Aftermarket muffler choice
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Aftermarket muffler choice

Hello,

Im looking to change my muffler to get more sound out of the car, its a daily so I dont want to be SUPER loud but I still want

/ The nice tone of the engine when I go to work.
      / Be able to go to the camping ground without triggering others people alarm.
      / Avoid drone inside the cabin.

My final choice ...

1 Borla 40941 XR-1 ( 11 lenght, 2.5 to 2.5 pipping )

This is the only muffler that would fit according to the local exaust shop, the guy said over 11 inch nothing will fit ( s60 2008 AWD ) ... And he wanted to weld in a maganflow 11132 that as a 2 inch connection even if I have a 2.25 line ... so .... I have trust issue ....

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

sounds like a recipe for unwanted back pressure on engine to me.

I put a magnaflow on my 01 non turbo and straight piping from the cat back, the drone was insane. It was fine for several years while my commute was short, but on long drives (3+ hours) it got old.
      I ended up putting a resonator in line, and eventually a second to mellow it out.
      While I don't agree with the exhaust shop downsizing the muffler, there may be no issue if the new muffler is wide open instead of baffled, that reduction of 1/4" would have a minimal influence if the magnaflow is wide open.

Just a thought.

Post up how you like it when the borla is installed

Sent from my SHIELD Tablet using Tapatalk
      I'm a sucker for Ice White S60's
      2001 S60 NA FWD (06/08-07/12)
      2009 S60 2.5T AWD (10/13-present)
      For the most current photos of the day, find me on Instagram

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I'm sure the Borla is much better, but its out of my budget as I have a LOT of changes to make on my V60

So I found a less expensive alternative to the Borla that seems to work just as well (so far from what I can tell) so i figured I'd share...
      AP Exhaust Xlerator Model # XS2265

Keep in mind I only have a E-drive T5 V60 so that's probably going to make a bigger difference if you compared to this muffler being on a T6.
      But so far, for the money I'm extremely happy with the muffler...
      ~ Far less than 1/4 the price of the Borla ~ But it obviously doesn't have that "Euro tuned" sound which is very nice...
      I'm guessing the drone may not appeal to some of you , To me the drone isn't too bad...
      But I'm used to a 351 Windsor in a '82 Mustang (with no Cat / Res and Flowmaster mufflers)... so this drone is nothing LOL

Here are some of the pix of the completed install at my local "Mad Hatter Muffler - in Davie, FL" great guy if you need some work done..

As soon as I can I'll create a crappy video that probably does a poor job of representation, just to say I did it.

I'm just happy to have ANY exhaust that reminds me the car is running, and give me a little more pep.

Quote Originally Posted by B-SIDE View Post
      I'm sure the Borla is much better, but its out of my budget as I have a LOT of changes to make on my V60

So I found a less expensive alternative to the Borla that seems to work just as well (so far from what I can tell) so i figured I'd share...
      AP Exhaust Xlerator Model # XS2265

Keep in mind I only have a E-drive T5 V60 so that's probably going to make a bigger difference if you compared to this muffler being on a T6.
      But so far, for the money I'm extremely happy with the muffler...
      ~ Far less than 1/4 the price of the Borla ~ But it obviously doesn't have that "Euro tuned" sound which is very nice...
      I'm guessing the drone may not appeal to some of you , To me the drone isn't too bad...
      But I'm used to a 351 Windsor in a '82 Mustang (with no Cat / Res and Flowmaster mufflers)... so this drone is nothing LOL

Here are some of the pix of the completed install at my local "Mad Hatter Muffler - in Davie, FL" great guy if you need some work done..

As soon as I can I'll create a crappy video that probably does a poor job of representation, just to say I did it.

I'm just happy to have ANY exhaust that reminds me the car is running, and give me a little more pep.
      Whos the shop? and how much did he charge. Im getting an IPD sometime early next year but I would to install this for the mean time. Also, would you be posting a video soon?
      Thanks a bunch dude
      2013 R-Design CPO Rebel Blue

Sorry for the late reply...

Believe it or not the muffler and install was just under $150 from an old friend "Mad Hatter Muffler" in Davie, FL.
      Guy does great work for a very affordable price...

Now that I'm no longer ashamed of my V60 (I new wheels, LOL) I'll be posting a video very soon

9. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements