Another axle question
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Another axle question

I have been waiting about two months for an OEM axle from Volvo for the left front of my T5, AWD, M66 V50. There seems to be no ETA in sight, and I'm getting antsy. I don't want super cheap Chinese $50 crap off of Amazon, but I'm not seeing much out there for aftermarket other than this one from IPD.

https://www.ipdusa.com/products/1215...0-manual-trans

What do you guys think? Is it likely just as bad as the $50 crap on Amazon?
      '06 T5 AWD V50 6MT - stock

'99 Ford Contour SVT - not stock

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Buy a FWD L M66 axle - they fit AWD just fine.
      2005 V50 T5 AWD M66

Did you try Tascoparts.com? I would stick with OEM. I was having a problem with vibration at highway speeds. My indy troubleshooted the problem as being the axles. He whole heartily suggested to sticking with OEM, He has found that most aftermarket axles are not well balanced, so you may run into vibration issues. Take a little time and call dealers near and far and see if one of them may have it in stock.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Can confirm. Aftermarket axles are crap! Hold out for OEM.
      Garage Queen - 2010 C30 R-Design Vrooooooom
      Daily - 2016 V60 T5 Drive-E Vrooooooom
      Zichrona Livracha - 2004.5 S40 T5

FCPeuro has the oem axels and you get lifetime warranty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
      2010 s40 T5 AWD M66 D/S Rotors, EBC Red Stuff Ceramic Pads-custom Cat-back, muffler delete

Quote Originally Posted by thefisch33 View Post
      FCPeuro has the oem axels and you get lifetime warranty.

Unfortunately they don't have this one. They only have the front right.

Quote Originally Posted by mercdude View Post
      Buy a FWD L M66 axle - they fit AWD just fine.
      Wait, really? There's no difference in the build on them? I'll have to look around for one of those. That's very interesting.

I have literally scoured the interwebz for every online dealership that might carry volvo parts. Nobody, and I mean nobody, has the OEM in stock for this car.

Quote Originally Posted by MurrrC01 View Post
      Wait, really? There's no difference in the build on them? I'll have to look around for one of those. That's very interesting.

I have literally scoured the interwebz for every online dealership that might carry volvo parts. Nobody, and I mean nobody, has the OEM in stock for this car.
      I'm currently driving with a left fwd m66 axle in my awd m66. No issues at this point because it's the same trans and same engine. The right side however is different. It must go through the awd transfer case which the fwd does not have

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      2005 V50 T5 AWD M66

Very interesting. Now to see if it's any easier to find the FWD axle...

I'm seeing the FWD in stock in a couple of places, which is great! So we're 150% sure it works just as well as the AWD part? It makes sense that it would be the same on at least that side, but why would Volvo have different part numbers?

I don't mean to second-guess mercdude, but I'm trying to be cautious. This shop already installed the wrong axle on my car once and it left me stranded on a cold snowy night. Thanks!

Since I've been driving on that L FWD M66 axle for the last 2 months, I'm 1000% sure.
      2005 V50 T5 AWD M66

Ok, well I'm going to take the plunge. Any guesses as to why they wouldn't just use the same part number if that were the case?

No idea, but the part # is only marginally different (if that makes you feel better). Ex: 125 and 126.
      2005 V50 T5 AWD M66

Thanks mercdude, I really appreciate the recommendation.

If you're really concerned about fitment, get a used axle or a aftermarket one to compare to the old LF. Just FYI, I was completely stumped when I tried to get the old axle out. I had to get a shop install it because it was so difficult to get out.
      2005 V50 T5 AWD M66

So I'm going to get mine rebuilt. I was going to buy the OEM ones from FCP euro for ~ $500 each, until I realized they weren't new, they're just re manufactured. So for $1200 thru FCP I'd get remanufactured axels with a lifetime warranty. Or I just remanufacture them myself for $400. CVJ warranties the axels for life as long as they never find out I might occasionally go to open track day.

2010 s40 T5 AWD M66 D/S Rotors, EBC Red Stuff Ceramic Pads-custom Cat-back, muffler delete

Yeah I plan on sending my old axles for rebuild to CVJ as well. Keep us informed on the build quality and cost.
      2005 V50 T5 AWD M66

It's $109 each plus $18 to install the boots and you have to provide new ones.

word of advice

Quote Originally Posted by mercdude View Post
      Yeah I plan on sending my old axles for rebuild to CVJ as well. Keep us informed on the build quality and cost.
      I have been down this road please learn from my experience. I have 07' V50 T5 AWD M66. I was lucky enough to find two salvaged front axles from an identical car so that I have front spare axles on hand if I need them. Regardless I needed to get the axles rebuilt. I tried CVJ and their rebuild lasted less then 6 months and started leaking all over the place because they used inferior under sized clamps. So luckily I found a place actually right here in New Jersey that I could drive over to an drop the axle with them. They did a great job and even upsized the clamps I supplied them in the rebuild so far no problems. http://www.axle-exchange.com/ in Fairfield, NJ. I assume if you are out of state you can ship to them. they are very easy to deal with and they know their stuff since they are in there building custom axles, etc for monster trucks.
      07' V50 T5 AWD M66 Barents Blue - Elevate Torque Mount & rear sway bar, Heico springs and shocks (aka Bilstein Shocks and Eibach Springs) SPC Rear Camber Arms- 225/45-17 Michelin PS2 - Supersports 45MM offset.

How long ago did you use CVJ? I'm here in Denver so it makes sense. Plus I ordered brand new factory boot kits so that shouldn't be a problem.

How long ago did you use CVJ? I'm here in Denver so it makes sense. Plus I ordered brand new factory boot kits so that shouldn't be a problem.

it was about a year ago. Hopefully if you are supplying your own boot kit with proper size straps that should alleviate the leaking issue. Just check the metal strap in your factory boot kit to confirm it is similar width or greater to what is currently on your axle. The axle they rebuilt worked fine otherwise. Good luck understand since they are local you want to go with them.
      07' V50 T5 AWD M66 Barents Blue - Elevate Torque Mount & rear sway bar, Heico springs and shocks (aka Bilstein Shocks and Eibach Springs) SPC Rear Camber Arms- 225/45-17 Michelin PS2 - Supersports 45MM offset.

So it was just the clamp that failed?

Are there any signs that a CV is OEM or aftermarket? I had play in my RF and leaking boot on my LF so i replaced both. I went with new axles (Heri from Amazon). $150 for both. I kept both of the CVs that i took out (no core charges).

Now - while part of while i replaced them was vibration (and not heeding the warnings not to deviate from OEM), these did not change my vibration at all. So i'm wondering if the ones i took out are also aftermarket, and hence no point in having them rebuilt.
      Thoughts everyone?
      2005 v50 T5 AWD M66

Another axle question

You bought aftermarket garbage Chinese axels. Sorry to be blunt. That may be why you still have vibration.
      An oem rebuilt axel is around $500 each.

I have some residual vibration at speed as well and I'm starting to wonder if one of the driveline CV's are starting to go. Anyone have experience with rebuilding the driveline?
      2005 V50 T5 AWD M66

Yeah, i agree (about cheap Chinese crap).

i was also wondering about the driveshaft. I was planning on disconnecting it and going for a drive to see if the vibration is the same. (if possible - i know the rear joint is a bolt on flange, but i have not been under it recently to see if the front is a slip joint or another bolt-on flange)
      2005 v50 T5 AWD M66

Very unlikely that's it's the drive shaft. It's just now the point in time where the P1's are reaching 100k miles and this axel failure is becoming common. My inner cv was so worn it could not be repaired.

Very unlikely that's it's the drive shaft. It's just now the point in time where the P1's are reaching 100k miles

I wish- try 182,000 on mine!
      2005 v50 T5 AWD M66

I'll echo that - I'm at 135k right now. And I already replaced my front cv axles with oem ones because my inner cv joints were shot.

The driveline is bolt on front and rear. There's a lot of places that it could fail - at the bolt on flanges which are annealed rubber joints or at the 2 cv joints (or is it 3?). But It's hard to say. I'm guessing that unless torque is being transferred to the rear wheels you wouldn't get enough strain to cause any issues. And you wouldn't really get that condition unless you're in a limited traction situation. Just seems like a shot in the dark but in my case I'm not sure what else it could be.
      2005 V50 T5 AWD M66

What you said makes sense. Another thing that i used to diagnose is i pulled the fuse #54 to cut power to the Haldex. I found i had vibration with acceleration when i did this (and not nearly as much vibration when the AWD was active). This to leads me to think it is a CV issue, since a common sign is vibration with acceleration, and not a rear driveshaft issue since it is spinning, but not being driven. Still not 100% sure about a diagnosis, hence my hesitancy to drop $1000 on new CVs. If i knew it would solve the vibration guaranteed, i'd do it.

Fisch- did you decided to try CVJ? curious on their product.
      2005 v50 T5 AWD M66

back to my first question, is there any way to determine an OEM vs. aftermarket CV?
      2005 v50 T5 AWD M66

Quote Originally Posted by kegwalker View Post
      back to my first question, is there any way to determine an OEM vs. aftermarket CV?
      I'm not sure if the case for the manual axles, but on OE axles for the automatic there are tells on each of them to know they are legit.

The driver side front axle has a rubber cylindrical piece on the shaft, about 1-2 inches wide, which is not found on an aftermarket axle. Also, the inner housing will not be a complete round circle shape. There is a uniform pattern on the housing and in a way appears to have sides (curved inwards). The passenger side will have this same shaped housing on the outside side of the carrier bearing, but no rubber piece.

I'm not informed about the rear axles.
      Garage Queen - 2010 C30 R-Design Vrooooooom
      Daily - 2016 V60 T5 Drive-E Vrooooooom
      Zichrona Livracha - 2004.5 S40 T5

good info, thanks. I'll ask a guy in denver that buys volvos for parts and dismantles them.
      2005 v50 T5 AWD M66

CVJ was unable to repair it. I guess what they do is just weld a new axel onto an appropriate cv joint.

Quote Originally Posted by kegwalker View Post
      What you said makes sense. Another thing that i used to diagnose is i pulled the fuse #54 to cut power to the Haldex. I found i had vibration with acceleration when i did this (and not nearly as much vibration when the AWD was active). This to leads me to think it is a CV issue, since a common sign is vibration with acceleration, and not a rear driveshaft issue since it is spinning, but not being driven. Still not 100% sure about a diagnosis, hence my hesitancy to drop $1000 on new CVs. If i knew it would solve the vibration guaranteed, i'd do it.

Fisch- did you decided to try CVJ? curious on their product.
      Actually, that makes sense but not for the reason (I think) you are thinking. The driveshaft/propshaft constantly spins, no matter what. The haldex unit engages/disengages the clutch electronically at the rear differential to put power down to the rear wheels. When your AWD is working, it diverts power to the rear wheels to prevent slipping - aka your front cv axles are not getting the full amount of torque. With the AWD disabled, you get full torque through the fronts only (though the driveshaft is still spinning). The AWDcan mask front cv axle issues because of the torque split between front/rear. Easiest way to check the inner cv axles is to get under the car and grab and twist the cv joint. If you have any play or hear a clunk, it's shot. My RF was super sloppy and my LF was just starting to go. If I were in CO, I'd have CVJ do my axles in a heartbeat. That's the only sure-fire way to get new axles that don't cost an arm and leg. Btw, when you buy 'new' OEM axles, they are also remanufactured. So I don't see a downside in going CVJ.

For me, even after replacing the axles with low mileage OEM, I'm getting a mid-chassis vibration. I can kinda feel it through the seat and the propshaft is the only thing that hasn't been evaluated (yet).
      2005 V50 T5 AWD M66

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast