhaust hanger, but with teeth. Newer/replacement inner tie rods have tooled spots for the standard (rentable) inner tie rod wrench which makes the job a breeze. ANother thing to note is that the tie rod boots have large/industrial zipties to hold them on. I couldn't source a direct comparable, so I just used two large zipties sidebyside. Worked great.
      2005 V50 T5 AWD M66

Quote Originally Posted by GRat9717 View Post
      I passed a set of those tires along when I traded in the S40. I did not like those tires. Hopefully you have better luck.
      Can I ask what you didn't like about them? They've got pretty good ratings and I've had good experience with BFG tires.

So FYI, I just finished this job. You might as well do it yourself, it's an easy job and makes your front end nice and tight. BUT, just know that the OEM inner tie rods are smooth shank. Cheap Ford crap. Which means, you will need a special (non-rentable) tool to get them off. It looks like an exhaust hanger, but with teeth. Newer/replacement inner tie rods have tooled spots for the standard (rentable) inner tie rod wrench which makes the job a breeze. ANother thing to note is that the tie rod boots have large/industrial zipties to hold them on. I couldn't source a direct comparable, so I just used two large zipties sidebyside. Worked great.
      That's great information, I appreciate it! Now that the back end is done, the front end is going to be my next project.
      - Brian

2005 V50 AWD - "V."

Can I ask what you didn't like about them? They've got pretty good ratings and I've had good experience with BFG tires.
      I found them to be very loud and not nearly as grippy as similar category tires. This even with less than 20k miles - normal driving.

MAY I suggest these.... I have them and they are amazing. Wet grip is unreal. Mind you my other tires are Bridgestone Potenza RE, Hankook RS-3, and these...

Firestone Firehawk Indy 500

They re sold in europe as Potenza RE003

MAY I suggest these.... I have them and they are amazing. Wet grip is unreal. Mind you my other tires are Bridgestone Potenza RE, Hankook RS-3, and these...

Firestone Firehawk Indy 500

They re sold in europe as Potenza RE003
      I just ordered a set of these with new wheels. Have to wait 5-8 weeks since the order date for the wheels though ;o

I've had G Force Comp-2 A/Ss for about a year now. I like them a lot. Good wet and dry grip, passable in snow. Now I haven't ran a competing tire (performance A/S) before, but I didn't notice an appreciable noise increase over the outgoing Cooper CS3. I have 205/50/17 and the grip limit is high enough that it's extremely rare I'm wanting for more tire.

My one complaint is that treadwear is not particularly great. Looking back at my Tirerack invoice, I've had them for almost exactly a yr (purchased 3/6/16). Granted, I drive them hard whenever I'm on empty, twisty rds, but from the treadwear so far, they're on track to be replaced after only ~15k miles. Hopefully I'll be able to warranty them...
      2007 S40 T5 AWD

Quote Originally Posted by T5CO View Post
      I've had G Force Comp-2 A/Ss for about a year now. I like them a lot. Good wet and dry grip, passable in snow. Now I haven't ran a competing tire (performance A/S) before, but I didn't notice an appreciable noise increase over the outgoing Cooper CS3. I have 205/50/17 and the grip limit is high enough that it's extremely rare I'm wanting for more tire.

My one complaint is that treadwear is not particularly great. Looking back at my Tirerack invoice, I've had them for almost exactly a yr (purchased 3/6/16). Granted, I drive them hard whenever I'm on empty, twisty rds, but from the treadwear so far, they're on track to be replaced after only ~15k miles. Hopefully I'll be able to warranty them...
      That's actually the only negative thing I've heard about them - poor tread wear. This car won't be driven much, maybe 500-1,000 miles in a month. We'll see. I appreciate all the feedback!
      - Brian

2005 V50 AWD - "V."

That's actually the only negative thing I've heard about them - poor tread wear. This car won't be driven much, maybe 500-1,000 miles in a month. We'll see. I appreciate all the feedback!
      Lmao I checked them out to see how they read, and one of the lines is they're not meant to be driven in ice or snow ha...however that 340 treadwear rating...that's quite soft explains the low mileage you get out of them. I always go 600+ unless they have a sale on some 500+'s then I'll drop my standards a little bit. But I admit, I have never gotten an AA rated tire. Only AB or BB, so I don't know what they feel like.
      2006 Volvo S40 AWD T5 M66 - Dusty Rusty
      2012 Subaru Outback 2.5i CVT - Slowmobile - CAI only, Powerstop Rotors+Pads.
      1996 HD Electra Glide - Big Bertha 10:1 Pistons; EV13 Cam: Ultima Digital Ignition; Buell Head Conversion; E85 Carb Tuned;

My tread wear rating is 140...

If you want grippy tire go with low tread wear rating. If you want better MPGs and dont care about grip then you go 600.

I have run anything from one end to the other and I find it tires in the middle around 300 rating seem to be the sweet spot. But deff buy dedicated summer and dedicated winter tires... the so called all seasons suck at all seasons.

If you want grippy tire go with low tread wear rating. If you want better MPGs and dont care about grip then you go 600.

I have run anything from one end to the other and I find it tires in the middle around 300 rating seem to be the sweet spot. But deff buy dedicated summer and dedicated winter tires... the so called all seasons suck at all seasons.
      I do want to get dedicated summers & winters, but with this past winter it's making me question whether or not winters are really going to be needed. I'd like to find some high-quality all-seasons, a good combination of MPGs and tread wear.
      - Brian

2005 V50 AWD - "V."

Did a bit of digging today - I'm monitoring what seems like a trans slip from 2nd to 1st after my wife mentioned a shudder / vibration when coming to a stop. I have a feeler out there; I'd like to throw in some of that Lucas "stop slip" fluid but I'm not sure what to expect with that since this is the original transmission of 196K miles. Hoping to figure this out before tomorrow - I have a 300 mile drive to complete.

Additionally, I put some Seafoam into the gas tank (about 2/3 of the bottle) and it seems to drive a bit smoother, though I'm sure it's just a placebo. I'd like to put the remaining 1/3 into the oil since I'm due for a synthetic oil change, but like the Lucas fluid - not sure if it's going to be harmless or create issues with the old girl.

I got the box of stuff out from the original owner - bike rack hardware and the Elevate tune box - and remembered that there's an ODBII diagnostic reader in the Elevate box! I loaded up the tuning software onto my old laptop and connected to the car to see if there was anything going on - I have two codes:

--- DTC Info Logged 3/11/2017 5:22:04 PM ---

- VIN: YV1MJ6825XXXXXXXX
      - Make: Volvo
      - Model: V50
      - Year: 2005
      - Engine: T5 Petrol (210 hp)

The following 2 ECM (Engine Control Module) DTCs are set...
      ECM-303C: Front knock sensor (KS). Signal too high.
      ECM-614B: Camshaft control, exhaust. Faulty.

I wish I could read all the codes and not just the ones from the ECM, but this is better than nothing. I'll be looking into these this week as well. Oh, and I finally have a motor mount on the way. Haven't even looked at mine to see if it's squishy, but I'm sure it's original and I'm experiencing a lot of the vibrating / juttering symptoms while driving.
      - Brian

2005 V50 AWD - "V."

Bikes!

We got our second "snow" of the season, and it iced over pretty good. I made the mistake of not scraping my rear window before I used the wiper, and it just...fell off. Fell right onto the ground. Just gave up, died, and broke off. It was the funniest thing I'd seen a car do. I'm glad it's easy to find parts for these; lucikly it's only a $10 part.

http://volvopartswebsite.com/2005-vo...30784289-item/
      - Brian

2005 V50 AWD - "V."

* Like that Photo *
      ** V50 AWD - Handling & Performance Tweaks = New Stance / VW CC - Handling Tweaks - Testing & Porting - Intake Mods
      A Garden Gate will Last You a Life Time . http://s261.photobucket.com/user/Eng...0Trim%20%20etc

Quote Originally Posted by EngTech View Post
      * Like that Photo *

I got VIDA DICe and can help ya scan the car if you decide to go digging deeper just let me know can bring it to work.

I got VIDA DICe and can help ya scan the car if you decide to go digging deeper just let me know can bring it to work.

You the man!! I'll keep ya posted.
      - Brian

2005 V50 AWD - "V."

Picked up a cargo rack from eBay - only $80, and I wanted to give it a try. I knew before purchasing this that it was definitely a light-duty basket / rack. It's made out of aluminum and cheap plastic, and is basically held together with 1/2" screws. However, I won't be using it very frequently, and honestly - I love the look. It's light (only about 20lbs), and very sleek / low profile. Ignore the dirty wagon.

- Brian

2005 V50 AWD - "V."

Did you ever adjust your rear camber?
      2005 V50 T5 AWD M66

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast