HELP : advice needed- 4 cracked cylinder liners - last week diagnosed with faulty turbo, head gasket replacement
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

HELP : advice needed- 4 cracked cylinder liners - last week diagnosed with faulty turbo, head gasket replacement

HELP Have to replace cracked cylinders after being told the head gasket needed replacing.

Really need advice here.

In 2014 I purchased a 2007 c30 t5 with low mileage (approx 80,000 km)
      Purchased 3rd party warranty and fulfilled their requirements of 6mth oil and filter change.
      I followed the volvo service recommendation 96K inspection & servicing (odometer reading 100684km ) June 2016
      All work done has by an independent certified Volvo master mechanic

So for the life of me I cannot understand what has gone wrong, trying to make sense.
      Maybe one of you reading this can help clarify or tell me what's going on.

I apologize for this very lengthy message

January 12/17 Brought car in for oil change, as well as Front end noise to my Volvo mechanic.
      Odo: 105337km

I wanted my Volvo mechanic to service it, however warranty insurance insisted it inspected by their mechanic And they assured me he was experienced in volvos.
      I did as recommended, telling their mechanic of the front end noise ( im not surenif i told him My own mechanic thought it was a Possible wheel bearing.)

He diagnosed front left wheel bearing. 105,448 km
      Made an appt for the earliest date they had 1 wk later
      Odo: 105,590 km

Waited in next room while it was worked on
      If I wasn't alarmed when I saw him reading the manual for doing the job, I was certainly alarmed with loud metal banging sounds similar to someone hammering an anvil .
      AND even more alarmed when I saw the mechanic carry this very large part out of his garage into the next garage. And then back again 15 to 30 minutes later.

When I asked about it, he said he had to remove the steering knuckle in order to replace the part.

He took the car for what looked like a test drive, leaving the garage driving away for a small bit and then coming back.

And heres where everything starts to fall apart

I drive out of the mechanics, filled up with gas down the street.
      Within 2 -4 km
      The engine light came on briefly , then went off and then on again. By this time I was halfway home of the approx 14 km ride.
      I did not know what to do: go back to the mechanic, go to my mechanic, or go home and call warranty?

I opted for going home, calling mechanic that just serviced it
      Who told me to bring it in.
      He read the cars computer , came up with a few codes that he could not decipher. He wrote it down for me. Also Told me it would take a while so I went home with the
      Codes he wrote down were
      603CH / 24636
      126CH / 4716
      310H / 12592
      3100 speed sensor engine

Then he texted me that the engine was misfiring and I needed to have it looked at by a Volvo mechanic. I contacted the warranty company and they okayed my Volvo mechanic to inspect.

My mechanic phoned me :
      Blown Head gasket
      3 Cylinders misfired
      Coolant leaking into them

Reason-
      Arm in Turbo housing sticking caused this
      Estimates
      $7400 plus tax shipping
      Handling

Warranty company will max cover 3000$

*** BUT it doesn't end there.

Yesterday (1 wk later) my Volvo mechanic called with new development.

... as he was "removing the components
      To clean them, getting prepped for the new components, he is now seeing 4 cylinders with cracked liners."

And that he is looking for a used engine.
      When I asked approximately how much that would be he could not give me a dollar figure!

He did offer to not charge me for the instalment/labour of the used engine.

Is this an admission of guilt I wonder?

And all this time I have not received a written estimate or quote from my Volvo mechanic.
      Although my warranty company did receive the invoice. I have requested it but have not received it.

however the warranty company have sent a check in the mail to me

About now everybody is starting to sound suspicious to me.

today, I received a phone message from my Volvo mechanic saying that the "short engine block is $2000"
      On top of 8700$

I have left three phone messages today asking for a written cost that itemizes everything. I have asked why I am being charged for a head gasket when he's putting in a used engine block. I have asked him about the discrepancy of the first quote I got over the phone from him.
      And I told him I am not giving him the go ahead for the engine until I have a price quote in front of me.

And no answer. No emailed quote!!!

I wanted to get the information before I actually go down with my friends husband. I am female, on disability and short of cash. I do not want the runaround and anyway you get the picture.

Any advice would be so helpful.

As I have so many questions ...

Who, in this mess is responsible?
      1/ Volvo Canada ,
      2/ Lubrico Warranty,
      3/ Lubrico's mechanic
      4/ Local independent mechanic certified by Volvo, previously employed at Oakville Volvo as a Volvo master mechanic.

How could a Volvo with low mileage driven by myself, (who my daughter jokingly tells me I drive like an old lady and I think to myself well I'm getting older…) have cracked cylinder walls? Is this a Volvo's fault?

why was none of this discovered during the 96K inspection? When the volvo mechanic replace the spark plugs for example or the numerous oil changes, or multiple inspections or during the test drives that either mechanic had done?

Is it not customary for mechanics to do a computer reading during an inspection, A five minute procedure? With the reader that one can buy on Amazon!

Originally i saw fault with the warranty company And their mechanic. Now i don't know. Because of all the confusing things that have spiralled out of control. But this is the reason that I thought he/warranty company was responsible.
      His inspection was a partial inspection!
      Missing this Diagnostic test (which missed the faulty turbo which led to a blown head gasket.)
      In Addition, he missed any symptoms of turbo when he test drove the car.

He has the responsibility to fully inspect the noise of the car in a manner that is consistent ...that is what i paid for... An inspection! His was a partial inspection that missed part of the problem.

This in turn ultimately and quickly lead to the blown head gasket .

AND if it had been fully and correctly inspected and diagnosed, I certainly would not then have driven my car,
      as I would've left it at the garage until it was fixed.
      Last edited by Tryst; 02-17-2017 at 12:36 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

A lawyer may be in order...

Quote Originally Posted by RYJS60 View Post
      A lawyer may be in order...
      Yes, I am beginning to think that. I think if I had to deal with this on an every day matter I would know exactly where to turn but boy is it emotionally taxing !

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I did find this on the forum which has open my eyes a bit!

http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthr...he-week-before

... "it was there, originally the crack in the cylinder wall that is...the mechanic was not experienced to see it...seen in first hand...if you would have the old head gasket you would see there was nothing wrong with it and that would prove the problem was cracked cylinder wall to start out with... "
      Last edited by Tryst; 02-17-2017 at 10:37 AM.

"short engine block is $2000" - seems high, you can probably find a complete T5 5-cylinder long block for less on eBay or contact www.erievovo.com and see if they can pull a motor for you.

8700$ - is this for completely rebuilt block and head, or just installing the short block?

He should have pulled codes, not sure if a low boost pressure or other would have identified the failing turbo. Is he stating the turbo created excess boost which caused the cylinders to crack?

A low mileage motor from erievovo might be a more cost effect solution.

chris@swedespeed.com | instagram.com/swedespeed
      2013 C30 Polestar - #141/250 -
      Rebel Blue, 6MT, Climate, RearVision camera
      2016 XC90 R-Design T6 - Passion Red, air suspension, B&W, Vision, Convenience, Polestar
      2015.5 V60 T6 R-Design Platinum - Rebel Blue, snabb intake, do88 FMIC, KPAX exhaust, KW V3 coilovers

Quote Originally Posted by chris@swedespeed View Post
      "short engine block is $2000" - seems high, you can probably find a complete T5 5-cylinder long block for less on eBay or contact www.erievovo.com and see if they can pull a motor for you.

8700$ - is this for completely rebuilt block and head, or just installing the short block?

He should have pulled codes, not sure if a low boost pressure or other would have identified the failing turbo. Is he stating the turbo created excess boost which caused the cylinders to crack?

Thank you for getting back to me. Interesting to find the differrent prices .

In answer to your question, The $8700 was for the engine head , gasket, and turbo only. Parts and labour.
      The $2000 is additional and added once he determined that the cylinder liners were cracked.

Since the discovery of the cracked cylinder liners, the mechanic was in a hurry and didnt even discuss the options of purchase, nor the price of the short block.

I have an image of the 8700$ invoice that was sent to innitally a week ago to the warranty company... They finally forwarded it to me. Not sure how to upload the image.
      I still havent heard back from the volvo mechanic that is working on my car regarding a quote that i asked to be emailed.
      I do have the voice recordings of the voice mail. But he doesnt break down the cost.

He did say that he had never seen nor experienced cracked cylinder liners before.

He initially stated to me that the turbo created excess boost which caused or forced coolant which cause the blown engine head gasket . This is just what I wrote down following as he told me what was going on. It's all Greek to me so I didn't follow up with any other questions. Then a week later that's when he found the 4 cracked Cylinder liners
      On the invoice he noted he did a compression test and
      Fault Trace - ECM 603C

I'm not saying this can't happen, I've never heard of a turbo having over boost and causing that kind of damage. I would have thought that excessive heat would cause the sleeves to crack.

I'm not saying this can't happen, I've never heard of a turbo having over boost and causing that kind of damage. I would have thought that excessive heat would cause the sleeves to crack.
      Would this information be present with in the car's computer? And is there anyway to follow up on this and determine if it actually did happen?

Or is the sticky arm in the turbo housing a completely separate thing?

How does one separate truth from fiction in a factual way?

Hi Chris, I realized I did not answer all of your questions. The Volvo mechanic did not say what caused the cylinders to crack .

If he did pull that specific code, he did not say. On the invoice to the warranty company , 1 week previous to finding the cracked cylinders, he noted a Fault Trace - ECM 603C
      BUT NOT the code pertaining to the cracked cylinders.

When he told me he had never seen cracked cylinder liners before, it was 1 week after his diagnostics, when he was about to install The parts he had ordered for the engine head.

HOWEVER, earlier that week the previous mechanic, the one associated with thewarranty company, did pull a list of codes that he shared with me, however that was when he advised me that I needed to bring my car that my car needed to be seen by Volvo mechanic. He did not explain what the codes meant.
      They were 603CH / 24636
      126CH / 4716
      310H / 12592

I am wondering what your thoughts might be.

ALSO I appreciate you mentioning Erie Volvo as a source for a full engine block. And with a full lifetime warranty. Pretty amazing.

HOWEVER, the Volvo mechanic has without my consent already gone ahead and bought a short engine block and was going to start assembling "all the components"! (According to his phone message)

He was supposed to get back to me about the price for a replacement used engine block, but Did not wait even a few hours for me to listen to and return his phone message, AND he certainly didn't consult with me before purchasing the short engine block, And he did not discuss the options of a short engine block versus A complete long block.

I have never ever been in the situation before, where a mechanic is just acted so autonomously (and I have owned cars since I was 16 years old. Let's just say I'm no spring chicken) !
      Last edited by Tryst; 02-18-2017 at 03:02 AM.

I'm new to Volvo's, someone here that has more experience may be able to confirm or correct this. I don't there is a code that will specifically tell you, that you have cracked sleeves. I would think you may see a code that the car is running hot, it overheated or misfiring. Was the car misfiring or running rough when you brought to the shop? I would write down all the phone call you made to the mechanic, and may be start looking for a lawyer.

Quote Originally Posted by Tryst View Post
      Would this information be present with in the car's computer? And is there anyway to follow up on this and determine if it actually did happen?

Or is the sticky arm in the turbo housing a completely separate thing?

How does one separate truth from fiction in a factual way?

I'm new to Volvo's, someone here that has more experience may be able to confirm or correct this. I don't there is a code that will specifically tell you, that you have cracked sleeves. I would think you may see a code that the car is running hot, it overheated or misfiring. Was the car misfiring or running rough when you brought to the shop? I would write down all the phone call you made to the mechanic, and may be start looking for a lawyer.
      Well, I thought it sounded slightly different when I first started it after the Warranty company mechanic had installed the the front wheel bearing in their lot as i was about to drive away...

it was slight, a mere murmur and hardly noticable. Then within 2-4 km (approx 1 mile) that's when the engine light came on.
      I didnt notice any slipping or misfiring right away as its always had good pickup! I live rurally with roads where there are few cars so i rarely find myself in a position where i hav to overtake a vehicle.

However in the time that it took approx 30 km later when the volvo mechanic was driving me home , (after the warranty company spproved him fit for the job) was when it was noticeably slipping / misfiring.
      10 minutes later he phoned to say upon arriving at his garage was when he noticed the strong burnt coolant smell from the exhaust .

Quote Originally Posted by Tryst View Post
      In answer to your question, The $8700 was for the engine head , gasket, and turbo only. Parts and labour.
      The $2000 is additional and added once he determined that the cylinder liners were cracked.
      Not worth spending that much on a 2007. If you still have the $3000 from warranty, can't you just walk away and let them keep the car in exchange for the work they have done so far? Then buy a $3000 Honda or Toyota.

15. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements