engine remove
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Thread: engine remove

engine remove

Hello there,
      novice needs help. Question is simple, but want to be sure - is possible to remove V8 engine from Volvo S80 thru opened front of the car? I mean, if I will remove front bumper, lights, all the plastics, then radiators and metal bar... if it will be possible to pull out the engine+transmision+subframe thru this hole in front.
      I need to do some repairs on my V8, and it will be much more simple to get all these things out. But I don't have big jack, only small cart on which I could lay the subframe+stuff down and then just pull out. But first must by 100% sure, it is possible to do this way.
      Thanks for help.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Well there are instructions for it on VIDA and it looks like quite the process, but the official instructions say nothing about removing it through the front of the car so I don't know that it's possible.
      2007 Volvo S80 V8 83K Miles.

What do you have to do to your v8 that requires removal of everything?
      2002 S60 T5M
      235K miles
      Black Sapphire Metallic

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Yes, you're right. Vida says, that engine should be removed downwards. I saw the whole process... But problem is, that I don't have a big jack, so I can't lift up whole car. That's the reason of asking my question. I need to get it out thru open front - if it is possible.
      I need to do couple of jobs - 1. exchange powersteering box, 2. exchange valve cover gaskets and 3. (and that's the main reason why to do it) exchange torque converter seal. Why? Because in place where is engine and transmision connected I have small oil leak (about 3-5 drops / weak). And it is red oil, which means it must be ATF...
      I saw also in VIDA procedure for removing powersteering box, and it seems to be quite complicated (rear end of subframe must be disconected from chasis, engine mount removed etc...). So I thing it really doesn't matter if to do this and plus remove transmision, or just remove whole stuff and do it comfortable out of the car.
      What do you think?
      Would you do this job only because of few drops of oil leak? Or just check ATF level once a year and leave it leaking...?

How many miles do you have on it? If it's only a few drops and it still drives fine I wouldn't want to tear the whole thing apart. Although checking the fluid level can be complicated since there isn't a dipstick
      2002 S60 T5M
      235K miles
      Black Sapphire Metallic

It has 381 000 km = 238 000 miles..? A week ago I was checking the compresion presure, but engine seems to be still OK (about 13bars on all cylinders), so even the higher milage have no effect on general condition. Also transmision is working good. The only issue is that leak. But maybe you're right - maybe it is not a good idea to do such a big procedure only because of few drops of oil...

9. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements