Turbojeppe's 850 T-5R 'Cream Yellow' - Progression thread
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Cool Turbojeppe's 850 T-5R Wagon 'Cream Yellow' - Progression thread

Hello my American friends!

This is my car: 1995 850 T-5R Cream Yellow. It's an italy imported car so it has the 2.0L engine and smaller turbo.

Since there isn't a lot of active Volvo communities in Sweden (pretty ironic huh?), and loving forums and communities as I do, that kinda bums me out.
      So is it okay if I join you guys and sharing my own 850, it's history and progression over the years?

I love posting picture of my car and hearing peoples opinion but since I have already posted a lot of progression on some forums in Sweden, do you want me to begin at the beginning? Post some picture of the car over the last 10 years and read about the history and things this car has been through or do you want me to pick up at where I am today?

This formatting is copied from JaredR that was a pure joy to read.

What's the history of this car?
      • 1995-03-07: Sold in Italy
      • - 2007-05-03: Reserved for more information when I get to my car and see the documentation from Italy
      • 2007-05-04: Importet from Italy to Sweden. I don't know much about the car until my brother got it. But I have all the names of the guys owning it during its time in Sweden so I might hit them up and ask some stuff about the car!
      • - 2010-06-28: My brother buys this dreamcar of his.
      • 2011-05-11: My brother passed away and the car stands still for 2 years.
      • 2013-04-18: I get the keys.

What was done to it before I got it?
        Before my brother got it it had:
      • The usual XC-grill, V70 tail lights, X70 handles and US-indicators mods were made to it. Solid mods.
      • Also these ugly eyelids on the headlights and chromed out side mirrors that got scrapped the day my brother got it.
      • It also came with a 4" exhaust tip.

My brother did the following mods:
      • Bilstein HD's in the rear and Coilovers in the front.
      • Put GAS 12" subwoofers in the trunk.
      • Sold the fugly wheels he got with the car and put it on original 18" R's on 215/35-18.
      • Kept the paintwork up waxing it and polishing it, a little too much I'm afraid. He was obsessed with it being clean.
      • Tinted windows all around and often got stopped for it.. Kinda made friends with the police since we lives in a small local town. (tinted front windows is illegal in Sweden)

What have I done so far?
      • Over the years I have done very many small modifications aswell as changing parts to parts in better condition. I have also put my own touch to it as I want it to kinda stand out from the rest of the Yellows.
      • The first thing I did was buying 19" Dotz Roadsters that I got pretty cheap. After a year I traded them to these white 19" fake R wheels and kept them on for a year. The third year I actually found BBS 18" Nebulas that were OEM to V70 and S60 dirt cheap ($80) with good tires. These have stuck with me and I'll even consider buying a set of new tires to them this year for the first time in my life!
      • Black vinyl on B & C pillars which in my opinion makes the car look even sicker.
      • Wind deflectors is a must with black pillars and makes the car look great. Unfortunately my friend opened rear window and one deflector got sucked out and now lies somewhere in Stockholm..
      • Smoke tinted headlights and indicators that I didn't grew very fond of and removed after a while.
      • Later around at the time where I exchanged my Dotz to 19" R, I also removed the rails and used "long trim".
      • A front lip got mounted! At this time I want the car to get a more aggressive look and the front lip really gets it there.
      • I have changed the entire rear right brake "system" > calipers, brake disc, handbrake and pads.
      • Then I got the BBS wheels. This is the year I make very many changes to the car. (2016)
      • Got a new, bigger air filter cone.
      • Mounted lowering springs in the front (my other brother took the coilovers after our brother passed away), still have the rear ones in a box but since I lived 40 minutes from my parents and where the garage was, I really didn't have the time.
      • I bought new rear spoiler brake light, some LED's to the number plate and new OEM VOLVO, T-5R and TWR flag emblems! The emblems are gonna wait until I get the trunk painted.
        My friends T5 with some mods on it got a cracked block and he decided to strip it and sell the parts. I were the guy that bought almost every nice thing on it..
      • But here is where I start to go crazy with the aggressive look. I drilled 4 HUGE holes on the trim under the right headlight - don't really think it's functional but man it looks mad.
      • I also refurbished the XC grill and painted it black with chrome frame.
      • Changed the dashboard to one in better condition (e.g. the leather around the airbag is fine on this one while my was reeeeaaaally ugly)
      • Changed the gas springs in the trunk to actual working ones.
      • Changed the headlights to better looking ones.
      • Got v70 washer nozzles, that improvement tho..

What does it still need/what am I planning on doing?
      • Wind deflector, I really need to find a rear right one. Feels off to have only the front ones.
      • Handbrake needs to be fixed this spring if it's gonna pass the yearly inspection.
      • Emblems are gonna get fitted on the car as soon as the paint is better.
      • MOMO Strut bar is literally standing in a corner at my apartment. Can't wait to get it mounted!
      • Armrest in better condition also laying in my apartment just waiting to get installed.
      • I have 2 fog lights in better condition at my parents in a box. The winter in sweden can be really snowy and cold so I don't want to stand outside fixing the car..
      • Also at my parents is a 3" straight pipe from the turbo with a racekat. A 16T in good shape is also just waiting to get installed....
      • Lower even more, maybe cut the springs 1 row? And mount the rear ones. I wan't the car to get an aggressive stance. Not too aggressive since I still want to drive the thing around.
      • 25mm spacers in the rear to get those wheels out. It looks awkward when theyre hiding under the fender like that.
      • Probably new tires 215/35-18 for 2017.
      • Putty(?) the hole for headlight wipers. The hole is just there and looks wrong. I need to fill it and paint the trim.
      • TWR sticker on the front spoiler, ala BTCC style.
      • Mount the front lip again, I removed it to get it painted but it never happened so I just want to install it again.
      • Paint or dip the trim around the car! The grey trim looks so sad and I just want it to look good again..
      • Change vinyl on B and C pillars to shiny black. Funny story. When I bought the vinyl, they didnt have black... They had black diamond that glittered in the light.. But I bought that and sprayed it black so it looks alot better, but right now I feel that it could've been done right from the start.
      • "Svenska T-gul Klubben" (Swedish Cream Yellow Club" decor on windshield. This is not prio 1 but I'd love to support the Swedish yellow club and this feels like the right way to do it.
      • Nordic R decor on rear window (mayybe). I don't know about this one. I don't want to put too many stickers on it but the Nordic R is the swedish R community and they kinda deserve a place on the car aswell.
      • Get an XC-grill again. Some sad things happened to the car last fall. Firstly someone stole my newly refurbished XC-grill. A week later I see this note on my windshield that says that someone witnessed a couple of drunk teenagers jumping on my hood and roof. This took some toll on me and I decided to lay everything about this car one ice for a few months until I'd starting to crave working on it again. And I can tell you right now that I've never been this excited about this year working on the car.
      • I really need to clean the entire car, both inside, outside and engine bay. It looked like **** last fall and it's gonna look like **** when the snow starts to melt.
      • Wash the steering wheel. My friend that stripped his T5 actually got enough money from it to buy a genuine olive green T-5R wagon for $600!! When we went across the country to buy some spare parts for it, the guy selling the stuff said to put the steering wheel and armrest in hot water with soap and massage the alcantara. My friend just did this and it kinda looks like new again, so I really have to do this too!

Pictures!
      I have hundreds of them but I'll let you get a taste with these 2:

This is how the car looked like 2009:

And this is how it looked like half a year ago:

Let me know what you think!
      Last edited by Turbojeppe; 02-09-2017 at 08:25 AM. Reason: Formating

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Beautiful car! Looks clean!

I, for one, would not mind hearing the story from the beginning.
      96 855T, blue on ivory, 146,000 miles

99 V70R, silver on charcoal, 95,000 miles

Quote Originally Posted by jalwlb View Post
      Beautiful car! Looks clean!

I, for one, would not mind hearing the story from the beginning.
      Hi! Glad you like it!
      I reformatted the entire post so it has a lot more info! It kinda has the short side of everything, but the story about my brother, this car and me is something I could talk/write about for hours..

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Welcome to swedespeed and thanks for posting your story!
      Past Volvos: '94 854, '99 S70 T5 SE, '99 S70 GLT, '04 S60RM, '12 S60 T5, '13 S60 T5, '15 S60 RD
      Present Garage: '16 MX5 Club, '95 854 T-5R, '05 V70RGT, '15.5 XC60 T6, '16 V60 P*

Since I can't do much when it's winter but roll my thumbs and wait for the spring, I'd figure I can upload some things every now and then about what has been done.

This is when I first got it. Standing still for 2 years, the R-wheels have bad tires but I still had some old turbo wheels from my parents v70 laying around.
      You can see how ugly the grill is and not much is done to the car atm. The coils are removed and I believe it sits on regular 850 springs and not T-5R springs.

----

This is about a month after, I bought new wheels and cleaned it inside and out. The bumper-trim is better and darker after using some goo on it (can't remember what it was, some bumper shine or similar)
      The 19" Dotz were kinda uncomfortable and way too big for this car. Everytime i had a passenger and hit a bump, the tires would scrape the inside of the fender and I can remember the pain in my heart I felt every time, but the car looked better than ever and I got used avoiding bumps. The grill has been replaced to a stock one.

----

I don't really like the state it was in this picture, the white wheels wasn't the best choice but since the tires on the Dotz were done and I could trade those for these 4 white 19 R with good tires + 2 extra 19 R without tires. What I didn't know when I traded was that one of these white rims were cracked. Luckily my other brother works in this kind of business and can fix it. The crack wasnt big and he welded it at his job.

Although, this is when I had mounted the splitter. I looove that thing!

I still felt like I grew out of these big wheels after a while but at some angles it looked really good!

----

I don't want to spoil you with too much info about 2016 if I'm gonna be active here until the spring/summer. But here I got the 18 BBS wheels which made the car feel soo much better. I can finally drive on a road full speed without having to avoid bumps or something like that. And the fact that they cost me $80 with good tires was almost too good to be true!
      A lot happened this year that I'm dying to show you!

----

Although, I can share this video I had on my phone after getting the turbo to spool up as it should after not working for some reason..
      I was at the gas station and fueled up, after leaving I noticed the turbo wouldn't boost. It got up to about 0,2bar (about 3 psi) and just stalled there.. I stopped, felt and squeezed the hoses to see if anyone was leaking. Didn't notice anything weird. Started the car again and ran just fine

The year 2016 will soon continue!
      Last edited by Turbojeppe; 02-08-2017 at 04:46 PM. Reason: Formatting

My friend's T5 got this really bad knocking in his engine that matched the revving, we took a look at it and noticed his top block was cracked. He bought a new engine for $300 and we figured that we can totally swap the engines!
      Two guys with almost no experience thought we could get that experience by doing it. LOL. Long story made short, we gave up and started to strip it. And I was the guy that bought almost every good thing out of it. He was also very kind by giving me roughly half the price he would ask for from the beginning since his car had been standing on my parents yard for about 6 months.

A little while before this, I had ordered something yummy from the interwebz!

OEM emblems and OEM brakelight i believe. Also some cheap LED's for the number plate lights.

..also some lowering springs.

The old springs really looked bad..

Sleeeek

And working brake light once again!

Volvo 850 T-5R -95 "Cream Yellow" - Summer car - Progression thread - Racecar look? Stance look? Haven't decided yet!
      Peugeot 306 XS -97 - Winter car - Broken immobilizer means no starting car..

The next day I worked with stuff that was a bit more subtle. Things I know I have fixed, but someone else wouldn't be able to tell.

This day I swapped the broken rear gas springs to a couple that actually holds the trunk open. Even better that they're used "Biltema" gas springs since new once has a tendency to want to smack you on your chin and shatter your teeth if you open the trunk.
      I also switched the left bottom piece of tail light. If you scroll up a bit you can see that it's slightly tinted. It has annoyed me for some time and now was the time to finally switch it to a proper one.

Sorry for the bad quality..

The subs is a must. Loud music with heavy bass!

I also took some other parts from the T5. Such as new, functioning rear speakers, cover piece for those speakers and the left floor piece that I could kinda destroy when mounting a fire extinguisher.
      Volvo 850 T-5R -95 "Cream Yellow" - Summer car - Progression thread - Racecar look? Stance look? Haven't decided yet!

Hey what's up man! Welcome to SS. Awesome looking car and cool story you got there. I'm sorry to hear of your brother's passing.

I love the picture of the car at the old gas station 👍
      2004 Volvo S60R - Stuff. IPD Elevate Snabb.
      1997 Volvo 850R - All original, all stock, all beautiful.

Quote Originally Posted by nick_rabbo View Post
      Hey what's up man! Welcome to SS. Awesome looking car and cool story you got there. I'm sorry to hear of your brother's passing.

I love the picture of the car at the old gas station 👍

Hi! Thank you, thank you and thank you. I means alot all of it!

I've got a thing for gas stations..

This day was full of subtle changes. I swapped the dash to a better one. While I was doing that I saw this huge cable harness behind the stereo and thought that my friends T5 didn't have near as many cables as I had. So I pulled out the stereo and lo' and behold. Some huge adapter for my stereo? This adapter also had a lot of cut and taped cables.. Went over to the T5 and snagged a clean, small adapter. Before switching the adapter, my front speakers didn't work. I tried switching them to newer ones but didn't matter. After I swapped the adapter my front speakers "magically" worked! I wonder if someone had cut the cables to them on the old adapter..
      I also felt it was time to swap the A-pillar boost gauge-holder to a more appealing one and I actually permanently screwed it on. (grammar?) My old holder was cheaper, thinner plastic and flat out ugly so I guess it was time to swap.

And some TWR stickers I bought from US found their place on the car. I got 2 more and thinking about putting one on the front spoiler.

Here are some pictures!

Welcome to the forum! Car looks great, and thanks for the compliments on my thread. I think you have inspired me to try taking some of these gas station photos with my 850s. Cool shots.

How does the 2.0 engine perform compared to the 2.3? I've always heard that it's more rev happy than the 2.3 but I don't think we've ever had a member on here that's actually had one of those engines.

Quote Originally Posted by JaredR View Post
      Welcome to the forum! Car looks great, and thanks for the compliments on my thread. I think you have inspired me to try taking some of these gas station photos with my 850s. Cool shots.

How does the 2.0 engine perform compared to the 2.3? I've always heard that it's more rev happy than the 2.3 but I don't think we've ever had a member on here that's actually had one of those engines.
      Thank you! Go for it.

Well, I'm gonna be really biased since I've never driven a 2.3L T-5R/R.. But I've heard the 2.0L automatic isn't much to hang in a christmas tree. And I have to say my manual is doing pretty good vs my friends olive green automatic 2.3L T-5R. It was only in 5th gear that he managed to pull away from me. The plan is to eventually swap to a B5234T5 when or if my engine give up. But I've heard they're strong and have a thicker block that's more durable!

One small update, I finally got a strut bar! Me and my friend went on a 31 miles (even converted for you!) long trip to buy parts for his green T-5R. The guy who sold the strut bar also had a good looking arm rest. Both of these for $67 which I think is pretty cheap. He originally wanted $56 for the arm rest and $33 for the strut bar, but since my friend bought stuff for around $200, it made him give us a better price for all of it.

I also have this dream of modifying stuff on the car. This is not planned, just a vision. I'm thinking about making a front lip thats a bit racing-inspired. Same with a little lip for the side skirts. Perhaps make a diffuser (I have seen this on instagram).

And modify the spoiler. Now, the R32 have the coolest, most discreet, aggressive looking spoiler. I've came up with a poorly made concept which I will share with you!

Note that these is just thoughts, not plans!

Quote Originally Posted by Turbojeppe View Post
      This day was full of subtle changes. I swapped the dash to a better one. While I was doing that I saw this huge cable harness behind the stereo and thought that my friends T5 didn't have near as many cables as I had. So I pulled out the stereo and lo' and behold. Some huge adapter for my stereo? This adapter also had a lot of cut and taped cables.. Went over to the T5 and snagged a clean, small adapter. Before switching the adapter, my front speakers didn't work. I tried switching them to newer ones but didn't matter. After I swapped the adapter my front speakers "magically" worked! I wonder if someone had cut the cables to them on the old adapter..
      I also felt it was time to swap the A-pillar boost gauge-holder to a more appealing one and I actually permanently screwed it on. (grammar?) My old holder was cheaper, thinner plastic and flat out ugly so I guess it was time to swap.

And some TWR stickers I bought from US found their place on the car. I got 2 more and thinking about putting one on the front spoiler.

Here are some pictures!

So I'm not the only one with the passenger air bag cover peeling off from the corner? LoL
      2004 Volvo S60R - Stuff. IPD Elevate Snabb.
      1997 Volvo 850R - All original, all stock, all beautiful.

So I'm not the only one with the passenger air bag cover peeling off from the corner? LoL
      Nope! I didn't want to remove the passenger air bag either so I got lucky with my friends mint dashboard.

Woke up today with 9 degree celsius. All snow was gone! It's like springs already here but I know it will snow again eventually. But I decided to go visit the car and turning it for the second time after 5 months. First time was a couple of weeks ago where it sounded that it ran on 4 cylinders. Happy to say everything was normal now. The car just disliked the cold!

I also mounted the strut bar and changed the arm rest. If the car wasn't blocked by my parents Passat with drained battery and still frozen to the ground, I would've taken it for a little drive and maybe washed it. But that will happen another time.

Strut bar mounted!

Old arm rest

Comparison. I noticed that the 'new' arm rest is a bit dirty now when I look at the photos. That will be cleaned eventually.

'New' arm rest! And photos finally taken with a good camera instead of my phone.

Progress is looking good! What's the story with the holes in the trim under the headlight?

Progress is looking good! What's the story with the holes in the trim under the headlight?
      It isn't much of a story rather than me trying to make the car look "my own"! I want it to stand out from the other T-5R's and kinda turn heads. But short story? Racelook! Future plan is to move the battery to the back and create a better airflow to the filter. I've seen others that have small holes or kinda long holes with a net but I went big holes.

Kinda like this.

Best part is that it's such a small piece that I can replace easily if I ever wanted to.

Last fall, some drunk teenagers decided it would be really fun to jump from car to car, mine included. My hood got 'trashed' but the roof didn't seem to have any damage. Cops were called but they all got away. The deductible (?) is $556(!) for vandalism and that's not the money I own to pay for a new hood and paint. This really took a toll on me since someone also stole my XC (eggcrate) grill I've refurbished a few weeks before. The plan now is to find a yellow hood, but that's not likely to happen. So I'm expecting to aim for finding a black one. Black is neutral compared to other colors. I know it's gonna be a little 2001 the fast and the furious look so I decided to photoshop a picture I have to see how it would look.

This seems alot better than driving around with a trashed yellow hood?

While I was making this picture I thought I could photoshop other things aswell, so I made a 2017 goal with this picture!
      I think it's a realistic goal for me and my budget as a student to manage throughout the year.
      The list of following mods or what you wanna call it - 2017:
      • Lower the car even more.
      • 20-25mm rear spacers.
      • Refurbished fog lights.
      • Fix the wiper-holes on the headlight-trim.
      • Find a rear right wind deflector.
      • Fix the trim around the car.
      • Get an eggcrate grill again.

this looks so sick! i love the hole under the headlight idea and might steal the idea from you! my wipers are gone for some reason and that would be a good fix. keep up the work it looks amazing
      ~~~ 1996 Volvo 850 Platinum ~~~

Quote Originally Posted by Platinum_brick View Post
      this looks so sick! i love the hole under the headlight idea and might steal the idea from you! my wipers are gone for some reason and that would be a good fix. keep up the work it looks amazing
      Yeah the holes make the car look really aggressive IMO! Steal away!

Have you thought about painting a new hood yourself? I'm expecting to spend about $300 for the paint and the cost of materials for the building I'm currently in the process of making that I will be doing it in (details on that should be coming later this week in my thread). My dad has a HVLP setup based around a vacuum cleaner turned around backwards that he says he used with great success to paint a Chevy panel truck he had in the '70s; we are going to clean the mice out of the vacuum and revive that setup for this project so it isn't included in the cost, but you could buy a used setup and sell it when you're done which should bring that cost to the vicinity of zero. If you have access to a barn or similar structure, then you just need the plastic to build a makeshift spray booth and maybe a few pieces of wood to get the plastic under control, which would have reduced the total cost of this project to about $150. If all goes well with my hood, I'll respray my bumpers, mirrors, and rockers while I'm at it, so the whole car will look better than it did before the collision with the deer.
      Last edited by JaredR; 02-21-2017 at 07:42 PM.

Have you thought about painting a new hood yourself? I'm expecting to spend about $300 for the paint and the cost of materials for the building I'm currently in the process of making that I will be doing it in (details on that should be coming later this week in my thread). My dad has a HVLP setup based around a vacuum cleaner turned around backwards that he says he used with great success to paint a Chevy panel truck he had in the '70s; we are going to clean the mice out of the vacuum and revive that setup for this project so it isn't included in the cost, but you could buy a used setup and sell it when you're done which should bring that cost to the vicinity of zero. If you have access to a barn or similar structure, then you just need the plastic to build a makeshift spray booth and maybe a few pieces of wood to get the plastic under control, which would have reduced the total cost of this project to about $150. If all goes well with my hood, I'll respray my bumpers, mirrors, and rockers while I'm at it, so the whole car will look better than it did before the collision with the deer.
      This is pretty much my plans but not this year. My budget as a student is pretty much non existence but I can surely find a cheap hood at some local scrapyard.
      The entire car needs a new paintjob but the worst parts right now are the front and sideskirts. But none of that can happen until I'm done with school and got a job!

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Turbojeppe View Post
      This is pretty much my plans but not this year. My budget as a student is pretty much non existence but I can surely find a cheap hood at some local scrapyard.
      The entire car needs a new paintjob but the worst parts right now are the front and sideskirts. But none of that can happen until I'm done with school and got a job!

I sympathize with that! Luckily my school has an excellent cooperative education program, so I've made enough to fund enough of the projects I want to do to keep me entertained despite the fact that I am also still in school. When I consider all the stuff I've managed to pull off so far on such a low budget, I get a bit worried about how many projects I am going to get myself into after I graduate and have a full time salary to play with LOL .

I sympathize with that! Luckily my school has an excellent cooperative education program, so I've made enough to fund enough of the projects I want to do to keep me entertained despite the fact that I am also still in school. When I consider all the stuff I've managed to pull off so far on such a low budget, I get a bit worried about how many projects I am going to get myself into after I graduate and have a full time salary to play with LOL .
      Nice! I know that feeling lol. I get around $1000 a month (70% of that is loan) for studying but it can be hard getting by sometimes. I can't wait until I'm done and get a job so I can throw money at this car or another R in the future!

I have that too, I never notice it unless I have a passenger sitting there and I wonder if they get concerned.
      Can I just glue it down? I can't imagine it would affect the performance of the air bag given how violently it would deploy.

And Turbojeppe, I appreciate what this project means to you as a tribute car. I'm happy your are able to continue what your brother started. I will watch your progress with a full heart.
      Have fun

Quote Originally Posted by Rocketwagon View Post
      I have that too, I never notice it unless I have a passenger sitting there and I wonder if they get concerned.
      Can I just glue it down? I can't imagine it would affect the performance of the air bag given how violently it would deploy.

And Turbojeppe, I appreciate what this project means to you as a tribute car. I'm happy your are able to continue what your brother started. I will watch your progress with a full heart.
      Have fun
      The problem is what to glue it down with. I tried some Super 77. That didn't work, so I tried some Super 90. That also didn't work. I suspect my application method was problematic though as my spray cans were a bit messed up.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocketwagon View Post

Have fun
      I have tried gluing it down with superglue, contact adhesive and some other stuff my father uses when working (works with carpets and floors). Nothing worked..
      You can try fixing it by following these steps I've seen on another forum. I thought it would be easier just to replace it with a dashboard that's already healthy. 10 minutes work to remove it.

Thank you, it means alot.

The problem is what to glue it down with. I tried some Super 77. That didn't work, so I tried some Super 90. That also didn't work. I suspect my application method was problematic though as my spray cans were a bit messed up.
      I would try something like 3M 4200. I have never used it but a coworker has and he says really good stuff. He's a sailor like you Jared and uses it for things on his boat. He recommended it to me for something I needed to glue at work.
      Last edited by maronha; 02-24-2017 at 07:06 AM.
      2006 Sonic V70R GT 132k, 2013 XC90 R Design Electric Silver 30K (The Wife's), 2015 Silverado High Country 1500 4WD Ruby Metallic 35k

Tried to get some pictures of the damage hood, but it's very hard to get the damages on picture. I tried editing it so they would show better.

I'm lucky to have my parents live about ½ mile from a scrapyard. When I got there I saw maybe five 850s but the first one was black and looked like it "just got there". The hood looked good but I wanted to see the other hoods. They were rusted out or had deep scratches. The black one was almost perfect. It looks REALLY good but got a few 5mm (1/5 inch) rust-spots at the grill.

65 bucks later I got home with a new hood, grill and the cover for the fuse box I managed to break last summer!

Your yellow hood doesn't look that bad in the pics though like you suggest, the pics may not be getting all of the damage. If it was my car I would try paintless dent repair (PDR) on that hood before trying to paint the black one. A good PDR guy can work wonders. In the US it would probably cost around $150 to give it a try.
      Past Volvos: '94 854, '99 S70 T5 SE, '99 S70 GLT, '04 S60RM, '12 S60 T5, '13 S60 T5, '15 S60 RD
      Present Garage: '16 MX5 Club, '95 854 T-5R, '05 V70RGT, '15.5 XC60 T6, '16 V60 P*

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne T5 View Post
      Your yellow hood doesn't look that bad in the pics though like you suggest, the pics may not be getting all of the damage. If it was my car I would try paintless dent repair (PDR) on that hood before trying to paint the black one. A good PDR guy can work wonders. In the US it would probably cost around $150 to give it a try.
      It's worse than the picture can show you. My brother has worked with PDR the last 10 years and I value his opinion very much. The dents are very rough (i.e not soft enought to "bump out") and will require putty to make it smooth again. Since it requires putty, it then requires paint to make it original again. This WILL happen eventually, it's just not something I can do on my student budget.

Edit: Yes the black hood is pretty much temporary for 2017. My parents helped me with the cost and it's better than riding around with a dented hood! Also needed if the yellow one is gonna get fixed

Quote Originally Posted by maronha View Post
      I would try something like 3M 4200. I have never used it but a coworker has and he says really good stuff. He's a sailor like you Jared and uses it for things on his boat. He recommended it to me for something I needed to glue at work.
      Yes, 4200 is good stuff. That might do the trick. 4200 and 5200 are very popular in the marine industry.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne T5 View Post
      There is a secondary problem with PDR on the hood which is that a lot of areas on the hood are double wall. PDR is somewhere between a lot harder and impossible when you can't access the back side of the panel.

There is a secondary problem with PDR on the hood which is that a lot of areas on the hood are double wall. PDR is somewhere between a lot harder and impossible when you can't access the back side of the panel.
      Yes this is a huge problem. The "X" underneath the hood covers alot of the dents. Making it hard to soften them out.

Visited the 850 a bit today when I was at my parents. I had a few minutes to spend on it and decided to mount the lip even if it's not painted. Always thought it looked empty without it..

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast