When renting a car, has anyone specified a Volvo and got it?
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    Results 1 to 16 of 16
    1. #1

      When renting a car, has anyone specified a Volvo and got it?

      We'll be taking a trip out west this summer, flying out there then taking a road trip to see some sights.

      Since we have small kids, I want a Volvo on the road, nothing else.

      However most car rental companies wont allow you to specify what car you get.

      Is there anything I can do to guarantee I get a Volvo to drive?
      -
      - XC60 T5 Drive-E MY-2015.5 Savile Grey Platinum w/ BLIS, Blond/Black Sport seats, Heated front. OSD -

    2. Remove Advertisements

      Advertisements
       

    3. #2
      Member Wayne T5's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 2002
      Location
      Russell Twp, OH
      Posts
      6,955
      I have rented Volvos several times but just tended to luck out and see them on the lot when I walked up to the counter. If it's a large airport like LAX or SFO and you pick one of the rental companies that have Volvo's then you would at least have a better chance of getting one. I used to see Volvo's at Hertz locations pretty regularly but that was years ago.
      Past Volvos: '94 854, '99 S70 T5 SE, '99 S70 GLT, '04 S60RM, '12 S60 T5, '13 S60 T5, '15 S60 RD
      Present Garage: '16 MX5 Club, '95 854 T-5R, '05 V70RGT, '15.5 XC60 T6, '16 V60 P*

    4. #3
      hmm, I'd rather have a confirmed reservation. I wondered if a Volvo dealer would rent a vehicle, but I'm not sure I want to go that route.
      -
      - XC60 T5 Drive-E MY-2015.5 Savile Grey Platinum w/ BLIS, Blond/Black Sport seats, Heated front. OSD -

    5. Remove Advertisements

      Advertisements
       

    6. #4
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Sep 2013
      Location
      Fairbanks, Alaska
      Posts
      89
      While in Malmö, Sweden five years ago, I contacted a car rental agency and requested a Volvo wagon. When I went to pick up the car, waiting for me was a VW Passat wagon. I did rent a V70 in Brussels a couple of years earlier though, without even requesting it. It was either the V70 or a Renault Clio.
      2014 OSD S60 T6 R Design, Power Blue, Platinum, Climate Pkg.

    7. #5
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Dec 2016
      Location
      Suburban Philadelphia
      Posts
      64
      I had reserved a small Merc with Hertz for my most recent trip to England about seven years back, just myself and my then 7 year old daughter. We had lots of miles to cover so wanted something automatic, comfortable, but not too heavy on the gas. When I go to the Hertz counter the agent was trying hard to persuade me to take a V70 diesel wagon for just a few pounds extra per day. I politely declined, explaining that there was just the two of us, we really had no need for all that extra space, even at that bargain price... he kept on the pressure, now just two pounds per day extra... it was starting to get irritating: we'd done a red-eye transatlantic flight, spent an extra hour in the air circling over northern England waiting for fog to disperse enough for us to land, and I still had the best part of 200 miles to drive to my final destination, and this guy just wouldn't take no for an answer. Then it dawned on me: he didn't have the Merc or suitable replacement, so he had to upgrade me to the Volvo... and was desperately trying to get me to agree to pay something for it instead of having to give it to me for the price of the Merc.

      Once I eventually figured out where to put the matchbox size key thingy and maneuvered this gargantuan machine out of the tiny laned multi-story car park (parking garage) We covered most of the M6, both ways, the entire M5, most of the M4 and a lap and a half of the M25, despite it being ridiclously oversized for our requirements, and the absurd nagging navigation lady forever telling me to "turn right" at exits to stay on the Motorways, not to mention the intensity of her instructions at roundabouts, I actually enjoyed it much more than I expected to... at least until I had to fill it up - always painful in England for any visitor from the States, but this was spectacularly so.

      That was the first and only Volvo I had driven then, and remained so until I started test driving C70s four months ago, before finally buying mine at the end of November.

    8. #6
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Apr 2012
      Location
      Washington
      Posts
      473
      One time out of Burbank airport, I was supposed to have a Toyota Camry but as the counter person started to look at his inventory, he told me with disappointment in his voice, "Looks like we only have a Volvo S40 available."

      I said, "Oh." but I really thought, "Yay!"

      Best rental car in a long time.
      '83 242 Burgundy w/B230FT, '06 V50 Barents T5 AWD, '10 S40 Ice White T5 AWD,
      '12 C30 Ice White T5 R Design w/Polestar, and '13 C30 Rebel LE #189/250
      ALL MANUAL TRANSMISSIONS

      Manual Volvos for Life

    9. #7
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Jul 2016
      Location
      CT
      Posts
      150
      Did you check out turo.com? Had a great experience renting a GTI in SF once. I would recommend to go with someone with a lot of trips and positive reviews. The first two people I tried to rent from had very few trips/reviews and cancelled the reservation. The third one (Tony S.) had great reviews, dropped off the car at our airbnb address in SF and waited for us at the curb of the terminal for drop off. I see he still has the GTI, no Volvo, but just added a 2017 F31 to his 'fleet'.

    10. #8
      Quote Originally Posted by buzzo View Post
      Did you check out turo.com? Had a great experience renting a GTI in SF once. I would recommend to go with someone with a lot of trips and positive reviews. The first two people I tried to rent from had very few trips/reviews and cancelled the reservation. The third one (Tony S.) had great reviews, dropped off the car at our airbnb address in SF and waited for us at the curb of the terminal for drop off. I see he still has the GTI, no Volvo, but just added a 2017 F31 to his 'fleet'.
      Hmm, that's interesting! I'll definitely check that out, thank you.
      -
      - XC60 T5 Drive-E MY-2015.5 Savile Grey Platinum w/ BLIS, Blond/Black Sport seats, Heated front. OSD -

    11. #9
      Quote Originally Posted by johnee View Post
      We'll be taking a trip out west this summer, flying out there then taking a road trip to see some sights.

      Since we have small kids, I want a Volvo on the road, nothing else.

      However most car rental companies wont allow you to specify what car you get.

      Is there anything I can do to guarantee I get a Volvo to drive?


      I think Sixt has Volvo for rent. You can specify, they cannot guarantee. It would be worth making the rsv. on the phone to talk with the sales rep. Then request again at the desk. You don't have leverage though if that is a deal breaker.


      Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

    12. #10
      Quote Originally Posted by Profiler View Post
      I think Sixt has Volvo for rent. You can specify, they cannot guarantee. It would be worth making the rsv. on the phone to talk with the sales rep. Then request again at the desk. You don't have leverage though if that is a deal breaker.


      Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
      WOW, that's great. I've never heard of that company, but yes, I'm surprised what I can get :

      Mercedes-Benz E-Class or Cadillac CTS, Cadillac CT6, Volvo S90 or similar Premium-Sedan | XCAR
      The price is inline with my expectation as well, even with loss damage waiver.

      Thanks!
      -
      - XC60 T5 Drive-E MY-2015.5 Savile Grey Platinum w/ BLIS, Blond/Black Sport seats, Heated front. OSD -

    13. #11
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Mar 2017
      Location
      Canada
      Posts
      7
      I know in Canada, Hertz rents Volvos. Luckily I was able to specify and rent one for this week from the Toronto (YYZ) airport. They didn't have a V60/V60CC which is what I was hoping to get, but they did have both a S60 and XC60 on the lot, ended up taking a white S60. I found, once you've made your booking, if you're able to get a hold of the rental counter and ask for one, they seem more inclined to assist you in getting one.

    14. #12
      Quote Originally Posted by MikeyJ View Post
      I know in Canada, Hertz rents Volvos. Luckily I was able to specify and rent one for this week from the Toronto (YYZ) airport. They didn't have a V60/V60CC which is what I was hoping to get, but they did have both a S60 and XC60 on the lot, ended up taking a white S60. I found, once you've made your booking, if you're able to get a hold of the rental counter and ask for one, they seem more inclined to assist you in getting one.
      I use Hertz exclusively and I've tried a few times to get the counter at airports but they either never answer or I am unable to be transferred to it.

      I did make a reservation at Sixt and will be attempting to get a hold of the counter a few weeks before the trip, let's see what happens.

      The res is for a "Mercedes-Benz GLC, BMW X3, Cadillac XT5, Audi Q5 or similar to group LFAR ".

      Now when I first started poking around, I do remember seeing they offered an S90 in one of the categories. I am hoping they have an XC60 in this category and can secure it before we leave.
      -
      - XC60 T5 Drive-E MY-2015.5 Savile Grey Platinum w/ BLIS, Blond/Black Sport seats, Heated front. OSD -

    15. #13
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Mar 2017
      Location
      Canada
      Posts
      7
      Quote Originally Posted by johnee View Post
      I use Hertz exclusively and I've tried a few times to get the counter at airports but they either never answer or I am unable to be transferred to it.

      I did make a reservation at Sixt and will be attempting to get a hold of the counter a few weeks before the trip, let's see what happens.

      The res is for a "Mercedes-Benz GLC, BMW X3, Cadillac XT5, Audi Q5 or similar to group LFAR ".

      Now when I first started poking around, I do remember seeing they offered an S90 in one of the categories. I am hoping they have an XC60 in this category and can secure it before we leave.
      Yeah, it took awhile for me to get a person from the counter to answer as well. Depending on when your arrival is, you could always see what's available at the time of rental and request a Volvo then. With mine, I had the only reservation at the time and could've changed to the XC60 if I wanted to, the customer service rep I had was pretty easy going. It probably helped that it was also like 7 AM and I was the first rental.

      Hopefully you can get ahold of someone before you take off.

    16. #14
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Mar 2017
      Location
      San Luis Obispo, CA
      Posts
      103
      This past May, I was able to secure an S90 T5 Momentum from Sixt rental at Sea-Tac, by calling the counter, after reserving that class of car on-line. They *always* tell you that it cannot be guaranteed (but a Mercedes E class, Cadillac CTS or C6 are also choices). By calling the morning of my afternoon arrival, I was able to know that there were 4 available, with 2 reservations for that class of car. I was told that if one was not immediately available, they would bring one from a remote lot within 45 minutes of my arrival at the counter. In my case, it was closer to 20 minutes. Persistence and luck won out. I liked the car so much, I spent a great deal of time on my vacation pursuing buying one. Love the internet.
      2017 S90 T6 AWD Inscription w/Polestar (my 1st Volvo)/ Black Onyx/Amber; Climate; HUD; Convenience; Vision; 20" Wheels; Metallic Paint; Spoiler; Polestar;
      2016 Hyundai Sonata Plug-in Hybrid;
      2004 VW Phaeton V8 (soon to be sold)

    17. #15
      I booked a Volvo convertible at Maui through Hertz once...showed up and there was an Mercedes e-class convertible in my stall....its Maui and its a nice convertible. Who could complain?

    18. #16
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Mar 2017
      Location
      San Luis Obispo, CA
      Posts
      103
      Hertz used to offer a class where you could actually rent an S80. I downloaded the manual to study it! I booked it and when I arrived in Sea-Tac, they told me that the S80 was not available, and they were upgrading me to an Infiniti. But, they actually had upgraded me to an Mercedes E class. The Hertz rep was in training, but seriously. That car got a windshield ding from a passing trunk on a deserted dirt road, somewhere between Montana and Idaho. It turned ugly quickly. I tried to get a window shop to fix it, but they couldn't. That cost me quite a bit of deductible, and other costs, which swore me off of ever renting with Hertz (because the Hertz Corporate office person handling these things was incompetent and drove me nuts.)
      2017 S90 T6 AWD Inscription w/Polestar (my 1st Volvo)/ Black Onyx/Amber; Climate; HUD; Convenience; Vision; 20" Wheels; Metallic Paint; Spoiler; Polestar;
      2016 Hyundai Sonata Plug-in Hybrid;
      2004 VW Phaeton V8 (soon to be sold)

    19. Remove Advertisements

      Advertisements