Latest Sensus Road Map and Voice Control Update Info - Page 2
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
      I just installed the Voice Control update version 31654529AA and entire US Map version 1176 which were both released in January 2017. Following are detailed instructions. The two processes are almost identical. I've had successful and failed updates in the past, so my recommendations are based on those experiences.

For US updates, start by navigating to the following website and either click on the link for the voice control update or the appropriate map update. The voice and map updates must be performed separately - finish installing one in the car before erasing the thumb drive and starting the second. In my description below it may sound like I'm doing them simultaneously, but that's just because I didn't want to list all of the steps a second time. Previously, both updates could be simultaneously loaded on a thumb drive and installed in sequence, but that must have caused problems and now Volvo has broken them up.:
      http://volvo.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/9378

Volvo has also updated their instructions and now makes it clear that FAT32, exFAT or NTFS formatted thumb drives will work. I used a 64GB thumb drive formatted in exFAT and a Windows PC. Volvo now makes only the entire US map available for download whereas previously they offered regional maps. The last time I visited my dealer, they installed a regional map - probably because it was faster.

1. Make sure all files have been deleted from the thumb drive and that it's formatted as FAT32, exFAT or NTFS. If you aren't sure how it's formatted, you can re-format it by right-clicking on the thumb drive icon in Windows Explorer and selecting "Format", which will also erase all of the files on the thumb drive.

2. Although the Voice Control update is only 8GB, you will need a 64GB thumb drive for the entire US map update.

3. Connect the empty thumb drive to your PC and click the appropriate download link from the Volvo web page. Note that the first file that downloads is an installer - not the update files. You need to save the installer program to your desktop - don't save it to the thumb drive.

4. Double-click the Sensus_Update installer icon on your desktop to launch the installer application. Note that different installer applications are required for the map vs. the voice control updates. Once you are finished with one update, you can delete that installer and download the other one to your desktop to start the second update.

5. Choose "New Download", "USB" installation, navigate to the thumb drive and select it. Note that all files should be installed at the thumb drive's root level - do not install them inside of another folder.

6. Wait for all files to download. It took about 20 minutes for the voice control files to download to my thumb drive and two hours for the entire US map data. Click the "Finish" button and close the program.

7. Re-open the installer program and select "Check Download" or "Verify" depending on the program.

8. Navigate to the thumb drive and select it. Wait for the program to verify the files. Note: I'm not sure if verifying the files is really necessary, but it only takes a couple of minutes to verify the voice control files and about 20 minutes to verify the map files.

9. Select "Finish", close the program and eject the thumb drive properly (click on the "Safely Remove Hardware and Eject Media" button in the lower right hand corner of the desktop).

10. The voice control update takes about 10 minutes to install in the car and the entire US map data takes about 30 minutes (at least that's how long my updates took - others have reported longer times). You can install an update while driving or while sitting in your car with the engine off. I installed both updates with the ignition turned off and the driver's door open. If the engine is off, the Sensus screen will dim every three minutes and you have to touch it to keep it awake. At 14 minutes there will be a power conservation message where you need to select "continue" to keep Sensus turned on. Keep in mind that Sensus will turn off and the update will be interrupted if you turn off the ignition and then open the driver's door. If you are installing an update while driving and reach your destination before the update has finished, then open the driver's door before you turn off the ignition to prevent Sensus from going to sleep. Supposedly the updates will resume automatically after Sensus goes to sleep and then wakes up again, but in my experience that's when an error is most likely to occur so now I try to prevent any interruptions during the updating process and keep Sensus awake during the entire update.

11. When you're ready to begin the installation, wait for Sensus to boot up and then insert the thumb drive into the USB port underneath the arm rest. Sensus should recognize the files and begin updating after you confirm your intention to replace the existing data. To check whether or not the voice control update is complete, press the tab icon at the top edge - middle of the screen to get to the Settings screen. If only the voice control updating message is displayed, then the process is ongoing. It will not show a % complete message for the voice control update. When the voice control update is finished, a second message will appear on the same screen stating that it has finished. Only then should you remove the thumb drive from the USB port. IMPORTANT - do not remove the thumb drive until you are certain that the update is complete. Even if the update looks like it has hung up, DO NOT remove the thumb drive until you're sure that it's complete. I removed my thumb drive during a map update that got hung up and it required a visit to my dealer to fix the problem. Meanwhile, maps, CarPlay and speed limit sign recognition were offline. Fortunately, the map update does give you a % complete status on the home screen, so you can verify that progress is being made for the map update. If either update finishes without you noticing, you can check the Settings screen to see a message stating that it's complete. At that point, it's safe to remove the thumb drive.

12. Once the update is complete and you've removed the thumb drive, turn off the car, exit, close the door and lock it. Wait a minute to make sure Sensus goes to sleep. The voice control update should be ready to go immediately after installation, but the map update needs the final Sensus reboot to finish. When the map update is finally complete after the Sensus reboot there will be a message on the Settings screen confirming it.

One final recommendation I would make is to buy a short USB extension cable to help protect the car's USB port which seems to be very fragile. You leave the short extension cable plugged into the car all the time and plug everything into the other end of the extension cable. It's much easier to verify the orientation of the USB connection this way, and if you break the extension cable's port it's cheap and easy to replace it. My car's USB port broke even though we've been very careful with it, and another SwedeSpeed member experienced the same failure. Here is the extension cable I purchased from Amazon:

StarTech.com 6-Inch USB 3.0 Extension Adapter USB 3.0 Port Saver Cable, Black (USB3EXT6INBK)

Last edited by SDspeed; 02-12-2017 at 04:25 PM.
      2016 XC90 T6 Momentum Plus, Vision, Climate, CarPlay, Invisihitch

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

1176 Fixed the problem with address entry in Slovak and Czech Republic

Map verion 1176 has finally removed the special street address numbers in the form of XXXX/YY, and thus fixed the problem which caused that it was not possible to directly enter the house number, forcing the driver to scroll through the typically very long list of numbers. This applies to Slovak and Czech Republic, other countries probably not affected.

Unfortunately, at the same time, it has re-introduced an old problem with RTTI (Real time traffic information) not being displayed correctly. At some streets it only displays traffic in one direction, at some streets where the traffic was displayed correctly with the previous verion (1160 in my case) it does not display any traffic at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Daveg74 View Post
      I will wait until my dealer definitely can confirm, that he can solve my RTTI issue (which appeared with the 1176 map update).
      But he told me, that he had several cars this week with RTTI issues including the own test drive cars. They informed Volvo and asked for a solution.
      But it's strange to drive without RTTI now, as I really got used to it since June last year.
      Hi,

do you have any news regarding the update that fixes RTTI problems ?
      I have just recently upgraded to 1176 and RTTI is missing some streets and some are displayed but in one direction only.

Also, which European country are you in ? I am in Slovak Republic.

No RTTI in Russia too

Quote Originally Posted by mgr View Post

Also, which European country are you in ? I am in Slovak Republic.
      In Russia, we have the same problem with traffic info: no traffic at all after 1176 update. Volvo Cars Russia answered for my query that there is no problem with the update because of it's just new maps for Sensus and they advised to go to Volvo dealer for solving my Sensus bug. My dealer didn't do anything, said that Volvo doesn't know about the bug and so do not have the rule for dealers to fix it. But I'm the fifth for that dealer officially asked about the fix and reported to Volvo Cars.

Roadmap update info is now posted on the UK site. I am updated the original post #1. Versions vary between 1180 and 1182 depending on the market.

Oops, hold the phone: I started downloading, but the download label says 1176 (not 1182) - so not sure if the download itself has been posted yet, It could possibly be in progress.

You may want to wait until tomorrow (which could be Friday or Saturday depending where you are on the globe).

BTW: If you are in NA, you may need to download from U.K. Site at least until US/CA sites are updated. See Post #1. No voice control update yet.
      Last edited by Gary-16-Xc90; 04-20-2017 at 10:26 PM.
      2016 XC90 T8 Inscription | Crystal White | Blonde | Blonde | Air | HUD | et al

It's still 1176

Yes, indeed. The download files that I am seeing are NA_907_1176 and EU_904_1176 even the website indicates 1182 for both. I suppose we just need to wait a bit as the webpage update may have been updated and pushed out ahead of the actual downloads being available. I sent off an email to VolvoCare for those of us sitting at the "edge of our seats."

As of 6:45Am PDT, 1182 is the download which occurs if you do the download. Ran into the same issue many of you had last night with 1178 being the DL even though the link said 1182. Now it is 1182, at least for North America

Can confirm 1182 to be ready for Europe.

I added a Note to the sticky on Post #1 as a reminder that, from my experience, dealers do not update roadmaps as a matter of routine. You need to request it to be checked and updated if a newer version is available. I would guess that most of us on SS perform our own updates.

With more and more owners coming on board, I thought I would share this in case you did not know.

The same may be true for voice control, but no update has been available since January 2017. An update to voice control may come with the "imminent" Sensus update.

Disregard
      Last edited by 8675 309; 04-23-2017 at 06:14 PM.

Not sure how I feel about this Version. I took 5 crash restarts in a row Installing this. It kept restarting from 9%

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Received a phone call today from VCNA. VCNA's official recommendation is that cars manufactured for US market obtain the latest Roadmap Updates from the US website - not the U.K. Website. Reportedly, the US Roadmap update will be out in a ~ couple of weeks.

I updated Post #1 with a warning/notice.

For US owners: If you installed NA roadmaps from the U.K. Website and are having trouble with Sensus Navigation, you might want to revert back to 1176. Otherwise, when the US website is updated, you might want to re-apply the US update. There could be more info forthcoming. Personally, I am having no issues with 1182 NA update in MY2016.

@Yannis, if or when you see this post, could you share your insights?

Latest Sensus Road Map and Voice Control Update Info

Quote Originally Posted by SDspeed View Post
      Supposedly the updates will resume automatically after Sensus goes to sleep and then wakes up again, but in my experience that's when an error is most likely to occur so now I try to prevent any interruptions during the updating process and keep Sensus awake during the entire update.
      +1

I let the car shut down during the map update and I came back to the "Nav Unavailable - Insert USB" message - even though I had not removed the USB drive. Removing and verifying the download with the Sensus update application seemed to solve the problem, but then again it could also be that I had the car shut down for an even longer amount of time.

16. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2