Latest Sensus Road Map and Voice Control Update Info
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Latest Sensus Road Map and Voice Control Update Info

Thanks for making this a sticky for convenient notification for Sensus (e.g., MY16+ 90 series). These links also provide installation instructions.

Summary of Latest Roadmap Updates (as of April 21, 2017):
      1182, April 21, 2017: Europe, North America, Pacific, Africa and Middle East
      1180, April 11, 2017: India, Israel, South America, Southeast Asia, Taiwan, Turkey
      OTA Roadmap Updates: Unconfirmed: possible for small regions; not possible for larger regions and bigger files

Map version: version 1182* released April 21, 2017
      US: @ http://volvo.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/9378 US site: officially still 1176
      UK/Global: @ http://support.volvocars.com/uk/down...=map&cscount=8

Warning: As of 4/24/2017, VCNA recommends use of US download site (not U.K.) for US models

Voice control: 31654529AA released January 25, 2017 **
      US: @ http://volvo.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/9765
      UK/Global: @ http://support.volvocars.com/uk/down...&cstype=speech

Navigation Services (explains things like Navigation, Glympse, Local Search, Find Fuel)
      US: @ http://volvo.custhelp.com/app/answer...016/model/XC90
      UK/Global: @ http://support.volvocars.com/uk/Page...a8015123e96919

* Road map versions vary by map region - ranging from 1180 to 1182. Check your specific region if not North America or Europe.
      ** Per TJ 32185.1.1, voice control will be updated semi-annually (e.g., May and November)

Supplemental SwedeSpeedsters' Instructions
      See detailed instructions at Post #36 on top of page 2. Big thanks to SDspeed.

Notes
      1. Road map updates and Voice command updates have slowed to about every calendar quarter.This may be the result of a pending a major Sensus update (announced in conjunction with XC60 redesign).
      2. Road map updates can take up to 2 hours to download and has a progress percent complete. Voice update has an installation in progress but no progress percent complete. Notifications and status can be pulled down from top menu.
      3. OTA road map updates are currently not practical (based on large amounts of data). If you only have a smaller region installed, OTA update is reportedly possible. Use your WiFi connection and save your mobile data if you can.
      4. If you use a Mac, search for the file starting with "Sensus" in the Download folder to launch the App that downloads the Maps to a USB drive (recommended). A Windows PC will prompt you to run the Program which you want to do while the Mac just downloads the App.
      5. An empty 64 GB USB drive is recommended for larger downloads (e.g., full US) formatted as exFAT (or FAT32 w/ third party apps). SDspeed reported that NTSF will also work.
      6. Installation in the car can be done "on the go", at home, et al.
      A. At home, you must babysit the car and occasionally touch the screen or home button so Sensus stays awake.
      B. On the go, leave the USB drive plugged in until the installation is complete even if your trips are shorter than
      the 30 minutes needed. Sensus will resume the install where it left off.
      C. Voice commands must be performed separately.
      D. Once the installation(s) are complete, you must turn off the car and preferably lock it to re-set Sensus.
      7. Per. Volvo, verify that your build (before Nov. 14, 2016) has at least the November 2016 total software update before installing the newer road maps and voice commands. If you do did not and do not experience any issues, you may be fine.
      7. Dealers generally will not update roadmaps and apps unless you specifically request it (from my experience).

P.S.: I will review the posted information monthly and try to keep this current until OTA becomes a reality. Feel free to send me a PM if I am tardy in updating.
      Last edited by Gary-16-Xc90; 04-24-2017 at 07:52 PM. Reason: Added Note #8 and minor edits
      2016 XC90 T8 Inscription | Crystal White | Blonde | Blonde | Air | HUD | et al

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Thanks for doing this.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Would you mind posting instructions on how to install? I'm sure there are other threads with this information, but it would be useful in this thread as well.

Thanks!
      MY2017 XC90 T8 R Design * Bursting Blue * Carbon Fiber * Vision * Convenience * Booster

Excellent. Thank you!

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
      2016 XC90 T6 Momentum
      1997 V70 XC AWD

Thread stickied, thanks for making this up.
      Currently Own:

2016 Volvo XC90 First Edition (Delivered May 2015)

2017 Audi Q7 (Delivered February 2016)

Thanks Gary, I appreciate this!!!
      2016 Crystal White XC90 T6 R-Design Polestar® w/22s, Air Suspension, B&W, Convenience, Climate & Vision w/BLIS; Bumper Cover and Load Carriers

So I took delivery of my MY16 xc90 in July 2016, never had any software updates since, and just last month I've updated the voice and 1173 map update, didn't see any difference or problems. So my question is, according to #7 written above, should I be concerned for future updates? Anybody know what that November update includes?

Sent from my SM-G928T using Tapatalk

If you did not have the November update applied before updating voice commands and roadmaps 1170 or newer, you may want to call Volvo's Customer Care to see what the impact is, if any. You may be fine if navigation and voice commands are working reasonably well.

My note #7 was intended to highlight Volvo's note in the instructions which said:
      Note: If your XC90 was delivered to you prior to November 14, 2016, please be sure your car has received the most recent software update at your local authorized Volvo dealer.
      P.S., I do not know the details of the November update and its dependency. For some reason, I thought the focus and dependency was for improved voice command functionality and future voice command updates.
      Last edited by Gary-16-Xc90; 02-05-2017 at 11:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mmakoto View Post
      So I took delivery of my MY16 xc90 in July 2016, never had any software updates since, and just last month I've updated the voice and 1173 map update, didn't see any difference or problems. So my question is, according to #7 written above, should I be concerned for future updates? Anybody know what that November update includes?

Supposedly the 1170 map update required the November 2016 total software update. In practice, like you, I installed that update without a total software update and didn't have any issues.

That being said, the total software update in November included support for Android Auto, bug fixes and introduced a bug that caused battery drain but for which a workaround has been put in place.

Quote Originally Posted by phillipu View Post
      Supposedly the 1170 map update required the November 2016 total software update. In practice, like you, I installed that update without a total software update and didn't have any issues.

That being said, the total software update in November included support for Android Auto, bug fixes and introduced a bug that caused battery drain but for which a workaround has been put in place.
      Thanks for the feedback. If I never had apple carplay, then I assume I won't have Android auto even after installing the November update? I will hold off on the software update until my first 10k oil change is due.

Quote Originally Posted by mmakoto View Post
      Thanks for the feedback. If I never had apple carplay, then I assume I won't have Android auto even after installing the November update? I will hold off on the software update until my first 10k oil change is due.

Android Auto is currently only available for MY17 vehicles that have two USB ports. Since CarPlay is standard for MY17 (at least here in the US), if you don't have CarPlay, you can't get Android Auto.

EDIT: I take that back. I forgot that Momentum without the Plus package does not have CarPlay. If this is your situation, I do not know what the upgrade path is, if any.
      Last edited by phillipu; 02-05-2017 at 12:04 PM.

I updated my voice control this morning on my drive to work. When I inserted the USB it said do you want to update the voice control and then I clicked yes. After that a banner at the top of the screen said your voice control is updating. After that I did not see a progress wheel or any confirmation it was finished. Has anyone's experience with the voice control update been different or similar to mine?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Firstvolvoxc90 View Post
      I updated my voice control this morning on my drive to work. When I inserted the USB it said do you want to update the voice control and then I clicked yes. After that a banner at the top of the screen said your voice control is updating. After that I did not see a progress wheel or any confirmation it was finished. Has anyone's experience with the voice control update been different or similar to mine?

I recall reading that you won't actually see a progress bar for the voice updates and that you have to check the notification shade to see when it completes.

Sent from my Nexus 7 2013 WiFi using Tapatalk
      2016 XC90 T6 Momentum
      1997 V70 XC AWD

Quote Originally Posted by jonomite View Post
      I recall reading that you won't actually see a progress bar for the voice updates and that you have to check the notification shade to see when it completes.

Sent from my Nexus 7 2013 WiFi using Tapatalk
      Thanks for the reply. I will check that on my way home from work today.

Mine was exactly like that. I had no indication of progress or any notification that it was finished until I got out of the car. Turned it off. Locked it. And then restarted it with the USB key still in the slot.

Then I got a message on sensus at boot up saying something like: "voice control update already installed". That's how I knew it had finished.

Thanks for the reply. I will check that on my way home from work today.

I updated mine this morning and can confirm there is no progress bar. You'll just get a notification staying the update is complete.

2016 XC90 T6 Momentum
      1997 V70 XC AWD

I updated mine this morning and can confirm there is no progress bar. You'll just get a notification staying the update is complete.

Odd -- I never got an update like that on my car. As mentioned above, I only found out it had installed successfully when i restarted the car with the USB stick still in the slot and it gave me a notification then that the voice control update was already installed.

Did the voice update today while I was working outside the car. Leaving the ignition in Mode I was futile since Sensus was staying on only for 10 minutes at a time. How can we use the car to listen to music while outside? i tried with the doors open and no difference.

I got the update done in Ignition Mode II. Obviously I won't try this with the map update. The Sensus screen closed itself but I knew it wasn't off since the light on the USB stick was on. After a short while (20 minutes) I checked the notification shade and it said Voice Control updated. No closing ignition, lock unlock needed.
      Last edited by PhatboyC; 02-07-2017 at 12:52 PM.
      ---------------------------------------------
      2017 XC90 T5 Momentum Plus, Vision, Convenience, Climate, 7 Amber Seats

I wanted to provide an update. My voice control update has been installed successfully. I must have missed the notification that it was installed. When I tried to reinstall this morning I received a notification that it already had been installed. Thanks for everyone's help.

Quote Originally Posted by PhatboyC View Post
      I got the update done in Ignition Mode II. Obviously I won't try this with the map update.
      Changed my mind and decided to try the Map Update in Ignition Mode II. But when I plugged my battery charger I could hear a constant wine under the hood. Not sure if its the fuel pressure pump or something and I don't know if it runs while the engine is running or only for start up...

So I switch to Mode I instead. Went allot faster than expected as I only had to re-open the driver door and close it 4-5 times to get the Sensus to re-start. It detects the usb key and continues without any intervention. Has a nice progress wheel on the screen with a percentage completed in the middle. After it 100% completed it says I have to leave the car to finish the installation. Strange way of putting it. Basically it needs a reboot. So I put the ignition in Mode 0 and back to I and Nav is updated.

Formatting the USB drive, is NTFS ok, as Win10 won't format 64Gb USB drive in FAT32...?

Quote Originally Posted by alexberry View Post
      Formatting the USB drive, is NTFS ok, as Win10 won't format 64Gb USB drive in FAT32...?
      I think that FAT32 and exFAT are your only two options . This is based on an unrelated TJ 32044.4.0 that required a USB drive to be formatted and downloaded via the vehicle's USB port (to address a Sensus update) which had a screen shot of the different file formats. Although both FAT and NTSF were also in the screen shot only FAT32 and exFAT were stated as viable options. Take it for what it is worth.

Correction: PhatboyC indicated that he used NTSF successfully. SDspeed subsequently reported that NTSF also works.
      Last edited by Gary-16-Xc90; 02-11-2017 at 07:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary-16-Xc90 View Post
      I think that FAT32 and exFAT are your only two options . This is based on an unrelated TJ 32044.4.0 that required a USB drive to be formatted and downloaded via the vehicle's USB port (to address a Sensus update) which had a screen shot of the different file formats. Although both FAT and NTSF were also in the screen shot only FAT32 and exFAT were stated as viable options. Take it for what it is worth.
      I don't think FAT32 will work either due to partition and file size limits. ExFAT is the way to go.

I don't think FAT32 will work either due to partition and file size limits. ExFAT is the way to go.
      FAT32 will work.

2016 XC90 T6 Momentum
      1997 V70 XC AWD

FAT32 will work.

In my experience, unless third party utilities are used, windows will not format larger than 32GB using FAT32.

In my experience, unless third party utilities are used, windows will not format larger than 32GB using FAT32.
      Oh, yes, that's right. You need to use a third-party utility. That's what I did.

2016 XC90 T6 Momentum
      1997 V70 XC AWD

Thanks! I updated the notes on the first post.

Hum I could swear my 64gb usb stick I used is NTFS. I'm leaving on a snowmobile trip but will check on my return.

Perhaps in the instructions above you can add These notes: Map update has a progress wheel on the screen with a percentage completed. None for the Voice update. Also the reboot for Sensus is only needed after the map update not the voice update.
      Last edited by PhatboyC; 02-10-2017 at 08:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by PhatboyC View Post
      Hum I could swear my 64gb usb stick I used is NTFS. I am out of town but will check on my return.

Perhaps in the instructions above you can add These notes: Map update has a progress wheel on the screen with a percentage completed. None for the Voice update. Also the reboot for Sensus is only needed after the map update not the voice update.
      I thought the progress status for the voice update showed up in the notifications pane that is visible by pulling down the settings menu, no? Then again, maybe it just reads "installing." I could be getting confused between voice update and app installs.

Makes sense for nav update to show in main screen since it's a tile, but since voice control has no interface, there's nowhere to put it except the notifications pane.

Your right. I should of been more clear. Voice update has Install in progress in settings menu notification then Install completed (or similar). No progress wheel or percentage.

Done. Thanks for the suggestion.

At least in Europe the map 1176 is causing problems in some cars and/or regions. Either traffic sign recognition and/or RTTI do not work (correctly). Volvo insiders announced a bug free version after week 8.

Gesendet von iPad mit Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Daveg74 View Post
      At least in Europe the map 1176 is causing problems in some cars and/or regions. Either traffic sign recognition and/or RTTI do not work (correctly). Volvo insiders announced a bug free version after week 8.

Gesendet von iPad mit Tapatalk
      I see TJ 31543 that came out on Feb. 8 to correct Sensus rebooting. This might relate to the previous Sensus re-booting issue that some have experienced. The TJ references week 8 as being a production fix. Not sure if it is related to Map 1176, the Sensus issue, or a combination. I am not having any issues with sign recognition, RTTI or Sensus. The TJ says in part:

New IHU software, “CMQ IHU FIX,” has been created that will improve the IHU stability. These SPs can be used until this IHU software can be integrated with the Total Upgrade software packages that are planned for week 8, 2017.
      1. Perform Total Upgrade software as per TJ 31543 before download of the CMQ IHU FIX SP.
      2. Download the appropriate CMQ IHU FIX Software Product:
      XC90: SP 31682877
      S90, V90CC: SP 31682451
      Unless you are having issues, I would think twice about running out to have the interim fix installed. Week 8 is what a week away and then the Total Software Upgrade should include the permanent fix. This Important Note is worth reading about the interim fix:
      It will not be possible to download/install any new apps from the in-vehicle Download Center once the fix software is installed. However, apps that are already installed beforehand will work as usual.
      Note: IHU means Infotainment Head Unit (a/k/a Sensus (tm)).

P.S. I don't want to derail the original topic so I will this and more information to the Sensus rebooting thread.
      Last edited by Gary-16-Xc90; 02-11-2017 at 08:40 AM.

I will wait until my dealer definitely can confirm, that he can solve my RTTI issue (which appeared with the 1176 map update).
      But he told me, that he had several cars this week with RTTI issues including the own test drive cars. They informed Volvo and asked for a solution.
      But it's strange to drive without RTTI now, as I really got used to it since June last year.

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast