The FLASH!
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Thread: The FLASH!

The FLASH!

Hello R enthusiasts,

This is m'first thread and, Mods, if this isn't the preferred location, please move.

Anyway, I just bought an 06 R from the classifieds here and am beginning the morphing. I want to flash the ECU and am a little torn as to whether to go IPD, or Elevate. I like the idea of physically having a loader (ELE) that will also pull and clear codes. I also like the idea of not having the car be down for a week. On the other hand, the love and respect lauded on IPD isn't lost on me; I just bought their exhaust. Additionally, I plan to eventually do the charge pipe and the R Kelly airbox augmentation and that'll be the extent of my engine modding.

So, help a brother out here. Let me read your experiences and edumacated opinings on which flash to flash and especially, WHY!

Thanks in advance.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

For the codes, you're much better off with a VIDA/DICE unit. My $.02
      V70R 110,xxx; 99 V70R 280,xxx; 2008 Exige S.

Skip both of those and go with Hilton. Zero down time, better price, better tune. Just get a VIDA/DICE unit and call it a day
      Black 2000 V70R - Hilton Stage 1, CJ Yother Downpipe, IPD HD CBV, SNABB Intake elbow, IPD short ram intake, IPD poly subframe inserts, SNABB RIP Kit, IPD HD Ignition coils, IPD Strut brace, IPD HD End links, IPD Sway bars, Polyurethane transmission torque mount

+3 for VIDA/DICE and +9000 for the Hilton tune. iPd and Elevate tunes are one size fits all and don't work well with piece by piece modding like Hilton does. Hilton tunes are mapped specifically for YOUR car based on data logs you send him using his software.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      06 SR Sonicama GT - Hilton 2.5, Snabb intake, RS4 MAF, Billet compressor wheel, FMIC, Plasma Direct coils, and a custom dual exit exhaust. Accepting donations to have the car repainted, previous owner tailgated like an a**hole ...

Another vote for VIDA and Hilton.

Step 1: get a DICE unit with VIDA.
      Step 2: get a Hilton tune
      Step 3: flash said tune to your car with DICE unit.
      Step 4: log a few runs and return data to Hilton
      Step 5: flash revised tune to car
      2004 Moose Longroof Go-Fast Row-It-Yourself

Quote Originally Posted by conorv70r View Post
      Skip both of those and go with Hilton. Zero down time, better price, better tune. Just get a VIDA/DICE unit and call it a day
      Quote Originally Posted by Basssteakman View Post
      +3 for VIDA/DICE and +9000 for the Hilton tune. iPd and Elevate tunes are one size fits all and don't work well with piece by piece modding like Hilton does. Hilton tunes are mapped specifically for YOUR car based on data logs you send him using his software.

Quote Originally Posted by taloras View Post
      Another vote for VIDA and Hilton.

Step 1: get a DICE unit with VIDA.
      Step 2: get a Hilton tune
      Step 3: flash said tune to your car with DICE unit.
      Step 4: log a few runs and return data to Hilton
      Step 5: flash revised tune to car
      Thanks for the thoughtful replies, fella's.

Correct if I'm wrong, but I sense an inference that a) you guys may like "Hilton" and, b) I'd be better off to do the intake work before I do the flash, yes? Ergo, flash last?

As I've never heard of "Hilton" until this moment, can someone please provide a bit more detail and a link? Also, school me on "Dice unit". I've been a car-spoiled son of a car dealer all my life and campaigned a Triumph Spitfire in SCCA for a few years, so I'm not a total neophyte, but where concerns V cars, I am fundamentally out of my depth and in dire need of some tender hand holding.

Finally, what's my best option for the charge pipe? All i've been looking at basically is ipd. I only discovered Elevate very recently. Are there other; better, less expensive alternatives?
      Last edited by Herf N Turf; 02-19-2017 at 08:07 AM.

Why are you wasting money on a charge pipe? That's fing useless.

DiCE is the name of the Volvo box that interfaces the car to the computer. VIDA is Volvo's diagnostic software. Sold as a package (VIDA/DiCE).

Stage 0 the car then modify it. The intake and airbox of the car are the best designed parts... Good to more HP than you will ever use. Just don't go too crazy and make sure to pick the right tuner... or you'll break a cylinder wall!

Google Hilton tuning.

Forget IPD or Elevate. Look at Do88 or Snabb if you really want an intake pipe for some dumb reason.

Also never put a K&N in the car.
      Exponents kill
      Elsa my 2004 V70R Silver Metallic&Nordkap >π Miles
      Link to thread: wafflesv70r on Instagram Unofficial R part catalog and maintenance interval spreadsheet.

I bought the iPd charge air pipe after my stock one cracked (ahem, houndogger) and it looks a hell of a lot nicer than the oem one.

06 SR Sonicama GT - Hilton 2.5, Snabb intake, RS4 MAF, Billet compressor wheel, FMIC, Plasma Direct coils, and a custom dual exit exhaust. Accepting donations to have the car repainted, previous owner tailgated like an a**hole ...

Quote Originally Posted by Basssteakman View Post
      I bought the iPd charge air pipe after my stock one cracked (ahem, houndogger) and it looks a hell of a lot nicer than the oem one.

Well if it isn't broken... I know that the 06-07 cars have that issue and replacing the pipe is $$$.
      Exponents kill
      Elsa my 2004 V70R Silver Metallic&Nordkap >π Miles
      Link to thread: wafflesv70r on Instagram Unofficial R part catalog and maintenance interval spreadsheet.

Quote Originally Posted by Hounddogger View Post

DiCE is the name of the Volvo box that interfaces the car to the computer. VIDA is Volvo's diagnostic software. Sold as a package (VIDA/DiCE).

Stage 0 the car then modify it. The intake and airbox of the car are the best designed parts... Good to more HP than you will ever use. Just don't go too crazy and make sure to pick the right tuner... or you'll break a cylinder wall!

Google Hilton tuning.

Forget IPD or Elevate. Look at Do88 or Snabb if you really want an intake pipe for some dumb reason.

Why not K&N? I've run it since 2003 and no issues!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Depends which K&N filter. Non-oiled is fine, oiled will eventually ruin your MAF. Not much reason to go for either over stock, as it's not much of a performance bottleneck.

Ditto with the OTE/charge air pipe. On a stock turbo, even at higher states of tune, it's not the big bottleneck in the system, so no practical reason to replace unless it's actually broken.

Herf n Turf, you should do some reading on here if you're trying to screw more performance out of your R, identify what the actual performance bottlenecks are instead of just replacing likely-sounding parts. Intercooler, downpipe, and exhaust should come first, don't really need to touch intake parts until you get past stage 2.

*tips fedora to m'flash*
      Electric Silver 06 S60R 6SPD GT. Build thread here
      Follow my obsession on Instagram: @kay_yass https://www.instagram.com/kay_yass/
      Quote Originally Posted by rmorse View Post
      Quote Originally Posted by AthruC View Post
      It is flaccid in nature, and makes me uncomfortable to talk about.
      Ugh. Story of my life.

I dont know whats the issue you guys having with oiled K&N filter. Iv been running mine for close to 2 years and never had problems. Ran EST oiled filter for close to 2 years as well and never had issue with the MAF nor CEL. Even had AFE Pro 5R oiled filter and never had single issue.

Quote Originally Posted by 3AK47 View Post
      I dont know whats the issue you guys having with oiled K&N filter. Iv been running mine for close to 2 years and never had problems. Ran EST oiled filter for close to 2 years as well and never had issue with the MAF nor CEL. Even had AFE Pro 5R oiled filter and never had single issue.
      Yeah, some of the filters come over dosed with oil so you have to put them outside and let them sit in a warm environment to let them dry out before using them.
      Ugh. Story of my life.

^ Good point. I dont also use the refill kit to restore the filter. I just get a new one.

Oh and OP. Save the hustle and get Hilton Tune like the rest of us recommend. Had a custom dyno tune and it was SH!T. Had Stage 2 in my previous GT and Stage 2.5 in my current MT. Works amazing and excellent customer service/feedback from the Mr. Hilton himself!

Quote Originally Posted by 3AK47 View Post
      ^ Good point. I dont also use the refill kit to restore the filter. I just get a new one.

Oh and OP. Save the hustle and get Hilton Tune like the rest of us recommend. Had a custom dyno tune and it was SH!T. Had Stage 2 in my previous GT and Stage 2.5 in my current MT. Works amazing and excellent customer service/feedback from the Mr. Hilton himself!
      +1 Robert is a great guy. If you can't afford his pricing, talk to @contrast here on SS.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk
      Ugh. Story of my life.

Eyyy, thanks man for the word 😍
      2004 S60R MT | Sapphire Black | Atacama | Tuned by myself | And a lot more...

Quote Originally Posted by contrast View Post
      Eyyy, thanks man for the word 😍
      😜🙏🐍🎉😘

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk
      Ugh. Story of my life.

Quote Originally Posted by Hounddogger View Post

Google Hilton tuning.

Quote Originally Posted by taloras View Post
      Depends which K&N filter. Non-oiled is fine, oiled will eventually ruin your MAF. Not much reason to go for either over stock, as it's not much of a performance bottleneck.

Ditto with the OTE/charge air pipe. On a stock turbo, even at higher states of tune, it's not the big bottleneck in the system, so no practical reason to replace unless it's actually broken.

Herf n Turf, you should do some reading on here if you're trying to screw more performance out of your R, identify what the actual performance bottlenecks are instead of just replacing likely-sounding parts. Intercooler, downpipe, and exhaust should come first, don't really need to touch intake parts until you get past stage 2.
      Thanks again for the helpful replies, fella's. I have been doing a little more research and indeed it seems that a true FMIC is the way to go. The price for the "Ultimate" isn't too awful, but it appears the labor for the install might be scary. IIRC, the guys at Snabb said something like 6 hours. Does that sound about right?

As far as the intake, I've just always assumed everything benefited from more available air, which in my own defense, is true in approximately 90% of applications.

Since I already have the ipd cat-back, do I need to stay with them for the dp too? In addition to being on killer sale, I prefer the noise to the other two I've heard, Borla being a fairly close second.

I really don't want to get involved in engine internals. I just want to get to 350 bhp, or close thereto and call it a day. Will the above (with the Hilton flash) get me there, or reasonably close?

Turbo-back exhaust and FMIC is stage 2. With a good tune and those mods, you'll get right around that goal. And no, the brands of downpipes don't need to match as long as they're all drop-in replacements: I'm running a RacerTodd/RaceS60R downpipe with an Evolve exhaust, and fitment for both was perfect.

22. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements